• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Interesting Hard-to-Notice Things

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
As I've been playing through this game, I've noticed a few things here and there. Some of them I've made videos for, and some I have not. Most are related to functional things and mechanics, but I do have a few artistic observations as well. And I know some of these have been noticed by other people, but I wanted to have these observations all in one place. I've put up some of these on the "Speculation/Discussion Thread," but I feel it doesn't quite thematically fit into any of the other threads here, so I made my own.

Feel free to add your own too.

Here are the stuff that I've found:
  • Watering either unit of a 2-unit berry plot will water the other one too. For 4-unit plots, watering either unit on the left will water the other left unit, and same goes for the ones on the right. The two plots in front of the Floaroma Town flower shop count as a single 2-unit plot--water either side, and the other will be watered too. There are a couple of exceptions: the two right units of the plot on Route 213, immediately east of Pastoria City, must be watered independently. In addition, both of the 4-unit plots in the Fight Area can be watered all in one go--water any of them, and the other three will be watered.
  • The lines on the Cyber clothing will glow any time you're playing in a dark location, like outside at night or in a cave.
  • Berry plants now accurately display the berries themselves rather than generic shapes.
  • If a wild Pokémon battle begins with a close-up of the trainer, that wild Pokémon is guaranteed at least two maximum IVs. Here is a demonstration of it in action:
  • The exception is the Drifloon found each Friday at Valley WIndworks. Drifloon is guaranteed at least three maximum IVs, but the wild Pokémon battle will not begin with a trainer close-up.
  • If you receive an egg within the same Egg Cycle (255 steps), the eggs will hatch consecutively without you having to move. In prior games (including Pokémon Sword and Shield), you had to move at least 1 step.
  • In battles where you can gain EXP, if you switch from one Pokémon to another, the previous Pokémon will gain full EXP upon the opposing Pokémon's defeat. Specific to Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, however, if the AI switches from one Pokémon to another, the game will "remember" what Pokémon were used against it. Once that opposing Pokémon returns to battle, upon its defeat, all Pokémon that saw it gain full EXP regardless of if they saw it on its return or not. You can try this for yourself in the Volkner rematch battle. Most of his Pokémon have Volt Switch, so he does more switching than any other AI opponent, then observe who gets how much EXP.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
When you enter a Pokemon Hideaway with a lead Pokemon with Synchronise, all the Pokemon that appear will have the same nature as your Synchroniser. With this in mind you don't have to keep your Synchroniser in the lead.

pokeplayer9994

• If you receive an egg within the same Egg Cycle (255 steps), the eggs will hatch consecutively without you having to move. In prior games (including Pokémon Sword and Shield), you had to move at least 1 step.
I was breeding Eevee a few weeks ago to get all it's Evolutions and had this happen. I was wondering why an egg hatched as quickly as it did. Now I know.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
When you enter a Pokemon Hideaway with a lead Pokemon with Synchronise, all the Pokemon that appear will have the same nature as your Synchroniser. With this in mind you don't have to keep your Synchroniser in the lead.

This is weird. I had an adamant kadabra, but the Gabite I caught had a Gentle nature. >.>

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
This is weird. I had an adamant Kadabra, but the Gabite I caught had a Gentle nature. >.>
Unless that Synchronize Kadabra wasn't in the lead then it must have been was a one in a million fluke in the system.

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
The Kadabra was most definitely in the lead, alive. I caught three Gabite this way (I don't know if I still have them or ditched them. There was definitely a Gentle and a Naughty Gabite. I thereafter exited the room and re-entered and subsequently did capture an Adamant Gible.

Maybe it has to do with me getting the Kadabra from the box while I was already in the room? - and thus the Gabite already had a set nature and that Synchronize can't overrule it at that point?

Zorovolt

Champion of the Zora
The Kadabra was most definitely in the lead, alive. I caught three Gabite this way (I don't know if I still have them or ditched them. There was definitely a Gentle and a Naughty Gabite. I thereafter exited the room and re-entered and subsequently did capture an Adamant Gible.

Maybe it has to do with me getting the Kadabra from the box while I was already in the room? - and thus the Gabite already had a set nature and that Synchronize can't overrule it at that point?
You're correct- natures are set when you enter the room.

Kingudora

My favourite
  • The exception is the Drifloon found each Friday at Valley WIndworks. Drifloon is guaranteed at least three maximum IVs, but the wild Pokémon battle will not begin with a trainer close-up.
Wait what. The Drifloon I caught did have a trainer close-up, but it would have had 3 guaranteed perfect IVs anyway? Good thing I got lucky and got a trainer close-up within 3-4 softresets, otherwise I likely would have wasted a lot of time. Is Rotom also guaranteed to have 3 perfect IVs?

Also, compared to Brilliant pokémon in SwSh, trainer close-up feel wayyyy rarer. Of course, this mostly has to do with the fact that you actually have to battle a pokémon to tell if it will have a trainer zoom in or not. In SwSh you could just run back and forth in front of a patch of grass until a Brilliant pokémon would spawn, while in the underground in BDSP, you have to start a battle with every single pokémon to see if they will have a trainer close-up. And with random encounters in grass or while surfing, you can't even tell what pokémon you're encountering until after the trainer close-up. (Looking for a Buizel with a trainer close-up? Too bad here's your 3rd Bidoof instead)

All in all, I really wish trainer zoom in encounters guaranteed 3 perfect IVs rather than just two. Or at least guarantee 2 IVs with a higher chance for three, like pokémon with Brilliant Auras do in SwSh. Deliberately trying to get pokémon with trainer close-ups is just too time consuming compared to searching for pokémon with a Brilliant Aura.

It's the reason why I'm still at two badges even though I got the game at release, since I've spent most of that time trying to get pokémon with 3 IVs through trainer close-up encounters. For the record, I haven't found a single one through this method (not for certain at least, I don't have the judge function yet after all). The main reason I've been stuck doing this was because of Synchronize not initially working on PokéRadar chains, so I assumed it would be less time consuming in the long run to go for trainer close-up encounters rather than hoping for the best with PokéRadar chains. But that have been fixed in the meantime, so now it is definitely more efficient to go with PokéRadar chains instead. I have now limited the pokémon I'm searching for down to those that can't be chained with the PokéRadar, like those exclusive to the Underground or Honey trees.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
A really cool detail that I've noticed in BDSP, is that when you change your current clothing style, the game will change its various interfaces to accurately show your current look. The bag icon on the menu changes, the bag icon on the battle menu also changes, your face on the Town Map changes, etc.

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
A really cool detail that I've noticed in BDSP, is that when you change your current clothing style, the game will change its various interfaces to accurately show your current look. The bag icon on the menu changes, the bag icon on the battle menu also changes, your face on the Town Map changes, etc.
Thats a lot of really minor changes. It's a real shame you can't control if you want to remove the hat from certain outfits.
Personally i like the Gengar outfit but i really wish i could remove the beanie hat. Grey just doesn't fit the style.

Baggie_Saiyan

Omg finally!! That would make Masuda hatching so much easier once HOME is available and I can transfer my foreign ditto!

Hoping this is something GF follow up on for Gen 9