• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I'm still salty we never got a Pokemon Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Honestly I think they're saving the "third" versions for the possible remakes in the future with similar titles to that of Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun where Ultra symbolizes Necrozma. I think it's going to be called Pokemon XZ and YZ, similar to Ultra the letter Z represent Zygarde. I just have a hunch that GameFreak will do this because A) there's not really a lot of things you can add to the letters X and Y that sound marketable compared to say Gold and Silver with Heart and Soul or Ruby and Sapphire with Alpha and Omega. B) Because we didn't get a third version before, a remake would be the perfect opportunity to build the Kalos region even further into the potential "Z" version that some fans speculated was going to happen and didn't and C) As I said before, it just makes a lot of sense for GameFreak to commit this way into giving Zygarde his own game. It's very similar to Kyurem and Black and White 2 and Necrozma and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Instead of making one single third version, they are making practically two entire versions featuring Zygarde in remake version.

Honestly though, XY and YZ version? Can you think of any other better names to follow up on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

Last edited:

BCVM22

I for one really liked Kalos but definitely agree it needed a little more "Oomph!" that a third game could have offered nicely. Didn't care for Alola at all.

Pretty clear that a third version was in the works at some point, but fell through the cracks due to shifting of the Switch and subsequently the Alola games as well. I don't think they moved on from it without a revisit intentionally.

BCVM22

More needed to be done with Zygarde than just randomly giving it new forms in Sun and Moon.

Again, they didn't go to the trouble of creating art, in-game assets and mechanics for the Zygarde formes just to use them in the anime and then awkwardly shoehorn them into Alola so as to not waste them. It's obvious that they were intended for a third Kalos game that got lost in an unavoidable shuffle of other elements.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
I do wishing gen 6 is last generation of the Pokemon series.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I really would love to see Kalos redone on the Switch engine. Kalos as a region was really hampered by the 3DS's limitations, since Lumiose City, many other routes and cities were already pretty beautiful (albeit laggy with wierd camera angles), and I think the Switch can do full justice in making Kalos look so much more beautiful as intended. I guess they tried to be very ambitious when designing the Kalos region, only to be limited by the hardware, which is why Alola ended up being so barren and empty.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
It does suck since I really wanted to explore the rest of the power plants which were my favorite area(s) in the game. Also wherever those train tracks led to in that one town who’s name I can’t recall. There were definitely things left unanswered in XY that could have been polished up but alas another Kalos game didn’t exist and feels so incomplete compared to all the other regions.
I really would love to see Kalos redone on the Switch engine. Kalos as a region was really hampered by the 3DS's limitations, since Lumiose City, many other routes and cities were already pretty beautiful (albeit laggy with wierd camera angles), and I think the Switch can do full justice in making Kalos look so much more beautiful as intended. I guess they tried to be very ambitious when designing the Kalos region, only to be limited by the hardware, which is why Alola ended up being so barren and empty.
Limitations also played into how barebones Kanto was in GSC with it being an empty shell of its former self. Kinda wish they put all that effort into making Johto much larger rather than tacking on a previous, empty region to make it seem big, Gen II being a continuation/sequel of sorts or not lol.

I personally didn’t think Alola was empty, especially in USUM where I saw various Pokémon in the overworld along with other things. The limitations hit in other areas like battles not being as quick in Doubles along with (probably) playing a role in cutscenes not having an option to being skipped and the creepy 100% smiling protagonist. Fortunately the second part has been fixed in LGPE so a small part of me thinks that they wanted to include such a feature but couldn’t because of the 3DS limitations.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
What baffles me is how Eternal Floette is fully programmed into all the 3DS games with its very own stats and signature move yet it is unavailable. Seems like a waste off time putting it into the game. And we know there musst have been some sort of plan since hacking it into a game doesn’t cause any damage.

BCVM22

Seems like a waste off time putting it into the game. And we know there musst have been some sort of plan since hacking it into a game doesn’t cause any damage.

Continuing our theme of "again," again, there are any number of signs that point to a third game that was never realized. It wasn't a waste of time if that was in the plans at some point, and ostensibly it was.

Ariki

I’d be fine with GF releasing a Z version on the Switch, even if it’s a direct port of what they worked on for the 3DS. I don’t think they will, but if they do, I will be happy to part money for it.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
I don’t have any idea how this turned out this way but it did. Zygarde just got totally shafted in its own generation. It seems to be a common theme in XY. Many of the new Pokémon get shafted because you can easily miss them in whole playthroughs due to how many old Pokémon there are, the Kalos starters get overshadowed by the Kanto starters with mega evolutions, the mythicals have literally no in game events, and Zygarde didn’t get its own game. It was a very bad time to be a new Pokémon.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I would still be bummed about the fact we didn’t get a Z version if it wasn’t for the fact that 7th generation also had trainer customization present.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Looking back at XY I'd say it was lacking in certain areas. Do I want to replay them again? No, not after seeing the significant improvements in SM.

I'd classify it as a proof of concept for what the 3DS could do.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
The reason they didn't make it is because people would call it pokemon zee when it should obviously be called pokemon zed. :p

BCVM22

I don’t have any idea how this turned out this way but it did. Zygarde just got totally shafted in its own generation and didn’t get its own game. It was a very bad time to be a new Pokémon.

It's a complete mystery.

Pretty clear that a third version was in the works at some point, but fell through the cracks due to shifting of the Switch and subsequently the Alola games as well. I don't think they moved on from it without a revisit intentionally.

Again, they didn't go to the trouble of creating art, in-game assets and mechanics for the Zygarde formes just to use them in the anime and then awkwardly shoehorn them into Alola so as to not waste them. It's obvious that they were intended for a third Kalos game that got lost in an unavoidable shuffle of other elements.

Continuing our theme of "again," again, there are any number of signs that point to a third game that was never realized. It wasn't a waste of time if that was in the plans at some point, and ostensibly it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.