• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Illumination can make great movies, and it's not for lack of trying.

The first 2 Despicable Me movies were fun. The Grinch was pretty enjoyable, too, and they actually tried with that one. The artstyle is very whimsical and Seussian, and it is nowhere near is insulting as The Lorax was. The problem with Illumination lies with their parent company, Universal Pictures. They want Illumination's movies to appeal to the masses and be over-commercialized, and that works well in the finance and business sense of things. On the critical side of things, though, it leads to a safe and ultimately mediocre product. They want it to be trendy and hip, but that lessens the movie's quality. If anything, Universal should give Illumination some autonomy, and the freedom to do their own thing. It will allow them to make high-quality animated films, not to mention acclaim. I really hope that the Mario movie will be Illumination's big comeback (their Spider-Verse, so to speak), especially with the oversight of Mario creator Miyamoto himself, but we will just have to see.

elyshh

Overall, Illumination has been a bit of a mixed bag. They made some genuinely good films, but their biggest problem is that they are too focused on making films that will please the masses and make money, instead of taking risks to create something truly unique and special. That being said, I remain hopeful that Illumination will make a great movie one day, and that it will be worth the wait.

ToonsJazzLover

They have a very exciting future which hopefully this means they'll finally be taken seriously just like Sony Animation/Blue Sky. The Mario movie is going to make or break its reputation. They're also making an adult animation studio called Moonlight, which is a plus.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Bump.

Sooo... Mario was a flop, right?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The Lorax I think could have been an okay movie if executives hadn’t interfered during the production. I heard the movie was supposed to be quite different and not have the bear and fish creatures or the annoying family as much and the Once-ler was supposed to become more like his book and classic cartoon version and slowly become corrupt due to greed. He even had a cut song that demonstrated the change in his personality and it is a really good song! The storyboard for this cut song shows the destruction of the forest and how the animals were suffering and barely had any food to eat and resorting to going through garbage cans. Apparently the studio executives didn’t like this and made everyone make the movie more cheerful and colorful while shoving the wannabe Minions into viewers’ faces as much as possible.