• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In which generation did you start playing Pokémon?

In which generation did you first get into Pokémon?

• Gen 1 (Kanto)

Votes: 98 54.7%
  • Gen 2 (Johto)

Votes: 30 16.8%
  • Gen 3 (Hoenn)

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • Gen 4 (Sinnoh)

Votes: 19 10.6%
  • Gen 5 (Unova)

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Gen 6 (Kalos)

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Gen 7 (Alola)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gen 8 (Galar)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Nah, I'm one of those people who believe 'better graphics doesn't mean a better game'. Gameplay, maybe, but I don't know. And The Sinnoh gen, sadly, is the one gen I don't care for. The slow gameplay ruined that for me, I guess.

Platinum kind of feels laggy for me when I play it, especially in Hearthome City. I think it’s because the DS processors get tested to their limits there, because of the more detailed graphics like in the church. I also believe that graphics aren’t everything in a game.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I got into the franchise in Generation 2, but starting playing in Generation 3. This might be why I never cared much for Johto Pokemon

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I got into the franchise in Generation 2, but starting playing in Generation 3. This might be why I never cared much for Johto Pokemon

Did you play Ruby or Sapphire? I played the former.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I've been here since gen 1, my dude. My first game was Blue but I was a moron and couldn't read so I somehow managed to get my illiterate butt through Kanto AND Johto before I could read properly in gen 3.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I've been here since gen 1, my dude. My first game was Blue but I was a moron and couldn't read so I somehow managed to get my illiterate butt through Kanto AND Johto before I could read properly in gen 3.

What stupid things did you do in Blue?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Generation 3, my first Pokemon game was Emerald. However, I bought my own Pokemon game for the first time during generation 4, that was Diamond. But at the time I first got into Pokemon, which was in 2007 (early March, to be exact) Generation 4 wasn't out in the US yet, so yeah.

Btw, I still remember the first D/P commercials from 2007. Those were neat.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
First Pokemon game was Pokemon Stadium of Gen 1
First Main series Pokemon game was Pokemon Crystal Version.

Don't know about you but I got my Pokemon game during the Pokemon Craze... and my first main series Pokemon game before the Pokemon craze. :)

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
I started when I was young, Yellow being my first game, I would finish (which took forever) after using a Pikachu/Pidgey combo to best Brock, and walking Rock Tunnel blind, among other things

Couldn’t finish Silver when it initially released, without outside help (Morty’s Gym, specifically).

I didn’t really get into the games until Gen 3. More people were playing around me, I could better comprehend the mechanics of the game; double battles, need I say more.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Btw, I still remember the first D/P commercials from 2007. Those were neat.

Remember the FireRed/LeafGreen commercials that had little kids reciting Team Rocket’s motto from the anime? “Team Rocket blasts off at the speed of light, surrender now or prepare to fight!” :D

Or that really weird one that had kids on a school bus being haunted by Pokémon? o_O

Couldn’t finish Silver when it initially released, without outside help (Morty’s Gym, specifically).

I struggled a lot with Morty too, even in the remakes. I actually beat him in SS using my Pidgeot, and did the same thing with Clair. XD

I started when I was young, Yellow being my first game, I would finish (which took forever) after using a Pikachu/Pidgey combo to best Brock, and walking Rock Tunnel blind, among other things

Yellow was actually technically my first Pokémon game, but I got Silver around the same time. So both Yellow and Silver were my first games. :)

I also did a lot of stupid things to defeat Brock with just Pikachu. I actually traded some ‘mons back from Silver just to beat him. XD

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
I struggled a lot with Morty too, even in the remakes. I actually beat him in SS using my Pidgeot, and did the same thing with Clair. XD

Lol. I beat him a couple days ago with my almighty Togetic. I struggled with his gym’s “puzzle” in the original. Always falling off after I beat the first trainer, never making it to the second.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Lol. I beat him a couple days ago with my almighty Togetic. I struggled with his gym’s “puzzle” in the original. Always falling off after I beat the first trainer, never making it to the second.

I thought the game was programmed so you couldn’t fall off the invisible paths. Was this in the VC Silver or in SoulSilver?

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
I thought the game was programmed so you couldn’t fall off the invisible paths. Was this in the VC Silver or in SoulSilver?

That may be true for the VC but in the original that was released back in 2000, as stated, you very well did fall off and start at the beginning if you travel down the wrong path.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Gen 2, with Crystal being my first Pokemon game and I loved it. Also loved the remakes.
I was Gen II with Gold. Johto remains my favorite region and contains both my favorite Pokémon (hint: you don't need a hint) and favorite Legendary (Ho-oH).

PineapplePizza

If non-main series games count I guess technically generation 1 because I had Pokemon Stadium for Nintendo 64 and The Pokemon Trading Card Game for GBC before I got any of the main series games.

If we're counting strictly main series then gen 2 with Pokemon Gold

Saberu

My first game was LeafGreen. I'm usually left out of conversations about nostalgia. Yes, Kanto is nostalgic, but no I do not remember catching Moltres on victory road.

PineapplePizza

My first video game was Gold, but the curious thing about the Gen 1 craze was that the video games played comparatively little part in it - it was much more driven by the show and especially the cards. My bedroom drawers are still covered with stickers from 1999.

QFT.

It really was the anime and the trading cards (remember the Burger King events to promote the movie?) that kept the hype machine going.

Gold/Silver was the first time I remembered caring more about the games than what the cartoon was doing. Of course when I saw Pokemon Gold had the mysterious unknown mythical unidentified Pokemon Ash saw in the very first episode I knew I HAD to get that game