• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I'm rather split here, Digital or Physical?

Moogleknight24

The Lone Dewott
Over the years I traded in a bunch of my DS and GBA games.

I bought said games for the Wii U so I could have the copies "forever" as opposed to the GBA batteries eventually dying or having to fumble with switching cartridges in general (Which has become rather annoying as I've been spoiled by the "easy access" digital)

But... after a few years I realized that I really don't like the larger resolution of the games, as opposed to the sleek small screen, nor the fact I can only play them in one room at a time as opposed to anywhere.

And the fact I have a sinking feeling that I'll still have (at least) the DS cartridges long after my Wii U breaks down.

I feel I've made a bad mistake.

But at the same time, I love my digital collection. And some games (Such as Animal Crossing: Wild World) actually fix a few issues the DS games had.

So my question is, I am completely torn over whether I should buy back my physical copies. Because I miss the "play anywhere" aspect but the fact I still have the games playable on Wii U, makes my issue feel rather shallow and makes me look like I just want an excuse to buy more games.

(I mean, if I'm not desperate enough to play them on Wii U, maybe I don't really care about the games as much as I thought)

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Djura

99% chance to hit
Physical. Even with the Switch's release, Nintendo's rather crap about digital downloads.

jnshucker12

I prefer the physical. Just easier to carry around. It's better than using some emulator, or something.

P.S. I would try keeping all your games, not just the old ones you sold. But I guess you were implying that.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
The Wii U was the first system where I went all digital. The Wii shop was a great experience with the virtual console games but this gen there were quite a few games that I would probably have traded in by now and I can't :/

Kisai

Psychic
The Wii U was the first system where I went all digital. The Wii shop was a great experience with the virtual console games but this gen there were quite a few games that I would probably have traded in by now and I can't :/
The Wii U I went all digital on, but only because there was a promotion where you got more Club Nintendo points if you bought games digitally.

I kind of regret that now though, since
  1. Those points mean nothing now
  2. I paid full price for the digital games as opposed to getting physical copies used
  3. And the most important part: I had to use a USB device to store a lot of those games on. Unfortunately, the Wii U is very unreliable with USB storage, and is prone to data corruption. If this happens, you basically lose everything. The Wii U doesn't allow you to simply view or manage files if it detects even one hint of a corrupted file. And people have doubted me on this, but it's true: with digital copies, the save data is placed into the same "folder" as the actual game itself, and there are no options to copy and move just the save data alone. It has to be moved with the digital game itself as a package deal. So you really have no way of backing up or saving your data. ;_; This wouldn't be an issue if I had gotten physical copies.

Pokemon Power

Digital, because you have more space in your house for other things, and you don't have to worry about losing your cartridge.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
My Switch was my first console that I've started going digital with.

I have 2 physical games, one being Zelda (before I decided to go digital) and one being FIFA 18 (which I knew I want to exchange every year).

wordless

Personally, I'm more of a fan of physical copies, but I can totally understand the argument for having a digital library of games.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Physical definitely. Maybe digital if something is on sale and you have the space for it.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I do both. I buy physical if it’s a game I really want and see in the store or is a special edition that interests me with extras of some sort. I get digital if I can’t find something that I really want or isn’t a physical release. I like changing out the carts at a whim yet like having some games permanently downloaded on my system. The Pokémon 3DS games I got all physical except AS so I could play the games and trade with myself on my other 3DS system. I want to get Lets Go Pikachu But not sure if I should do digital or physical. I think it’s all up to your own personal preference.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I personally prefer physical. Having something I can hold in my hands makes me feel more secure about it and I hate the idea of the system memory being taken up by game installs... ick... plus I like having a collection. An entire shelf of games looks so much better than a number on a screen.