• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I'm Gonna Get a Ton of Pokémon! The Road to Mew!! (1095)

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Would it have been so hard for Ash to go "Caterpie was my first capture!"?
This episode was utterly boring and annoying.

"Hey, let's show off a totally new feature for the Pokedex. But let's not have the more interesting character's dex be shown" It would have been an actual "For old fans" moment in which we see all of Ash's Pokemon including Raticate, Beedrill, and the various Ultra Beasts show up for a brief moment. (And also show new fans what Ash has/had, since you know.... they seem to refuse having a proper Lab episode with all the Kanto-Kalos squad members popping up -_-)

And Go just goes and literally does what Ash, May, and several other past characters were reprimanded for. Catching Pokemon without weakening them.... and no bonding either, they just lazily all get along with him in the end! And to top it off, Ash did nothing and was just a butt monkey.

0.5/10 - the small bit is only because of the new Pokedex feature which is actually interesting. Once again they missed chances of letting Ash get a brief minute(Is that so wrong?! Go's had every ****ing episode so far -_-) to catch something, and once again they passed up several chances to throw old fans a bone and let Ash mention the past sagas, or even a visual easter egg with Ash's Dex and every Pokemon he's owned!

I knew Go's goal would be boring but people were so quick to go "Give him a chance!". He's just as bad as Origins Red is...

Leonhart

Imagineer
Mr.Munchlax said:
True, but I’m willing to let it slide since Go’s catching methods seem to mainly be based on Pokémon Go. I mean his Rotom Phone even said “Nice,” “Great,” & “Excellent” a few times when catching a pokémon (though it was weird hearing those remarks in proper English instead of Engrish)

I didn't think of that, but I guess it would make sense. Personally, I thought that Gou having such an easy time catching so many Pokemon was because they were Bug-types, which are generally considered to be weak. So they wouldn't have put up as much of a fight in the first place from my viewpoint.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Twelve new pokémon, and Go only had to work for one of them

Urgh

I like how Go pulls 14 poké balls out of his pockets, and has an entire backpack filled with them, then catches 12 pokémon, only missing with four balls (pidgey, scyther x2, and venonat) then acts like he's out of them, even though he's got a solid thirty-plus in reserve

I HATE Gou's Rotom pokedex voice
It's literally the best character in the show

Screamydex is best dex

Jason White

AspiringPsych
I wasn't expecting much this episode and that paid off. It was quick but that's because I was waiting for the plot to start before I realised the plot was just catching Pokemon effortlessly. It felt weird having GO catching so many Pokemon for collective purposes. Something expected in the games but definitely something different to the anime which made catching Pokemon more a special event typically the focus of the episode with a lot of bonding.

Hopefully, TR will return for an episode soon. They could have done a lot for this episode.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
People keep saying Pidgeot was in the episode - was that what flew off when Go was facing the horde of Beedrill?

I wouldn't take that as proof that it's Ash's, because "birds taking flight" has always been a "character is in trouble" cutaway

Ties with the "there's no birds chirping" line to also signify danger

Arroz Nero

Poke-noob
So, they are trying to advertise the mobile game not the main ones? If they wanted to advertise all the games wouldn't it be different?
I try not to be negative or picky about this anime (its a kodomo), but this episode was dissapointing.
I kiiind of don't mind the catching without battling (except that so many in a row with no struggling feels weird) but when it comes to the difficult ones why make the battle so...boring? I was thinking oh! This one put on a fight, how is it gonna be with Scyther? Aand it was kind of similar.

On another unrelated note, mah man Daiki, is yo throat alright? And what about in the future? So many voice cracks since the first trailer

CupidKirby

Would it have been so hard for Ash to go "Caterpie was my first capture!"?
This episode was utterly boring and annoying.

"Hey, let's show off a totally new feature for the Pokedex. But let's not have the more interesting character's dex be shown" It would have been an actual "For old fans" moment in which we see all of Ash's Pokemon including Raticate, Beedrill, and the various Ultra Beasts show up for a brief moment. (And also show new fans what Ash has/had, since you know.... they seem to refuse having a proper Lab episode with all the Kanto-Kalos squad members popping up -_-)

And Go just goes and literally does what Ash, May, and several other past characters were reprimanded for. Catching Pokemon without weakening them.... and no bonding either, they just lazily all get along with him in the end! And to top it off, Ash did nothing and was just a butt monkey.

0.5/10 - the small bit is only because of the new Pokedex feature which is actually interesting. Once again they missed chances of letting Ash get a brief minute(Is that so wrong?! Go's had every ****ing episode so far -_-) to catch something, and once again they passed up several chances to throw old fans a bone and let Ash mention the past sagas, or even a visual easter egg with Ash's Dex and every Pokemon he's owned!

I knew Go's goal would be boring but people were so quick to go "Give him a chance!". He's just as bad as Origins Red is...

This series isn't for the old fans. It's for the target demographic in Japan consisting of small children. Seeing all these comments about how this series sucks because we aren't getting callbacks is getting really annoying.

Now if you want to say that this episode sucked because Ash didn't get a chance to catch anything (though honestly we don't know that yet) or because of the unrealistic lack of weakening Pokemon before catching them (ie bad pacing), then that's fair enough.

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
I actually thought this would just be go catching Scyther and that's it. I wasn't expecting him to catch literally every bug pokemon in the Kanto Region. It's honestly a little weird because catching a lot of pokemon at once is something I've never seen the anime do. I know it did it at least once but I never watched the Safari Zone episode. It's a little off putting capturing a ton of pokemon like that but other than that I'm not sure how to feel about the episode as a whole. It's just a *do the thing* episode. They do the thing and go about their day. I sincerely doubt anything will come out of all these pokemon captured except maybe Scyther.

5.3/10 It just kinda happens and we go about our day.

p96822

Evolve me please
It's time for another Pokemon anime review. Go!

It time for Gou to catch Pokemon after Scorbunny. There not much of a story in this episode beside Gou catching ever single species of bug Pokemon in the Kanto Pokemon. I do like how Ash and Gou's bond are growing closer each episode and them working as a team. I do wish that Ash did taught Gou how to catch Pokemon properly like he did with May and Dawn before. They could have done more with Ash beside him being there and being solution to their problems with Pinsir and Beedrill. I did wish that Ash did caught a Pokemon in this episode because it would have shown Ash's exprencec of catching Pokemon.

This episode also parallels Ash first time of trying to catch Pokemon like Pidgey then catching a Caterpie. Even trying to catch a Pidgeotto which is another Pokemon that Ash caught over Pidgey. A nice small reference to Ash's friends is the last two Pokemon that Gou caught belong to Tracey. Venonat being the first Pokemon we met with Tracey and Scyther being that last Pokemon with Tracey. I do like these references to the past even though they don't have to shove it in out faces.

This episode could inspirit Ash to catch a Pokemon because he did said that since Gou being catching Pokemon that make him wanting to catch some. Even to a point of wanting to catch that Scyther. Which could be a reference to the bug catching competition in Johto where Ash want to catch a Scyther. This does make me think that Ash is gonna to catch a new Pokemon in episode 6 because of this or he is gonna use Mr Mime.

So I'll give this episode a C+

ShadowForce720

I don't know if this has been pointed out but considering that Gou was trying to catch the pokemon in order of their evolution line even though some were caught out of order I find it kind of funny that they had Gou catch a Venomoth after catching a Caterpie and Metapod. I say this because there is a theory that the pokemon known as Venomoth was originally going to evolve from Metapod and be called Butterfree while what we call Butterfree was originally going to be called Venomoth and evolve from Venonat, do to the fact that Venomoth looks more like an evolution to Metapod while Butterfree looks more like a evolution to Venonat. Sure it may have not been an intentional reference but it's still a nice nod to the theory even if it's unintentional.

Last edited:

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
Ash is trying to uncrown Mallow as the most underused side character.

Jokes aside this episode is a perfect example of everything I both like and dislike about this series, insofar as it was a fun episode that I enjoyed a lot in the moment, that still had me constantly wishing things could be just a bit different. Like why even have Ash keep talking about how he wants to catch something if he isn't even gonna get a chance to try? And if Pidgeot really DOES come back as a result of all this (which I honestly am kinda doubting at this point) then it would be so lame to skip a reunion like that just to show Go thoughtlessly chucking a bunch of pokeballs.

Also I'm sorry, but every time the Pokedex yells out "Nice!" or "Excellent" I get irrationally angry. People were happy this show was largely avoiding the SwSh controversy, but I don't know if leaning into Go/Let's Go was a proper alternative.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
True, but I’m willing to let it slide since Go’s catching methods seem to mainly be based on Pokémon Go. I mean his Rotom Phone even said “Nice,” “Great,” & “Excellent” a few times when catching a pokémon (though it was weird hearing those remarks in proper English instead of Engrish)
My problem there is that it doesn’t gel well with the established rules of the anime. Now if they had made reference to Go having some kind of uncanny ability with catching Pokémon it’d be one thing, but Pokémon Go style capturing doesn’t make sense with the anime’s continuity. I’m hoping that we don’t see this kind of thing every time Go catches Pokémon or it’s gonna really overstay it’s welcome.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Also I'm sorry, but every time the Pokedex yells out "Nice!" or "Excellent" I get irrationally angry. People were happy this show was largely avoiding the SwSh controversy, but I don't know if leaning into Go/Let's Go was a proper alternative.
I know it's based from these kind of games, but I would like to see a judging/ranking system from the mainstream games depending of the player skills to add more depth, than just simply defeating the rivals/opponents/gym leaders then proceed to the next one, especially in my case since I play arcade dance games where accuracy matters.

As for the episode itself. I like it. I didn't like Ash so I didn't care about him and his past. But Go getting capture frenzy reminds me when I started on YouTube that I uploaded lots of videos in a short time after uploading my 1st one. Go is also pretty good at throwing Pokeballs, although his capture rate was kinda insane imo, in context that he just started his journey.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Other than just the mayhem that surrounded Gou's adventure in the woods with Satoshi, I liked a lot of small details from this episode, such as the pine trees that were reminiscent of the style of trees seen in early DP, the cherry blossom tree scene, and the fact that Gou was using his Smartphone Rotom to catalog his captures.