1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Inter-species communication of pokemon?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Kacho, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Kacho

Kacho You are next.

How is it possible for the 496(?) different species of pokemon to communicate like they are one same species?

Just how?

(Think about PMD games, think about Pikachu communicating to Zapdos in the movie.... pokemon talking to pokemon in animes)

2. Alpha Gamer

Alpha Gamer Strength & Strategy

Pokemon + Logic = fail.

/thread

3. Kacho

Kacho You are next.

why fail ? LOL

4. Hotrod93

Hotrod93 Dragon Trainer

Every Polemon has universal understanding?

BTW I dont know.

5. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Because in a franchise this wide and this varied, it's simply far easier to just set the silent ground rule that everyone can understand everyone, human or Pokémon, and move on to the gameplay/limited storytelling.

6. zlxq3000

zlxq3000 Master Collector

That's like asking "Why can all the aliens in DBZ speak the same language as the main characters?" It just makes everything easier.

7. godudette

godudette /me cresselias

Well, think about how humans of different languages can communicate sometimes through body gestures and facial expressions.

And then think about how the Pokemon world has no sense of logic. Lolz.

8. buskalilly

buskalilly Last, best hope

I think their supernatural powers and their unusual position in a world that seems to otherwise consist of the animals and that from our world, I would say there is some common (supernatural) origin for all Pokémon. this being the case, its not so strange they can communicate.
    Also, they seem pretty much sentient, so they're not just like animals

9. Griff4815

Griff4815 No. 1 Grovyle Fan

Maybe there's a lingua franca.

10. Or every pokemon has there own copy of rosetta stone

11. Joki

Joki Active Member

All Pokémon have the same origin (isn´t Mew the ancestor of all Pokémon?), so it´s very likely that they share some kind of communication possibilities.

And of course, it´s a videogame and therefore hasn´t to follow all rules of logic :)

12. Lord Scalgon

Lord Scalgon What title?

13. Skaisdead

Skaisdead Movers and Shakers

Almost every alien that comes to earth in movies and television shows can already speak English. How is this reasonable? It just makes it easier for the viewer.

14. MetalFlygon08

MetalFlygon08 Haters Gonna Hate

Can't most animals communicate with one another? through several means, like dog tails, cat's back arching and such. Pokemon probally follow a similar pattern, what I want to know is how the pokemon know the names of the moves given to them by humans, unless humans got the move names from the speaking pokemon such as chatot or alakazam.

15. Will-powered Spriter

Will-powered Spriter Pokédex Complete!

Only to the extent that we can with them.

Unless you mean cat communicating with cat, dog communicating with dog, in which it varies.

16. Willow's Tara

Willow's Tara The Bewitched

I am pretty sure Pokemon understands humans, just humans don't always understand them unless you are apparently Ash.

As for Pokemon with other Pokemon? I dunno just because that's the way it is

17. octoboy

octoboy I Crush Everything

I always wondered how rhyhorn could understand every command somebody gave it with the brain the size of a garden pea.

Who knows how pokemon can understand each other. That's as easy to guess as how a language with only a few syllables can be understood at all. Like the others said, it's probably for convenient purposes. It would be annoying if every pokemon had a language barrier between each other, so pokemon can talk to each other, but people can't understand them, because it would be awkward to command and control something that you can understand.

Or something like that.

18. Flame of Madness

Flame of Madness I didn't do it!

There's no logical explanation to that question just like there isn't a logical explanation for the existence of Pokemon itself haha.

19. Real life logic doesn't apply here. Pokemon + logic = fail.

20. jellsprout

jellsprout Well-Known Member

In the games: every Pokémon is able to communicate with those of its own species through body language and pheromones, just like real life animals. They aren't able to have intellectual, human level conversations with eachother, only basic animal conversations.

In the animé: once again, the animé screwed up again. They treat Pokémon like they are as intellectual as humans, which makes no sense at all. They don't communicate through intonation, because they always pronounce everything in the same way. They don't communicate through body language, because even Pokémon such as Koffing are able to communicate. I doubt they communicate with pheromones, because those would be too slow. It doesn't make any sense how all species of Pokémon are able to communicate with eachother, but not with humans.
    As I said, the animé screwed up again.

Mysterious Dungeon: these games follow a different canon than the other games, more likely taking place in some fantasy world, rather than the actual Pokémon world (I know, a fantasy world inside a fantasy world). The differences are too great from the other Pokémon canons to be allow comparison between them.
    So in the Mysterious Dungeon canon, the Pokémon are able to speak normal English.