• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I'm Back! Nice to See You, Alola! (1126)

TheCrazyMaster

I..... had mixed feelings about this episode.

First off, I love the fact that Go and his Pokemon's more reserved personalities didn't mesh well with the welcome with open arms personality of the people and Pokemon of Alola. It was really funny seeing them out of their element.
Rotom phone roasting Rotom dex, f*** da wuuuuuuuut!
I'm glad that Sophocles' goal wasn't forgotten about and that this episode made it clear that he's going to continue pursuing his goal of being an astronaut, and also that Mallows goal was brought up and that her juice and Pokemon food were brought up.
I also enjoyed Go talking to Kiawe about how he viewed Ash in relation to himself.
I also thought that this was generally one of the best showcases of non gen 1 pandering since the B&W era.

But... I had mixed and negative feelings regarding everything else that happened in this episode.

Ash's Alolan team was barely even around for this episode. We didn't even get to see any of their signature personalities, and we didn't get to see Ash properly introduce them to his WC team. And shouldn't Go have been frolicking at the sight of Lycanroc and Melmetal?
*Also this is slightly more of a nitpick than a complaint, but you're telling me hugs were involved in this ep, and Dragonite wasn't a part of it???)
I also feel upset that Burnet and Kukui were barely even around for this episode
While it was nice seeing TR's Pokemon, I feel like their cameo was a blink and you'll miss them moment.
Why didn't we learn more about what Lana and Kiawe have been doing lately?
Speaking of Kiawe, one of the things that I liked most about him in S&M was that he was a serious guy amongst a group of more carefree people (except when he was a total ham). But in this episode, and as much as I hate to say it, considering he was one of my favorite S&M characters..... he was a straight up asshole. Sure, I could justify possibly coming to the conclusion that Ash's current traveling companion would also be his rival, considering how Misty and Brock were also traveling companions of Ash who were also powerful trainers, but that's still no excuse to act so tough around Go and talk to him as though he's obligated to groom Ash into a more powerful trainer. Also why didn't Ash tell him that they weren't rivals when he brought it up?
Their battle, despite supposedly being the highlight of the episode was bare bones and more talk.
Did we really need an entire segment dedicated to Lillie, that could have been used for more screen time for the people who were actually there? At most, I would have been happy with her being touched upon briefly the same way Brock was touched upon when Ash and Dawn told Iris and Cilan about him.

But I feel like I need to talk about the baby, because this was the part that I was looking forward to most in this episode. I was so excited for how Ash would react to the revelation that in his absence, Kukui and Burnet had gained a new addition to their family, and the shock and awe and happiness Ash would feel..... only for it to be revealed that he contacted them and found out about the baby in off screen land. Aside from that cute little moment where Ash held the Lei's hand and let him slap his cheek, Ash's reaction to seeing the baby was... boring.

Anyways, I sincerely hope that the rest of you enjoyed this episode more than I did, and hopefully my review doesn't ruin your own experience.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Kiawe was basically telling Goh to lay off his man, but then they came to an agreement after realizing that they could just share him.
Now let Serena take the Kiawe Ash Test.
Since when has Ash ever kept out of private affairs that don't concern him? Intentionally or unintentionally, Ash has always, one way or another, helped out other people regardless of who they were or what situation they were in. This whole 'private family affairs' argument is pure nonsense. He's literally helped out over 1ooo0 characters of the day, and now he's supposed to draw the line with his close friend Lillie?

So bad. So bad.
I wish this show actually showed the repercussions of not listening to people telling Ash to back off but he still insists in helping, but the universe simply structures itself so that Ash suffers no scoldings or physical punishment because in the end he proves to be a key solution anyway. I want him to suffer when going against someone's words because he wants to help, but...nope. That'll never happen.

Little Witch Academia and Brand New Animal perfectly showed when the main character REALLY needs to back off even if they want to do good.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I wish this show actually showed the repercussions of not listening to people telling Ash to back off but he still insists in helping, but the universe simply structures itself so that Ash suffers no scoldings or physical punishment because in the end he proves to be a key solution anyway. I want him to suffer when going against someone's words because he wants to help, but...nope. That'll never happen.
It just seems an odd nitpick to focus on, when if anything the bigger issue in the real world is people not helping when they should/could. It's also pretty rare for Ash to be told to "back off" as you put it, and it hasn't happened at all regarding Mohn.

RafaSceptile

It just seems an odd nitpick to focus on, when if anything the bigger issue in the real world is people not helping when they should/could. It's also pretty rare for Ash to be told to "back off" as you put it, and it hasn't happened at all regarding Mohn.

Also the SM main character also help regardless the situation, such as Ash in the SM anime

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I find funny that Kiawe then Goh kept talking about Ash while he was just sitting there quiet. I dunno, it's a bit awkward.

Like I sorta wish Ash would just "I'll battle any of you whenever you want, don't need to make a show of it"

Yce288

Grass type FTW
Good episode.
i liked the use of SM music in this episode.
also i think this episode is similar to episode 42 of SM, the whole episode is a fan service so the writers were like:why not put a swimsuit scene in it? (in episode 42 of SM's case the Lana and Misty dive scene and in this episode's case the Alolan Exeggutor getting captured by Go scene).
and i hope Go will find out that Ash is the champion of the Alola region the next time they visit Alola.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I haven’t smiled this wide, ear-to-ear, for the entirety of a Pokémon episode in a long while.

It’s honestly incredible how nostalgic I am for Gen 7 in general, given it’s just been 4 years. The atmosphere for this region has a lasting effect no matter the series and I consider it some of the best worldbuilding work they’ve done in the anime.

Loved nearly everything about the episode: from Ash meeting the Kukui family & his Pokémon again, to the Lillie and Gladion update, to the TR team cameo. Lana catching Go and Raboot was brilliant as well, if we meet more companions in the future I really hope they have Ash & Go encounter each one of them in ways as unique and in-character as this one.

I appreciate what they did with Go and Kiawe. This is the first time that an interaction was kind of antagonistic between companions? And yes I know Kiawe wasn’t bullying Go, but I really like how they didn’t make him instantly buddy buddy with him and gave him doubts about Go’s validity of being Ash’s presumed rival (just proves that Kiawe is Ash’s best male companion!). The only thing I didn’t like was practically skipping the whole battle and, for some inexplicable reason, bailing Go out of taking any damage. Go’s obligatory speech was actually nice though. It was worded strongly and really showed the character’s determination well. Just an odd sequence of events leading up to and after the moment.

Last edited:

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
For the people complaining at the baby and Ash still being 10 years old don't forget he is in a coma that explains it lol.
Actually, according to the end of Best Wishes, the entirety of the pokémon series is Samuel Oak's dream, where Ash is what he could've been had he not gone into research instead

I don't blame people for missing that, since they were desperate for BW to just end and move onto something - literally anything - else, since it had limped on for another two seasons after the league for some godforsaken reason