• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In The Shadow of Zekrom (660)

this is kind of a minor point, but it's really bugging me: about 29 seconds into the episode, the narrator says "Satoshi, Ju Sai, Pokemon Master...."

I don't know much Japanese at all, but I'm pretty sure "ju sai" = "10 years old". so is the narrator seriously saying that Ash hasn't aged at all during the past 10+ years?

(I realize that cartoons have characters not age all the time, but I would've preferred they just left his age ambiguous)

Last edited:
Mijumiijuuu.. Already can't wait to see more Mijumaru. <3

I loved loved loooooved the animation for the whole episode. Zekrom's shadow and cry was frickin' sick, man. Can't wait to see it during the series' climax.

Shooti... I hope we get to see more episodes with him. He's okay, but I hope his character fleshes out more as the story progresses. I want to see what he's capable of.

Let's see if BW can truly succeed DP..

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Pikachu lost to a starter! It just tied with a legendary a few episodes back, I am so surprised by this!
Not really :)
So Pikachu got zapped before the battle, then the loss is forgivable. Otherwise, it'll be a shame that Pikachu lost before the power reset.

Power reset?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Full CG then? Great..looks we gotta put up with that for at least a year >_>
It doesn't look that bad to be fair. And as of episode 2 of the BW anime, we see each silhouette coming into full color once they appear in the anime itself. It reminds me of PokePark Wii Adventure graphics too.

In other words, I enjoyed the first episode and does anyone else see a change of improvement with the animation? Aside from the eyes, I'm talking about light and shadows on the characters. And second of all, it appears that Jessie and James have three pokeballs left unopen (well, Jessie caught Koromori, so about five unopened); nonetheless, does this mean the previous Pokemon they held won't appear? It's nice to see a change for once with Giovanni, he is something. And it appears as if Oak knows Professor Araggi.

Cobalt_Latios

So, quite the interesting turn of events. Prof. Oak does sort of hint at how Isshu really is another country of sorts (in the way the he's mentioning previous regions)... at least, that's what I'm guessing he's talking about.

Zekrom apparently doesn't want an overpowered Pokemon so damn early, so it uses an electric attack that power resets Pika... at least now it actually makes sense.

New Pokedex is weird, and yet, it seems more automatic.

Tsutajaa is just win. Mijumaru is actually growing on me. I'm beginning to like it more than Pokabu.

Team Rocket... well, they've gotten a neat makeover. And the logo actually looks different. They weren't kidding.

Grass Mixer looks an awful lot like Leaf Storm.

I dunno, I'll have to watch it again; I was kind of out of while watching parts of it.

C_L

Rikudo Sennin

Sage of the 6 Paths
Wow, I have to say I'm really impressed withe the direction Best Wishes seems to be going in.
Mijumaru is awesome and Iris looks like a potentially good character as well. But what i like the most is the fact that Team Rocket seems better and they set up the atmosphere really well, great start for Isshu!

Still not sure about shooti, he seems okay for now. And for the people complaining that Pikachu lost against Tsutarja, he obviously had no electricity and Ash was thrown off guard as a result, making it an easy win for the starter. It would be boring if Ash had just massacred Shooti right off the start, they need to set up a rivalry, which seems to be working, for the most part.

And the opening was great, really liking the new series overall, can't wait to see what's ahead.

BlueDragonfangirl

Ok, so far I've loved every thing about this episode, the way it started off was epic, I freakin love Ash's character more than ever. The animation is really good, Ash's new look looks better in the show and I'll give Shooti some time. So far, I'm ok with the guy I hope they throw some suprises at us with this guy. Onto Mijumaru, I loved its face when it found out it wasn't picked so far he's my favorite starter thus far. Team Rocket was pretty cool this time around too, hope they keep it up the entire series. Over all this episode gets a 5/5 from me.

Blaziryu

This episode was lame. Ash & Pikachu losing against a fake-a** Shinji & his Grass starter was pathetic. Even without it's electric attacks, Pikachu should've been able to K.O. the Grass starter with its Quick Attack. And the episode made it look official that Prof. Oak & Ash's Mom are totally a couple.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Ash has enter the new region of the Pokemon World. The Isshu Region. Pro. Oak and Mom were with them. Team Rocket trio wearing new outfits. Pikachu got struck by Zekrom's shadow making him unable to use electricial attacks which is terrible. And Ash got a new rival in Shooti. I consider his match with Shooti as it didn't count because Pikachu's electricity got stolen. Its an unfair match. At the end of the episode, Zekrom's shadow has reappeared.

ShinyVaati

100% Rebel Time Lord
Pretty good start so far. Loving the animation, it's looking a lot more fluid.

The battle with Shooti was nice enough, I really liked Tsutarja's voice, deeper than I thought it would of been. And Mijumaru's looking awesome. And I laughed towards the end when no once really payed attention to it's sudden presence in the lab.

And wow, they've actually said it... Ash is still, in fact, 10. The characters really don't age...

And the new title card and eye catches look great. I also think they changed the "To Be Continued" again.

Anyway, a pretty nice start to things, hopefully it only gets better.

J-boogie200

I have to say I'm very satisfied with what went down, but because we're starting fresh, I'll do my reviews a bit differently!
BW001:
Delia and Oak
Shooti!!! He is amazing! I love his starter choice and his persona
Team Rocket and Giovanni-Finally, they can be taken seriously!
Iris and Kibago, not much yet, but very adorable and innocent tree scene
The battle was good, but only because of Shooti really, I like the way he handled himself, and it's not like Ash could do much anyway.

Dislikes
Pikachu being injured in the first ep, come on we did this in Hoenn
The fact that Ash had to lose for a BS reason

Overall-A

Last edited:

Corzola

Gible´s biggest fan!
Well, this can be concidered a great ep because it feels new. But aside from than, then we only have a good ep left.

The beginning with Ash following hos mother and Prof. Oak was interesting, but are the two of them (the adults) always together? Not even Tracey was there this time!

For once the Pikachu reset was making sense as someone said, but still, yup a decent Quik Attack should put at least a starter out of commision. Shooti, well he shall be...well interesting to follow but hopw can we belivable think that he is a good rival for a guy who just made it top 4 in a Pokemon League and beat two legendaries?

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
It seems like Ash left is Sinnoh team back at home. Otherwise he could have whupped Shooti. I think that, given some time, he could become quite a challenger.

Kabuto

little punks!
I knew BW was a fresh slate, but I still don't like it. After seeing Pikachu defeat a Regice and tie with a Latios, Smugleaf beats it? I mean Smugleaf is epic but not that epic. I also don't like how they hit the reset button with Ash either, I mean the facial expressions are ridiculously over exaggerated, he acts like a little kid again (they even said he's 10).

Iris is really nothing interesting at all (but to be fair I guess perhaps she's almost as good as Dawn was). Shooti's not nearly as good as Paul was in DP. Team Rocket may seem more "serious" but it's only a matter of time before they become old hat again, and TR centered episodes have become quite tiresome anyway.

I also don't really love the idea of seeing level 1 Pokemon once again after seeing Pokemon like Sceptile, Torterra and Infernape. I know it happened in DP, but seeing it again is a little much for me.

I suppose Best Wishes serves it's purpose to newcomers and children but for a longtime fan like me...it's not doing it. I know I'm not the target audience anyway, so I can't complain too much.

Perhaps maybe down the line I'll watch the show again when they bring back old characters or show better battles but for now...I'm on break.

Zekrom is a badass though. Always.

Last edited:

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
Mijumaru is adorable in this and the following episode. Also Shooti is a bit of a throw back to classic Gary with a new spin with his camera.

raz1337

Miju Miju!
stealing this from another forum where a guy posted a summary:

For anyone who couldn't really understand it, here's the basic gist of what happened:

- Oak invites Ash and his mom to a Pokemon professor summit in Issue

- Ash is really taken in by seeing the new Pokemon

- Team Rocket use a new machine to try to catch Ash, Zeckrom appears and it shocks Pikachu, overloading it and causing it to lose its electric abilities.

- Giovani tells Team Rocket to leave their Pokemon behind (except for Mewoth) and catch new ones native to Issue so as to not call attention to themselves since it seems nothing but Isshu region Pokemon exist here.

- Ash meets his rival, Shooti, who is at Araragi's lab picking his starter Pokemon

- Shooti basically thinks Ash is a bit of a hick, he's not as much of a **** as Paul, but still just not nice outwardly

- Shooti picks a Smugleaf, if I could describe the starters in one emoticon, Pokabu is "XDDD", Mijimaru is "^^;" and Smugleaf is ";D". Pokabu had this "...son of a *****." look on his face that was hilarious when Shooti didn't pick him.

- Ash battles Shooti, finds out that Pikachu can't use electric attacks.

- Araragi manages to get Pikachu's abilities back

- Ash wants to travel around Isshu and sets off

- Iris has never seen a Pikachu (or any Kanto Pokemon) before in person and is spazzing over seeing one in person, Pikachu is all "***** please -__-" over it and shocks her when she hugs him too tightly.

- Iris sleeps in a tree that night while Ash in his sleeping bag, she's gone in the morning

- Ash catches a Mamepato, Iris watches the entire thing and says Ash is acting like a child being so happy about catching a new Pokemon (not in a rude way, more like a "Man you're as giddy as a kid" way)

- Team Rocket attacks, Iris is filled in as to who they are, Team Rocket snatch Iris's Pokemon whose name I forget and Pikachu

- Jessie has a new Pokemon, the furball thing with bat wings, easily beats Ash's since he just caught it

- Just as Team Rocket is getting away, the Mijumaru from Araragi's lab shows up and saves them

- The new Joy is introduced at the PokeCenter. She says she's never seen a Pikachu in person before either. Ash says he's from Pallet Town and that she looks different from all the other Joys he has met.

- The Mamepato that Ash caught is just a bit of a show boat.

- Iris says that Ash is a little strange, and still a bit of a child, but she's really thankful that he helped her get her Pokemon back.

- Ash wonders why Mijumaru saved them, Mijumaru is watching from outside with a curious look on her face.

The first two episodes were rather good and definitely gave Ash a bit more of a unique reason for going to Isshu and travelling around it than just collecting badges and junk. The series itself does basically scream "reboot", Ash is ten years old again, there's next to no mention of anything that happened before, Pikachu couldn't beat a young starter Pokemon even with an Iron Tail.

Should definitely be a good story, I think these episodes did a lot to make me like Mijumaru, at least the one here. It's definitely going to be the next Chikorita, a starter Pokemon that has a crush on Ash.