• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In The Shadow of Zekrom (660)

pidove29

don't worry it's a good ep, and what amazed me is that the first time in the pokemon franchise it's practically uncut (i thought they were going to flip professor's oaks car to make it look "american")

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
I like the fact they didnt alter the episode from the Japanese version. I like Iris's english voice, Trip's, and Juniper's. All the pokemon sounded good except for Tepig. The opening was horrible though, but anyways: Overall, I still like this episode after seeing the English version.

tmega90

Pokemon Trainer
What a great first episode! This season is going to be awesome! The opening was great, I really like it. I like how it was a duet. I love that they brought back Who's That Pokemon? It made me feel really good to see that again. Professor Juniper was really cool. I like her voice. Trip is really cool, he is going to be a cool rival for Ash. I really like his voice. I like how he has Barry's voice. He would not like me, I live in the boonies too. The starters are really cool and they have cool voices. This episode made me fall in love with Oshawott. Team Rocket is really cool now. Zekrom was epic when he showed up. A great start to a great season.

Tyrannotaur

Tyranitar Trainer
I figured I'd give the anime a shot again since its the "Whole new start" and all that. I stopped watching weekly in the middle of the Ruby and Sapphire series (I forget which one) and would only check out Gym battles from time to time.
The first episode of Black & White was pretty good. I still don't like Oak's newer voice but that's just because I was used to his old one for so long. The theme song is more of that woman who they got to do the Diamond and Pearl stuff. I still feel she isn't expressing the epicness the theme is supposed to encompass. She sounds like she is just singing to herself or something. Just very unenthusiastic. I don't mean to sound like the older gamers who complain about how the older games where better, but the Kanto,Johto and Hoenn themes where alot better. The good thing at least is it is short and has some cool animation. I do like alot of the voices they choose for pokemon. Tepig, Oshawott, Pidove, Patrat, and Deerling all sound great. Snivy..not so much. I know Ash's Snivy is supposed to be female, unless I'm mistaken, so she should have a different voice (hopefully).
The new Rival is kind of annoying with the taking pictures. He reminds me when I go out to NYC and you see the tourists taking 4 million pictures of everything. I thought Ash was the tourist here..lol!
I love the return of Who's that pokemon, I wish they'd scream their name after they showed who it was though. "It's Kadabra!" "KADAAABRA!!" Whatever, little gripe of mine that isn't important.

Overall I like the series. I will watch next week too.
Oh and did anyone notice the dialog choices taken straight from the game?
Juniper said what all professors say as you start an adventure I don't remember the exact line she said, but its taken from the start of any game. Right before she shows off the starters.
Also in the next episode Ash says something to the effect of "Shoot! It was so close too!" when Pidove breaks out of the ball. Nice touches there.
-;248;

Qymaen

Petals and Leaves
Well since my thread was closed, here is my review:

In the Shadow of Zekrom

Part I:
Can't say that I like the theme song very much. Way too short. Also when TR captured Pikachu, James' voice still makes him sound like a buffoon even though TR is supposed to be serious from now on. Iris' voice sounds nice though. Very smooth. Juniper, though sounds younger than she looks. I can't believe they came back with "Who's that Pokemon?". Now I'm really excited.

Part II:
Interesting beginning between "Trip" and Ash. Can't say that I agree with the Pokedex's new voice, but eh... I thought it was hilarious at Trips reaction to seeing Pikachu. Perfect! Great battle between Pikachu and Snivy! So far a pretty good intro.

Part III:
Pretty good ending, I'd have to say. Very suspenseful.

Keep up the good work, CN and TV Tokyo.

MidnightScott

Super Gamer
I like that the episode only had Japanese music in it. I was amazed. Then I found out the puns return in Episode 3...disappoint. I await Dogasu's nitpicking. But still, only Japanese music (Well I think anyway...)

The Pokédex sounds like Brock's VA
Iris sounds like Rurichiyo from BLEACH dub.
Trip sounds like Barry.
Juniper at first I thought sounded like Dawn's VA, but now I'm not really sure.

Sapphire Kirby

Evaluation time!
It’s time for everyone’s favorite game show…

Let’s Complain about Children’s Cardgames Anime! With your host, Sapphire Kirby!

Good morning folks, and welcome to the show. In today’s episode, we’ll talk about the first episode of Pokémon Black & White, “In the Shadow of Zekrom.” Let me start off today’s show with my glee that Pokémon International didn’t keep the title “Best Wishes,” because honestly, who’d wish for this! (Rim shot!)

The episode consists of still 10 year old Ash Ketchum, idiot hero extraordinaire, and his best friend and life partner Pikachu. Why is he still 10; we all know he isn’t. Do the writers think they’ll lose the interest of the target demographic if he is 11 or 12? Anyway, Professor Oak is taking Ash and his mom on a vacation/conference to the Unova Region, a place with rare Pokémon that are not found in the other 4 regions Ash went to this year. Let me say right now that Delia’s voice actress sounds a lot better compared to when she was just starting out in the Battle Frontier, so props to her!

Now we take a turn for the worst. Team Rocket, everyone’s favorite trio of bumbling antagonist, has been given a mission to be as boring as possible and infiltrate the Unibrow Unova Region. Giovanni seems not to care about the trio, only using them as bait to lure out Team Plasma. Which makes sense; you don’t screw up for over 15 years and get a promotion by lying in a report. Giovanni probably did some online research; I bet reports of the champion and a group of kids catching three high ranking members of Team Galactic would all over the net.

Upon arriving in the Unibrow Unova Region, a weird storm created by the legendary Pokémon Zekrom zaps Pikachu. He was trying to give the fellow electric type a warning about this season’s quality, but Pikachu refused to listen. Team Serious tries to steal Pikachu, but get blasted away by the legendary Pokémon Zekrom. After the shock, Ash and the others meet Prof. Juniper, who is much taller than Prof. Oak (or Oak is simply a short man when in a Poké-Hawaiian shirt). Juniper takes everyone in ride with her jeep, allowing Ash to awe at the Unova Pokémon and pad out the half hour.

Juniper finds nothing wrong with Pikachu. A trainer name Trip (that’s a name? You must be trippin!) comes to the lab, asking for a starter Pokémon. I must admit, I like Trip. He’s calm, doesn’t like being told what he already knows, and is voiced by Barry. The only thing I don’t like about him is his discrimination towards Kanto, believing it is a region of idiots. Sadly, meeting Ash only helps to prove this theory, as Unova Ash is much more excitable and obnoxious than before. After Ash comments on all the starters, Trip chooses Snivy, leaving Piplup’s cousin Derpderp Oshawott ashamed. However, Ash thinks he’s SO CUTE, turning Derpderp Oshawott into a stalker.

Who’s that Pokémon?

“What the Wobbuffet!?!” was my response when I saw this previously abandoned eye catch being used. It seems to convince viewers that Unibrow Unova is Kanto 2.0; they strayed away from the precious Japanese script and added this segment into the show. We’ll see how long it lasts – well I won’t, but you will.

Ash runs after Trip and tries to talk to him, only to annoy him and tell new viewers what the Pokémon League is. Seeing Pikachu, a Pokémon that is not native to Unibrow Unova, Trip battles Ash. Pikachu is off to a good start (understandable, as it did tie with the Latios of a God Mode Sue) Pikachu is unable to use any electric attacks Ash calls. After quickly losing by a starter Snivy’s Leaf Tornado, Ash rushes his best friend to Juniper. While running tests the Legendary Pokémon Zekrom appears and shocking Pikachu yet again, this time to warn him about ultra powerful water monkeys. With this, the episode ends on a cliff hanger.

So kiddies, let’s review the pros and cons of this episode, shall we?

Pros:
• Improved animation; Iron Tail is actually metallic, and Quick Attack looks less like a glorified Tackle.
• Delia sounds a lot better compared to her last appearance.
• All Japanese muic! now people will stop complaining about dub music!
• Beside his discrimination, I like Trip a lot, and wish he was the main character compared to…

Cons:
• Ash is made more excitable and obnoxious, and has lost intelligence and common sense.
• Team Rocket losing their personality at the turn of a hat, becoming serious and boring. While I have to give the Dub credit for try to let TR retain some of their old selves and still sticking to the script, it sadly wasn’t enough.
• Whenever someone talks about the legendary Pokémon Zekrom, they always have to remind us that the legendary Pokémon Zekrom is indeed a legendary Pokémon.
• I don't like the CGI opening. The song is okay though. Either way, i won't see it much.
• The way Unova is pronounced bugs me.

In conclusion, I did not enjoy the first episode of Black and White. I only watch this episode and the next one to see how TR and Trip was dealt with.

With that, today’s show is over. Tune in a few hours later for the next episode of Let’s Complain about Children’s Cardgames Anime! Thank you, and stay away from airline food!

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I like Pee-duff better than Pee-dove. Also Patrat is pronounced exactly like I thought it would.

Trip irritates me though.

Short Wing

Home of the Braviary
So, Pallet Town is the boonies now is it. I actually think the dub is doing a good job with Trip. - I still don't like his cockiness being a new trainer and him lecturing Ash and all.
At least this time the anime kind of explains Pikachu's sudden weakness and losing to Trip's Snivy by having it's electricity drained by Zekrom's Lightning.
I really liked that they kept the Japanese BGM and I liked Oshawott.
The opening kind of sucked, but I wasn't expecting much anyway.
I also like that they brought back the "Who's that Pokemon?" So long as they don't make a mistake like Arbok evolving into Seviper.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Man. I really wanted to see it but I had play practice at 9:15 so I watched up to the end of the theme song. PLEASE SOMEONE POST IT UP ON YOUTUBE OR MEDIAFIRE!!!!

EDIT:
I love the return of Who's that pokemon, I wish they'd scream their name after they showed who it was though. "It's Kadabra!" "KADAAABRA!!"
They did who's that pokemon?! AWE!!

Last edited:

halloweenghost

great episode.. love that they brought back the "Who's that pokemon?"

I was surprised they used the japanese opening footage for the opening,.. i was for sure to think they were going to use just episode scenes.

I liked the new song thoguh it is pretty short.

Poor pikachu messed up from Zekrom..

Axew sounded so not how i expected it to sound but it's ok :)

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I like the opening after I heard it a few times. The singing/sound editing could improve, but it's good. I have the "It's not always Black and White~..." part stuck in my head.

The voices are better than the preview showed, oddly. Juniper doesn't sound like Dawn anymore, but Trip sounds like Barry, and I can't not hear it. The Pokemon's voices are good. Axew isn't annoying.

My eyes exploded when Who's That Pokemon? came on. Holy crap, I wasn't expecting that. Nostalgia alert!

Great episode and new beginning. 9.5/10.

R_N

A nice start to a new region. unggghhhh I want to play BW so much right now

Axew didn't sound like I thought he would (I figured it'd be more like Gible), but it's not bad.
I like Trip, even if he does seem a bit elitist. I'm really surprised they let him use "boonies"; it's not something you hear at all much less on children's tv shows. At first I thought maybe he'd be Paul-but-with-a-camera, but he seems to care for his Pokemon (I liked his comment towards Snivy after the battle) and overall have enough differences that I see I was kind of ridiculous in my assumption.

I loved the voices for Oshawott & Tepig. OSHA OSHA OSHA
I'm glad Oshawott is sticking around, I love the way it acts.

The Who's that Pokemon?! section returning made my day. It's been, sheesh, since Advanced Generation since we've had that? A shame they didn't put in voices, though.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
US Version comments -

Opening - Really didn't like it. The way it was formatted made absolutely no sense IMO. They should've kept the "don't show til the Pokemon is aired" feature.

Trip's Voice - Equally good to Shooti's voice.
Iris's Voice - I don't know why, but when she said her name it sounded odd. Other than that I like her voice.
Professor Juniper's Voice - Liked.
Oshawott - sounds like a girl to me... even though it's really a male.
Snivy - Great voice
Tepig (Pokabu) - Sounds like it has a cold... Vocal Cords sound scratchy to me.
Axew (Kibago) - great voice
Animation - I'm really glad they kept it the same, it looks great even without HD.
Music - Sweet! It's the same!
Attacks - The Same! excellent

I'm glad the story wasn't changed 1 bit from what I could tell.

60/100
You gave it a D?xD

Well I don't even know what Trip said.... What the hell is a boony/boonie?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I like the opening after I heard it a few times. The singing/sound editing could improve, but it's good. I have the "It's not always Black and White~..." part stuck in my head.

The voices are better than the preview showed, oddly. Juniper doesn't sound like Dawn anymore, but Trip sounds like Barry, and I can't not hear it. The Pokemon's voices are good. Axew isn't annoying.

My eyes exploded when Who's That Pokemon? came on. Holy crap, I wasn't expecting that. Nostalgia alert!

Great episode and new beginning. 9.5/10.

I was so happy when I realized Lisa Ortiz (dub for Daisy, Mars, & Flannery) dubbed Oshawott. Not it makes Oshawott's voice more bareable. Though I thought for sure Pidove would keep its Japanese voice

Last edited:

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This episode was cool. I must be honest, I do not like the new theme song for Black and White. Nice to see so many new pokemon. I was amazed that they broght back the "Who's That Pokemon?" Besides having the world's worst name, Trip also sounds and acts like Paul