• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Intense Electric Shock Training! A Rematch with Tapu Koko!! (962)

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I mean tactically. Sinnoh Pikachu was a pokémon that had to fight up close to use its best moves, Iron Tail and Volt Tackle. Had Latios actually used its speed to keep its distance and dodge Pikachu's attacks instead of trying to take a combo move of Volt Tackle and Iron Tail with Luster Purge, which was its weakest move, it would have fared much better. They gave Pikachu too much opportunity to get direct hits in by getting in so close. Latios was faster and it could fly, yet Tobias didn't take advantage of that at all.

Seriously, Pikachu came down from a high altitude, unable to steer or fly, and you wait for it on the ground directly below it where it can use its falling speed to strengthen its physical moves even further, instead of just flying out of the way and hitting it with Luster Purge right when Pikachu crashed.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I mean tactically. Sinnoh Pikachu was a pokémon that had to fight up close to use its best moves, Iron Tail and Volt Tackle. Had Latios actually used its speed to keep its distance and dodge Pikachu's attacks instead of trying to take a combo move of Volt Tackle and Iron Tail with Luster Purge, which was its weakest move, it would have fared much better. They gave Pikachu too much opportunity to get direct hits in by getting in so close. Latios was faster and it could fly, yet Tobias didn't take advantage of that at all.

Well Ash used the opportune moment to jump onto Latios's back. As if Latios could've dodged the Volt Tackle then it certainly would have. A gravity powered Volt Tackle descending at great speed was probably really difficult to evade.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Another mistake by Tobias, he shouldn't ever have allowed Pikachu to get the opportunity of jumping on Latios's back, Latios flew far too low. And later on Latios was way faster, Latios could accelerate itself further while descending, which Pikachu could not. Latios should have had ample time to dodge Pikachu's attack. If it couldn't, it was really poorly trained.

PsychoBoost

Carbon Dioxide
To be fair, while Tobias' Pokémon did try hard, he was trying to finish off the battle and didn't need his Pokémon to survive it..

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Another mistake by Tobias, he shouldn't ever have allowed Pikachu to get the opportunity of jumping on Latios's back, Latios flew far too low. And later on Latios was way faster, Latios could accelerate itself further while descending, which Pikachu could not. Latios should have had ample time to dodge Pikachu's attack. If it couldn't, it was really poorly trained.

Or you know, Pikachu is just too incredible when it is at his best, like when it's Peakachu. Latios was stronger than Darkrai. Darkrai took hard hits from Heracross and Gible while Latios destroyed Sceptile and Swellow without taking any damage.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Not going to lie, but I was quite disappointed by this episode on multiple fronts. The battle with Mudbray was just to set-up the plot, but I expected to see just a tad more - perhaps even see Stamina kick in, but alas.

I think that after the (boring) foodrelated/science slapschtick-parts of Ash visiting Sophocles' house the point was that there might be set-up for Ash's Electrium Z to upgrade to Pikashunium Z. During the spinning wheel scene, I liked that Rockruff noticed that Rowlet was fumbling and got it out of there. For a moment I thought I saw the normal Electrium Z-icon morph into what looked more like a Pikachu's tail than anything else (even though Pikachunium Z has the externalized Pikachu-tail feature). #mightymorphingpowerchrystals

The battle battle with Tapu Koko was okay, but would've been better with a higher pace. I liked that we didn't see Ash hesitate to jump after Pikachu. I honestly didn't see that coming. I saw the blow out, then Pikachu crashed through the gate.. While that moment registered and before anything else had come to mind, Ash had already jumped after him.

What I really didn't like though was the implication of Ash still not being ready to move forward. There's literally nothing left for him to do on Melemele anymore, aside from Litten and the "school" which is a dead-end since there's no actual plot involved there. I would've wanted him to get a more proper acknowledgement from Tapu Koko. I mean I don't expect Ash to beat Tapu Koko now, but it was hardly fazed by what Pikachu threw at him. Yes, more then in their initial skirmish, but this just still felt like Ash was being schooled. There was no acceptance in the sense of "you did well so far, you can go on your own from here"-vibe after the battle.

Or you know, Pikachu is just too incredible when it is at his best, like when it's Peakachu. Latios was stronger than Darkrai. Darkrai took hard hits from Heracross and Gible while Latios destroyed Sceptile and Swellow without taking any damage.

Was it though? Why would somebody as obsessed with strength lead with Darkrai if he had something that could achieve his goals quicker? You note that Darkrai took hard super-effective hits, while Latios took nearly nothing from Sceptile and Swellow, which was mostly because Sceptile was worn down by Darkrai and Swellow just didn't stack up. So you're actually arguing that Darkrai is the beefier of the two, while saying the exact opposite.

Last edited:

PsychoBoost

Carbon Dioxide
[IMG200][/IMG200]Writers should do something with the plot cuz I am losing interest in this series.
Hang in there! There's probably another exciting plot-driven cooking episode!

The Pokémon team understand what you want.

The rest of the plot will be Mao trying to cook exotic Hawaiian dishes. Hold onto your seats!!

Edit-- Not serious btw.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Was it though? Why would somebody as obsessed with strength lead with Darkrai if he had something that could achieve his goals quicker? You note that Darkrai took hard super-effective hits, while Latios took nearly nothing from Sceptile and Swellow, which was mostly because Sceptile was worn down by Darkrai and Swellow just didn't stack up. So you're actually arguing that Darkrai is the beefier of the two, while saying the exact opposite.

Tobias used Darkrai to sweep the Sinnoh League probably because of the fact that Darkrai would fare better against larger strings of Pokemon because of its Dreameater healing. The Dark Void-Dreameater combo was probably the reason it swept the Sinnoh League. But from a power standpoint, Latios is stronger because it managed to destroy two Pokemon without taking any damage at all, unlike Darkrai. Even if Sceptile was somewhat worn out by Darkrai, we would expect a strong Pokemon like Sceptile to get a hit on Latios before falling. And Swellow is by no means an inferior Pokemon than Heracross and Gible. Judging by its overall battle resume, Swellow is certainly Ash's best bird, slightly better than Heracross and definitely better than Gible. The fact that Heracross and Gible managed to land hard hits on Darkrai while Latios destroyed Swellow without taking any damage shows that Latios is clearly stronger. Plus, Tobias didn't seem much bothered when Darkrai(his signature Pokemon who swept the League) was defeated and send out Latios confidently which was an indication that he had an even more stronger Pokemon in its kitty, but then when Pikachu was troubling Latios, Tobias seemed really concerned. So I will definitely say Latios>Darkrai.

satobato

Pokemon master
Did it means that rowlet is going to evolve very soon

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Not bashing but, how much do you want to bet that by the end of the Alola saga Ash will not have defeated Tapu Koko at all?

Just saying because it seems like something the writer's would do, as far as I am concerned the writer's are the show's true main antagonist (again not bashing just stating my opinion)

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Not bashing but, how much do you want to bet that by the end of the Alola saga Ash will not have defeated Tapu Koko at all?

Just saying because it seems like something the writer's would do, as far as I am concerned the writer's are the show's true main antagonist (again not bashing just stating my opinion)

He'll at least be able to tie with it by the end. The writers aren't the main antagonists, it's marketing that is. Money, dear boy.

PsychoBoost

Carbon Dioxide

The writers have actually been quite generous so far, in this sub-plot.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

It could happen. I'm already getting the feeling that Ash's final battle with Tapu Koko is going to be Sun & Moon's equivalent to the Pokémon League since that's what it seems like the trials & Ash's development are building up towards . Given Ash's experiences with the leagues in the past, and the fact that the anime usually likes to portray legendary & mythical pokémon as nearly unstoppable demigods, I can see Ash's final battle with Tapu Koko ending in either a loss or a tie. Plus, similar to the league losses, it would symbolize how Ash still needs to explore the world to get stronger and act as a scapegoat so that the writers don't have to introduce a new protagonist

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
This rematch happened faster then I thought it would. The battles seemed so so. At this stage I am convinced that Ash should always keep a pokemon with Vine whip in his team at all times. When he jumped off the cliff to catch Pikachu what was he thinking? What exactly was going to be the end game for that plan of action? If Tapu koko had not intervened it looked like Ash was heading for some serious injuries. (heroic as the action was)

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
This rematch happened faster then I thought it would. The battles seemed so so. At this stage I am convinced that Ash should always keep a Pokemon with Vine Whip in his team at all times. When he jumped off the cliff to catch Pikachu what was he thinking? What exactly was going to be the end game for that plan of action? If Tapu Koko had not intervened, it looked like Ash was heading for some serious injuries. (heroic as the action was)

You're talking about a guy who jumped from a much higher place last region. He's not exactly thinking that far ahead. Let me tell you his exact train of thoughts: "Oh no, Pikachu is going to fall! I need to catch him!"

Vipsoccermaster

Pretty good rematch between Pikachu and Tapu Koko. Ash really cares more about Pikachu than his own life. Tapu Koko must be thinking, "I think I might have pushed Pikachu a bit too much." But Tapu Koko sees that both Ash and Pikachu have gotten stronger, so there's that. First half of the episode was alright, nothing special about Sophocles other than learning about his parents and helping Ash a bit with powering up for the rematch.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
So I believe I heard Lillie say that she was jealous of Ash battling Tapu Koko iirc. It really seems she enjoys battling, which is great imo, especially since the last girl wasn't that interested in it.