• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In which generation did you start playing Pokémon?

In which generation did you first get into Pokémon?

• Gen 1 (Kanto)

Votes: 98 54.7%
  • Gen 2 (Johto)

Votes: 30 16.8%
  • Gen 3 (Hoenn)

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • Gen 4 (Sinnoh)

Votes: 19 10.6%
  • Gen 5 (Unova)

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Gen 6 (Kalos)

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Gen 7 (Alola)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gen 8 (Galar)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Got into the franchise when I was like stupidly young but didn’t play a Pokémon game on my own until LeafGreen. DP then came out and I played Pearl to death while buying a copy of Sapphire. I got Platinum for Christmas and it remains my favorite Pokémon game tied with BW2 to date even though I lost it. ;__;

HGSS came and I hated those installments and BW1 reinvigorated my love for the franchise and at that point Gen IV and V were my favorite generations to date (not including HGSS) and they still are! Gen VI was OK but didn’t live up to the DS games imo and while I personally think Gen VII was a step in the right direction in some ways, they still pale in comparison to the aforementioned generations I mentioned imo.

I actually loved HG/SS. It's Johto, how can you not like it? ;)

Manchee

extra toasty
I actually loved HG/SS. It's Johto, how can you not like it? ;)

As I said before, Crystal was my first game, but I never felt the love for it that I felt for other regions/games. Something about it never felt as good as the others in terms of story, Pokémon, or features. I think it has to do with it being more of a sequel than a total new installment (which I'm sure some people will disagree with me on). Looking at it now, I really appreciate it and actually downloaded Crystal for the 3DS recently so I can play through it again.

In terms of the remake, I've never really enjoyed it much because it uses the mechanics and has the style of Gen IV, which is so unplayable to me at this point. BW injected the series with a total new vigor, in my opinion, that was lacking throughout HGSS. I think that if Johto was remade again to match the newest style and received all of the new Pokémon that have come out since then, a lot of people would like it a lot more.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
As I said before, Crystal was my first game, but I never felt the love for it that I felt for other regions/games. Something about it never felt as good as the others in terms of story, Pokémon, or features. I think it has to do with it being more of a sequel than a total new installment (which I'm sure some people will disagree with me on). Looking at it now, I really appreciate it and actually downloaded Crystal for the 3DS recently so I can play through it again.

In terms of the remake, I've never really enjoyed it much because it uses the mechanics and has the style of Gen IV, which is so unplayable to me at this point. BW injected the series with a total new vigor, in my opinion, that was lacking throughout HGSS. I think that if Johto was remade again to match the newest style and received all of the new Pokémon that have come out since then, a lot of people would like it a lot more.

Since LGPE are Kanto re-remakes, there's hope for Johto re-remakes someday. And on the Switch. :D

Silent_Jay

My first generation was Gen 1 with Pokemon Red Version on the GameBoy Colour, a few months after its original release in the UK back in 1999. I chose Charmander as my very first starting Pokemon. My little brother got Blue Version and chose Squirtle.

ARG0

Pokemon Researcher
I started with Gen 1, Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow at 3 years old. Charmander and Pikachu served me well. In hindsight though, I liked Yellow the most because you could get everyone. Honestly liked all of the starters equally.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I started with Gen 1, Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow at 3 years old. Charmander and Pikachu served me well. In hindsight though, I liked Yellow the most because you could get everyone. Honestly liked all of the starters equally.

I technically started with Yellow, but I played Silver more. So... I'm a Gen 1-er who started in Gen 2? :D

My first generation was Gen 1 with Pokemon Red Version on the GameBoy Colour, a few months after its original release in the UK back in 1999. I chose Charmander as my very first starting Pokemon. My little brother got Blue Version and chose Squirtle.

My sister would usually get the opposite version of whatever game I got, so she would play Gold and I would play Silver. Same with Gen 3 - I went with Ruby, she went with Sapphire.

It seems we in England got the Gen 1 games really late, like three years after Japan and America. By that time, Gen 2 was coming out, and the Pokémon craze was sort of cooling down. o_O

Last edited:

Silent_Jay

I technically started with Yellow, but I played Silver more. So... I'm a Gen 1-er who started in Gen 2? :D

My sister would usually get the opposite version of whatever game I got, so she would play Gold and I would play Silver. Same with Gen 3 - I went with Ruby, she went with Sapphire.

It seems we in England got the Gen 1 games really late, like three years after Japan and America. By that time, Gen 2 was coming out, and the Pokémon craze was sort of cooling down. o_O
Haha yeah I got Silver too, whilst he had Gold. Then I had Sapphire and he had Ruby. I was the only one who got Crystal and Emerald though.

Yeah I think it cooled down after Gold and Silver. The games were popular but I do remember the TCG becoming less so. Guess it was the beginning of 'the new Pokemon are crap compared to the originals' thing. By the time Ruby and Sapphire were a thing most of my friends fell off completely and new 'crazes' were in.

Archedra

Fossil Pokemon Trainer
I started in Jhoto, with my first game being SoulSilver...Yes! I started with a remake!
But dang, was it awesome.
I still prefer Unova, though, mainly since that was the next game that came out, and I went through the whole "Pokemon Game Hype" process for the very first time.

I started in gen 3 but pretty sure I watched the gen 1 anime before that when I was really young.
I quickly became addicted to Ruby and beat the league countless times to get as many Pokemon as possible to level 100.

One of my favourite childhood memories was getting fire red for christmas and me and my brother playing it for what felt like ages on Christmas day while waiting for my Christmas dinner to eventually arrive at a local pub.

During the wait both me and my brother got lost in rock tunnel without flash. I managed to get through the pitch black somehow, while my brother was stuck in the cave for days until by Dad helped him though haha

Xionea

Half a centaur
I started with gen 3. I would always play my cousin's Ruby version when I was at his house cause I didn't have a Gameboy of any kind at the time. Then one day I was going to visit my dad on the other side of the country and I had to go on the plane myself (they have assistance for kids who need to go on planes without a parent or guardian). My mom bought me my very own GBA SP, which I still own to this day, along with my own copy of Ruby and a couple other games to beat the boredom of a long flight. Needless to say that Ruby ended up being the game I easily sunk the most hours into and officially started me on my love for Pokemon.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
During the wait both me and my brother got lost in rock tunnel without flash. I managed to get through the pitch black somehow, while my brother was stuck in the cave for days until by Dad helped him though haha

That reminds me of something I did when I was younger, but in Silver. I went into a cave (I think it was Mt. Mortar) without Flash, and I got so lost I had to restart from my last save point. :p

That reminds me of something I did when I was younger, but in Silver. I went into a cave (I think it was Mt. Mortar) without Flash, and I got so lost I had to restart from my last save point. :p

I never liked to restart from my last save because it weakens the immersion but sometimes it is the best option. Otherwise you can be moving around in the dark continuously going the wrong way with zubats and geodudes at every turn :p

Nodqfan

I started with Gen 1 with Blue version, then after that took an unintended break from the franchise before returning with Gen 4 when I got Soulsilver for Christmas in 2010.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I never liked to restart from my last save because it weakens the immersion but sometimes it is the best option. Otherwise you can be moving around in the dark continuously going the wrong way with zubats and geodudes at every turn :p

Or in Unova, Woobats and Roggenrolas.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
True but at least they're not in nearly every single game :p Was flash even in Unova haven't played gen 5 in a while?

I think it was, but it's no longer a HM. Neither was Rock Smash.