• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Intense Electric Shock Training! A Rematch with Tapu Koko!! (962)

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Didn't Pikachu break the fence? I don't think Tapu Koko intended to send it off the cliff.

It would be a curbstomp if it wasn't implied that the battle was going on for at least a few minutes beforehand. Being even and then winning with a super move does not a curbstomp make.

Oh, okay, I can't really tell when themes are playing in the background so i had no idea the XY Trainer theme was playing in the background. It was still a total Shout-Out to Nebby though. Perhaps Pikachu falling off cliffs will happen every sags now.

I agree with you on all these fronts. It definitely was NOT a callback to Xy even with the music, it just works for both scenes since they're similar. That's like saying Shiron hatching is a call back to Noibat hatching in XY....

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Even if Rockruff was tired slightly, it was probably just because of the strain of using the Z-move. It certainly didn't seem like Rockruff took damage from Mudbray.
Either way, it wasn't a curbstomp though I'm sure you'll prefer if Ash's Pokémon curbstomped every Pokémon. U_U It's already been shown they were battling already for a while and they just skipped to the end part.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Ha ha. I was right. Sophocles did end up helping but for the wrong reasons. Explosions are a threat to the island, after all.

Also a throwback to XY Saga as well.

Uh, but Ash is always suicidal enough to dive for his Pokemon rather than recalling them to their spheres. Not everything this kid does is a throwback to something.

I haven't watched the episode yet... did we finally get a reason for Tapu Koko stalking Ash?

It likes stalking foreign main characters. They're curious, funny, and flawed.

He's super bored of his native residents.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
We truly didn't see much of Rockruff vs. Mudbray. Oh, well. I was hoping to see Mudbray's Stamina ability in action, since PokéFan specifically mentioned it, so I'm a little disappointed about that, but at least Rockruff got a win under its ruff. Rockruff panting with exhaustion after using Breakneck Blitz really shows how taxing Z-moves can be on a Pokémon.

The scenes at Sophocles's house were more entertaining than I thought they would be. Sorry, Sophocles, but I just don't care much for you. I got a chuckle out of Sophocles and Rotomdex chatting, while Ash wandered around looking totally lost and confused, and Togedemaru showed Pikachu the joys of hanging from ceiling beams and rolling on carts. :p

Pikachu vs. Tapu Koko was just as intense and exciting as I'd hoped it would be! I expected Pikachu to lose, but he put up a really good fight. After this, I'm even more curious about Tapu Koko's motives for testing Ash and Pikachu. It specifically wanted to battle Pikachu (although that could have been related to whatever power Ash and Pikachu generated that cause Sophocles's exercise wheel to explode), and it waited patiently for Ash and Pikachu to use Gigavolt Havoc. (BTW, I loved how both Rockruff and Rowlet stepped forward to battle Tapu Koko, but troll bird be all like, "Outta my way, fools! I'm here to battle the mouse!")

Ash leaping off the cliff to save Pikachu definitely gave me XY02 vibes, but mostly because of the animation and camera angles (after all, Ash leaping to certain death to save his best friend is nothing new; he has been doing that for the past 20 years). Tapu Koko rushing in to save them had to be a reference to the beginning of the Sun & Moon games. I like how Tapu Koko was just carrying Ash and Pikachu on its arm.

Oh, that reminds me, they kept focusing on the Electrium-Z. It'll probably somehow get upgraded to Pikashunium-Z, like Bond Phenomenon but for Z-Crystals instead of Pokemon.

Not only that, but the Electrium-Z glowed a few times. I'm starting to wonder if Ash's Electrium-Z will magically upgrade itself to Pikashunium-Z, like you suggested. Speaking of which, what was with Ash's Electrium-Z glowing?

On another note, we finally got to see Lillie interact with someone other than Mallow! Even better, she interacted with Lana! Nice that Lana wasn't just standing there acting like wallpaper. It was also cute how worried Shiron seemed about the battle. It's a nice reminder that it's a newborn, so seeing a battle against a legendary Pokémon is understandably worrisome (especially with all the tension in the air from the humans).

Also, I fully expect Ash to have his own set of groupies after this battle. Or, at the very least, he ought to be mobbed by students wondering about this foreign exchange student who managed to attract the attention of Melemele's guardian deity. :p

Yeah, but showing off only the finishing move probably implies that it's a curbstomp. Like in Hawlucha vs Mega Absol(in the league). Hawlucha was shown delivering the finishing blow, but it was evident that Hawlucha won the battle with authority.

No, showing only the end of the battle (or the finishing move, which is not the only thing we saw) does not imply that it was a curbstomp. We only saw the tail end of the battle; we have no idea how the rest of the battle went. Just because Rockruff finished off Mudbray with Breakneck Blitz doesn't mean Rockruff had the upper hand throughout the entire battle.

Last edited:

Cat's Eye Draco

Also, the others seemed to be slightly worried and/or nonplussed for most of the Rockruff/Mudbray battle (up until just before the Z-move, anyway). The latter is pretty standard for Kiawe, but you'd think the girls and Sophocles would be a little more upbeat if Ash were winning by a landslide.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Also, the others seemed to be slightly worried and/or nonplussed for most of the Rockruff/Mudbray battle (up until just before the Z-move, anyway). The latter is pretty standard for Kiawe, but you'd think the girls and Sophocles would be a little more upbeat if Ash were winning by a landslide.
It felt more like a training battle to be honest and I guess they didn't want to seem that bias since Abareru kun didn't have an audience himself cheering on him besides for me.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this but it's really great seeing Kukui host the PokeProblem today! Can anyone explain to me what the problem was about? I know it involved the classmates.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
It felt more like a training battle to be honest and I guess they didn't want to seem that bias since Abareru kun didn't have an audience himself cheering on him besides for me.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this but it's really great seeing Kukui host the PokeProblem today! Can anyone explain to me what the problem was about? I know it involved the classmates.

I think (given the context of the episode) it was asking whose house does Ash visit (did hear Satoshi and a word that sounded similar to house)

Dephender/others who speak Japanese could confirm for you though...

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
On another note, we finally got to see Lillie interact with someone other than Mallow! Even better, she interacted with Lana! Nice that Lana wasn't just standing there acting like wallpaper. It was also cute how worried Shiron seemed about the battle. It's a nice reminder that it's a newborn, so seeing a battle against a legendary Pokémon is understandably worrisome (especially with all the tension in the air from the humans).
I enjoyed these as well (more Lana/Lillie interactions please!). :)

Meh, I was a little disappointed that the Rockruff/Mudbray battle was rushed (would've definitely liked to see a bit more battling being showcased between those two cool Pokémon). It looked like it could've been a bit even, but then Ash uses a Z-move and...that was that. I don't view that as curbstomp. To me, a curbstomp is a battle that is completely being a one-sided (like a flawless victory) and Mudbray did defend an attack quite well. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see much of it... :(

So...Sophocles house, I like the Togedemaru picture frame hehe (at least I think it was). Poor Ash though, he looked so bored or out of place being in Sophocles workshop, but I did like the helmet zap gag, and the interactions between Pikachu and Togedemaru.

Now onto the battle between Tapu Koko and Pikachu. I love how there were more people gathered for this battle (added a small sign of some suspense or epicness to it). Ultimately though, it looked like Pikachu was putting up a decent fight with its Irontail attacks, speed, and using its Z-move, but Tapu Koko didn't seemed phased at all. I mean after getting hit with the Gigavolt Havoc, Tapu Koko came right back at Pikachu and showed even more of its power by sending Pikachu flying and crashing through the fence! Also, Tapu Koko still had plenty of energy to save Ash and Pikachu as well. I really like the battle though and how Tapu Koko approached Ash and his Pokémon. That's definitely one really strong Pokémon. I mean, I was expecting to see Tapu Koko phased just a little bit, but it really wasn't from my point of view. :eek:

Overall, the first half of this episode had its moments, but I did find it a bit boring tbh (did I just say that?). Thank Arceus for the Pikachu/Tapu Koko battle, I liked it. :)

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
I think (given the context of the episode) it was asking whose house does Ash visit (did hear Satoshi and a word that sounded similar to house)

Dephender/others who speak Japanese could confirm for you though...

That's correct.

PsychoBoost

Carbon Dioxide
It's not really a 'curbstomp,' more demoing a new feature by letting it win a battle. They do that often, but it might be weird when the episode has another focus!

A dog beating 'Mudbray'? Lol it sounds less scary... Especially in this episode which involved dangerous positions for the protags.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Now onto the battle between Tapu Koko and Pikachu. I love how there were more people gathered for this battle (added a small sign of some suspense or epicness to it). Ultimately though, it looked like Pikachu was putting up a decent fight with its Irontail attacks, speed, and using its Z-move, but Tapu Koko didn't seemed phased at all. I mean after getting hit with the Gigavolt Havoc, Tapu Koko came right back at Pikachu and showed even more of its power by sending Pikachu flying and crashing through the fence! Also, Tapu Koko still had plenty of energy to save Ash and Pikachu as well. I really like the battle though and how Tapu Koko approached Ash and his Pokémon. That's definitely one really strong Pokémon. I mean, I was expecting to see Tapu Koko phased just a little bit, but it really wasn't from my point of view. :eek:

And that's just it. IMHO, this battle did a great job of showing just how strong Tapu Koko is (which should be no surprise, given that it's a legendary guardian deity). Even though Pikachu was putting up a good fight, Tapu Koko didn't seem fazed at all. It only winced once, when it got hit in the face by Pikachu's second Iron Tail. Pikachu's Gigavolt Havoc threw Tapu Koko into a tree, and it still seemed unfazed. (Troll bird just be like, "Gigavolt Havoc, eh? Shields up!")

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
And that's just it. IMHO, this battle did a great job of showing just how strong Tapu Koko is (which should be no surprise, given that it's a legendary guardian deity). Even though Pikachu was putting up a good fight, Tapu Koko didn't seem fazed at all. It only winced once, when it got hit in the face by Pikachu's second Iron Tail. Pikachu's Gigavolt Havoc threw Tapu Koko into a tree, and it still seemed unfazed. (Troll bird just be like, "Gigavolt Havoc, eh? Shields up!")

"SPARKING GIGAVOLT!"

"...oh. This again. Ow."

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Given how Gigavolt Havoc didn't even make it budge the first time, and this time sent it flying, it makes me wonder just how much damage it would do to Tapu Koko if it didn't shield itself.

Too early to say this. It only worked because Koko got worried about an island-threatening explosion going off.
That was hardly an island-threatening explosion, it didn't even leave a crater, and Tapu Koko has shown repeatedly to take an interest in Ash and Pikachu's development. Tapu Koko wasn't worried so much as excited to see what they had to offer after that demonstration on the wheel showed how much better they were at bringing out their power through the Z-Crystal.

<><><>

If I had to offer a criticism toward this episode its that the battle with Tapu Koko felt rather slow for most of it, and the pauses for commentary seemed lengthier than necessary. I was hoping to see the two zipping around the field at speeds almost too quick to follow and looking for openings like some of the higher quality XYZ battles, but the fight was mostly linear.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
My term didn't specifically and literally mean the actual size of the explosion.
Regardless, why would Tapu Koko see as a threat the trainer and pokemon it chose to give and foster power when said trainer and pokemon demonstrate they have become more powerful? Ash and Pikachu are doing what it wanted in the first place.

DatsRight

I suspect another battle may occur in the long run.

This shown progress, while Pikachu was still obviously outmatched, he managed to knock Tapu Koko back a bit (in the first battle, the Z Move didn't even budge it, here it knocks it back into a tree). Obviously the deity wants to make sure Pikachu gets stronger.

I expect this is also why the battle was somewhat slow paced, Tapu Koko wasn't fully battling, it was testing, it wanted to see what Pikachu would pull off.

PAndrews

To be fair, Tapu Koko does seem to have one overpowered ability in terms of shielding itself, those shields seem to negate everything (making Pikachu knocking it back quite a feat already). We also saw one iron tail to the face sends it flying, so Tapu Koko isn't really "that" powerful, he just has the ultimate defence move to hide behind and avoid taking a hit.

As for Pikachu, it did tank quite a few powerful attacks here, took the full brunt of discharge and still seemed fine even after being rescued from its near death fall.

Though have to wonder why Ash focused on Iron tail so much here, its a not very effective against electric types and since Tapu Koko can play turtle and shield itself he'd need faster attacks to overome that. Seems Quick Attack and Thunderbolt would have been a much better choice.