• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Intense Electric Shock Training! A Rematch with Tapu Koko!! (962)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
That intro fight was stupid. Mudbray simply stood doing nothing when that Z-Move hit its face. What, did it think it could really endure it? Not even a "freaked out expression rooting me to the floor" moment to "justify" the blow connecting.

It's pretty sad Ash didn't even understand a conversation that had zero scientific terms in it.

Unfortunately(?) for Rowlet and Rockruff, Tapu Koko is Pikasexual. Therefore, it was a waste of time for them to even be considered for a fight against the bird thing. Ash simply brushes it off anyway? Man, those two are never getting to fight the deity.

By the way, that fight was pretty boring. It had more talk and hopeless blows than what I'd like.

Some guardian Koko is. His Discharge was about to harm citizens of Alola, but then it's pretty okay for him to save Ash (the foreigner) from a suicidal fall (really, what does the kid expect to do without intervention?) he did without thinking to use a Poke Ball...and it's not that long since someone else dove to their deaths doing the same thing.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
This rematch happened way too soon to get me interested, hopefully if Ash ever battles Tapu Koko again it isn't until Sun/Moon is wrapping up and Pikachu's allowed to be at his full potential.
Also, hearing somebody's dad refer to their wife as their child's mother is just cringy. "Sophocles' mother makes the best cooking" - Sophocles' Dad 2017
Just use her damn name, Kiawe's parents have names for crying out loud. Why can't Sophocles?
7.5/10

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Also, hearing somebody's dad refer to their wife as their child's mother is just cringy. "Sophocles' mother makes the best cooking" - Sophocles' Dad 2017
Just use her damn name, Kiawe's parents have names for crying out loud. Why can't Sophocles?

Probably because the dubbers can't find a flower-theme naming that relates to the one Sophocles is named after.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
This rematch happened way too soon to get me interested, hopefully if Ash ever battles Tapu Koko again it isn't until Sun/Moon is wrapping up and Pikachu's allowed to be at his full potential.
7.5/10
I think that line is "inherited" from the Japanese version, where Sophocles's father refers to his wife (Sophocles's mother) as "Mama." In Japanese culture, it's pretty common to refer to family members by their relationship to the children of the family, especially when talking to the children or to their friends. So, it's not unusual that Sophocles's father refers to his wife as "Mama" in front of Sophocles and his friends, because that's her relationship to Sophocles--she's his mother.

While Kiawe's parents do have names, IIRC, they were never mentioned in the Japanese version of SM11. (I have not seen SM11 dubbed, so I don't know if their names were mentioned in the dub.) Kiawe's friends would refer to his parents as "aunt" and "uncle," not as "Mrs. and Mr. [insert Kiawe's nonexistent last name here]."

It probably would have been better if the dubbers had found another way to translate that line that made more sense to an American audience, but I suppose they decided to go with a faithful translation (which isn't a bad thing, but it can lead to awkward lines such as a husband referring to his wife as his child's mother).

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
...Why the hell did he say "Sophocles's mom's cooking"? Why not: my wife's cooking

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
That intro fight was stupid. Mudbray simply stood doing nothing when that Z-Move hit its face. What, did it think it could really endure it?
The way it braced itself certainly made it look like it thought it could take the hit, as taking hits is kind of what Mudbray and Mudsdale are meant to do. I'd wager it hadn't gotten hit by a Z-move before.

Some guardian Koko is. His Discharge was about to harm citizens of Alola, but then it's pretty okay for him to save Ash (the foreigner) from a suicidal fall .
We've long known that what matters to the guardians is if they regard the person as interesting. Tapu Koko probably barely noticed the crowd was even there, given how focused it is on fighting, and would have likely thought that if they got hit then its their own fault for being too close. Likewise its well known that the guardians aren't exactly guardians in every sense, especially after getting disillusioned with humans during past wars.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
So your prediction of Rockruff vs Mudbray not being a curbstomp was wrong.

This is pretty rude, even if you had evidence of a curbstomp (which no one does) to go back to something someone said in the preview thread just for the sake of saying "you're wrong" and just for the sake of your headcanon

It could happen. I'm already getting the feeling that Ash's final battle with Tapu Koko is going to be Sun & Moon's equivalent to the Pokémon League

So Ash will lose

So I believe I heard Lillie say that she was jealous of Ash battling Tapu Koko iirc. It really seems she enjoys battling, which is great imo, especially since the last girl wasn't that interested in it.

I hope USUM have gyms and Lillie does them while Ash does trials

I explained this in the post right above yours, but essentially, that line was probably "inherited" from the Japanese version.

Thanks!

They're secretly divorced but Sophocles doesn't know?

Maybe he's pulling a Norman and sleeping with Nurse Joy because he finds her bed more Comfey

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
This episode’s JP version brings to mind a question I’ve had for a long time: why does it think that disgusting phlegmy throat-clearing sound is “cool?” It was tough enough getting through the Zoroark movie with that damn sound being uttered by the eponymous Pokemon. Now I had to hear it from my favorite Alola Legendary??? Needless to say, I liked Erica Schroeder’s performance as Tapu Koko. I don’t care if it sounds a lot like her Pidove voice.

Now that I’ve gotten my JP version complaint out of the way, there’s something about the dub I need to bring up. Sophocles’ dad referring to his wife as “Sophocles’ mom.” I know it’s a part of Japanese culture to refer to the spouse that way, but it doesn’t fully translate to other cultures (as far as I know; certainly not in the case of any English-speaking one). This is one of the only problems I have with the dub: its tendency to be overly literal with its translation. It doesn’t need to be a complete facsimile of the JP version, so it should cut down on trying to be.

Can’t say I’m happy the XY Trainer Battle theme got kept (can’t even stick to the corresponding generation’s game soundtrack, huh?), but I guess there’s worse choices of music to retain. Same to the Title Screen theme at the episode’s end. Can’t say much about the dub music, as it was just its standard good.

And overall, it’s a pity this episode wasn’t so important after all. What even happened? Pikachu got faster? Whoop-de-doo. Neither of the battles in this episode were all that good, especially the one this episode was about. So, consider me unimpressed.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Can’t say I’m happy the XY Trainer Battle theme got kept (can’t even stick to the corresponding generation’s game soundtrack, huh?)

I love that trainer battle theme and it's my favorite out of all 7 generations, so I loved that it was there regardless of the fact that it's no longer Gen VI. Now if only VS screens in the Gen VI style would also be used then I would be 100% happy lol

And overall, it’s a pity this episode wasn’t so important after all. What even happened? Pikachu got faster? Whoop-de-doo. Neither of the battles in this episode were all that good, especially the one this episode was about. So, consider me unimpressed.

It was the first time we saw Rockruff use a Z-move, and I also liked the Pikachu's attack actually threw Tapu Koko's body against a tree, despite Tapu Koko's shield being up. Shows how strong Pikachu is

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
I love that trainer battle theme and it's my favorite out of all 7 generations, so I loved that it was there regardless of the fact that it's no longer Gen VI. Now if only VS screens in the Gen VI style would also be used then I would be 100% happy lol
Come on, they should have used a generic bland Goldfarb theme that fits the intensity of the battle and you know it!

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Come on, they should have used a generic bland Goldfarb theme that fits the intensity of the battle and you know it!

Lol the sarcasm :p

Anyways I don't mind Goldfarb's music but I think the people before him made better dub music. I wonder how the music would be like if John Loeffer or whatever his name is was still working for the dub.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
Lol the sarcasm :p

Anyways I don't mind Goldfarb's music but I think the people before him made better dub music. I wonder how the music would be like if John Loeffer or whatever his name is was still working for the dub.
Well, his BW work was meh IMO, but his OS-DP music was good. He didn't try to MickeyMouse every little scene, so that'd be an improvement.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Actually, if I understand Ryu correctly, he didn't even want a Goldfarb theme but just the Gen VII trainer battle theme instead of the Gen VI one

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.

None of the dub composers were ever flat-out bad, but I feel they had certain areas of expertise. Mr. Loeffler was good at the show, but he (and fellow 4kids composer Ralph Shuckett) made the best Pokemon movie music ever, and Mr. Goldfarb is okay at the movies, but best at scoring the show.

Actually, if I understand Ryu correctly, he didn't even want a Goldfarb theme but just the Gen VII trainer battle theme instead of the Gen VI one

I'd have accepted either a dub composition or a G7 Trainer or Wild Battle theme.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I wish that Iwanko versus Dorobanko had lasted longer, although that scuffle was mainly supposed to show us how strong Iwanko had become. I loved how Maamane's bedroom looked like a laboratory too, and I chuckled when Iwanko had a shocked expression when the running wheel malfunctioned.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
So Ash will lose

Hm, I had a bad take here.

Also, it's funny to see everyone in this thread refer to Ash jumping as an XY01 callback, not a single person in this thread says the correct episode number which would be XY02.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Hm, I had a bad take here.

Also, it's funny to see everyone in this thread refer to Ash jumping as an XY01 callback, not a single person in this thread says the correct episode number which would be XY02.
Probably unrelated, but it's always hard for me to remember any episode number that isn't the first one or two episodes in a saga, so I'm utterly in the dark when someone says, "XY54."

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Probably unrelated, but it's always hard for me to remember any episode number that isn't the first one or two episodes in a saga, so I'm utterly in the dark when someone says, "XY54."
that's why Bulbapedia exists