• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I'm Back! Nice to See You, Alola! (1126)

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I adored this episode. It was so wholesome. This episode almost made me tear up with Ash meeting Lei and being called Big Brother. I recall how in the beginning of XY, Ash mentioned how having a sibling and traveling with them would be so much fun. Now that his Alolan family has expanded he can now do that (if they ever have the courage to age him up). He even blushed when called big brother. It was so sweet. I'm a sucker for non-bloodline family units. Family can also be made from people you choose as well.

The Alolan kids were nice to see as well. Kiawe being all Kahuna on Goh was interesting. It almost mirrored how he behaved with Ash in the beginning. How intimidating he appeared but in reality was a teddy bear. Sophocles continuing his interest in space was interesting as I get the feeling like we might get an episode with him, Ash, and Goh in Mossdeep City later on. It would be interesting if we got a redux of the ORAS Zinnia plot with them instead. Mallow. It was nice seeing Lana be the one to keep in contact with Lillie as it was shown she still keeps in contact with Misty. I'm sure we'll get a Journeys arc with the Aether family. We must. We need to see that resolved onscreen after so much build up. I love how she wrote Ash's name in the letter after knowing he was leaving Alola after she left. Goes to show that Ash and Lillie also have a strong bond.

Goh was good here too. This episode really showed how introverted he actually is. His moment where he stood up for himself in front of Kiawe was good. Thr "I have no intention of helping Ash with his dream." part took me by surprise. That is typically the antithesis of what the show preaches. Ash and his friends have always helped each other while progressing towards their dreams. I mean even Journeys shows that when Ash is always willing to help Goh look for Pokémon to catch. Yet, when Ash has his own interest in a Pokémon, Goh shows a bit of jealousy or wish to catch them himself like Gengar and Farfetch'd. He also helped train with Riolu so... he does end up helping Ash as well. I was a bit confused on why his comment was seen as a good thing. I mean it came off as sincere but totally against what Pokémon preaches.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Goh was good here too. This episode really showed how introverted he actually is. His moment where he stood up for himself in front of Kiawe was good. Thr "I have no intention of helping Ash with his dream." part took me by surprise. That is typically the antithesis of what the show preaches. Ash and his friends have always helped each other while progressing towards their dreams. I mean even Journeys shows that when Ash is always willing to help Goh look for Pokémon to catch. Yet, when Ash has his own interest in a Pokémon, Goh shows a bit of jealousy or wish to catch them himself like Gengar and Farfetch'd. He also helped train with Riolu so... he does end up helping Ash as well. I was a bit confused on why his comment was seen as a good thing. I mean it came off as sincere but totally against what Pokémon preaches.
I think the indication was more like "You talk as if my job is to support his dream. To hell with that, if you wanna make your dream come true you gotta put in the legwork! Sure, if he asks for and needs my help I'll help him, but he has his own goals, and I have mine, and you have no right to demand I put my own goals on hold just to back up him!"

...It's difficult to put into words. But I think that's roughly what he was getting at.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I agree with that notion.

Goh was Ash to suceed on his goal but that doesn't mean he should prevent himself from following his as well. Friends are meant to count on each other not be completly depended on each other.

In a meta sense, I'd dare to say it was even a stealth critic/commentary to previous male companions.

RafaSceptile

I agree with that notion.

Goh was Ash to suceed on his goal but that doesn't mean he should prevent himself from following his as well. Friends are meant to count on each other not be completly depended on each other.

In a meta sense, I'd dare to say it was even a stealth critic/commentary to previous male companions.

I think this is a critic especially to Brock who was in the cast during ~600 Episodes and Clemont because everyone in XY was an Ash fanboy. At least Clemont had a justification by his admiration, which is one of the reasons why he is one of my favorite characters currently.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I think the indication was more like "You talk as if my job is to support his dream. To hell with that, if you wanna make your dream come true you gotta put in the legwork! Sure, if he asks for and needs my help I'll help him, but he has his own goals, and I have mine, and you have no right to demand I put my own goals on hold just to back up him!"

...It's difficult to put into words. But I think that's roughly what he was getting at.

Okay yeah that makes sense. Kiawe was pretty pushy in making Goh fit into Kiawe's views as Ash's friend and rival.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Unless I really missed something, did the episode retcon the goals of the classmates completely ?

I don't recall any update on the goals of any of the classmates. Even Lillie didn't mention anything about how far she got into her search for Mohn. All we know is that she changed vehicle. Sophocles didn't mention anything about his time in Hoenn. Kaiwe didn't say anything. Neither did Lana.
...No, no and no.

Mao's dream: Mentioned.
Mamane's time in Hoenn and what he hopes to accomplish: Mentioned.
The current status of the Mohn search: Mentioned. Insofar as it can be at least seeing how their search literally just amounts to "We know this guy is somewhere." Anything beyond a vague "We are starting to narrow down the potential area where he could be" would not make in-universe sense.

I mean yeah they didn't give any status update on Kaki's vague goal of "becoming the wielder of the life-nurturing flames" or whatever Suiren actually wanted to accomplish (only thing I can remember is being able to travel underwater in a bubble... which was a goal she reached halfway through the show) but to claim that they "retconned" their goals or didn't say anything about them is just demonstrably false.

Last edited:

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
...No, no and no.
Mao's dream: Mentioned.
Mamane's time in Hoenn and what he hopes to accomplish: Mentioned.
The current status of the Mohn search: Mentioned. Insofar as it can be at least seeing how their search literally just amounts to "We know this guy is somewhere." Anything beyond a vague "We are starting to narrow down the potential area where he could be" would not make in-universe sense.

I mean yeah they didn't give any status update on Kaki's vague goal of "becoming the wielder of the life-nurturing flames" or whatever Suiren actually wanted to accomplish (only thing I can remember is being able to travel underwater in a bubble... which was a goal she reached halfway through the show) but to claim that they "retconned" their goals or didn't say anything about them is just demonstrably false.

What the hell was I watching ?? Sorry and thanks anyway. Deleted my comment.

But I don't remember that scene in the image. I watched the episode at a site different from my usual, that may be the cause the eating scene was missing.

Last edited:

xEryChan

Demon Child
So, I watched this episode and tbh, I liked it, I wasn’t really a fan of the SM anime, I did watch several episodes but dropped it following the Necrozma arc. I will admit I enjoyed seeing the classmates again. This aftually episode made me like Goh more thsn I already did. I really liked his moment where he says he isn’t Ash’s rival.

Very good watch.

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
Yeah, so I rewatched this episode recently and I have to say it was nothing but average. I enjoyed the Sun & Moon Series a lot so it makes sense that all the enjoyment I had in this episode came from Ash reuniting with his Pokemon, his Friends, his Alolan Family and just the return of the mood of Alola in general. I didn't like any of the Gou parts and this episode perfectly explains my problems with Gou as a character.

First and foremost, he decided to evolve the Exeggcute without even asking it, without even caring for its feelings. Like what if they didn't want to evolve? He just throwed the Leaf Stone on them. And immediately after they evolve into Exeggutor, the first thing he does is check if the New Pokemon's Data is added instead of actually looking at the Pokemon and thereby he treats it like a collection and as a thing. Then the part where he and Ash run off from Kukui's House where he says "I wanna capture all the Regional Variants along with Alolan Exeggutor too!!" rubs me the wrong way. Does this guy not care about anything else in life? Is that it for him? Treating Pokemon as collectibles and souvenirs? Immediately after checking Pyukumuku, he just throws his Pokeball to capture it. Like really?

All this seemingly to me contradicts what lessons this Anime has taught over 22 Years (before the start of PM2019), that to let everyone know, Pokemon have feelings too and it has taught us that in different ways. But the complete the nail on the hammer are the parts Gou has with Kiawe. Things like making the Companions clap for him in order to praise and push forward the Writer's Pet which is in this series Gou. I also have to say the Kiawe Z-Move Animation was lazily reused from Sun & Moon (including the stocks) which was disgusting. The Battle itself-- There was no battle really, it was just an immediate Z-Move.

At least these are just some of my thoughts. I enjoyed everything else in the episode though. I liked the indirect references to SM Episode 1 with how Gou met Lana, chasing after a Grubbin and etc. It was all well done. I just don't like this Co-Protagonist, I think he is ruining my enjoyment of this series, that's all.

RafaSceptile

Reviewing the Pokémon anime in 10 words or less:
"Alolan Fanservice, the episode"

Epidose: 10/10
On the other hand, this episode is a good example about some of my problems with Journeys, the episode itself as a oneshot history is very good, but when you combine it with other episodes as a single history, is very bad.

First and foremost, he decided to evolve the Exeggcute without even asking it, without even caring for its feelings. Like what if they didn't want to evolve?
If Exeggcute didn't want to evolve, it would dodge the Leaf Stone, is not different to a Pokémon that don't want to be captured avoiding the Poké Ball, is not hard to understand.

The Pokémon YouTube channel uploaded the scene of Ash's returning at his Alola's home:

I'm not familiarized with the English Dub, but Abe and Melissa sounds good as Kukui and Burnet respectively.
On another hand, The Pokémon YouTube channel reuploaded this scene but adding the first scene with Kukui at the airport