• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
Hi guys! I've used serebii.net for years, but I have some issues with gen 9 evolutions and that prompted me to make a forum account.

Several pokemon seem to have bad evolution mechanics listed.

Bonsly - My Bonsly is level 28 and was retaught Mimic around level 20 from the Pokemon summary screen. When I caught it, it came with 4 stupid moves. It has leveled up several times day/night.

Leveling up while it knows Mimic is not evolving it.

I got some ice worm... Snom... from a raid the evolve condition is level up at night... it is not evolving either. Perhaps I'm looking at a wrong pokedex?

I got a poison mouse thing Shroodle thats supposed to evolve at level 28... into Grafaiai... it is also not evolving...

This is but a small sample of several pokes where I'm meeting the evolve conditions as they are listed here on Serebii and other places and nothing is happening. I don't have any items on any of my pokemon.

Last edited:

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Are you by chance attempting to level these Pokémon up via the Let’s Go mechanic? They will not evolve if you try to do so - you’ll need to engage in a manual battle and level them up during that for each. I believe using an item like a Rare Candy also works. Evolution methods like Bonsly’s have remained the same for quite some time now - the site definitely doesn’t have a bad method listed.

Are you by chance attempting to level these Pokémon up via the Let’s Go mechanic? They will not evolve if you try to do so - you’ll need to engage in a manual battle and level them up during that for each. I believe using an item like a Rare Candy also works. Evolution methods like Bonsly’s have remained the same for quite some time now - the site definitely doesn’t have a bad method listed.
That would seem like an oversight on the dev team if that is the case. A Level-up is a level-up it should be counted the same.

I have leveled several pokemon by the Let's Go mechanic and without issues they have evolved appropriately like Spewpa, LeChonk.

I mostly use the Let's Go Mechanic to grind and get near the regular level up then the actual level up has been a regular battle where I throw the ball to force the standard battle encounter.

When Magikarp hit 15 it also did not learn tackle for some reason.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
There is one other condition that needs to be met for Snom to evolve and that’s high friendship. A lot of people seem to not know that it is a friendship based evolution that is also time activated like Eevee into Umbreon.

There is one other condition that needs to be met for Snom to evolve and that’s high friendship. A lot of people seem to not know that it is a friendship based evolution that is also time activated like Eevee into Umbreon.
Ahh OK that is very helpful, the friendship requirement icon was not displaying for me previously on mobile browser. Now I can see the heart and moon to indicate that.

Zepht

One incorrectly listed evolution method is the one for tandemaus, if you level it up to 100 using candies it cannot evolve. This is because it doesn't actually evolve randomly over level 25, but it evolves over level 25 if it levels up specifically only from battle exp, this is listed correctly on bulbapedia. The fact the information on here was wrong unfortunately seems to have cost me my shiny marked tandemaus and I am trying to spread awareness so that it doent happen to others, but also so that maybe someone either finds a way to evolve it at level 100 or alternatively that nintendo adds a failsafe to the evolution in some way.

I have already tried level 100 rare candy, picnics, running around, doing the ace tournament, evolving other tandemice in my party.
Any info on this would be appreciated.

One incorrectly listed evolution method is the one for tandemaus, if you level it up to 100 using candies it cannot evolve. This is because it doesn't actually evolve randomly over level 25, but it evolves over level 25 if it levels up specifically only from battle exp, this is listed correctly on bulbapedia. The fact the information on here was wrong unfortunately seems to have cost me my shiny marked tandemaus and I am trying to spread awareness so that it doent happen to others, but also so that maybe someone either finds a way to evolve it at level 100 or alternatively that nintendo adds a failsafe to the evolution in some way.

I have already tried level 100 rare candy, picnics, running around, doing the ace tournament, evolving other tandemice in my party.
I'm sorry you have encountered this issue. I have not caught a Tandemaus yet. I have noticed as a whole, that Pokemon in general is doing more and more gimmicky and convoluted evolutions.
I'm fine with levels, friendship, stones, but as you go towards region specific forms which are the only ones that can evolve such as these Pokemon Legends: Arceus (Hisuian) forms, or like having to invert a 3ds to evolve inkay, or these new, have a pokemon walk with you in let's go mode it just seems to obscure and silly.

I did find out though after the fact, that many of my issues are indeed part of the Let's Go Mechanic.

Eventually the school classes will at some point give you the line "Using Let's Go Mode will prevent a Pokemon from evolving or learning new moves" That really should have been spelled out from the get go. The last thing I want to do in Pokemon is go sit in on boring lessons and get quizzed. At least some of these quizzes give you useful stuff.

I also don't like how RNG based some of these evolutions are, apart from the few times your guaranteed a stone you really just have to hope a random drop or the auction house puts the rare evolution stone up or a random trade has a stone attached that they forgot to take off.
Some items can be bought after getting enough gym badges but then you have it, so that one store stocks the item and the others don't. Iono's Gym town sells metal coats eventually, Zappopico has a guy that trades you for the armor to charcadet, Megazoa sells king's rock eventually. But yeah why can't all stores just stock it?

Kasumi_Goto

I made a thread about this on November 22nd. I had not expected 4 days into the game to be doing science with the game, but out of 36 Tandemaus, none of them evolved randomly, none of them evolved through candies, none of them evolved in the box and all of them, including the one I hatched and raised from level 1 going from level to level evolved until level 25 through battle. You could say that I'm the one who discovered the evolution method that is now on the Serebii site.

Last edited: