• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In hindsight, what are your final thoughts & opinions on the Let’s Go games?

Zorovolt

Champion of the Zora
Firstly apologies if a similar thread already exists, but all I could see were trade threads.

The games have been out for a year now and many will have moved on to SwSh (and back to USUM)

How do you feel about the Let’s Go games, in terms of what they’re actually like vs. What you thought they’d be?

For me, I was so dubious after the first announcement and info came out. I’ve played Pokemon since Gen 1 but am far from a Genwunner. However, after getting a copy of Eevee, I absolutely love them. Seeing Kanto in rich graphical detail (hearing it too in the music) is fantastic and I’m actually addicted to the catching mechanic. I think once I was reassured that these were definitely a side game, and the mechanics were not being adopted for all main series games going forward, I felt better. (I do love the games though for what they are)

I just wish there were maybe a few more Pokemon and that the Sevii islands were present.

How about you?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I really love it. Wish there was more of a post game, but overall it is a pretty solid game.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I still think they were pretty disappointing games in general. The only positive things that I can say is that I liked the fact that these remakes could connect with Pokemon GO, and Meltan and Melmetal were a pleasant surprise. Other than that, I still feel that LG/FR are the superior Kanto remakes.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Maybe. But the GO connection was pretty much worthless to me as I couldn't get anything from GO to transfer to it.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
I think it could have been better if they let us have Wild battles instead of the GO catching "mini game"

and trainer battles give out like 5xp per fight. When there are any at all.

I couldn't make it to Mt. Moon without going back to FR/LG, honestly

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I think it could have been better if they let us have Wild battles instead of the GO catching "mini game"

Or maybe have either be optional.

Liked that for the most part, the games were polished, meaning no real typos and that kind of thing. It didn't feel rushed.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Biggest scam on the Switch I have ever seen. Devoid of any interesting ideas, super weak online, literally by the book retelling on Yellow with almost nothing new about it apart from megas (which technically weren't even new).

And for 60$? Nah. Complete scam.

Although looking back at it, I'd argue it's still better than S/W, but at least LGPE is a spin-off and get kinda get away with being lazy and missing content.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Pikasaur said:

I think that the Pokemon GO catching style is one of my biggest pet peeves about these games. It's something that should've been limited to Pokemon Go itself instead of Game Freak adding it to these games. They should've just left some things alone, and the capture mechanic is one of them.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member

Sketchie

literally some guy
Posting candidly, we definitely did NOT need another Kanto remake. I am so sick and tired of the boring, vanilla designs and story of gen 1 being shoved down my throat. It's unoriginal, and frustrating when Gen 4 and 5 continue to get overlooked.

At the same time, LGPE is my favorite rendition of RBY of all time, including the original games. It felt so much smoother, with less of the bumps and hiccups the original games had. I loved playing with my partner eevee. I loooved having my pokemon out, and I loved that each of them got their own walking animations. I loved riding my rapidash! That's been a dream of mine for a decade, is to ride one of them ponies. I also really like the continued EXP share development, because the #1 thing I hated about RBY was having to grind every 5 minutes and the story wouldn't progress like I wanted it to.

Overall: the game was unnecessary. We didn't need another Kanto remake. But dang it, if there's gonna be another Kanto remake, I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Zorovolt

Champion of the Zora
Posting candidly, we definitely did NOT need another Kanto remake. I am so sick and tired of the boring, vanilla designs and story of gen 1 being shoved down my throat. It's unoriginal, and frustrating when Gen 4 and 5 continue to get overlooked.

At the same time, LGPE is my favorite rendition of RBY of all time, including the original games. It felt so much smoother, with less of the bumps and hiccups the original games had. I loved playing with my partner eevee. I loooved having my pokemon out, and I loved that each of them got their own walking animations. I loved riding my rapidash! That's been a dream of mine for a decade, is to ride one of them ponies. I also really like the continued EXP share development, because the #1 thing I hated about RBY was having to grind every 5 minutes and the story wouldn't progress like I wanted it to.

Overall: the game was unnecessary. We didn't need another Kanto remake. But dang it, if there's gonna be another Kanto remake, I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

I must admit I really agree with this! Having played it, I loved it, and was surprised just how much I did. By the same token, it better be the last Kanto remake! (I would have thought it would be...)

MotostokeOnTrent

PokéJungle writer
I think the prevailing sentiment here is spot-on; the game is perfectly acceptable within its own, limited scope. It's an accessible Gen 1 remake which incorporates Go elements to try and solidify the series' hold on mobile gamers, while also including the cruelly-withheld overworld follower mechanic as a dangled carrot for more established fans. Overworld encounters are also an important step forward for the main series games that aids immersion no end.

That said, even on these terms there's some shocking lack of creativity on display. I've always considered the Lt Surge bin puzzle the result of abstraction or time pressures in the original cartridge games. It is mind-boggling that it remains mechanically unchanged 20 years later.

As a contemporary console game, it falls very, very far short. It's not 'gamer entitlement' to say that the modern gaming experience has several times more scope and breadth at this price point. At half the cost, this would be a very welcome innovation that speaks to GF's intent of broadening the 'core' Pokemon play experience beyond the traditional dual-title installments and providing a greater granularity of engagement with the series. However, having paid full price for the thing, I feel like a mug.

Last edited:

Sketchie

literally some guy
@MotostokeOnTrent 's comment was absolutely on point here. If LGPE was its own game, if Kanto had never existed and this was the very first time I was venturing into it, had it been a standalone game with developers flexing and seeing what they could do with a limited, all new 150 pokemon, I would have been blown away.

But it wasn't. It was Kanto. Again. There was nothing new or special about it other than a beautiful coat of paint and some tweaks here and there. Pokémon owns my arse at this point, so yes, I absolutely bought the game, and yeah, I enjoyed it, but that really wasn't worth the $60. It was short and sweet and should have been priced at short and sweet.

Leonhart

Imagineer
iCakeify said:
i wouldnt pay more than 30 bucks for it.

Speaking of price, I was actually surprised when these games first came out and I saw the price tags. I didn't have any experience with Switch games prior to these remakes, so I didn't realize just how expensive Switch games were compared to 3DS games. It doesn't feel worth the price for what we ended up getting, though.

Lucrei

It's really bad.

I love the way it looks and sounds, but that's about it.
FR/LG better in every other way, and potentially wholesale if you enjoy the retro aesthetic.

Negatives
- Practically no xp from Trainer battles
- No way to grind xp outside of catching mini-game
- Annoying catching mini-game is inferior to traditional system
- Insufferable hand-holding (for navigation, resources management & healing

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I enjoyed them to be honest. They were decent for a 1 time thing (the 20th anniversary of yellow), but i wouldn't want more Lets Go games to replace DP or BW remakes.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Lucrei said:
- Insufferable hand-holding (for navigation, resources management & healing

I feel like this was a problem even in the Alola games since I recall a lot of hand-holding and tutorials there too. So while I agree that it was something that irked me in these Kanto remakes as well, I feel that the hand-holding aspect is a problem with a lot of the newer Pokemon games overall.

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Having recently tried to play Let's Go Pikachu again, I can say that I don't really like these games, at all. That's not necessarily because it's a bad game, it's just that when it comes to the spectrum of being more battles-oriented vs. catching-oriented, I fall towards the former way more. I like trainer battles giving decent experience, making it feel like my Pokemon grew stronger after tough fights. Having catching be your best way to gain experience felt awful to me, especially combined with a forced Exp. Share. I like to turn it off, because I like my team to be the same level and I found myself running into scenarios where I'd have to keep using the same team members like Gyarados or Arcanine again just to keep them on par with my starter or Vileplume, so I didn't get to use those Pokemon as much. It bugged me incessantly.

Also your rival is trash, definitely the worst one in a long time. Way too friendly, way too easy to beat too that it felt odd that he was ever actually ahead of you. Would've rather had Red/Blue/Green as your rivals who you encountered later on as travelling trainers with more experience than you who you raced to become Champion against. That would've been cool. Aside from that I have no major complaints, music and graphics were alright, other characters seemed fine, it was just average though really.

I think in the end though this game wasn't for me, it was for a younger audience and possibly Pokemon Go players? I have no attachment to Kanto, I'm 20 now so definitely not the same 9 year old I was when I first got into the games, and I played Pokemon Go for like 2 weeks when my work colleagues got competitive about it. It's just not for me really. If I want a Kanto fix I'll play FireRed/LeafGreen I think!