• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In general: Alternative colored Sprites (Shiny Pokemon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
What is the big deal with shiny pokemon?

I mean, come on. They make a little jingle when they appear and have a different color palette. Why must to slave hours/days to get them, really?
To me, if I didn't RNG on a regular basis, I really wouldn't give a crap about shinies. They are meaningless to me.

TrainerJP

Is Eatin' Yo Picnic!
To some people it shows a bigger accomplishement than finishing the Pokedex or beating every trainer in the game. I only like them when you randomly see them in the wild while training.

Ruby Blue

Bragging Rights.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Because they're prettyfuls and represent a middle finger when shown to noobs.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Bragging rights and rarity thats all there is to it.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
I'm also gonna put this out there:
Why do people spend days on getting these things? Its just a alternative sprite color. There's nothing special besides that.
If you really want the shiny that bad, I say learn how to RNG and get it in 5 minutes. It soooo much more fruitful that way, because in reality, you can get whatever you want with the method.

Because they're prettyfuls and represent a middle finger when shown to noobs.

Hah, that was funny.

But otherwise, it's just bragging rights, plus, they look cool. And it's how they're so rare, and I personally don't feel very accomplished if I get a Shiny through RNG.

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
I'm also gonna put this out there:
Why do people spend days on getting these things? Its just a alternative sprite color. There's nothing special besides that.
If you really want the shiny that bad, I say learn how to RNG and get it in 5 minutes. It soooo much more fruitful that way, because in reality, you can get whatever you want with the method.

Are you just trying to convert people who SR, MM, or RE into RNGers? Maybe some people actually like to do it because it gives them something to do in the game once you beat it/do everything necessary. I would rather train and work for non-flawless shinies than to RNG flawless shinies because there is a sense of strong accomplishment for me. If I just RNG shinies every 5-30 minutes, I would feel what you are feeling. You feel that they are "just a different color palette" because you can get one whenever you want. There isn't really work put behind it. Others like to shiny hunt just for the FUN of it. So quit your b****ing about shiny hunting methods and go RNG another "alternate color sprite".

KuroiMawile

As someone who has done both, hatching a shiny just gives you that 'U R LUXY' feeling. Same with finding one on complete accident, or in a safari zone.

hm, Bragging rights is pretty much it. That and beating the 1/x lottery of finding one.

Arsène

Thank you for this thread, Zeno. You've shown my thoughts about shinies with amazing precision.

And in no time at all, look at what we got here:

Are you just trying to convert people who SR, MM, or RE into RNGers?

No, he's giving them a very viable option for those who only want the shiny and couldn't care any less about what method they use to get it done so long as it is legitimate. Very simple concept to grasp here.

Maybe some people actually like to do it because it gives them something to do in the game once you beat it/do everything necessary.

Good for them, as long as they don't go around stating hogwash like "takes the fun out of it" or, "lololol rng is hacking!!11", then I have no problem with this philosophy at all.

I would rather train and work for non-flawless shinies than to RNG flawless shinies because there is a sense of strong accomplishment for me.

Again...good for you. But that's subjective.

I just RNG shinies every 5-30 minutes..

You make it sound so easy to get these, when it actuality, the time can drastically vary depending on how skilled you are at RNG abuse. Not to mention various ways for the process to be thrown off entirely

I would feel what you are feeling.

Implying you know how we're feeling.

You feel that they are "just a different color palette" because you can get one whenever you want.

Are you positive? I for one never gave much of a crap about a palette swapped Pokemon through all the years I've been playing the series. Seems you can't speak for the majority of us.

There isn't really work put behind it.

Really? Try to RNG a Shiny Thundurus with flawless Ice 70 IVs and I will personally praise you for eternity if you think it isn't really work afterwards. No seriously, try it.

Others like to shiny hunt just for the FUN of it. So quit your b****ing about shiny hunting methods and go RNG another "alternate color sprite".

Good for them. And nobodies "*****ing", you're the one getting all worked up that Zeno's offering very good advice for those who don't want to lean on primitive, social life destroying methods (k, that's exaggeration.) just for a different color and a feeling of "accomplishment" afterwards.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Good for them. And nobodies "*****ing", you're the one getting all worked up that Zeno's offering very good advice for those who don't want to lean on primitive, social life destroying methods (k, that's exaggeration.) just for a different color and a feeling of "accomplishment" afterwards.

Not to mention that RNG abuse actually makes your shinies usable, which takes your middle finger, magnifies it, elongates it, and thrusts it into the face of whatever noob you're bragging to.

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
They themselves are like little treasures, discovered through chance and luck, whom you will cherish.

They make the game so much more interesting

I like shinies because it makes you feel special when you're playing with friends using standard sprites. They'll say "Wow! You have a shiny Alakazam!" and I'll say "Yeeeerrp! ;)"

Meowth City

Staff member
Because shinies are super rare, they sparkle when you send them out to battle and they are a different color.

Claranium

Shiny hunter
idk something in your mind say "I wanna this thing in shiny version" and you begin to hunt it. When you get it you feel very happy and proud! At least this happens to me.

It's much more psychological than any another reason.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
It's just something nice for people. Like, something rare for people to have.

They are MEANT to be a random encounter thing, something you can feel good about finding. Something rare. But people started figuring out how to cheat the system and get them when they want. And since it was big, Gamefreak decided to make it even easier, so that more people would stick to it.

Seriously, it's not a big deal. Some people just like the idea. There are some pretty looking shinies out there. It's a preference thing.

ZoruaBoo

*slaps younger me*
They are so rare! Like Diamonds! Diamonds don't do anything or help in any way, but people pay large amounts of money to have them! So it's the same thing with shiny Pokemon! They don't really do anything extra, they are just a sign of status!:3

Status
Not open for further replies.