• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I'm now in a state of confusion about what the dubbers are playing at

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt0044

Most of the dub music sounds just fine to me.

Most of the dub music to me sound like they put zero effort into it. At least 4kids' dub music has a generic-yet-cool vibe to it.

randomspot555

Most of the dub music to me sound like they put zero effort into it. At least 4kids' dub music has a generic-yet-cool vibe to it.

If you're old enough to remember 4kids dubbing the series, then you're way beyond the demographic. Most kids who watch the dub have no complaints about the music, or that it's so minor it doesn't detract from the main point of the show: Pokemon.

Would it be cool to keep the JP music? Yeah. But I don't watch Pokemon for music. It's just a bonus. I watch it for Pokemon to battle and stuff like that, not to listen to some fairly generic orchstral arrangements or J-pop.

RocketTwurpSLR

pokemonmaniacSLR
hmm wouldn't it be because most of the japanese songs were in the episode, i know that in the ash vs paul they had on type wild, aim to be pokemon master and i think it was hightouch.

They definatly wouldn't put type wild on, they could of put a bit of instrumental of hightouch on or galatic battle, and with aim to be a pkmn master, they could of again had a instrumental of that or put the original english pokemon theme on, but they might've not had the rights from 4kids, even though we heard double trouble in ″a lean, mean, team rocket machine.″

i would of prefeared to hear the pokemon theme--i bet they were being lazy and uncool---they don't know what us fans want. -_-

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
This is why I don't like the dub anymore. I was surprised when I saw DP189 though. The BGM just makes the battles much more better but I hate their Dub Music with a passion. They don't get rights to use the music for DP183-DP188 but for DP189 they do. Thats why I stick to the raw version... sure, I can't understand them(aside from calling out attacks) but I least I enjoy it more. I'd rather not be able to understand them but enjoy the intensity of the episode because of the BGM rather then understand them and be yawning or covering my ears at their horrendous music. 4kids did a good job with BGM.... I watched the 4kids Dub they made a few weeks back and the music was pretty good.... I'm not sure if they kept the original but if they made some of their music, it was pretty damn good. Well the 2nd volume is coming out February, so I'll find out if the BGM was from the original.

Last edited:

matt0044

4kids did a good job with BGM.... I watched the 4kids Dub they made a few weeks back and the music was pretty good.... I'm not sure if they kept the original but if they made some of their music, it was pretty damn good. Well the 2nd volume is coming out February, so I'll find out if the BGM was from the original.

Speaking of which, you think 4kids should've released their dub music on CD?

BlueDragonfangirl

Meh I don't notice I guess, I just got used to what they did and pretty much am like "Ok whatever" No point in crying about it when they likely won't change. Than again, who knows maybe they'll start keeping the Japanese music when Best Wishes airs, last episode they did so maybe they will change??

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Let me tell you a little secret.

When dubbing an episode the writers use a standard 20 sided dice. Every scene Mr. Raw Supporter and Ms. Dub Backer roll for initiative. If Ms. Dub Backer cannot outright defeat Mr. Raw Supporter then they engage in a wickedly complex text battle which determines whether the original music or new music is played during the scene. Mr. Raw Supporter used to be terrible playing under Ms. Dub Backer's complex set of rules but he's become better and actually managed to beat her a few times.

... on a more serious note I think the importance of the episode or scene has something to do with it. An example of that is them keeping an instrumental of May's theme in the dub when she returned in Sinnoh. The youngest of fans wouldn't know who this chick is or why the music is so important. Keeping it may have been a nod to the older set. On the other hand why would they bother preserving most of the music in a Filler no one will watch? It'd seem like a waste of time and money.

Far as Ash VS Paul goes ... maybe they decided that since they couldn't get the music used during the climax (Type Wild) why bother trying to preserve most of the music? They may have thought they could mesh the music together better themselves.

Most of the dub music sounds just fine to me.

Seconding this.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Figures that they'd keep all of the Japanese BGM for the Tobias episode. After all, TPCI and Tobias have a lot in common, if you get what I mean :rolleyes:

Seriously though, the dub BGM doesn't bother me anymore, as I usually don't watch the dubbed version of the anime. I wasn't expecting them to keep all of the BGM in the final Sinnoh League episode, though. I was certain that most of the music would be replaced as it usually is, but having it all there was a nice change of pace. I read a post on another thread where the person said something about TPCI possibly trying to test out the reaction from the fans by keeping all of the BGM in this recent episode. The person said something along the lines of "if many people liked it, they might keep all the BGM in Best Wishes (Black & White)". I don't know if it's true (nor do I care, really), but I found that interesting.

Sabonea_Masukippa

Correction: they don't care what you [think you] want, particularly in this context, because "what [you] fans want" is a completely insignificant element.

Don't be daft.

Not to mention probably and expensive and time consuming element, too.

Cobalt_Latios

Figures that they'd keep all of the Japanese BGM for the Tobias episode. After all, TPCI and Tobias have a lot in common, if you get what I mean :rolleyes:
:/

Seriously though, the dub BGM doesn't bother me anymore, as I usually don't watch the dubbed version of the anime. I wasn't expecting them to keep all of the BGM in the final Sinnoh League episode, though. I was certain that most of the music would be replaced as it usually is, but having it all there was a nice change of pace. I read a post on another thread where the person said something about TPCI possibly trying to test out the reaction from the fans by keeping all of the BGM in this recent episode. The person said something along the lines of "if many people liked it, they might keep all the BGM in Best Wishes (Black & White)". I don't know if it's true (nor do I care, really), but I found that interesting.
If that is true... then we're going to be going through a massive dose of that "Dragon Spiral Tower" theme for a while. I like it, but they've over used that theme like you wouldn't believe.

Mind you, I've noticed that most of the music in BW is actually from the games themselves, so I don't see the issue with changing it. Granted, I have no clue as what they'd do, but still.

Also, I never really cared that much for the BGM... unless it's something that's found in game.

/CL

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Wow, I'm so glad this Tobias epidemic has aired and is finally over soon. No one liked anything about it. The aconomy is tough eveywhere so maybe that's what the dubbed and music thing was about.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
It's quite simple, I think.

Each ep of the anime, in principle, has a budget. Let's guess it's somewhere between $50,000 and $100,000. Theoretically their dealing with a 3rd party (either the Japanese music producer themselves or the company that deals with the anime) and that 3rd party can and will rightly charge for the use of that work, which is in principle different to the visual images. Couple that with the fact that licensing music is an expensive and involved process anyway.

So, even if TCPi did want to use the Japanese BGM they need to be able to afford it. When they can I'm sure they save money on some filler ep's music or production and so on to afford it. It's a shame. And don't whinge about Pokemon being a multi-billion dollar franchise; it may be, but that is divided up among numerous companies and divisions n those companies that are under no obligation to allocate their money to the dubbing team of the cartoon. If the anime wants to get more money to afford better/original BGM (assuming there are not restrictive licensing problems that we're not privy to), the ratings for the cartoon need to improve so that advertisers will pay more money to advertise their products during the show's run.

as long as pokemon stays on cartoon network they will never get high ratings

they average a 1.6/10 an episode and if they went to nickelodeon

that 1.6 would be a 5.2/22

poizonsting

Pokemon master
Not like they're playing Steve Vai's orchestrated music in the dubbed version, so why bother?

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys

Actually I think the ratings are about to get higher now that cartoonnetwork has moved the dub air time to 9:00 am instead of 8:00 am. I think the reason that the ratings were lower was because most people are just to tired and lazy to get up at 7 or 8 in the morning lol I know I was. 9 is a much better time since more people will be awake to watch the dub thereby increasing ratings.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
Actually I think the ratings are about to get higher now that cartoonnetwork has moved the dub air time to 9:00 am instead of 8:00 am. I think the reason that the ratings were lower was because most people are just to tired and lazy to get up at 7 or 8 in the morning lol I know I was. 9 is a much better time since more people will be awake to watch the dub thereby increasing ratings.

well i hope so but in any case Pokemon would be way better of at Nickelodeon since nick are always one the America's top rating grabbers while cartoon network is in the middle lol..

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
well i hope so but in any case Pokemon would be way better of at Nickelodeon since nick are always one the America's top rating grabbers while cartoon network is in the middle lol..

Ya but nick doesn't really have anymore cartoons lol its basically just spongebob.

randomspot555

Advertisters aren't so much concerned about the ratings number as the demographic. That 1.6 probably encompasses ALL Neilsen viewers of the show. What they want to know is how many KIDS are watching it.

BCVM22

You're not actually trying to make this case, are you? That Pokémon is worse off for being on a cable network that's just as accessible as another one, and that it would be better solely for changing networks?

Come on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.