• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I'm getting a PS2 and I need some games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOLBat13

Pancakes!
You're NOW just getting a PS2?..Wow but I say you should get the two Kingdom Hearts games, trust me, they are both amazing games.
They are Final Fantasy like

Chris

Old Coot
I'm still going to say KH. Also, get the guidebook for it, it helps a a lot, as some of the boss fights are hard to beat.
KH? Hard?

lmao Simply press X repeatedly when it works. Use magic when physical attacks don't. This is especially effective with KH2, which basically gives you GodMod powers after progressing through the game. How people believe KH is hard is absolutely mind-blowing. Want hard? Play the original and Xbox versions of Ninja Gaiden.

You're NOW just getting a PS2?..Wow but I say you should get the two Kingdom Hearts games, trust me, they are both amazing games.
KH is absolutely NOTHING like the FF games. I can't think of a single PS2 FF title that plays anything like KH. FFXII's combat system is still completely different.

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
Unless you somehow become addicted to the plot, I'd only recommend the first Kingdom Hearts game. The second one is pretty ridiculous when it comes to the difficulty (though it does have some more replay value than the first game) on the first run-through.

And because a fair few people have mentioned it, the Ratchet and Clank series is pretty good, though the PS2 sequels are all easier than the first game, imo (and though the sequels are more or less only to satisfy the player's curiosity to the plot, they're still pretty fun, especially the second game). It is somewhat a shooter (well, adventure moreso, actually, but contains shooter elements) but doesn't really involve a lot of strategy (especially the sequels). I recommend you only get the first game, and if you like it, get the second. The third and fourth are pretty much just extentions to what worked on the second game.

Zabi

Not really here.
Also, I'm in the mood for an RPG.. Any RPG reccomendations that aren't by Square Enix?

If you want an RPG not done by Square Enix, I would definitely say Persona 3 FES or Persona 4. It has been recommended before, but they really are amazing games.

Geist

Great Old One
If you want an RPG not done by Square Enix, I would definitely say Persona 3 FES or Persona 4. It has been recommended before, but they really are amazing games.
And if you like those, then you should get all the other Shin Megami Tensei games. When it comes to JRPGs, those are among the best.

Chris

Old Coot
Enjoy emptying your wallet.

Nocturne and the Digital Devil Saga games are among the more expensive side.

Also, Persona and Persona 2 are meh.

Geist

Great Old One
Enjoy emptying your wallet.

Nocturne and the Digital Devil Saga games are among the more expensive side.

Also, Persona and Persona 2 are meh.

That's one of the few benefits of living in Germany: I got Nocturne for 10 euros and the Digital Devil Saga games for 30 each :D

NPC

sleep researcher
It's too bad you're getting a PS2 now, seeing as several good games will be hard to get without going broke, as it's been mentioned.

As far as non-Square-Enix RPG's go, try out Shadow Hearts: Covenant and From the New World, the PS2 Wild ARMs titles, Persona 4 (P3FES is also recommendable, but it may be unplayable for you if you play P4 before it), Grandia III, Tales of the Abyss, Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter, Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King, the .hack//G.U. games, the Xenosaga series (except Episode II)... well, there's a lot. On the more challenging (read: unforgiving, may make you suffer) spectrum, there's the ever-recommendable Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne and both Digital Devil Saga titles, but as it's been mentioned, they'll be hard to get at a sensible price. Bargain bins are always your friends.

And while I'm sucking up to ATLUS I'll also mention that Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon is coming out soon in NA, and it's a great game. But you'll have to play the first Devil Summoner to fully understand the plot, and that one's not so good. Might also be expensive.

In other genres I recommend the Fatal Frame trilogy and Rule of Rose (survival horror; RoR is a bit of an acquired taste), Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (action shooting), Rez and Space Channel 5: Special Edition (rhythm), Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (action), Tokobot Plus (platforming adventure), Robot Alchemic Drive (mecha action), among many others, and possibly my favorite PS2 game, Ico.

Let's just say that the PS2 has tons of great games and you should feel bad for getting one this late.

Chris

Old Coot
It's too bad you're getting a PS2 now, seeing as several good games will be hard to get without going broke, as it's been mentioned.
On the contrary, now's a great time.

$99 system, most games have dropped to $20 or lower (especially in used retailers), accessories are also dropping in price.

The only exceptions are mostly the Silent Hill and Shin Megami Tensei games, with a few being grossly overpriced by places like GameStop (Futurama, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Fatal Frame, etc.).

Cobalt_Latios

And because a fair few people have mentioned it, the Ratchet and Clank series is pretty good, though the PS2 sequels are all easier than the first game, imo (and though the sequels are more or less only to satisfy the player's curiosity to the plot, they're still pretty fun, especially the second game). It is somewhat a shooter (well, adventure moreso, actually, but contains shooter elements) but doesn't really involve a lot of strategy (especially the sequels). I recommend you only get the first game, and if you like it, get the second. The third and fourth are pretty much just extentions to what worked on the second game.
I'll say this much: 1 and 2 are great, 3 ain't bad - some of the weapons from 2 are improved somewhat - 4... you could skip it. Your not going to miss much. Unless you want a Halo-esque experience. It's no bad, it's just not nearly the same as the previous ones (it being too short killed it for me).

A great game I definitely recommend: Shadow of the Colossus. It's the best looking game for the PS2 and it's probably one of the more original titles for it. Also, Burnout 3/Revenge are also a good choice if you're into the racing games.

I haven't really had much in terms of RPGs, but I know the PS2 is crawling with them.

Oh, Sly Cooper series is a good purchase, as well as the Jak series (haven't played the second one, but the first one ain't bad).

*C_L*

NPC

sleep researcher
Cobalt_Latios said:
It's the best looking game for the PS2 and it's probably one of the more original titles for it.

I loved SotC, but I wouldn't call it the best-looking game on the PS2 by any stretch of the term. Or the most original.

Last edited:

Nidogod

As far as platformers go, Jak & Daxter is one of the best ever, the Ratchet & Clank series stays very strong across all the games, and Ape Escape 2 was a very under appreciated title, imo. If you don't mind using eBay you can even check out some good PS1 platformers like Crash Bandicoot Warped, the Spyro the Dragon series, Rayman, and Ape Escape 1. Most of the good RPGs have been named enough, except for Dragon Quest VIII, and Suikoden III.

Congratulations on getting a PS2. All in all I consider it the best console system ever made. It's dependable, affordable, and the game library is unmatched.

Last edited:

WhismuringLoudred

Munchlax ate my bike
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I beat Shadow of the Colossus and now I'm currently playing through Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid 2. After I'm done with those I'm gonna go and get Ratchet and Clank and Persona 4. Screw Persona 3! I'm getting 4.

Jaguar297

I'm back!
So, get a PS2? Depends what you like. If you like FPS games, get call of duty or something like that, if you like a various rated game choice, lifestyle choice, SIMs, but still, getting a PS2 Now?

Ajiryn

Eevee-lutionist

No. No. NO.

Dooooooooooon't even think about saying that to someone who played the originals. Kingdom Hearts is FAR from it.

However, I would agree in saying that Kingdom Hearts kicks mucho (donkey censored) and is worth trying out if RPGs are your forte!

Taito Legends is an interesting buy. See if you can locate it as a used game. ^_^

Armored Core 3 is a very unique Mecha game, and is also worth your time if you love giant robots.

Many of the other ones that I'd normally recommend have already been mentioned, so I'll leave it at that.

But, actually, if you dig around in the bargain bin, you should come across a few gems. Even as a Nintendo-guy, I must say that I have found numerous A-rank games for the PS2 when I wasn't even trying. Compared to the current game market, you have a minimal chance of being disappointed with your purchase. ^_^ Happy gaming.

TyranitarFan

Professional Badass
dude try out killzone1. its an FPS but i just LOVED it. you will too if you play it. does that suffice as a really good FPS game to you?

Zora

perpetually tired
Eh, I personally didn't care for the KH games. Don't go rush out and buy all of them-they're better ARPGs IMO. Just one of the two numbered ones to sample. My favorite battle system for the PS2 is Tales of Rebirth-but is an import and therefore one must find a way to play Japanese games and one must prepare for the language barrier. If you do get around to playing imports, then go ahead and get Tales of Destiny-R while you're at it.

Anyways, the PS2 has a lot of great games. I think Grumpy Old Man got the lot of them. I did enjoy Final Fantasy XII myself-but admittedly it's a hit or miss game. If you like it great, if you don't, whatever. Just keep our options open, since FFXII is either a gem or a bore depending on how you look at it and you may be passing a gem if you decide to ignore it.

Another case of a hit-or-miss is the Xenosaga series, from what I heard anyways. The most obvious characteristic is the amount of FMVs. SO. MANY. FMVs. The second game was also crap from what I heard-however if you endure it you can play Xenosaga III. Xenosaga III is praised largely for its story. Many people consider Xenosaga III to be a most enjoyable RPG-just requires some effort.

And that's about it IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.