• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In the end, what was Goh's purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of War

TheLink

Eunie is as Eunie does.
I’ll do you one better - *why* was Goh’s purpose?

To be another companion, for better or worse. His execution may not have been the best but he wasn’t the worst either. He was a very “middle of the road” companion.

Misty Lover17

Water Trainer
The purpose was to show that you can catch the strongest wild pokemon with your strong desire. he didn't do it but it was worth to see how he tried to catch the most mysterious pokemon ever.

Psajdak

To be Ash's companion in PJ, just as any other character in his place would have been.

No matter how iconic Ash and Pikachu are together, it just doesn't work with only two two of them in a long running series.

Ash NEEDS another human character to interact with, and honestly, as someone who got back into Pokemon with PJ, Go had a good chemistry with Ash.

BlueDragonfangirl

Riddle me this : in the end, what was Ash’s purpose?
He’s saved the world a couple of times both in the movies and main timeline, if that’s not of value I don’t know what is. Mean while we already got guys like Team Rocket in this world, let’s add a guy like Goh too.

Kameinu

Arooo!
Guinea Pig to try out how a new protag would affect the series without committing to taking Ash out yet.

And jump in the POGO bandwagon.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
He was basically there to try and lure the Pokemon GO playerbase into watching the anime by being a caricature of the way they play the game itself, to the point the player's avatar can even wear his outfit. Unfortunately said players stuck too much to the game itself and had no interest in this character.

Pokeshipper_

His purpose was catching many mons and no other things without making bonds with them (only with the starters) but Chloe was an Eevee taxi, so I don't know which one is worse

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Originally to promote the larger extent of the Pokémon universe like Go and maybe Masters by simply catching everything. The writers probably realized that wasn't sustainable and wouldn't go anywhere so they introduced Project Mew, sort of like a more conventional goal by the anime standards. It had potential I guess, but ultimately it was wrapped up in a very disappointing way and made Goh's existence feel like a big w h y.

Or.......another theory is just that the writers watched too much HxH (hence the same OP throughout as well) and wanted to emulate Gon and Killua but just failed badly.

Last edited:

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Since Journeys has ended for Goh, he's Goh-ne, which means it's time to see what his real purpose was to you. What was it?

(Yeah, I had a topic with a poll, but I decided to delete it because it seemed more...distracting, shall we say. Ha ha.)
Promote Deku's voice actor, return with the co-protagonist act, have a less bloated cast than SM, promote Pokémon GO's mechanic, have less CotD, by having him catching PotD, which happened even less along of the road...

In universe, I think it was just to give Ash a partner who could be a contrast to him, but also have the same drive and cheerfulness for meet new pokemon. That part of the character they got right.

My problem was with the captures. Go is the character with the biggest pool of pokemon in the show and, despite some of his 'mons have very funny or distintc personalities, they weren't as used as I wish, while the Galar starters got the spotlight. I'd have love if misdreavus, darmanitan or beedrill had more to do or develop a few of the others at the lab.

In a way, it could be better if Ash could have more than six 'mons this time, or if Oak's lab was the main hub, so at least we could see Ash's pokemon trying to help with Go's.

Ryker101

Mainly to promote pokemon Go, but I’d also say to test replacing Ash. He’s the first companion not based from the games and could’ve stuck long-term due to his goal. Think they were testing the waters for Ash’s exit, by introducing a co-protagonist and shifting away from a trio. Because that’s what the new series is doing. I could see them initially wanting him to take over from Ash but changing it due to his reception. But then again he was tied down with the Galar starters anyway

Warfad

First it was to capture Mew and then it suddenly went with "Trying to catch every Pokemon" This during a time when Pokemon GO was popular so caused a mess with Goh's goal.
Go's goal didn't randomly change because of PoGO. His goal to catch every pokémon was revealed before the series started, so it was always planned to be catching every pokémon with his ultimate goal being Mew.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Since Journeys has ended for Goh, he's Goh-ne, which means it's time to see what his real purpose was to you. What was it?

(Yeah, I had a topic with a poll, but I decided to delete it because it seemed more...distracting, shall we say. Ha ha.)
To catch ‘em all and have a bromance with Ash.

Guy100

I felt that Goh's purpose was an experiment to see if he could carry on with the anime as the primary new protagonist. However, I felt the writers just didn't know what to do with him, besides incorporating his gimmick of being an expert catcher and wanting dream of catching every pokemon in the world. However, the problem with that goal was once he caught a Pokemon he never or rarely ever used it. Which defeats the purpose of why he was ever considered a Pokemon trainer.

I mean, the writers couldn't place Goh into doing gym challenges or pokemon contest performances as that would make him more so a copy of previous protagonist.

With Ash being the center main protagonist of the story, it seemed that the writers couldn't give Goh a proper goal as a trainer to make stand out mor, besides some mini arc story with Project Mew.

I mean, it begs to question the reason Goh was made out to be trainer. Whats the purpose of being a pokemon trainer if all you do is simply catch Pokemon but never train or use them for a primary purpose such as battling or other competitive competitions such as contest, to bring out their potential and establish a true relationship with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.