• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In The Shadow of Zekrom (660)

Umbreon9

It's been a while...
Hello fellow Pikachu.
YEEEEEES! Saw the episode. It's good, the official start of Black and White.

AstralEon

The one and only.
And here we go; the beginning of a new generation and the start of a new series.

Ash still refuses to age, eh? 10 years old and looks a lot younger than he was before. At least they kept his usual VA I suppose.

I still find it uneasy to listen to Prof. Oak without baring in mind that it's also the same VA of James as well.

Juniper is a nice lady, her voice fits her well. ^^

I see Team Rocket is still at it but only this time they have power beside them; Giovanni. o_O

Seeing the starters were great. I'm still lovin' Snivy. <3
To be honest, I went ahead and watch the 2 first episode in Japanese a month ago. Yea, I caved. The suspense was killing me so I just simply had to watched the first 2 subbed episodes. <.<
I liked Oshawotts original voice better than the dubbed one. This one seemed a bit low toned and calm on voice. Eh, I blame my curiosity. But that will soon fade away once we get more Oshawott screen/voice time. The other 2 starters I'm OK with.

This 'Trip' character is an interesting one. I want to give a full review on him but this is just the beginning and who am I to judge someone right at the start. I need more action-view time of him before I set him into stone. I just hope "basics" won't be his catchphrase, used it like 3 times in one episode.

The way I see it, Ash could had beaten him first if it wasn't for Zekrom resetting Pikachu.
And what a bad way to make a first impression too.

Graphics were amazing! That literal iron tail still gets the best out of me. They are seriously amping it up on the details this time.

And that "Who's that Pokemon?" gimmick is back! Whoa! Blast from the very past!

Everything else was just great, really. So far so good.

9/10.

Skydra

I decided to watch the new anime until I get bored, having watched the old anime on and off until stopping completely. I'll post my review of the first episode now, having decided to review every episode of BW until it's over or I get less interested. But watch for spoilers, this review has them :eek:

EP:660 BW:001: In the Shadow of Zekrom

First episode of the new anime. I thought it had some strong points, but wasn’t perfect.

Just to give some background info: Team Rocket has become a more central source of trouble, Giovanni making some appearances. Jessie and James are the new top operatives in Unova, with only their Meowth, just as Ash is restarting with only Pikachu. Meanwhile, Ash, his mother, and Professor Oak fly in to Unova…

The plane ride over was a little cheesy. Such quotes like “The Unova region! I bet there’s all sorts of Pokemon I’ve never seen before!” get kind of repetitive after the main character has been all around 4 new regions already, but I did like the appearance of Professor Oak.

I did, however, think that the event as they exited was a strong point. Zekrom’s appearance and effect on Pikachu was a nice epic twist that wasn’t too full of anime clichés and the mystery it provoked was good. It also, of course, foreshadowed an eventual Team Plasma appearance, as did Giovanni’s reference to a new organization in Team Rocket’s briefing.

The “pick your starter” scene (for a new character, not Ash) was probably the weakest part, due to the anime cheesiness. “Today’s you’re first day as a trainer… you can choose your partner from three types. The first is” and so forth was way too predictable, and boring.

Trip was an interesting new character, and the battle that followed was well done. I had been spoiled the fact of Zekrom’s affect on Pikachu, but it was still a fun surprise. And then the cloud of Zekrom appears again… It was a good cliffhanger that carries over to the next episode.

Now to go more in depth with Team Rocket’s change. Pros: They aren’t quite as stupid anymore, which makes it more interesting and less repetitive. They also don’t have all the running gags that had been strewn throughout the first episodes. Cons: The running gag disappearance is also a con. They’re a little less humorous now. Another con is that their balloon is now black with an R on it. I liked the Meowth balloon better.

Overall, this was a decent first episode. It might had some standard kiddie fare, but it proved to be interesting anyway. I’m going to stick around to see how the rest of the B/W anime shapes up.

Final Rating: 18/30 (6/10)

Last edited:

gliscor&yanmega

Juniper sounds nice, Trip sounds interesting. Oshawott sounded weird to me, sounds like it's saying "Ash" to me. Snivy was alright, Tepig was kind of weird too.

It was a good dub episode.

WIZkid1696

Sarcasm is fun!
How does a level 5 Snivy know Leaf Tornado?

matt0044

How does a level 5 Snivy know Leaf Tornado?

Levels don't exist in the Anime and thank god. Though it does make the exact time of evolution very hard to determine, it allows the Pokemon of the Anime to learn any move within their learnset from the games and then some.

So it's a good thing that there are no levels in the Pokemon Anime. But even so, Pikachu still should be more powerful than a beginner's Snivy.

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
If Pikachu could use electric moves it would have beaten Snivy easily....Its not at all easy when in the middle of a battle Pikachu finds that it can't use its main moves

hever

022611229PM
I really don't like the song for this. The female voice is really out of tune at some parts and can get a bit pitchy. :(

If Pikachu could use electric moves it would have beaten Snivy easily....Its not at all easy when in the middle of a battle Pikachu finds that it can't use its main moves
Yeah Pikachu is (what?) level 56? Or greater? It's at least far more greater in level than a beginner pokemon Snivy. Pikachu is a loser just like its trainer.

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
Since I've avoided spoilers of most 5th gen Pokemon, watching the show now is like watching the show when it first game on and all the Pokemon were new. It felt oddly refreshing to see the "Whos that Pokemon" and not know who the Pokemon was.

The episode was great. Zekrom will probably show up in future episodes. Possibly the new Ho-oh, since it couldn't follow Ash to Unova.

hever

022611229PM
Swampert trainer said:
It felt oddly refreshing to see the "Whos that Pokemon" and not know who the Pokemon was.
Yes it was. It's a shame that they took it out in the episode with Sandile though. :(

travisjb90

What a great first episode! This season is going to be awesome! The opening was great, I really like it. I like how it was a duet. I love that they brought back Who's That Pokemon? It made me feel really good to see that again. Professor Juniper was really cool. I like her voice. Trip is really cool, he is going to be a cool rival for Ash. I really like his voice. I like how he has Barry's voice. He would not like me, I live in the boonies too. The starters are really cool and they have cool voices. This episode made me fall in love with Oshawott. Team Rocket is really cool now. Zekrom was epic when he showed up. A great start to a great season.

Mr. E Goods

Gone for good
I loved this episode... I was surprised Alomomola was the first pokemon you see. I fell in love with Alomomola as soon as I saw its dive out of the water. I liked how it didn't start the episode as soon as Ash departed from Brock and Dawn, but I can't believe ash is sill 10 XD

I adored this episode and I thought all the new pokemon shown had excellent art, especially Pidove. Who knew they could make it look so adorable.

hever

022611229PM
I loved this episode... I was surprised Alomomola was the first pokemon you see. I fell in love with Alomomola as soon as I saw its dive out of the water. I liked how it didn't start the episode as soon as Ash departed from Brock and Dawn, but I can't believe ash is sill 10 XD

I adored this episode and I thought all the new pokemon shown had excellent art, especially Pidove. Who knew they could make it look so adorable.

He's probably 10.5 years old now. :3

Ghost Dialga

Master Trainer
I wasn't the happiest with this episode, it was okay, but not good.

My friend said he heard something about Ash being ten, if that was so I missed it, but in the Pichu Bros short for the third movie, he was eleven. One year anniversary of having met Pikachu.

Now more on to the episode
I really wouldn't doubt if he was still ten, because he was acting like he was. It's because of that, that it's no wonder why Trip doesn't like him so much, even going as far as being told to go back to Trainer School. Zekrom taking away Pikachu's power was cool, it added something different and gave a good foreshadow of events, but even a powered-down Pikachu should've been able to easily take down a starting Snivy. Guess that's their usual predictable selves.
Ash gets a rival
Ash loses to said rival
Ash constantly encounters rival again
Ash constantly loses
Ash and rival both make the region's league
Ash very narrowly wins

Now, Team Rocket has definitely got more serious and dark, that's something nice. Really can't say much more than that since we don't see more of them until later on.

I guess that's all I have to say for now.

LazyMuk

Why does pikachu faints in the first episode itself? I probably think, the foreign pokemon is polluting the other region. Seriously, Ash should get rid off from Pikachu. Though he catches starters. But choosing the starter is more fun.

Skorbycky

Somehow , because of this episode, I've started to hate Zekrom and decide to buy White version for vengeance! Poor pikachu.. :(

Rockymin

All this against the announcer saying Ash is 10, I think I will go for the announcer of the show and say he is 10.

I have a question about that for those that have watched the Japanese version of this episode and understand Japanese. Did the announcer say Ash was 10 in that version as well? I'm just wondering if it was maybe changed for the english version of the episode.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I have a question about that for those that have watched the Japanese version of this episode and understand Japanese. Did the announcer say Ash was 10 in that version as well? I'm just wondering if it was maybe changed for the english version of the episode.

The Japanese version said he was 10, which is why the dub kept it the same.