• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In need of some advice (platinum)

Typhlogirl

keep battling on!
Hi all

I'm trying to challenge the Elite Four for the first time, but I'm not really happy with how my team is looking technique-wise and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some changes that would improve them (apart from the obvious levelling up I need to do). :) Thanks!

Empoleon (Lvl 50) Serious

Return
Avalanche
Surf
Aqua Jet

Typhlosion (Lvl 49) Naughty

Swift
Flamethrower
Lava Plume
SmokeScreen

Staraptor (Lvl 48) Serious

Fly
Endeavor
Take Down
Close Combat

Garchomp (Lvl 49) Quiet

Rock Climb
Crunch
Dragon Claw
Dig

Rhyperior (Lvl 48) Hasty

Strength
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Hammer Arm

Bronzong (Lvl 48) Mild

Iron Defence
Toxic
Extrasensory
Confuse Ray

-;157;

Last edited:

CheapChap

DIDDY DONUTS!
Hi all

I'm trying to challenge the Elite Four for the first time, but I'm not really happy with how my team is looking technique-wise and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some changes that would improve them (apart from the obvious levelling up I need to do). :) Thanks!

Empoleon (Lvl 50)

Agility ( if you are willing to breed ) / Hydro Pump ( to try to score some needed OHKOs )
Ice Beam
Surf
Grass Knot

Kinda standard.

Typhlosion (Lvl 49)

Earthquake
Flamethrower
Focus Blast
Will-O-Wisp

Having two moves of the same type is a bit redundant. WoW can help you to stop physical threats.

Staraptor (Lvl 48)
Brave Bird
U-Turn / Quick Attack
Return
Close Combat

I think Staraptor is too frail do use Endeavor properly, so Return is a better move and has STAB. Brave Bird > Fly for power.

Garchomp (Lvl 49)
Fire Blast / Fang
Crunch / Swords Dance
Dragon Claw
Earthquake

Standard Chomp. Fire Fang or Fire Blast really is your choice, since this isn't Wifi or Battle Frontier. Swords Dance is an option if you prefer to set up and sweep.

Rhyperior (Lvl 48)

Megahorn
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Hammer Arm /Swords Dance / Rock Polish

If you are willing to breed, Curse is a nice option for the last slot as well.

Bronzong (Lvl 48)

Gyro Ball
Toxic
Light Screen
Confuse Ray / Reflect

You can use him as a Dual Screener, which will help your sweepers set up. His hold item should be a Light Clay.

-;157;

Suggestions in bold. You could also post the natures ( if you care ) and the hold items, that would help us on rating ;)

Shinzura

Giant Sunkern
Ground will plow through a lot of your team, especially since they know some rock attacks. Also, build up who can go toe to toe with Milotic. Milotic will own you with Ice Beam, Surf or Mirror Coat, then reload with a Full Restore

Typhlogirl

keep battling on!
CheapChap: Thanks for the help! I've edited with the natures; just how big a part do they play? I've always been curious about that.

Shinzura: That Milotic is such a nightmare! It's part of the reason I'm trying to get advice...it absolutely destroyed me...D:

Shinzura

Giant Sunkern
You might want Grass Knot or an electric move on Bronzong

CheapChap

DIDDY DONUTS!
@Typhlogirl

Every nature helps or hinders one stat by 10%. Let's take as an example, your Typhlosion.

Naughty nature boosts his attack by 10%, but hinders his Sdef by 10%. I guess that on the main site there's what every nature do.

Also, as Shinzura said, your team is ground weak ( on a side note, make sure Bronzong has Levitate as he's ability ).Also, Empoleon can deal with Milotic, since he resists her attacks and strikes back with a powerful Grass Knot. Just be careful with Mirror Coat.

Btw, I suggest you swap Rhyperior, since Garchomp is already doing what he's doing. A Gyarados would make a fine addition to this team

Gyarados ( Adamant / Jolly ) @Leftovers
-Waterfall
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake / Stone Edge / Ice Fang
-Same as above

As per CheapChap's request, I will help him out a little here.

I see no reason why Gyarados would not help here; however, I'm a little worried the set you gave may not serve the same Tanking roll as Rhyperior does, and may change how the team plays ever so slightly. An alternative set would be:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall

Quite the overlooked Tanking set, and a powerful threat In-Game.

However, I'm noting that you seem to lack a... 'core' if you will, to the Team. Garchomp is really your only hard hitter. The rest of your team seems to be doing something on their own that does not involve powerful sweeping. Everything seems a bit random to me.

Also, this is not really important, but I have read your Fanfic, 'The Pokemon Rebellion'. It was one of the first I read on the site, and I think you did a fantastic job on it.

Typhlogirl

keep battling on!
Shinzura: I'm thinking of giving Bronzong an electric move; its moveset is one I am particularly unhappy with.

CheapChap: Ah, thanks for that (and wow, Naughty is really not the greatest nature for a Typhlosion D:) Thankfully my Bronzong does have Levitate, which is useful. So you recommend a Gyrados inside of Rhyperior? I might look into that, actually...if only levelling up didn't take so long. D:

Chaotic Tyrant: I do understand where you are coming from with the 'random' aspect of my team; they do all seem to be doing something of their own. I haven't really grasped how to make them all work together; you'd think after ten years of playing these games, I'd know what I was doing. xD

And thankyou very much for your comment about my fic! I'm very flattered. :)

How to get a Team to flow together takes a lot of work; it really isn't something that comes from In-Game battling, unless you've gotten a lot of practice.

And your welcome about your fic.