• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In Tapu Fini's Mist (1051)

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Sorry but she does if she's on a POKEMON journey and in a TRAINER school. Literally let her be in chef school if her goal has nothing to do with pokemon and her pokemon are for decoration only.
The school is to learn about Pokemon, not to train one. Lillie could have gone her entire school journey without having a Pokemon.

Kintaro

Banned
Doesn't change the fact that the rest of the post was completely accurate. The school is for people to learn about pokemon and be better trainers, neither of which Mallow has any use for according to her goal.

By your logic Brock should have never done any battling either because Brock gave up being a battler in his debut episode when he left the Gym to travel with Ash.

p96822

Evolve me please
I really think they should have cut Mallow plot completely and focused on Hapu, Torracat and Lillie. I felt that there could have been more development with Hapu because she is a really important character. Also why in the world is Shaymin even doing in Alola in the first place?

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
Also why in the world is Shaymin even doing in Alola in the first place?

Well, what in the world were two Suicune doing in Sinnoh back in the DP series? What were the Legendary birds doing in Kalos? What was a Jirachi doing in Unova?

It's long been established that minor Legendaries/Mythicals aren't one of a kind (most of the time) and can have different specimens across regions. This really isn't anything new.

p96822

Evolve me please
There was really nothing to show with Lillie and Gladion. Their father is alive (surprise to nobody). The episode is firmly established this. Also we’ve known from prior episodes that Hapu wanted to become Kahuna and prayed to Tapu Lele for it. I don’t see the point in focusing heavily on an already established plot and a plot that didn’t need anymore depth anyway.

I rather have more moment with Hapu then wasting time with Mallow

DatsRight

That and Mallow's goal has nothing to do with battling.

But Mallow doesn't really get a lot of goal development, and when she does it's ironically cut off most of the time for her to, guess what, BATTLE. A very lame one sided battle against a jobber villain, but still a battle. She's had all of two focus episodes right now that have really tried to put in some full attention to her character and her bond and use of her Pokemon (and even those pull short cuts here and there), otherwise she's kinda doing the same generic things other third wheel companions get.

While Kiawe, Lillie and Sophocles haven't had terrific amounts of limelight, I still think they have had something that equates to a small character arc, especially due to them playing off the series' recurring 'big fish in small pond' motif like Ash does (ie. they're gifted in their element, but out of it they're hopeless buffoons) giving them some agency and some agenda to expand upon, along with some fallibility and good old humour value. All four of them have also had at least one episode that plays off as a near full and impressive character study. They feel reasonably complex as characters. Hell I could argue even Rotomdex has some recurring characteristics and goals to keep playing on in his limelight in a palpable way.

Mallow and Lana don't really have this, they lack specific flaws or weakspots most of the time, even the stuff irrelevant to their goals they're usually allowed to win easily, while their goals themselves are ironically limited in any form of expansion (then again how can you add some daunting new personal challenge to 'making bigger bubbles'?). Their episodes are mostly the ones reliant on external dilemmas like their family or antagonists or COTDs being the problem rather than any need for improvement in their own characters. It also means they can't develop on their agency, even ensemble episodes like the Ultra Guardian ones, which are largely the group fumbling around trying to figure out how stop a UB according to their niches, they're usually in the background doing nothing.

To make things clear, this isn't me complaining about the episode itself, it was pretty impressive, but I'm not on the whole "this episode completely fixed Mallow's character' bandwagon.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Shaymin's a cute species and all, but it's among my least favorite Mythicals overall. I'm glad that Mao will be its caretaker however, because she deserves the screen-time.

Kintaro

Banned
It's rather funny that Cosmog went to Ash instead of Lillie, and now Shaymin to Mallow. I wonder why Lillie didn't get to bond with a mythical or legendary

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
This is the third dark themed episode of this series after litten capture and zeroara-guzzlord two parter and frankly all three have delivered big time. Pretty ironic for a series which is light hearted they have delivered some great dark and mature stuff.

Well, what in the world were two Suicune doing in Sinnoh back in the DP series? What were the Legendary birds doing in Kalos? What was a Jirachi doing in Unova?

It's long been established that minor Legendaries/Mythicals aren't one of a kind (most of the time) and can have different specimens across regions. This really isn't anything new.

Suicune in sinnoh was indication by writers that johto remakes were around the corner, it came i think after 1 or 2 years after that, might be shaymin's presence could mean DP remakes could be near as well, besides shaymin being based on flower pokemon suits mallow well too.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
This is the third dark themed episode of this series after litten capture and zeroara-guzzlord two parter and frankly all three have delivered big time. Pretty ironic for a series which is light hearted they have delivered some great dark and mature stuff.
Reminder that we also had an episode where the kids watched dozens of Pokémon disintegrate into nothing because they could not survive in the earth's atmosphere. So I'd say this is at least the fourth time Sun & Moon has gotten really heavy.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
It's rather funny that Cosmog went to Ash instead of Lillie, and now Shaymin to Mallow. I wonder why Lillie didn't get to bond with a mythical or legendary
It all started when Ash took her pad...

Reminder that we also had an episode where the kids watched dozens of Pokémon disintegrate into nothing because they could not survive in the earth's atmosphere.

Don't forget Rayquaza eating the dust, but they didn't know and rather acted surprised in awe. Black comedy at its finest.

andrewscott48209

Reminder that we also had an episode where the kids watched dozens of Pokémon disintegrate into nothing because they could not survive in the earth's atmosphere. So I'd say this is at least the fourth time Sun & Moon has gotten really heavy.
Also, don't forget episode 47, the end of episode 48, episode 49, the end of episode 50, and episode 51. This is where we find out that Lillie was afraid of touching Pokémon because she was nearly abducted by an ultra beast, that her entire progress that she made in overcome her fear was erased when she saw Silvally, her finally overcoming her fear of touching Pokémon her mother got abducted by an ultra beast while trying to protect her and her brother, and their decision to go save her.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Also, don't forget episode 47, the end of episode 48, episode 49, the end of episode 50, and episode 51. This is where we find out that Lillie was afraid of touching Pokémon because she was nearly abducted by an ultra beast, that her entire progress that she made in overcome her fear was erased when she saw Silvally, her finally overcoming her fear of touching Pokémon her mother got abducted by an ultra beast while trying to protect her and her brother, and their decision to go save her.
The darkest part to me was honestly Lusamine sacrificing her for Gladion, looking helpless and leaving Lillie and Gladion screaming for their mother. That scene was intense... Nihilego’s screech, Lusamine’s face and just the overall episode ending like that.

DatsRight

I loved how those episodes were rare cases even Ash seemed out of his depth, one of his friends had been hurt in a BIG way (that was indirectly his fault) and he didn't quite know how to deal with it since for a while it seemed something he couldn't just do his 'save the day' reverse button with. Lillie is definitely a companion he had to be more proactive with, not just the 'at arms length' supporting shoulder and motivational speaker, he had to be there and console her through it all, since her personal dilemma was MUCH more heavy.

This is how you do 'dark' stuff, subtle but substance laden stuff with new emotional challenges for the protagonists.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Sweet mother of Tapu Koko, the feels in this episodes. While absent parents are nothing new in the Pokémon anime (if anything, they are the norm; most main characters have either one or both parents absent from their lives), it's not very often the anime actually addresses what happened to said absent parents. And for an absent parent to actually be confirmed dead, and for that death to actively tear at a character—well, I didn't expect that. The fact that her last words to her mother were hurtful could actually explain why Mallow always seems so cheerful. She doesn't want to risk her last moments with someone dear to her being a negative experience.

I honestly wish they had a Lillie-Mallow conflict from this. Mallow witnessing Lillie being rude to Lusamine could of possibly triggered her and made Mallow feel like Lillie doesn’t appreciate having a mother while Mallow doesn’t have one anymore. Maybe have Mallow consult Lillie instead of Burnet and hint Mallow’s mother’s passing? Or at the very least dug into something like that.
If Pokémon were a better-written series, then I would have expected something like this. Lillie's interactions with her mother could have served as a "trigger" for Mallow, given her history with her own mother. Unfortunately, I don't expect the writers of this anime to think so far ahead into the future when writing episodes. (Either that, or they don't trust the young audience would be able to remember minor details like that over the course of so many episodes.)

DatsRight

If Pokémon were a better-written series, then I would have expected something like this. Lillie's interactions with her mother could have served as a "trigger" for Mallow, given her history with her own mother. Unfortunately, I don't expect the writers of this anime to think so far ahead into the future when writing episodes. (Either that, or they don't trust the young audience would be able to remember minor details like that over the course of so many episodes.)

Baby steps right now, Satomine. SM is arguably the anime's first attempt at a fully character driven series (and this is probably the first instance they've actually succeeded with Mallow in particular). After five series of relying on formula, this new direction is very unfocused right now, hopefully Gen 8 will refine on it.

SM has been decent at checking back on things however, many things that the fanbase are certain 'that's it, they've ditched it' they do go back them while previous series often dumped or only made one time use of certain ideas, though admittedly Mallow has usually been a clear afterthought.

Last edited:

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
Unfortunately, I don't expect the writers of this anime to think so far ahead into the future when writing episodes. (Either that, or they don't trust the young audience would be able to remember minor details like that over the course of so many episodes.)

Actually, I’ve seen a lot of people on Twitter and Tumblr connect this episode back to some little details in previous episodes, so it’s possible that the writers were planning for this all along and put in those minor details to see if we’d get it beforehand (kind of like what they did with Lana catching Eevee). Of course, it’s also possible that they’re over-analyzing things, but I’d like to think not.