• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Incorrect Gym Leader Typing?

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
I realized something about the Kanto region gym leaders. At least, the first three. Okay, there's Brock who uses Rock types, then Misty, who uses water types, and then there's Lt. Surge, who uses electric types.
Nothing new, but think about this. Pewter City is in close proximity to the forest, while it's a longer trek to Mt. Moon. Cerulean is surrounded by more caves than Pewter City; Cerulean Cave, Rock Tunnel, and even Mt. Moon is closer to Cerulean than it is to Pewter. And Vermillion city is on a port! It's got a lot of water and ships coming and going.
So, I think that Brock's gym should have used bug types, Misty's gym should have used Rock types, and Surge's gym should have had water types.

I guess in the Manga it makes more sense about Surge, since Team Rocket set him up there.....but it doesn't in the anime.

Anyway, I don't know. It's just a thought. Have you guys ever thought about where the gym leaders get their Pokemon, and why they use a certain type?

725roy

ambivolent
yeah it seems wierd but most electric gym cities end up near some sort of water
Like you said in kanto
In hoenn its next to the one route that leades to the ocean
Sinnoh is also on the beach
Unova's a little tricky but if you think about it it's surrounded by water on both sides

BCVM22

If you were to break down the leaders of all 40 Gyms, you would find that the vast majority use a type that has nothing to do with the city's surroundings.

To call it "incorrect" is a misnomer, as that would imply that an a actual error was made somewhere.

M4zz

Banned
If you were to break down the leaders of all 40 Gyms, you would find that the vast majority use a type that has nothing to do with the city's surroundings.

This^^

The typing is usually for a reason anyways, like Rock being a type all three starters can eventually defeat.

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
No, it doesn't matter which gym is where. It's a discussion.
And no, that isn't true about the gym's locations. Well, it's probably true for many of them, but there are many that do.
Lemme see...
Cinnabar has a volcano.
Fortree is a tree city with bird Pokemon.
Celadon...well, the grass Pokemon are there because Erika was saved by Gloom, and also she uses them for her business. So at least that's explained.
Falkner has super easy access to birds where his gym is located.
Pryce's gym is located near an ice cave.
Roark's gym is right next to mines.

Need I go on?
And anyway, we can talk about ANY of the gyms that don't seem to make sense.

Last edited:

M4zz

Banned
No, it doesn't matter which gym is where. It's a discussion.
And no, that isn't true about the gym's locations.
Lemme see...
Cinnabar has a volcano.
Celadon...well, the grass Pokemon are there because Erika was saved by Gloom, and also she uses them for her business. So at least that's explained.

Need I go on?

I'd rather you didn't continue, but anyways...

Cinnabar is also surrounded by water. Water type. Your argument is invalid.

Fortree is engulfed with trees. Grass Type. Your argument is invalid.

Celadon is a city with grimer in the Water. Poison or another city-like type. Your argument is invalid.

Violet City also has loads of normal types surrounding it. Normal Type. Your argument is invalid.

Mahogany Town is near a forest and a lake. Water/Grass/Bug Type. Your argument is invalid.

Oreburgh City has a patch of grass containing Fighting types, and said types are expolited in those mines. Fighting Type. Your argument is still invalid.

Come back in a bit, and I'll invalidate your argument for you. Free of charge.

BCVM22

Cinnabar has a volcano.

Okay, there's one.

Nothing about Fortree City has ever mentioned bird Pokémon.

Celadon...well, the grass Pokemon are there because Erika was saved by Gloom, and also she uses them for her business.

Stemming solely from the anime. And maybe PokéSpecial, I forget.

There's nothing about Violet City that specifically indicates Flying-types, and if that's your reasoning - that Falkner has "easy access to birds" - then why isn't it acceptable that Brock can jog east on Route 3 and scour Mt. Moon for Rock-types? Or that Misty can take a quick trip to the numerous rivers and inlets within spitting distance of Cerulean City and find her Water-types there?

So are three total that support your point. Maybe a few more. What about the countless others that don't? What is it about Mossdeep City that implies anything about the Psychic-type? What is it about Petalburg City that says "Normal-types found here"? You get the idea.

Yes, when it's super-obvious, like a city covered in a snow or with an active volcano on the island, then there's some connection, but the majority of gyms still don't have any such influences and there is absolutely no error in the first three Gyms of Kanto being typed as they are

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
No, nothing about Fortree mentioned bird Pokemon...except that it is a TREE CITY and birds live in TREES.
At least, many of them do.
Yes, Cinnabar is surrounded by water, but it also has a volcano. It could be either or.
And at least you can catch fire Pokemon there. (But in a mansion?)
And yes, it is only explained why Erika uses grass types in the anime. It isn't explained in the manga, is it? So you're right...that typing makes no sense either.
Isn't Wattson's gym near a power plant?
And why does Violet City indicate Normal types? It's just as easy to catch a bird near there...

And..
BCVM22 said:
There's nothing about Violet City that specifically indicates Flying-types, and if that's your reasoning - that Falkner has "easy access to birds" - then why isn't it acceptable that Brock can jog east on Route 3 and scour Mt. Moon for Rock-types? Or that Misty can take a quick trip to the numerous rivers and inlets within spitting distance of Cerulean City and find her Water-types there?
It's just that Brock has easier access to bugs, and Misty has easier access to rocks.
And, Brock has an Onix, which is not found at Mt. Moon, it is found in Rock Tunnel, which is closer to Cerulean City.
And, Staryu and Starmie aren't found in those inlets, are they? I think you have to catch those near Seafoam Islands. Or not, I may remember that part wrong.

Last edited:

BCVM22

Again, you're trying to impose a restriction where none exists. We've just established that not every Gym uses a type that has anything to do with the city or its surroundings, and in fact many of the Gyms don't.

Furthermore, the first three Gym types in Kanto are lined up as such to serve as a difficulty level of choice. Choose Bulbasaur and you actually have a type advantage up to Lt. Surge's Gym. Choose Squirtle and you'll have an advantage over Brock, your first challenge. Choose Charmander and you'll actually be at a disadvantage in your first two Gym battles. Going Bug > Rock > Water wouldn't have worked quite as well in that regard.

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
I see how the mechanics work, but I just wonder where these gym leaders got their Pokemon in the first place.
If they wanted the first gym to be a rock gym, they should have made the area make sense. Or had the gym leader mention something about why they use a certain type. Well, I guess they did with Lt. Surge, but with most gym leaders, that's not the case. Is it? It doesn't have to be so over-the-top as to have the rock gym INSIDE A CAVE, but they should have something in the area indicating rocks. Like the mines in Roark's town. (although they did do that to Blaine's gym when it was destroyed. >_> )
I mean, at least TRY Nintendo!

Weakling

Fragile
I see how the mechanics work, but I just wonder where these gym leaders got their Pokemon in the first place.
If they wanted the first gym to be a rock gym, they should have made the area make sense. Or had the gym leader mention something about why they use a certain type. Well, I guess they did with Lt. Surge, but with most gym leaders, that's not the case. Is it? It didn't have to be so over-the-top as to have the rock gym INSIDE A CAVE (although they did do that to Blaine's gym when it was destroyed. >_> )
I mean, at least TRY Nintendo!

Despite the fact that the player has the chance to explore the whole region, you seem unable to grasp the concept that the leader probably wasn't born a gym leader and more than likely did not sit in the gym for his/her whole life. I see it more of them settling down in the area.

Besides, how boring would it be if you just got through a large forest, battling 50 bugs along the way, only to find that the next gym is once again littered with the creatures? The leaders are supposed to be somewhat different and a challenge, not just a random trainer who picked up a few local Pokemon and decided they were good enough to be used as a gym leader's.

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
Well, the bug thing kinda happens in reverse order in Bugsy's case.
And I have thought of the fact that gym leaders may have traveled, but I wish it was shown more in the games.
They do a better job of it in the later Gens, I admit. At least the gym leaders actually leave their gyms to give you rematches and things like that.
And Jasmine is in the Sinnoh region...for no reason except to give you Waterfall? What's her story?

Last edited:

Weakling

Fragile
Well, the bug thing kinda happens in reverse order in Bugsy's case.
And I have thought of the fact that gym leaders may have traveled, but I wish it was shown more in the games.
They do a better job of it in the later Gens, I admit. At least the gym leaders actually leave their gyms to give you rematches and things like that.

Which can be considered even worse. You've just battled a strong trainer who specializes in a type and now you battle a horde of weaker ones. Great.
There you have it. They've improved the gym leaders' importance and made them more part of the story. They don't just sit there and catch Pokemon anyone in the area can get and declare themselves the strongest trainer in town, do they?

tomthepom

Did anyone stop the think it might be because they can? Or even because they like that type of Pokemon...?

Larry

Mabey they choose the type from where they grew up/live. Lorlei even though she's not a gym leader.

M4zz

Banned
And Jasmine is in the Sinnoh region...for no reason except to give you Waterfall? What's her story?

It's a cameo. Like Stephen in HGSS.

I find that with whichever argument you pose, you contratict it within your next post. So what is your case? And why does it matter if a Pokemon is found in a different region? It's a fricken game. No explanations should be needed.

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
Okay, listen you. It's called FUN. Some people here seem to think that all arguments should be hard, and they seem to be obsessed with being right all the time.
I contradict myself when I admit that I'm wrong. It's because I'm not filled with foolish pride.
It doesn't REALLY matter at all; I just like to talk about it. Some of you take yourselves entirely too seriously. It seems as if every time some of you post, you want it to sound as if it could have been used in a dusty old textbook. I am ALL FOR good grammar, but my GOD, loosen up! If you disagree with me, fine. You don't have to get so snarky about it, though. I actually like to think about things in my game. Just because it's fiction, that means I'm not entitled to wonder about it? It's not as if I'm going to trash the games because I don't think they make sense.

Last edited: