• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Inanimate Pokemon

Wait, Regirock, Regice and Registeel are on the list, Regigigas is not, any explanation?

+ Ditto is missing. (and imo, heatran doesn't belong on the list)

EDIT: Swirlix/Slurpuff, the dog-thing is not a argument. Because then there is excuses for every pokémon on the list, grimer/muk can slugs etc

Last edited:

Tonguetyd

Wait, Regirock, Regice and Registeel are on the list, Regigigas is not, any explanation?

+ Ditto is missing. (and imo, heatran doesn't belong on the list)

EDIT: Swirlix/Slurpuff, the dog-thing is not a argument. Because then there is excuses for every pokémon on the list, grimer/muk can slugs etc

Regigigas and Ditto are added.
Swirlix is partly based on dogs, Grimer is not based on slugs.

Regigigas and Ditto are added.
Swirlix is partly based on dogs, Grimer is not based on slugs.

You know... Bulbapedia's "Orgin" section isn't a reliable source...

EDIT: I am sure all the pokémons has some animal influence btw

EDIT2: Btw, a very nice/fun thread, good job. :)

Last edited:

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
Why isn't Carbink on the list? Carbuncle was a name of stone way before it was a creature and most "artists" depcit the Carbuncle creature as Espeon-looking.

It's definitely more stone than creature...

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
A lot of Pokemon are technically based on inanimate objects but are just given animalistic characteristics to give them life. But one can also say the opposite -- they are originally based on animals but are given qualities of inanimate objects. Both sides can argue but they will never come to a conclusion.

So I think these Pokemon (such as Swirlix, Onix, Diglett?) should be part of the list, but sub-categorized.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
I see that you're not above the gender clause with inanimate Pokémon. In that case, Goomy is clearly a snot ball. (It is NOT a slug!) Maybe an amputated cow utter stuck on the ground, upside down, but it's still a bag of snot.

Also, Spiritomb failed to make the list. It's just as much inanimate as Ghastly and Koffing, and it even has a rock as part of it's body.

Tonguetyd

I see that you're not above the gender clause with inanimate Pokémon. In that case, Goomy is clearly a snot ball. (It is NOT a slug!) Maybe an amputated cow utter stuck on the ground, upside down, but it's still a bag of snot.

Also, Spiritomb failed to make the list. It's just as much inanimate as Ghastly and Koffing, and it even has a rock as part of it's body.

Goomy is added.
Spiritomb is 108 spirits, which aren't on the list because they are things that used to live.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Regarding spiritomb, it kind of looks like a crystal ball, which sounds kind of inanimate to me. I'd think of it as at least as "animate" as cofagrigus; cofagrigus obviously has a spirit inside its sarcophagus just as spiritomb is a spirit inside a rock.

Also, I do wonder about gulpin's presence here. It and swalot appear to be meant to resemble disembodied stomachs, but isn't a stomach part of an organic, animate body? If gulpin counts, why shouldn't cherrim count, being a disembodied part of a whole tree? A cherry tree blossom can't live on its own any more than a stomach can, so should cherrim be regarded as "inanimate"? And what about cottonee? A cotton swab can't live on its own any more than a stomach either.

And what about solosis? It's definitely as much a disembodied part of an entire body as gulpin is (unless you consider it being based on an amoeba, though solosis looks rounder than most depictions of one.

I'm also wondering if reuniclus should count. Apparently it bears some resemblance to a homunculus, which is apparently artificial. Does its also resembling a cell override that like in darumaka's case?

In any case, I do think carbink should count, it definitely looks like a piece of coal/diamond.

And as for my opinion, there are definitely a few pokémon resembling inanimate objects I do like. Even some of the more unpopular ones I'm rather fond of. I actually like garbodor's design more than muk's, muk looks kind of plain in comparison. And vanillite's definitely grown on me as kind of a joke pokémon.

Tonguetyd

Regarding spiritomb, it kind of looks like a crystal ball, which sounds kind of inanimate to me.

Consider this:
"Our name is...SPIRITOMB. We are the manifestation of a FUSION of spirits... One hundred and EIGHT of them!"
That's what he says in Mystery Dungeon 2/3.

And what about solosis? It's definitely as much a disembodied part of an entire body as gulpin is (unless you consider it being based on an amoeba, though solosis looks rounder than most depictions of one.

I'm also wondering if reuniclus should count. Apparently it bears some resemblance to a homunculus, which is apparently artificial.

Reuniclus line is added.

A cotton swab can't live on its own any more than a stomach either.

Cottonee's actually supposed to be some kind of mythical plant-sheep.

Inanimate Pokémon are my favorites :p

But some problems with the lists:
Solosis-Line are based off of a cell undergoing mitosis. Cells are most definitely organic
Gulpin and Swalot are stomachs, and stomach are a vital oran that exsist's in a majority of multi-cellular animals
Shedinja is a bug's carcass possessed by a spirirt
Goomy is based off of Snail slime, a byproduct of snails, making them kind of organic
Wobbuffet is based off of this guy
Ditto is based of an amoeba with a smiley face

As for what should be added:
Darumaka and Darmanitan is based off of a Daruma doll
Carbink and Diancie are based off of Carbuncle gems

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Actually darumaka and wobbuffet are probably equally animate/inanimate. Each is based on something inanimate (darumaka the daruma doll, wobbuffet those punching bags which are almost impossible to knock over) and something animate (darumaka or at least darmanitan orangutans, wobbuffet Hayashiya Sanpei). The munna line would probably fall under a similar category, as apparently they're designed after koro, Japanese incense burners.

Though I guess if munna counts, one could argue meowth also does because it's modelled after those cat sculptures you see in stores. The distinction can be kind of confusing.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Goomy is added.
Spiritomb is 108 spirits, which aren't on the list because they are things that used to live.

We're spiltting hairs here, friend. If Banette makes the list because it used to be a doll that's now possessed by a grudge, Spiritomb has more than enough reason to be added to this. 108 Forbidden Reasons... (◟ᅇ)◜

Tonguetyd

We're spiltting hairs here, friend. If Banette makes the list because it used to be a doll that's now possessed by a grudge, Spiritomb has more than enough reason to be added to this. 108 Forbidden Reasons... (◟ᅇ)◜

But the thing is that Banette is a doll. Dolls were never alive. Spirits were alive.

Inanimate Pokémon are my favorites :p

But some problems with the lists:
Solosis-Line are based off of a cell undergoing mitosis. Cells are most definitely organic
Gulpin and Swalot are stomachs, and stomach are a vital oran that exsist's in a majority of multi-cellular animals
Goomy is based off of Snail slime, a byproduct of snails, making them kind of organic
Wobbuffet is based off of this guy
Ditto is based of an amoeba with a smiley face

I agree with the Solosis-line and Goomy, but the others not. A stomach is not a living thing at its own, carcasses(?) was a living thing, Wobbuffet is based on a punching bag. (Btw, if Wobbuffet is staying, why is Wynaut lacking from the list?)

Tonguetyd

I agree with the Solosis-line and Goomy, but the others not. A stomach is not a living thing at its own, carcasses(?) was a living thing, Wobbuffet is based on a punching bag. (Btw, if Wobbuffet is staying, why is Wynaut lacking from the list?)

Wynaut is added because Wynaut?
Goomy is removed.

The ones on the top should be removed, forgot to clarify

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Last edited:

Tonguetyd

Shedinja is a shell, which is not alive, Darumaka and Darmanitan also have simian elements, the Carbuncle is also a creature.