• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In your area what do you call your food?

Nightblind249

@Vernikova - Succotash is lima beans mixed with corn cooked in butter, or at least the way we do it.
@ Kiruria -Zucchini we call sq-arsh (say the sq like squirrel and then say arsh like harsh at the same time is how you pronoun it) in my family for some odd reason squash some folks call it
@grey wing -I'm not sure how anyone can stomach scrapple; because to me its like a hot dog mixed with sausage meat with a dash of insert random organs. But all the power to you if you can eat it; I do know a lot of people who it scapple with their breakfeast. Its just not for me..

On a funny note I'm surprised more people haven't eating a fluffernutter (Marshmellow fluff and peanut butter on bread. Make it like you would a PPJ) as a kid :( I love those things, also peanut butter and honey make a good pair also.

From Canada here, not much on different names as we usually go for brand names and call it that, as for recipes poutine, heart stopping poutine, nuff said.

We do something like that with sloppy joe and tater tots. Just throw the tots on the plate first then cover with the sloppy joe.

Last edited:

grey wing

Johto League Champ
the trick with scrapple is to put some ketchup on it :)
and fluffernutters are totally a thing here. when I was in gradeschool, that was the only thing a lot of people would eat for lunch everyday.

Ascended Dialga

Here in western New York:

- Submarine sandwiches are called subs
- White hot dogs are called white hots
- We use "soda" and "pop" interchangeably
- Lollipops are called suckers
- They're called sprinkles, not jimmies
- The garbage plate is a gut-busting specialty in the Rochester area. It includes your choice of meat (red or white hot dogs, hambuger, or Italian sausage), toppings, and a heaping helping of two sides (home fries, baked beans, macaroni salad), all thrown together on a styrofoam tray

Nightblind249

The garbage plate is a gut-busting specialty in the Rochester area. It includes your choice of meat (red or white hot dogs, hambuger, or Italian sausage), toppings, and a heaping helping of two sides (home fries, baked beans, macaroni salad), all thrown together on a styrofoam tray

That sounds like death in a plate, but I'd love to try it.

As for foods in our area, whoopie pies. Not to be confused with MOON PIES!!! Both are good to eat. The other thing that I catch myself saying ol'bay seasoning when it should be old bay.

grey wing

Johto League Champ

- Submarine sandwiches are called subs
- White hot dogs are called white hots
- We use "soda" and "pop" interchangeably
- Lollipops are called suckers
- They're called sprinkles, not jimmies
- The garbage plate is a gut-busting specialty in the Rochester area. It includes your choice of meat (red or white hot dogs, hambuger, or Italian sausage), toppings, and a heaping helping of two sides (home fries, baked beans, macaroni salad), all thrown together on a styrofoam tray

What is a white hot dog? Never heard of those

mia197

As I am Brazilian, and here we speak Portuguese, is nothing like the English language, but I'll translate:
Fluffernutter – Manteiga de amendoim e marshmallow (not very popular around here, since almost nobody eats peanut butter)
Pancakes - Panquecas
Soda – Refrigerante (usually we call the soda by name. For example, Coca-Cola is simply Coca)
Succotash - is a food that traditionally does not exist here, although we eat many beans and corn.
Jimmies – Confetes
Goulash – Carne cozida
Italian Ice – Sorvete italino
Streaky Bacon - Bacon
Potato chips – Batata assada
French fries – Batata frita
Molasses - Melado
Calamari – Lula frita
Poutine – Batata frita com queijo
Lollipop: Pirulito
White hot dogs: Cachorro quente

Klizcool

GARBAGE DAY?!?!
I live in western Massachussetts (vastly different speaking style than Eastern Mass/Boston) and to my knowledge we don't really have vastly unique food names.
Slurpees are Slushies
Submarine sandwiches are Subs
Soda Pop is Soda
Any Mexican food that has ground beef/any meat put in a tortilla shell is a Taco, especially if it's a home made taco.
Hot Dogs are Hot Dogs
Sausage is Sausage unless we're having some Bangers and Mash oi, God save tha Queen mate?
Mashed Potatoes are Mashed potatoes
We do cook Home fries, which are essiantly a breakfast version French fries. Theyre usually cooked differently. Recipes vary from person to person.
Pancakes are still pancakes.
I some times call Lobster "Lobstah" when I want to make fun of the fact that I live in Massachussetts. I do have a tendency to pronounce Egg Nog "Egg Knock" as well.
That's kinda it.

TheGuy131

Revolutionary
I originate from Indiana, yet I don't really call soda "pop". I just call it soda, or by it's name. Mainly because I just drink root beer. I call hot dogs, hot dogs. I call hotcakes pancakes, and I refer to slushies as "brain rape".

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Looking back in my Filipino language, we call the word food "Pagkain."
Speaking of food translated to Tagalog:
Coconut - Buko
Bread - Tinapay
Apple - Mansanas
Milk Fish - Bangus
Chicken - Manok
Pig - Baboy
Tomatoes - Kamatis

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Kinda boring stuff really..
Bread: Brød
Fish: Fisk
Milk: Melk
Cucumber: Agurk
Garlic: Hvitløk
Leek: Løk
Soda: Brus

Not huge differences, but some of them words are kinda funny taken out of context.

TamagoSan

The only main one I can think of for Suffolk in England is that we occasionally call bacon sandwiches bacon butties. Oh, and everything fizzy is called coke, no matter what it is.

Last edited: