1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

I'm still salty we never got a Pokemon Z.

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation VI Discussion' started by Azureth, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Prof. SALTY

Prof. SALTY The Scruffy Professor

It's implied that when the machine brought it back to life it was granted immortality (thus eternal) like AZ himself. Having it as a key wouldn't make sense since it was dead before that and it's sort of implied that Floette wasn't aware AZ was going to wipe out everyone till after he did it.

Not to mention that it would completely strip the ending of any emotional power (one of the only good things XY had going for it imo) if Floette just turned up mid game.

2. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Well-Known Member

Personally I think they didn't need to introduce AZ into the plot. He appears out of nowhere in the desert, is captured by Team Flare, and out of nowhere wants to battle you. Here I'm thinking "who's this hobo and why does he want to battle me?"

dannymusic likes this.
  3. 04n70n10

04n70n10 Well-Known Member

To me it's another sign that the story originally was different. Probably even the roles of Xerneas (life) and Yveltal (death) were quite different, in the current games they are really not more than power bank for the ultimate weapon. Where is the "main theme" of these legendaries?

I wouldn't be surprised if originally the key/power bank role was for the eternal floette instead.

4. 04n70n10

04n70n10 Well-Known Member

Look at the pictures, the machine was modified to be a "mass destruction machine" after the relive of floette and assumed the shape of a flower. For the relive-part the machine had a different shape. More strange, why isn't Xerneas directly involved? Xerneas has the power to share eternal life...

Many things are a bit messy, so for my theory GF modified the plot late in development, they changed some details, cut off others, but we still have many signs of the original story.

It's not ucommon to change some details late in development, even minor. See Ilma and Mina. Ilma is the normal type captain with smeargle but has pink hair and the typical "fairy eyes", mina is the fairy type captain but is a painter (...more close to be a typical smeargle trainer...) and she seems to be "bored" ( something like "normal type is so ""too normal"", almost boring..."). So many suspect a late change of the roles of these captains.

And so this is maybe one of the reason for the change of the story.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  5. HappyChika

HappyChika New Member

I had bought Pokemon X a long time ago and only picked it up again recently (I haven't been super into Pokemon since gen 1, but the recent Let's Go games have made me interested again). After buying it I had stopped after only getting 2 gym badges.
    I really enjoy a lot of the features in Pokemon X & Y but like others say, the story is practically nonexistent. Since there was an XYZ anime series, I guess I always figured there was a Pokemon Z and didn't realize one was never made. It just makes sense, and I'm really sad that these games feel left in the dust. These games could really have benefited from an updated version.

6. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

Definitely. XY was probably the one game that needed an expansion the most and it didn't get one. The games were so barren and had so much potential for expansion that it almost feels criminal to leave it as is.

Then again though, with how USUM turned out and how Game Freak is now, Z probably wouldn't have been that great anyway. Pretty much everything designed under Game Freak's current philosophy turns to ****.

7. Azureth

Azureth Well-Known Member

It really amazes me given how well they did with the DS Pokemon games, they managed to screw the pooch on the 3DS Pokemon games so hard.

Ducolamia likes this.
  8. Ducolamia

Ducolamia SAYYYY WHAT???

It makes me wonder why they even made USUM to begin with as SuMo already had good sales and didn't need an expansion. I'd say that SuMo was already good on it's own. And that making USUM really only did a disservice by eating into those SuMo sales. Believe it or not, SuMo was close to beating X an Y before USUM came out so I have to wonder if some executive decision lead to them making USUM.

Really when it comes to GF's philosophy it's a very strange one to say the least. I don't consider it bad or good necessarily, but just strange altogether.
    I think the main problem with GF's philosophy for games is at best you get a really enjoyable experience, but at worst, you're left with a lot of things to be desired. I remember reading in an interview about why some popular things like pokemon walking with you weren't in future games and the answer that was given was that they wanted every pokemon game to be unique. So as a result of this, it does make certain games more memorable than others. And for the most part, when it comes to things like starters following you, it works.

But when it comes to things that actually make the game better to play, that's when it becomes a problem. VS Seeker, Hot Keys, Post-Game areas to grind in, no HMs etc. These all make the game better and yet for some reason someone decided that they don't need to be in every game. The reason why USUM has it's many issues is not because they were aiming to fix all the problems of SuMo. (In same cases they did to be fair), but for the most part, they just really focused on putting more features in and messing with a story that doesn't need to be messed with. This is why Platinum and Emerald are considered far better than their DP/R/S counterparts. They fixed stuff that needed to be dealt with. The meat of the problem.

Compare this to X and Y. The difficulty could be better, the "friend" characters could be better, and the most of all the story doesn't have to be complete crap! But it feels like that instead of taking the opportunity to make these things better that instead, they skipped over the option for whatever reason. X and Y has legitimate issues that can be fixed in a remake. While some are more severe than others, it's still salvageable. SuMo really didn't need to have a third game. I'd argue on it's own it's a fine experience.

Really, I guess I can see why some people would be upset at not getting a Z version. X and Y wouldn't have been saved by it, but it could have helped. It's like the DP with Platinum in a sense. Maybe in the future, they'll surprise with a different gen remake. Who knows.

Azureth likes this.
  9. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

I did enjoy pokemon xy very much, I dont and wont see it as a failure. But i do think it needed a third version to improve it,