1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

In which generation did you start playing Pokémon?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by NovaBrunswick, Mar 2, 2018.

?

In which generation did you first get into Pokémon?

1. Gen 1 (Kanto)

96 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. Gen 2 (Johto)

29 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Gen 3 (Hoenn)

26 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Gen 4 (Sinnoh)

19 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. Gen 5 (Unova)

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. Gen 6 (Kalos)

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Gen 7 (Alola)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Gen 8 (Galar)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

In the newer gens, they at least dim the inside a little, but don't totally darken it, so Flash isn't really needed. If you use Flash in Gen 6, it just zooms out so you can see more of the cave. I don't remember any time in the Gen 7 games that Flash was needed, if at all.

2. Ducolamia

Ducolamia SAYYYY WHAT???

Gen 3! I started with Sapphire and played through Emerald later. I also went back and played gen 2 because they were accessible at the time. After gen 4 I was hooked.

Jerimiyah and NovaBrunswick like this.
  3. Zafie

Zafie A Longtime Fan

I started my Pokémon journey with good ol' generation 1. Since then I've always been a fan :)

4. KnownParadox

KnownParadox New Member

Started in gen 3 in Pokemon Ruby, it was nice and I didn’t really know what to expect.

Nice game to start with.

5. keepitsimple

keepitsimple anybody want cake?

I had pokemon toys and merch during Gen I, didn't start playing the games and watching the show until much later. Likely around the end of Gen II

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  6. Minuy600

Minuy600 Eon Fan

Got FireRed when Gen 4 had already begun (2008), since I didn't have a DS at the time. Got LeafGreen and Pearl after that and the latter was my first completed Pokémon game. Strangely never ever finished off FRLG, so the Sevii Islands are still completely fresh to me.

7. NovaBrunswick

Ruby was the first Pokémon game I played to the end (although my cousin actually finished it for me). I never finished Silver due to my difficulty getting through the Ice Cave, and in Yellow we only ever got up to the sixth Gym.

8. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

Admittedly, I didn't complete those games myself when I first got them since I lost LeafGreen for months, and I got bored with FireRed after the League.

Jerimiyah likes this.
  9. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member

I started with the first Gen but I love aspects of all the gens.

10. Gabriel Faria

Gabriel Faria Shall we dance?

I started playing during 4th gen, but actually my first game was Silver. I remember my best friend having FireRed and Diamond and me playing with him, but I only owned a Game Boy Color at that time and could only play 2nd gen games at best, so I bought an used version of Silver I found in a store. It was very odd because it was actually a french version, but ended up playing it a lot regardless and helped learn a little bit of french (I even remember playing with a dictionary besides me xD).

11. Coolio35

Coolio35 Active Member

When i was young started with pokemon gold and my starter pokemon was Totodile. Gosh, was 8 years old and now i'm 25 and january 2019 i will be 26 years old. I'm getting old.

12. wolf jani

wolf jani The vice-commander of Mimawarigumi

I started watching the anime in gen 3.
    But my first game was Diamond in 2008 which I bought 2 weeks before platinum's release. Because i was too impatient to wait. I was 7 back then and I will turn 18 next year.

13. Yureishi

Yureishi Well-Known Member

I started with Generation II (Pokémon Silver) around 2001. Still to this day, I have these deep memories about me using Meganium and Miltank throughout the whole game.

14. NovaBrunswick

Ironically, I used a Meganium in SoulSilver twelve years later. :D

Yureishi likes this.
  15. Platina2000

Platina2000 Well-Known Member

I watched and got into Pokemon with Gen 1, but I got into the games as a whole with Gen 2; Silver being my first game. I've beaten it a long time ago (sadly my cartridge's save file is now dead due to the 15-year battery lifespan). My older brother use to own and play the R/B/Y games, but I can't get into them, even with the VC versions. I don't know why.

16. NovaBrunswick

Maybe because we’ve come so far since then, graphics and gameplay-wise?

17. Ignition

Ignition My son finally did it

I started playing in gen 4 with Diamond but was interested in the anime since gen 3

18. NovaBrunswick

I played the Sinnoh games really late. I skipped them when they first came out, so I didn’t get to play Sinnoh until 2015, with Platinum.

19. Ignition

Ignition My son finally did it

That was me with Emerald. I had a GameBoy Advance but, for some reason, I never picked the Hoenn games up

20. Platina2000

Platina2000 Well-Known Member

Nah, I'm one of those people who believe 'better graphics doesn't mean a better game'. Gameplay, maybe, but I don't know. And The Sinnoh gen, sadly, is the one gen I don't care for. The slow gameplay ruined that for me, I guess.

Jerimiyah likes this.