• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Interesting stuff

Kim62

Hello
I've been wondering this for a while. Now, R/S/E barley if ever talk about the other regions. Although it does mention Norman is from the Johto region, and if that's so would that mean that in G/S/C he appeared at some point?

I do not know since the third generation really messed up the time stream. Although I do remember a psychic trainer named Norman while playing Crystal but the Japanese names could be different.

Another thing, I think that Steven might have been one of the gym leaders.
There are three different gyms he might have been leader of:

1. Rustboro City: Considering this is where the Devon Corps. Building is and the the first gym is a rock type gym which would work with Steven love of rocks it would make sense although it would be kind of weird to keep running into him after you've already defeated him.

2. Mossdeep City:It would be a good place with his house being in th City and it having a special rock which might interest Steven. Also, if true, this might have been planned before the idea of double battles so they may have decided to knock off Steven as a gym leader to promote double battles.

3. Sootopolis City: This one is a long shoot but they always seem to have the most interesting and most seen trainers as the eighth gym leader and as the champion so it would be a good place for him.

Then there is the Cubone and the Kangaskhan questions. What if Cubone was meant to be a baby Kangaskhan who's mother died but they decided to scrap that idea at the last minute causing a lot of confusing later on in the games? It makes sense if you think about it.

At least that's what I think.

Post stuff that you've found to be interesting. I may post more later.

Last edited:

-BJ-

So ummm...completely random speculation thread? Okay then, uhhh...where's the father in R/B/Y/G/S/C/D/P?

itsme

(ノ@皿@)ノ ~ lolwut?
So ummm...completely random speculation thread? Okay then, uhhh...where's the father in R/B/Y/G/S/C/D/P?

Out working 24/7 so he can feed his family.

Mr. Charlie

I've been wondering this for a while. Now, R/S/E barley if ever talk about the other regions. Although it does mention Norman is from the Johto region, and if that's so would that mean that in G/S/C he appeared at some point?

I do not know since the third generation really messed up the time stream. Although I do remember a psychic trainer named Norman while playing Crystal but the Japanese names could be different.

Well, considering the most believed in timeline, RSE events happen before GSC events, so by the time Gold starts his journey, Norman would have already moved to Hoenn.

Another thing, what was the deal with switching Wallace from the eighth gym leader to the champion?
Was he originally suppose to be the champion?
I think that he might have and Steven might have been one of the gym leaders.

Well, they needed something to spice up the plot, so they decided to create a "True Champion", like in GSC. So they had to put someone as the Champion, I would have suggested Wally, but you know, it was their decision, and they choose Wallace.
So they created another strange looking character, put him in the Sootopolis Gym, moved Wallace to E4 champion and decided to hide Steven in what's-it's-name cave. As simple as a Bidoof.

What really bugs me is: Why Wallace? Didn't they had anyone else? The Winstrate (spelling?) Family Older Son would fit better, in my opinion. Monotype Champions just don't work.

-BJ-

Well, considering the most believed in timeline, RSE events happen before GSC events, so by the time Gold starts his journey, Norman would have already moved to Hoenn.

Forgive my ignorance, but could you point out why it's mostly believed that R/S/E takes place before G/S/C? I've always just acknowledged it, but never really tried to think of why (also only just played Sapphire a month ago).

*your sig is random :p

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Norman's from Johto? I don't remember that... When exactly is there any reference in the game to him being from Johto?

As for Wallace, I guess they just wanted to give his character a little bit more depth by making him champ, indicating his advance as a trainer. It may also have been to offset the huge type advantage Blaziken had against the E4 in R/S. Super effective against Dark, Ice, and Steel/Rock. With Wallace, there'd be a E4 member that was SE against Blaziken.

As for Steven's backstory, that'd actually be very interesting to read about. He could have been a Gym Leader, but he's obviously very rich, due to the fact that the Devon Corporation's president is his dad.

And in D/P, after defeating the Tower Tycoon Palmer, he says something about you becoming a great trainer just like your father. This means your dad was a trainer at one time too, although he could be dead, retired, or just not metioned by name. I think in the first two gens there was a reference to your dad at some time or another.

-BJ-

Norman's from Johto? I don't remember that... When exactly is there any reference in the game to him being from Johto?

Some NPC in Hoenn tells you that he heard Norman's family moved there from Johto; I just don't remember who or where that happens.

Mr. Charlie

Forgive my ignorance, but could you point out why it's mostly believed that R/S/E takes place before G/S/C? I've always just acknowledged it, but never really tried to think of why (also only just played Sapphire a month ago).

That's exactly what I was asking in the Possible Pokemon Timeline thread (too lazy to look for a link). The answer was the same one that I always saw as the only possible: The possibility to link between FrLg and RSE games without a time machine. The machine Celio builds only makes long distance trades possible, nothing like the Time Machine from GSC. I know it's just not enough, but since there are no other indications about timeline in RSE, we gotta hold on to what everything we have.

*your sig is random :p

What do you mean?

Aviano

I dropped my balls
I always thought the timemachine-trading thing was a bit farfetched anyway

and no, I don't mean the Pokemon...

or do I?

Well, they needed something to spice up the plot, so they decided to create a "True Champion", like in GSC. So they had to put someone as the Champion, I would have suggested Wally, but you know, it was their decision, and they choose Wallace.
So they created another strange looking character, put him in the Sootopolis Gym, moved Wallace to E4 champion and decided to hide Steven in what's-it's-name cave. As simple as a Bidoof.

What really bugs me is: Why Wallace? Didn't they had anyone else? The Winstrate (spelling?) Family Older Son would fit better, in my opinion. Monotype Champions just don't work.

That's part of the reason why I didn't like RSE nearly as much as other generations. It didn't seem as though it was as thought out as the others. I mean, the last time you fight May/Brendan is it Lilycove, which is ages from the Pokemon League, and the last time you fight Wally is in Victory Road, and he's dead simple to beat. The whole point of a rival is to compete with them to beat the Pokemon League is it not? Wally seemed a more complete rival the May/Brendan did.

As for Wallace, I guess they just wanted to give his character a little bit more depth by making him champ, indicating his advance as a trainer. It may also have been to offset the huge type advantage Blaziken had against the E4 in R/S. Super effective against Dark, Ice, and Steel/Rock. With Wallace, there'd be a E4 member that was SE against Blaziken.

This is the other reason I didn't like RSE. Blaziken was uber in gameplay, something which they should have fixed. The fact that they didn't fix this until Emerald just shows a bit of a lack in effort on their part.

Profesco

gone gently
I enjoyed them making Wallace the champion. He was never a particular favorite character of mine, but they gave him extreme depth for the RSE gen. We hear about him being a Contest master, we see him as a Gym Leader in Ruby and Sapphire, and in Emerald, he makes another great advance to being the Hoenn Pokemon Champion. It's like his own little story, an example of what the players of the games achieve.

Wally seemed a more complete rival the May/Brendan did.

I was always under the impression that Wally was the true rival. o_o

Last edited:

-BJ-

What do you mean?

Omanyte?

Anyway, yeah, I think the Time Machine is just a gimmick they needed to use to explain trading with the previous generation. You can't even say that D/P takes place after R/S/E because Pokemon "migrate" and the games seem to be more intertwined.

Also, Brendan/May never really seemed like the rival-type. I don't think they even mentioned taking on gyms. (and Lilycove isn't that far from the Pokemon League)

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
^i think if you play as may brendan mentions gyms several times like after you beat flannery and after lilycove he states he might do that to after asking and i quote"so youre going to collect all the gym badges then? hmm mabye i will do that to" ok so i paraphrased but that is what he says in a nutshell and we know they are beating gym leaders because they are using hm moves like fly.

Kim62

Hello
I edited the first post
added a question
took away the Wallace question (It was suppose to be rhetorical)

Mr. Charlie

Anyway, yeah, I think the Time Machine is just a gimmick they needed to use to explain trading with the previous generation. You can't even say that D/P takes place after R/S/E because Pokemon "migrate" and the games seem to be more intertwined.

You can't say anything about the RSE timeline if you don't think about the Time Machine. If the Pokémon "migrate" they could live in the Pal Park for 3+ years, and then a Time Machine wouldn't be necessary.

Also, Brendan/May never really seemed like the rival-type. I don't think they even mentioned taking on gyms. (and Lilycove isn't that far from the Pokemon League)

Yeah, they never seemed the rival-type to me too, not to mention their team is always underleved. Not that Wally does a much better job, 'cause he doesn't. RSE rivals are boring.

Well, if you come to think about it:
It's Old, since the fossil is ancient;
It's New, since it has been revived a little time ago;
It is being Borrowed by you to your friends;
And, well, it's Blue.
So it's something old, new, borrowed and blue!

PsychicPsycho

Do they ever actually reveal who the older son is? I've always figured it was Steven, although now that I think about it I can't remember why.

And monotype champions < multitype champions for me, too. In fact, I proposed in a thread a while ago that all gym leaders & the E4 should be multitype, since one strong pokemon with a type advantage can run them over.

Squaaah

Do they ever actually reveal who the older son is? I've always figured it was Steven, although now that I think about it I can't remember why.

Apparantly he's a trainer in victory road, thats what i heard on the forums over at Pokemon X. Having said that, i've never seen a trainer whose revealed themselves to be an obvious candidate for the Winstrates son.

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos

And monotype champions < multitype champions for me, too. In fact, I proposed in a thread a while ago that all gym leaders & the E4 should be multitype, since one strong pokemon with a type advantage can run them over.

Can't be Steven, he's Devon Corp.'s manager guy's son.

I agree with you. Cynthia has got to be the best champion ever.

El Panda

No Present For You!
Actually if I reacall correctly, there is a trainer in R/S/E victory road that claims or hints that he is the Winstrates son, can't remember if he says it clear or just gives a big hint, but I'm 99% sure that he's in Victory Road