• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In Tapu Fini's Mist (1051)

Sonnas

I don't think there was much of any foreshadowing.

I get the feeling they didn't really know what to do with Mallow, and Ultra Legends was just that era they managed to improvise some halfway good plot ideas for her.
I feel like your giving them too much credit on that.
And also your praising them for giving Mallow what was essentially a breadcrumbs worth of development and think it's the best thing ever for her. Even though it doesn't make her interesting.

Last edited:

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Were there any hints because I don't remember her saying that to Lillie.
Looking back at the scene I was thinking of (from episode 46) I may have been reading into it a bit... I will say though that seeing this scene after having watched this episode, I did take note of it being Mao specifically who spoke up. It could be a coincidence... But it makes sense from the perspective that she would be the one expressing doubt about someone else's treatment of their mother.
nm83jab.png

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
The fact the writers specifically went out of their way to give each of the SM cast a set of parents except for Mallow was a big hint something was up. And it's not like her family was a minor thing. Her dad and bro appeared more than once.

Sonnas

Looking back at the scene I was thinking of (from episode 46) I may have been reading into it a bit... I will say though that seeing this scene after having watched this episode, I did take note of it being Mao specifically who spoke up. It could be a coincidence... But it makes sense from the perspective that she would be the one expressing doubt about someone else's treatment of their mother.
Maybe if she did it more or say it more emotionally it would've been foreshadowing.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The fact the writers specifically went out of their way to give each of the SM cast a set of parents except for Mallow was a big hint something was up. And it's not like her family was a minor thing. Her dad and bro appeared more than once.
Weren't we introduced to Lana's father much later, though.

Also, where are Kukui's parents. And Burnet's.

(...Though then again, any elder was most likely long dead, unless it's Hala.)

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Not everything needs foreshadowing. It's nice to have and can add a lot to a moment, but it's not that without it a moment can't be executed well or still be fulfilling or memorable. This had foreshadowing during the episode itself, and it makes sense that it wasn't brought up before, Mallow wasn't keen on talking about it and the rest of the main cast didn't know the intricate details. Mallow's reluctance makes sense in hindsight, it's not like it's impossible to feel for Mallow here or that there's a disconnect. Foreshadowing can help build that connection between the audience and a character, but it is so well done in this episode with the storyboarding and Mallow telling Lana the full story it not being brought up before isn't hindering the execution or connection here at all, at least not in my perspective.

DatsRight

I feel like your giving them too much credit on that.
And also your praising them for giving Mallow what was essentially a breadcrumbs worth of development and think it's the best thing ever for her. Even though it doesn't make her interesting.
Oh no, I don't think Mallow was done well. She was still arguably the most vanilla of the SM lot, just Ultra Legends seemed to be when they had at least grasped SOMETHING for her besides her Pokemon evolving or self contained TR episodes. It still wasn't amazing but it was at least an improvement and something remotely character driven like the rest of the SM cast.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Well it would've been if her mother was mentioned before as apposed to just being introduced in this episode only.
And? Doesnt really affect the beauty of this episode at all. There was a reason she didnt have a parent when everyone else did, I dont see the point of bringing it up until she was met with a circumstance where she might finally be able to right a wrong. Why would she bring this up anyway considering how much guilt she felt, no one would want to bring that up. Plus not everything needs to be foreshadowed, this episode still added to her character and isnt less emotional because mallow didnt mention her mom was dead earlier in the series!
What's with the sudden trend of reviewing old episodes? Not that i mind...
It was the 2 year anniversary, so decided to revisit

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I agree that this episode could’ve used a bit more foreshadowing but I can really relate to Mallow and she’s always been my favorite SM companion tied with Kiawe so I’m glad with her development

Last edited: