• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I'm upset about the status of Bugs

gydra

Currently the good bugs(as in they can at least put up a somewhat decent fight or serve a good use) are--
-Armaldo
-Forretress
-Heracross
-Ninjask
-Pinsir
-Shedinja
-Scizor/Scyther

The others just lack some. If some of them(like Butterfree and Venomoth) were typed with an element they would be alright. In addition if some bonus bug moves are special it may help them.

Beedrill could be pretty useful if it had better stats, being the only Pokemon to learn twin needle.

snorlax

Banned
hidden power bug is the 3rd most usful hidden Power behind Flying and Ice

the only Usable bug in the metagame is Heracross

bugs have too many common weaks

Fire / Rock / Flying

Charizard_Millky

Punk Rock > You
i argee with you a bug-trio would be good and more bugs meen more lv ups for my fire types HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Zora

perpetually tired
Fire isn't the most common type. Only Blazikien, but it would rather Rock Slide it then Overheat it. PP and derease reasons. The only exception is Scizor and Fottress. Fighting is not a common type except by Stabbers.

Ballade

Ultimate Destoryer
Hello, ever heard about Armaldo? Yeah, he's a fossil, but he's got a great typing and some awesome attacks. :)

yeah, but he's got a weakness to water and fairly low sp. def. He is strong against other types, but he needs a seriously powerful Bug type attack to destory and PWN a psychic and dark type.

They do need to make bug types stronger, at least some of the begginer ones. I'm tired of running to weak ones like Wurmple and Caterpie and Weedle all the time while I'm going through the beginning areas.

Hunnuli

Grimoire of the Sage

Beedrill could be pretty useful if it had better stats, being the only Pokemon to learn twin needle.

Yeah but I was just mentioning those that could make it with current stats now thanks to the special split. Beedrill would be cool though...I always have a soft spot for it :p.

snorlax said:
the only Usable bug in the metagame is Heracross

Don't forget ninjask... it makes one very nasty sweeper/finisher thanks to its speed and attack. And with EQ immunity it isn't too hard to get him in.

chrombot

The Steel Hearted
I always thought it was a real missed chance when g/s/c came out that no kanto pokemon became dark type. Parasect would have been pretty cool as bug/dark. It's not like fungus need sunlight or things like plants do.

HoundoomTrainer

YOU GIVE ME MIGRAINE
yeah, but he's got a weakness to water and fairly low sp. def. He is strong against other types, but he needs a seriously powerful Bug type attack to destory and PWN a psychic and dark type.

But that one weakness means nothing. No idiot would leave him in to a Suicune. Rock Blast is great for destroying subbers, and he carries Swords Dance.

Lickitung

Banned
Currently the good bugs(as in they can at least put up a somewhat decent fight or serve a good use) are--
-Armaldo
-Forretress
-Heracross
-Ninjask
-Pinsir
-Shedinja
-Scizor/Scyther

The others just lack some. If some of them(like Butterfree and Venomoth) were typed with an element they would be alright. In addition if some bonus bug moves are special it may help them.
I've always felt sorry for Venomoth, because I had one with as awesome of a movest that it could get, but what held it back were those terrible stats. When you have a STAB'd sludge bomb and signal beam, AND psychic, and it still doesn't work, then there's something seriously wrong.

Don't get me started on Ledian though, I love the guy, but looking at those stats make me want to take a gun to my head for using it.

danburite

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN
What bugs me (OMG I punned) is that you have to breed for pretty much all the decent Bug attacks. That at least has to change. :(

AWP123

Thunder Trainer
The only way to make it up to bug users is to make a legendary trio of bug pokemon. The only thing i could think of really. What else except maybe ghosts. Also I dont think Dragon because thats too obvious!

Hunnuli

Grimoire of the Sage
But that one weakness means nothing. No idiot would leave him in to a Suicune. Rock Blast is great for destroying subbers, and he carries Swords Dance.

Actually leaving Armaldo in against a water type isn't too bad. He can usually survive one surf with full hp(for me anyways). And if you got a swords dance on a switch... well Stabbed Rock blast with his massive attack doubled = pain on anyone with a bit of luck(if all five hit that is some major pain. My calcs show it could kill Milotic in one hit(well technically five hits but you get my drift)).

Course you will take damage, but the point is many water types that can't one hit him will not like the return hit.

He also has a steel and a rock weakness. So don't switch him in on a CB'ed meteor mash.

punisher said:
I've always felt sorry for Venomoth, because I had one with as awesome of a movest that it could get, but what held it back were those terrible stats. When you have a STAB'd sludge bomb and signal beam, AND psychic, and it still doesn't work, then there's something seriously wrong.
Well as a special sweeper he wouldn't be too bad(90base speed and sp. Attack isn't horrible). Issue is he has no special stab, nor a real special movepool. However, if there were special based bug or poison attacks... well that would help him out a fair bit.

punisher said:
Don't get me started on Ledian though, I love the guy, but looking at those stats make me want to take a gun to my head for using it.
That 110base sp. Defense is nice :p.... too bad his typing isn't nice to him... imagine a bug/steel type with 110base special defense :D.

Tabs The Omnipotent Hamster

And yet, it moves!

so what? armaldo tears through things already without a decent bug move. and armaldo's sp.def isn't that bad.

Naetoru

#1 Naetoru Fan!
I'd really like a Pinsir and Heracross evo, then the best 3 bugs (Scizor, Heracross, and Pinsir) will all be at a second evo. I just hope that if Pinsir gets a second evo, that he gains the Fighting Type aswell. (So he can at least STAB his moveset decently. -.-)

Another Bug move that's in TERRIBLE NEED. Something including a bug's bite, because ideally when bugs attack humans, they bite you using their mandibles or sting you. NO BUG MOVE EVER USED THE BUG'S MANDIBLES.

Mandible Crush [Bug - 85] Crushes opponent between the sharp mandibles of a Bug.

Armaldo's a good Bug, he just can't STAB a decent Bug move. He seriously can only rely on a HP Bug to do most of his bug attacks.

Fury Cutter is a rediculous Bug Attack. Who's going to start using that just to do crap damage for the first 3 turns before you can start doing real damage? Nobody... By three turns you're lucky to be alive.

woot21

super noob
That 110base sp. Defense is nice :p.... too bad his typing isn't nice to him... imagine a bug/steel type with 110base special defense :D.

But that 55 base HP sure ain't nice.

I agree, bugs have been shafted big time. There needs to be bee/wasp/hornet pokemon, just would look cool IMO. Also, give me an explantion as to why a Pokemon based off an ant lion, which is an insect isn't bug ground? I would love to see a Mosiqutio Pokemon, it could be Dark/Bug, mosiqutios are evil little blood suckers.

woot21 out dawgs

Jupetta

Though some Bug-types are really cool, *Points at Armaldo and Venomoth*, they are often neglected as in the real world insects are looked upon as being insignificant and unneeded, showing that Bug-Pokémon will probably remain as a neglected type.

~;354;

EckoDude42

Yukimenoko Rox!!
Though some Bug-types are really cool, *Points at Armaldo and Venomoth*, they are often neglected as in the real world insects are looked upon as being insignificant and unneeded, showing that Bug-Pokémon will probably remain as a neglected type.

~;354;

true, they are at the bottom of my list...tee hee hee

they can be good but they...well, aren't!

Naetoru

#1 Naetoru Fan!
Introducing legendary bugs wouldn't help the problem out much either. The problem is that the only bug used in metagame is Heracross. Making triple Bug legendaries would only shift the problem that the only bugs used are ubers and over-used. (If they're any good. -.-) Not only that, but if they come with a new good bug move, it won't be breedable.

Bug Pokemon are in every respect very cool, but just too underpowered with very common weaknesses and mild to bad stats. Bug/Fly is just Quad Rock damage, and it's easy to find a Rock Slide user in a competitive team. Bug/Steel, that's Quad Fire damage, and you'll definitely find at least 1 fire per competitive team. Bug/Fighting gets Quad Flying damage, need I go on...? The good bugs just get owned by the most common types. It's really sad.