• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In the end, what was Goh's purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
I felt that Goh's purpose was an experiment to see if he could carry on with the anime as the primary new protagonist. However, I felt the writers just didn't know what to do with him, besides incorporating his gimmick of being an expert catcher and wanting dream of catching every pokemon in the world. However, the problem with that goal was once he caught a Pokemon he never or rarely ever used it. Which defeats the purpose of why he was ever considered a Pokemon trainer.

I mean, the writers couldn't place Goh into doing gym challenges or pokemon contest performances as that would make him more so a copy of previous protagonist.

With Ash being the center main protagonist of the story, it seemed that the writers couldn't give Goh a proper goal as a trainer to make stand out mor, besides some mini arc story with Project Mew.

I mean, it begs to question the reason Goh was made out to be trainer. Whats the purpose of being a pokemon trainer if all you do is simply catch Pokemon but never train or use them for a primary purpose such as battling or other competitive competitions such as contest, to bring out their potential and establish a true relationship with them.
I mean, Legends Arceus came out this year and is entirely about catching every pokemon. It's a viable goal. Gotta catch em all.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
To be Ash's companion in PJ, just as any other character in his place would have been.

No matter how iconic Ash and Pikachu are together, it just doesn't work with only two two of them in a long running series.

Ash NEEDS another human character to interact with, and honestly, as someone who got back into Pokemon with PJ, Go had a good chemistry with Ash.
While that may be the case with Ash needing someone else to bounce interactions off of, I found it didn’t work well with just Go. People say that they have good chemistry but for me, their interactions got pretty boring after a while because it just felt like Ash interacting with a smarter Ash. There wasn’t enough difference in them to make for having only the 2 of them most of the time. Really the only times that you were reminded of any difference (mainly his having a hard time working with others or introverted aspects) was when the plot wanted to push them as a plot point for about 5 seconds before yo-yoing back to how he’s portrayed in most episodes and never really felt consistent. Really, I can’t put his chemistry with Ash as anything special considering that it’s not like they’re not gonna give Ash chemistry with a character he’s gonna spend at least 3 years with.

Zamir

While that may be the case with Ash needing someone else to bounce interactions off of, I found it didn’t work well with just Go. People say that they have good chemistry but for me, their interactions got pretty boring after a while because it just felt like Ash interacting with a smarter Ash. There wasn’t enough difference in them to make for having only the 2 of them most of the time. Really the only times that you were reminded of any difference (mainly his having a hard time working with others or introverted aspects) was when the plot wanted to push them as a plot point for about 5 seconds before yo-yoing back to how he’s portrayed in most episodes and never really felt consistent. Really, I can’t put his chemistry with Ash as anything special considering that it’s not like they’re not gonna give Ash chemistry with a character he’s gonna spend at least 3 years with.
I really think you miss the point of Ash and his friendship with goh acting more intelligent than him several times we see how the latter feels intimidated when he meets people who have traveled with ash goh grows as a person and creates friendships being able to open up to other people since Basically, before he was a lonely geek, the fact had the courage to separate, Ash shows that he has grown because before it was difficult for him to separate from the first connection, Ash, but now he has the courage to achieve that

Last edited:

Zamir

Well, Misty had all the reason to think of him as a little punk. She was a Gym Leader (or at least the only one who cared next to her sisters trying for Pokewood).

Iris was obviously trying to follow on Misty's footsteps (now that I think about, it's wild they never met each other), but the thing is, the universe conspired to make Ash into an idiot so she had a point and have parallels to Misty.

But after Iris, it's been sunshine and rainbows with every other companion. I honestly thought Goh would clash harder after learning his (cheap) strained history with people, but...he became Ash's best (saga) friend rather too quickly at the point they literally just met.
I don't see your point a person who has no friends gets a tie it is evident that they will have it as something very important

Zamir

Well, Misty had all the reason to think of him as a little punk. She was a Gym Leader (or at least the only one who cared next to her sisters trying for Pokewood).

Iris was obviously trying to follow on Misty's footsteps (now that I think about, it's wild they never met each other), but the thing is, the universe conspired to make Ash into an idiot so she had a point and have parallels to Misty.

But after Iris, it's been sunshine and rainbows with every other companion. I honestly thought Goh would clash harder after learning his (cheap) strained history with people, but...he became Ash's best (saga) friend rather too quickly at the point they literally just met.
at this point every argument against goh seems more like a dislike

Zamir

literally goh he takes care of his friendships above all else one reason why his friendship with horace ended was because he felt betrayed when horace did not go to the place obviously his bond ash will be stronger and several times he has discussions that do not go 20.20 arguing does not do their perfect relationship as you want to think

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
I really think you miss the point of Ash and his friendship with goh acting more intelligent than him several times we see how the latter feels intimidated when he meets people who have traveled with ash goh grows as a person and creates friendships being able to open up to other people since Basically, before he was a lonely geek, the fact had the courage to separate, Ash shows that he has grown because before it was difficult for him to separate from the first connection, Ash, but now he has the courage to achieve that
Okay what you just described is a one-way street of how Ash influenced Go to be able to grow from the person he was to the person that he ended up as by the end of the series. That‘s having that Ash is an important influence in Go’s life, that’s not really chemistry as chemistry between characters is a 2-way street. From Ash’s side of things, in what way is his friendship with Go any different or more influential than his friendship with his past companions?

Gingertail24

Okay what you just described is a one-way street of how Ash influenced Go to be able to grow from the person he was to the person that he ended up as by the end of the series. That‘s having that Ash is an important influence in Go’s life, that’s not really chemistry as chemistry between characters is a 2-way street. From Ash’s side of things, in what way is his friendship with Go any different or more influential than his friendship with his past companions?
They tried to do something with the flygon fight the Bea loss. But the arc was flawed anyways. After all this time, Ash acting down in the dumps over one battle is just weird asf for me. That's not even GOH fault, just the writers having no idea how to develop him internally. So they resort to Ash losing a battle.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
They tried to do something with the flygon fight the Bea loss. But the arc was flawed anyways. After all this time, Ash acting down in the dumps over one battle is just weird asf for me. That's not even GOH fault, just the writers having no idea how to develop him internally. So they resort to Ash losing a battle.

It was honestly dumb how ash suddenly got a fear tentacle and attacking up close just because he lost one battle. They wanted to do an ash is depressed story but couldn’t be bothered to even built ash’s depression properly and just treated it like a joke.

What a terrible episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.