• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In an attempt to stop rule breakers

Thriller

Its almost time
I have noticed that rule breakers are getting out of hand (and Serebii could disagree with me, I don't care). Members have been uselessly bumping old threads like this http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=90848 just to post something off topic. Smilies are still being abused and etc.

What I think is that new members don't even bother to read the rules and they go and break a rule and give the "but I'm new" excuse. What I think should happen is that when I new member registers there must be something to MAKE SURE they read the rules. Like maybe something that will prevent registration unless they read ALL of them.

Please consider this Serebii.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Yeah I have been noticing this...it happens when it's the holidays though and it's an American holiday. It'll ease up

But theres no way of forcing people to read the rules

Torchic23

gee that's swell
No kidding.They could just blow off the rules and pretend that they read them.When I welcome a new member I try to tell them to read the rules

O

Orgasmo

What's the date over there? Cause if it's still the 24th then technically that post wasn't breaking the rules :/
Nitpicking I know, but still...

Thriller

Its almost time
FrenzyPlant said:
What's the date over there? Cause if it's still the 24th then technically that post wasn't breaking the rules :/
Nitpicking I know, but still...

It was breaking the rules becaus #1: It bumped a month old topic and #2: the post was Spam anyway.

O

Orgasmo

Churly said:
It was breaking the rules becaus #1: It bumped a month old topic and #2: the post was Spam anyway.
Check the dates ;)
If it's still the 24th where Serebii is, then that first rule wasn't broken. I agree with the second one though.

Dragonfree

Just me
Technically there is a way to make sure everybody reads the rules... just make some extra step needed in registration which is only explained in the rules. Unless people go and read them, they'll never be able to complete their registrations.

Tropical Spirit

YAY! Original>You =3
Though people could just pretend they read them. :\ But W/E. There's no way to force them to read the rules.

You could have them take a test
but then nobody would register
and it would be too much effort

Thriller

Its almost time
Dragonfree said:
Technically there is a way to make sure everybody reads the rules... just make some extra step needed in registration which is only explained in the rules. Unless people go and read them, they'll never be able to complete their registrations.

Thats basically what I was suggesting. Serebii said you can't do that though.

PokeProphet

Still believing!
What if we included a sort of 'quiz' to the registration procedure, with a few questions about the rules? (eg. What do you need to do if you see a SPAM-post? or Suppose someone calls you a 'noob', what will you do?) Could make it multiple choice to make it easier to register the answers. And only people who get a certain percentage of the questions right get to register. That way, you can be sure that they know the rules, but it might cost you a lot of potential members. Then again, those members would probably be the less-motivated ones.

Alfonso

Derpgull
Weebos said:
You could have them take a test
but then nobody would register
and it would be too much effort

Too much effort?

Stop being so damn lazy. Is it hell 'too much effort'. It's a simple matter of someone checking the rules and then taking a very small test to ensure that they have checked them. If people do not want to take such a test by doing something they should do anyway, they don't deserve to be a member.

Magma Leader Maxie

Non caedor caedo
Dragonfree said:

I'd have to disagree with this. Although it could help bring more order to posts, changing the actual file (I think it's register.php) might lead to all kinds of problems - it might slow or deny registration. I'm not an expert and I've never tried this so I don't know. Therefore, I think it's best to leave the registration as it is now. Also, this step might make this forum less popular, taking more of the user's time than is absolutely necessary. In this case, it's better not to prevent the rules being broken but to punish those who ignore them. New or not, it says on every page READ THE RULES, ad litteram. Look at the top of this one. It's hard to say that anyone "doesn't know" the rules seeing as they are relentlessly being smashed into our faces all the time since day one.

Alfonso

Derpgull
Magma Leader Maxie said:
I'd have to disagree with this. Although it could help bring more order to posts, changing the actual file (I think it's register.php) might lead to all kinds of problems - it might slow or deny registration. I'm not an expert and I've never tried this so I don't know. Therefore, I think it's best to leave the registration as it is now. Also, this step might make this forum less popular, taking more of the user's time than is absolutely necessary. In this case, it's better not to prevent the rules being broken but to punish those who ignore them. New or not, it says on every page READ THE RULES, ad litteram. Look at the top of this one. It's hard to say that anyone "doesn't know" the rules seeing as they are relentlessly being smashed into our faces all the time since day one.

The 'user's time'? Who the hell cares if, what, 1 minute of a person's time is wasted if it means people know the rules?

You're acting like this forum owes people a favor.

Magma Leader Maxie

Non caedor caedo
Alfonso said:
The 'user's time'? Who the hell cares if, what, 1 minute of a person's time is wasted if it means people know the rules?

You're acting like this forum owes people a favor.

Firstly, you seem to have inexhaustible energy and patience. Not everyone does. People want to do things like registration fast. Name one forum which conducts these kinds of operations. God, it sounds like some kind of containment procedure.

If this site owes someone a favor, all I know is that it isn't me. I'm not saying that those who come should receive "customer" treatment, but I honestly don't see the point of this quiz thing. With thousands of members, how do you think it possible to eradicate rule breaking? Some do read the rules, but are compelled to break them. Even if they were able to recite the rules perfectly, if they learned them off by heart, it will still be up to them whether they break them or not. Punishment may cause them to favour abiding by the rules in future.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
PokeProphet said:
What if we included a sort of 'quiz' to the registration procedure, with a few questions about the rules? (eg. What do you need to do if you see a SPAM-post? or Suppose someone calls you a 'noob', what will you do?) Could make it multiple choice to make it easier to register the answers. And only people who get a certain percentage of the questions right get to register. That way, you can be sure that they know the rules, but it might cost you a lot of potential members. Then again, those members would probably be the less-motivated ones.
Yeah, but they'll just take it again until they got the right answers.

There's no way to force people to read the rules, this is a free forum and everyone deserves a right to join, whether or not they read the rules. What we *NEED* is to tell the newbies and/or members to use their f*cking common sense and read the rules when they do join.

Last edited:

Ilex

Oddish plzkthnxbai
You could install a pm stating them to read the rules as soon as they are registered. It wouldn't make them read the rules, but it would help.

Virtual Headache

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
.:Ilex:. said:
You could install a pm stating them to read the rules as soon as they are registered. It wouldn't make them read the rules, but it would help.
I think having something like that might really help.

There is even a plugin for this:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91729

The installation is very simple and quick (I've tried it myself), why don't you just try it out?