• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In The Shadow of Zekrom (660)

TheGuyWhoLovesMay

Bug type master
When this was on CITV I missed this episode and the last of DP because I decided to watch The World Cup Highlights for the 13283489034890th time that day.

Wow, when I heard that BW was supposed to be a sort of 'reboot' for the show, they weren't kidding, what with the show immediately staring like it's the very episode of the series.
Not that I'm complaining because of that. I mean, you'd hardly notice he just finished traveling the Sinnoh region one episode before.

Trips personality and attitude towards Ash, to me, seems like a mix of Gary and Paul turned up to eleven.

I already miss how TR use to behave for most of the season,. Yeah, I said it. I enjoyed their zany antics.
Bt I also like how they're more serious about their line of work. I mean, change is always nice. :)

Last edited:
All of the suspense that this episode ended with was pointless. Pikachu's electricity dilemma was solved in the first two minutes of the next episode, and none of the characters had to do anything for this to happen.

As for the rest of this episode, it was lackluster at best. Trip never interested me.

Pikachu52

All of the suspense that this episode ended with was pointless. Pikachu's electricity dilemma was solved in the first two minutes of the next episode, and none of the characters had to do anything for this to happen.

As for the rest of this episode, it was lackluster at best. Trip never interested me.

I agree. It was odd Pikachu's electrical problem did not persist. I wonder they intended to make it one of those scenarios where Pikachu gets reset again, which is what supposedly happened in Hoenn.

It wasn't that bad. There were some nice Pikachu/Ash interactions. I liked the way Pikachu was feeling all bad because he has to have all those tests and Ash is really concerned when the lights go and Pikachu starts sparking in pain. And they way they hugged after the storm was really cute as well.

There are four things that I really didn't like:

1. Ash should have called the battle off when he realised Pikachu was still being affected by Zekrom. It was wrong of him to make his partner battle when he was sick.

2. Pikachu's first battle of the series should not have been a loss. I would argue that even despite the inability to use electric type attacks he probably could have beaten Snivy. By comparison Ash and Pikachu win against Clemont and Bunelby (who are not begginers like Trip) in the opening episode of the XY series. A much better outcome and really does make me wonder whether the BW writers had it in for Pikachu

3. This is the first of many occassions where the BW series uses Pikachu as a punching bag. Trip's Snivy, Iris's Excadril, Cress's Panpour and Cameron's Lucario - all battles Pikachu should have won but lost. At least in XY Pikachu has won nearly all of his battles.

4. Zekrom does not reappear again in the entire series. Why not. We never learn what motive it had for hurting Pikachu.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In that episode, I was really surprised how Trip's Snivy (should be level 5 in the game) could beat Ash's Pikachu even though if game theory was applied, Ash's Pikachu should defeat Snivy without trouble but struggled to beat it because Ash had just came to Unova and doesn't know anything about Unova Pokémon.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I just rewatched this episode after a few years. The animation and bgm in this episode is amazing and I thought it was a decent episode. The only problems I really had with this episode was pretty much Ash's and Pikachu's character in this episode and the battle against Trip. I like the more "darker" version of Team Rocket here, though tbh, they should have left at the end of DP and replaced by B1W1 Team Plasma. This episode did seem to have a darker feel to it in general though imo, though that just may be me.

Anyways I rate this episode 7/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I liked this episode cuz we got to see Ash's mom and Oak stick around for the trip to Unova. I didn't like how Ash lost to Trip however since Pikachu still should've been stronger than a rookie Snivy even with his electric attacks gone. :(

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
This episode really led me to believe that Ash was only there to take a vacation, he smiled a little bit too much during battles and didn't seem to be taking it seriously.Even if Zekrom did take away Pikachu's electric type moves he still could have been able to defeat Trip's Snivy.The real Pikachu would have gotten back up after taking that leaf tornado and if Ash wss smart he would have just relied on Iron Tail to K.O it.Trip's arrogance level rose super high after he defeated him which I find funny considering Ash can just rotate his mons any. time he wishes and just crush him.

JudySpell

Banned
Ash's Pikachu losing to Snivy was embarrassing and an omen of things to come. Zekrom taking Pikachu's power was such a bad plot device. 5/10

Pikachu52

Ash's Pikachu losing to Snivy was embarrassing and an omen of things to come. Zekrom taking Pikachu's power was such a bad plot device. 5/10

Agreed. Especially as it didn't come to anything. Pikachu recovered in the next episode and Zekrom was never seen again. A bad way to establish a rivalry between Ash and Trip and give Ash and underhand against a beginner he should have been several times better than from the start.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I am okay with a soft reboot. I am okay with them trying to imitate the OS. From what I've seen of the OS, Ash's stupidity is due to immaturity rather than genuine stupidity which the later portion of the OS,AG, DP, and here tends to use. Disregarding all continuity so far, this was, at most, a decent episode. Granted, our great dragon of ideals has been reduced to a plot device, but we have a good set up for a competent Team Rocket. Like I said, this series hit the wall when the entire Rocket-Plasma two-parter was canned.

Pikachu52

I am okay with a soft reboot. I am okay with them trying to imitate the OS. From what I've seen of the OS, Ash's stupidity is due to immaturity rather than genuine stupidity which the later portion of the OS,AG, DP, and here tends to use. Disregarding all continuity so far, this was, at most, a decent episode. Granted, our great dragon of ideals has been reduced to a plot device, but we have a good set up for a competent Team Rocket. Like I said, this series hit the wall when the entire Rocket-Plasma two-parter was canned.

It's not necessarily a bad episode but Ash and certainly should not have lost a battle to a begging trainer. Introducing Trip as a rival who is defeating Ash and acting arrogant towards him despite having less experience than Ash was a mistake.

I agree with you about the loss of the Rocket-Plasma two-parter. That was probably the reason we got the club battle tournament in the first place - and that wrecked the series.

U.N. Owen

I agree with you about the loss of the Rocket-Plasma two-parter. That was probably the reason we got the club battle tournament in the first place - and that wrecked the series.

What wrecked the series is that we went back to the same formula with no direction with plots points being dropped off and character arcs that went nowhere. The club battles were the least of their problems.

U.N. Owen

Lol, so why was Ash still ten here even after traveling to 4 regions previously...

Take your pick. The calendar is different from ours, Ho-oh made Ash immortal, "It's magic. We don't have to explain it.", etc.

Musashi~

Fiery Destroyer! <3
Wow,Unova region!I loved the episode!TR looked awesome in those black uniforms plus the whole thunderstorm thing exciting to watch.Ash is still ten but... nevermind.It was shocking to see Ash lose to a beginner trainer like Trip but that was because Pikachu was sick.I liked the animation and music.Oshawatt is freaking cute!9/10. ^^

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
The beginning of the Isshu saga seemed so weird, especially with Okido-hakase and Hanako tagging along. Satoshi's excitement made me smile, however. Zekrom zapping Pikachu and weakening him was interesting, although I would've liked if Satoshi had managed to win against Shooti.

Opal Pikachu13

Like others, I too agree that the whole part of Pikachu losing to a beginner trainer's Snivy was pretty unfair. Even if Zekrom disabled his electric abilities he still could've beat Snivy. Zekrom never appeared after this episode either, and Pikachu's electric ability problem got cured on the 2nd episode. There could have been an explanation on why Zekrom disabled Pikachu's electric abilites but we have never heard anything of Zekrom or Pikachu's problem even after it was fixed.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
If I was Trip, I would've picked either Oshawott or Tepig, but that's just me. I knew Ash would lose even though Pikachu's much stronger even with loss of electricity. I loved that Delia and Professor Oak were in the episode and loved Professor Junpier too.