• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

In your opinion will Cheren appear in the anime as a rival?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I personally think that the writers intended on having Trip be Cheren's replacement.

Ash, Trip, and Bianca complete the "trio" from the games in which they all received their starter from Juniper. (Bianca getting Tepig from her is speculation but it makes sense.)

Ash- Oshawott, Trip- Snivy, Bianca- Tepig.

Also just like Cheren, Trip admires Alder and yearns to battle him. They both want to become stronger via the textbook way.

Also there seems to be a lot of rivals now, with Trip, Bianca, Burgundy, Langley, Kenyan, and possibly Luke.

But I want to see what you guys think.

JD

I really don't think he'll appear in the anime Trip reminds me a lot of him and if he appears he'll probably be more of Bianca's rival then Ash's

Vipsoccermaster

I hope he appears at least once, but it might not happen. Cheren so far is exclusive to the games, and Trip is exclusive to the anime.

Grei

not the color
I think the only time we'll see Cheren will be in the movie cameos that show player characters battling. Hilbert and Cheren vs. Hilary Hilda and... N.

Yeah.

Although it's odd to see Bianca in the anime without Cheren. If Cheren appears later, I hope he has either Snivy as a Starter or none of Unova's Starter Pokemon.

Waterpokes

Don't need him in the anime, even though in the beginning, and especially when Bianca got introduced, I wondered why they didn't just make Cheren his main rival instead of making a brand new one in Trip.

If Cheren does appear, then that's good I guess.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I hope not. I never liked Cheren in the games. He is too much like a Conway clone.

Despite the fact that they have very different personalities.

Venomfang

Perky Goth
Cheren is pretty unessesary. We already have Trip.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
I don't understand why Cheren couldn't be used instead of Trip. Cheren could have easily think Ash is from a hick town, display the same attitude as Trip. I also pictured Cheren with Serperior, Bianca with Emboar, & Ash with Samurott. Plus if Cheren was used instead, there wouldn't be anyone saying that he would be a Paul clone. But whatever, the writers like to make things harder on themselves but I would still like to see Cheren appear, as a rival? Not too sure for Ash, but hopefully he doesn't have a starter.... more specifically, Samurott.

I don't really want to see Cheren in the anime. Bianca is scary enough.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I don't understand why Cheren couldn't be used instead of Trip. Cheren could have easily think Ash is from a hick town, display the same attitude as Trip. I also pictured Cheren with Serperior, Bianca with Emboar, & Ash with Samurott. Plus if Cheren was used instead, there wouldn't be anyone saying that he would be a Paul clone. But whatever, the writers like to make things harder on themselves but I would still like to see Cheren appear, as a rival? Not too sure for Ash, but hopefully he doesn't have a starter.... more specifically, Samurott.

Probably because they didn't want two game rivals. With anime-exclusive rivals they have creative freedom to give them the development they want, but on game characters have kinda have a guideline or else people will complain they are not similar.

Cezar

i honestly think Trip isn't replacing Cheren, and that he haves big chances to appear in the anime.idk if as 1-ep-char or something most important... but let's think. in DP Ash has Paul as main rival... but after some eps (arround 100? ) Barry appears as a "second rival", actually, wanting to be Paul's rival cuz he thinks Ash is weak. both go to PokeLeague, and Nando too. basically... ithink cheren should appear and have interest in Trip (battles, i mean) cuz both have same objectives. but not for now... in a long-future ep. everybody can go to pokeleague... too...

and about Bianca, Trip and Ash have the "starters"... well, a lot of characters have starters too, likes the Electabuzz fangirl with chikorita in Jotho... and ash have the 3 starters, even gettin just one from the Professor. dont forget, too, the possibility from Snivy originally belongs to Cheren... she can usa attract, this means that she already had a trainer.

ShadowKyogre443

오션 마스터
It makes perfect sense for Cheren to be Ash's rival. Cheren has exhibited many similar qualities of Ash's previous rivals. (ex. cockiness, need to beat Ash, etc...)

waffle_x_v

Fun stuff
Probably because they didn't want two game rivals. With anime-exclusive rivals they have creative freedom to give them the development they want, but on game characters have kinda have a guideline or else people will complain they are not similar.

Since when have the writers gave a rat's *** about what people think?
Fans have complained before but they just don't care.
I just think it's because cheren is boring. They can also work better with trip.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Only if he's Bianca's rival. I would love for Cheren and Bianca to be enemies in the anime and possibly a childhood bully from Bianca's past. I don't care if he has a starter or not, really I don't. Hopefully Bianca takes him down in the league and he acknowledges her as a strong trainer instead of a brainless ditz. I would love that kind of story for Bianca. If he isn't Bianca's rival I couldn't care less if he appears or not. I'm not interested in a rivalry with him against Ash. He'll just loose at the league or sooner and it will be generic.

Status
Not open for further replies.