• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kindoflame

I am a new writer here and have a really great story to post. To be completely honestly, I think I have a shot at the Best New Writer Award as long as I post regularly. This is mostly because are only 5 new writers who have recently posted, so competition is light. Anyway, this is a goal I have set for myself and I want to work towards. However, there is something that could either improve my chances or absolutely tank them.

I have decided to take up art as a new hobby. For inspiration, I usually draw illustrations of scenes from my story. Including them would make me stand out and impress readers. The problem is that I have just started, meaning that my illustrations are really bad. Right now you are probably thinking something like, 'Oh how cute, the little guy is self-conscious about his art.' That is not what this is. Objectively, I am one of the worse artists willing to share their monstrosities with other. I literally forgot that knees and elbows were things that existed in one drawing.

Eventually, my pictures will not be so hideous they break mirrors. Practice make perfect, after all. Once I get decent then I will obviously start including the illustrations in my posts. I am unsure of what to do until then. Does anyone have any advice?

P.S. A friend made my profile picture and in no way represents my abilities.

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
With regards to posting your own illustrations, you should definitely do it. We've got several authors who are also artists and post pieces to accompany their fics. Yes, some of them have been at it quite a while. But I've seen multiple instances of artists like canisaries and Chibi Pika giving pointers to people who ask them for it. And the only way you're going to improve is to get feedback on your work and suggestions. You'd have to check with the mods to see whether you're better off making a separate topic for your art in the Fan Art forum, though. It's a bit of a gray area, if I'm not mistaken. Personally, I have a tremor disorder, so I've gotten commissions and the like for my characters, since I know I can't draw them.

Of course, to get feedback, that means you have to be willing to engage with folks, which is why your opening paragraph caught me off-guard. You've made this topic, yeah, and there's nothing wrong with a competitive spirit... but I'd like to think that fan fiction is about getting to interact with people who share similar interests. In this case, coming together over a love of pokémon. If your primary objective in posting a fic here is to try and win one of the fic awards, then I'm not sure if you're going to get the most out of the forums. I'm not saying not to post your fic or anything, just that I find it a bit unusual you're introducing yourself by saying you want to win Best New Writer. Maybe it's the inferiority complex talking, but the best way I can think of to drum up interest in your fic is to go out and read/review other author's works. They may choose to reciprocate that kindness. :)

In any case, you should definitely post your art. Though, if you're looking for art feedback or advice, the Fan Art forum might be a better place.

Kindoflame

I have... emotional issues, and having a concrete goal to work towards is a very big help. I actually posted my story on FanFiction, but stopped updating because there was no endgame. Since there is now something for me to work towards, it will be easier for me to stay dedicated.

Just to be clear, I do not actually care if I win or lose the award. The point is more that I know that I gave an honest effort. When I first started writing this story I distinctly remember telling myself that I was doing this for me, not the audience. Even if every review was nothing but harsh criticism, insults, and trolls, I would still be happy with the story, because I really did put the effort in and I genuinely am proud of the result.

P.S. What are the mods' names? I am really new here.

Last edited:

NebulaDreams

A Dense Irritating Miniature Beast of Burden
To be perfectly honest (as someone who draws art for my fics and is okay-ish at it), I don't really think it makes much of a difference in regards to your chances. It can certainly give your fic more of an identity, and art in stuff like signature banners help, but the work is supposed to be judged on its writing merits and not whatever images come with it. If you want to include illustrations, then just do it, really.