• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In the end, what was Goh's purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
To represent the catching aspect of the series in general? In pokemon go, its also the entire mechanic of the game. And also just to be a best friend to Ash, which he succeeded at. A really unique and awesome character to end off Ash's journey with. They had great chemistry, better than any other characters imo.

pardusco

"The oppression of Poké Balls."
To get people used to the idea of a new protagonist, which doesn't really make sense when considering that the end of Journeys made Ash completely overshadow Goh since the writers realized that not prioritizing the main character in his final series is a terrible idea. Unfortunately, that's all I can come up with.

Maybe you could also argue that he was great for filler episodes, since his whole character was basically designed to waste time. He did a terrible job at promoting a game that peaked 3 years prior to the start of Journeys, he had a fruitless goal for a large chunk of the series, and he failed at his final goal.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
For Ash to have a traveling companion, like in all the previous sagas.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
To promote a mobile game that peaked in 2016 xD

SoraFan23

Generation 4 was how I got into Pokémon
First it was to capture Mew and then it suddenly went with "Trying to catch every Pokemon" This during a time when Pokemon GO was popular so caused a mess with Goh's goal.

DigitalTrainer

Worried about everything
I guess I’ll go with a few realistic answers along with the problems that came with them.

As his name implies, Goh is meant to be a Pokémon Go advertisement, primarily in the catching department. Through his constant gaining is supposed the catching aspect of being a trainer, while Ash was the battler, locked and restricted to the 5 he caught for the pwc. Problem is, with how easy he catches stronger/legendary Pokémon like they route one 1 tier, this became grating to to lot of people, especially if he caught one’s that people wanted Ash to have, such as the other Galar starters.

I guess Goh was also an attempt to incorporate test another main character with same importance as Ash. This meant prioritizing Goh’s progression to an excessive degree to the point where the writers are saying he’s supposed to be seen as Ash equal, along with using up episodes for Goh while Ash’s progress tended to take a back seat. This is unfortunate because this season was supposed to be Ash’s biggest moment in his trainer career, and even though he beat Leon, the majority of JN was of the worst, boring, and sloppily written quality i've seen. Now Ash is retiring, and I'm left unsatisfied. Plus now they're retiring Ash anyway instead of letting him go to Paldea, which I wanted to happen so they could fix the mistakes of JN and give him the opportunities they withheld from him.

I’m also guessing they wanted to use Goh and his catch’em all schtick to preview several different Pokémon, but this failed considering that most of the Pokémon he caught don’t matter and just wasted time. I also feel Gen 8 suffered due to them not focusing enough on Galar, and the fact that a lot of important Galar pokemon went to such a ineffectual character.

Status
Not open for further replies.