• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In Tapu Fini's Mist (1051)

Vipsoccermaster

Good episode. Great to see Stoutland again. It's great seeing Stoutland train Toracat the new Fire Blast move. Mallow and her mother were nice to see, but it seems odd for Mallow's mother to look like an ordinary COTD character. She doesn't look like she shares the same blood as Mallow, but it is what it is. Great to see Shaymin on the main cast for the time being, though. Shaymin will stay until it is able to change form and take flight. I liked seeing Gladion and Lillie getting back together for a bit to find out about their father's whereabouts, but little did they know that their father is still around. They certainly haven't see him for a very long time, ever since Gladion and Lillie were young kids, likely before Gladion found an injured Eevee for Hobbes to care for it.

The powers that the Island Guardians have are great, but they're not to be taken lightly.

MockingJ

Banned
Shaymin joining the cast felt like a cheap way to strengthen Mallow's team when she didn't deserve a freebie like that, but sure why not. I was actually saddened by the fact that Mallow's mom was dead. All this time I just thought she wasn't around like most parents in this show. :(

Leonhart

Imagineer
I really wish that Mao's mother hadn't been killed off prior to the start of SM since I feel like the Alola saga has had enough death references by now, what with Mooland and then Ohrot a couple of episodes ago. Having Mao be motherless now seems really depressing when I think about it.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
1. If anything there needs to be more death references.

2. For now, I think Gladion and Lillie's father is serving in the Alola Navy under an assumed name. Many people change their names after faking their death.

DatsRight

Shaymin joining the cast felt like a cheap way to strengthen Mallow's team when she didn't deserve a freebie like that, but sure why not.

It kinda edged into looking like at first, but Mallow is out of the league now and Shaymin's still only got one filler plus an offscreen win for limelight. I am wondering what exactly they are planning with Shaymin since even in this episode its 'capture' was rather fleeting.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Well, wow. What else can I say? That was probably the best episode of SM.

Stoutland reappearing. Fire Blast. Mallow backstory. Shaymin. Hapu becoming Kahuna. "Your father is alive" sent chills down my spine

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I don't remember it, but they have censored episodes for quite dumb things after several years (like censoring the episode with Lorelei, even although it was aired in my country back in the day). Now that I think of it, the episodes from BW where Team Plasma debuted, they were censored because of an earthqueake in Japan around that time, so the relatives of the victims won't be offended.

That didn't stop them from censoring the episode where Ash caught his herd of Tauros.

Why are you living in the past?

The writers clearly didn't think anything through because they keep trying to push the fact that Mallow is a trainer

When has that been pushed?

Did anyone noticed one thing ash was in the mist, but he encountered only stoutland and not his father guess that means his father is still alive somewhere.

!!!!!!!!!!

Its the same like with ash there fathers are just not needed for the story, besides if you notice out of all the companions ash, dawn and serena are the only characters who came from small towns rest of them are from big cities just like there game counterparts where also only there mothers were present so that is to it, there fathers are not required at all.

Actually, Iris is from the Village of Dragons, but maybe you're just counting it as Opelucid City.

Agstrek

Looking back on this episode, the setup for the Mohn arc got me so hyped, but now I don't think it's going to live up to it. I hope I'm wrong though.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
This adventure seemed low key but a lot happened in a short amount of time. Actually I think my favorite part was the introduction and explanation before things got started. Inside the mist is a boundary between this world and the next one and if you are not careful, there is a chance of becoming trapped forever! Hapu was describing this extremely dangerous circumstance but it seemed kind of really casual some how.

Even though Ash does not have its pokeball with him, I wonder if Noctowl would have been able to help people escape from the mist in an emergency?

Sham

The Guardian of War
Never wrote a full review on this and probably never will but I enjoyed Mallow’s plot and the overall teaching lesson of this episode. It encourages kids to be thankful for the small things in life and not take them for granted. Mallow thought she would have her mother for much longer than she actually did so she didn’t appreciate her and said rude things to her. Of course she was a child so she didn’t know any better. I really loved that “thank you” spam moment. It was a turning a negative into a positive. It’s good to be thankful for the small and big moments. It was kinda corny but powerful and I really enjoy when Pokémon teaches universal lessons outside of Pokémon that one can take into life.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
2 years since one of the best episodes of the anime ever aired! This episode was so beautifully written, its so freaking emotional and heart provoking. 10/10
Such a good lesson for the kids watching the show too, this just pulls at your heartstrings man, Mallow really needed this for her character. The start of the episode, mallow's regret and finally being able to show gratitude to her mom, gratitude so powerful it summons shaymin. So damn good!

Sonnas

2 years since one of the best episodes of the anime ever aired! This episode was so beautifully written, its so freaking emotional and heart provoking. 10/10
Such a good lesson for the kids watching the show too, this just pulls at your heartstrings man, Mallow really needed this for her character. The start of the episode, mallow's regret and finally being able to show gratitude to her mom, gratitude so powerful it summons shaymin. So damn good!
Well it would've been if her mother was mentioned before as apposed to just being introduced in this episode only.

DatsRight

Looking back on this episode knowing how the saga ends only makes it worse

Mallow's mother was never mentioned or brought up before or after this episode, and Shaymin only existed so they didn't have to animate Mallow and just have her standing in the background holding a shaymin

What a waste

Really no one in this series actually suffered "Togepi syndrome", because they already started off carrying their Pokemon. :p

Mallow sadly lost her energy quite early on, but it wasn't owed to getting her baby mon. If anything the era she had Shaymin she was more liable to do something worthwhile.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Well it would've been if her mother was mentioned before as apposed to just being introduced in this episode only.
I would say there are a few subtle hints before this, like her appearing to be real big on having Lilie reconcile with Lusamine in the Aether arc, or the simple fact that she never mentions her mother or even her "parents", plural (though this only applies to the Japanese version, as the dub had her say in episode 24 that they were busy running the restaurant... This is a very understandable mistake though owing to how the Japanese line was written and at that point I don't think anyone was even suspecting that she might live in a single-parent home) but... yeah this definitely would have been stronger if they had properly established her mom as... existing... before this.

Sonnas

I would say there are a few subtle hints before this, like her appearing to be real big on having Lilie reconcile with Lusamine in the Aether arc, or the simple fact that she never mentions her mother or even her "parents", plural (though this only applies to the Japanese version, as the dub had her say in episode 24 that they were busy running the restaurant... This is a very understandable mistake though owing to how the Japanese line was written and at that point I don't think anyone was even suspecting that she might live in a single-parent home) but... yeah this definitely would have been stronger if they had properly established her mom as... existing... before this.
Were there any hints because I don't remember her saying that to Lillie.

DatsRight

Were there any hints because I don't remember her saying that to Lillie.
I don't think there was much of any foreshadowing.

I get the feeling they didn't really know what to do with Mallow, and Ultra Legends was just that era they managed to improvise some halfway good plot ideas for her.