• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

International Challenge (doubles team)

joej m

Club Double Trouble
Hey everyone! i am a VGC player (which is FLAT RULE DOUBLES) who just got a very high ranking in a global link tourney. easily top ten score, just they like to disqualify people because of rage quitting, even if the person actually didn't rage quit. if others rage quit on them, then you have a chance of getting DQ'd. hopefully that doesnt happen to me :)

-Just to let you know AGAIN, this is a doubles team! that means double battling. if a single battler sees something, point it out. but dont say it is bad for reasons that it looks it from single battles.
-Dont say this team is bad. even if you think it is, i know for a fact it isn't. come on, a score that gets you top 10 in the world probably is not bad.
-If you say having trick room and thunder wave on a team is bad, i will understand that you are very closed minded, so i won't look at your rate at all

380.gif

Latias @ haban Berry
252 hp/ 156 defense/ 60 sp attack/ 36 sp defense/ 4 speed
Modest Nature
Levitate
-Dragon Pulse
-Surf
-Recover
-Light Screen
This was the first pokemon i put into the team along with gastrodon, which is the next one down. latias surf's and gastrodon gets the sp attack boost from storm drain. The EV's also let is 2HKO landorus-T (4 hp EV's) always with surf, 2HKO excadrill 50% of the time (252 hp EV's). it lives tyranitar crunch and scizor bug bite with ease, and lives modest latios' draco meteor with a dragon gem boost after haban berry. light screen could help with hail and rain teams that sometimes got on my nerves.

423-east.gif

Gastrodon @ sitrus berry
252 hp/ 108 defense/ 28 defense/ 120 sp defense
Bold Nature
(0 speed IV's)
Storm Drain
-Earth power
-Ice beam
-Recover
-Protect
Read about it, and its offensive counterpart here: http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/gastrodon-for-dummies/
It and latias make a pretty good duo. not a lead usually though. anyway, i explained how gastrodon gets the surfs and then gets the SP attack boost. this thing is also a pain to take out. it can sit on the field all game unless there are grass type moves coming at it. I didn't use muddy water/scald because i already had a perfectly fine water move on the team, and i needed more ice moves.

642.gif

Thundurus @ electric gem
196 HP/ 204 sp defense/ 108 speed
Calm Nature
Prankster
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power [ICE]
-Taunt
-Thunderwave
I have always hated facing bulky thundurus... so much... this thing is not only a bulky thundurus, but counters other bulky thundurus, because of all the speed investment which normal ones dont usually carry, so now i can taunt them first! It is also a fair speed control pokemon, and hidden power ice was very useful against pokemon like garchomp the EV's live dragon gem'd draco meteor's from all pokemon other than modest latios, but after a latias light screen it can easily. i gem'd thunderbolt because i didn't like the fact that it couldn't KO politoed most of the time without it.

212.gif

Scizor @ flying gem
212 hp/ 252 attack/ 44 speed
Adamant nature
Technician
-Bullet punch
-bug Bite
-Acrobatics
-Protect
After i started to use scizor a month or two ago, i can't make a team without it xD It stab is excellent, and its typing is quite nice too because of only one weekness, which this team counters easily. i opted out for acrobatics scizor because i needed someone with a flying/ psychic stab. while i could have done thundurus or latias, they needed all of the moves that they had on them. it can outspeed 4 EV speed hitmontop and KO with acrobatics AFTER the intimidate. Scizor also added great coverage with bug bite, and needed priority with bullet punch.

645-therian.gif

Landorus @ choice scarf
68 hp/ 252 attack/ 188 speed
Adamant Nature
Intimidate
-Earthquake
-Rock slide
-U-turn
-Superpower
This was the glue of the team really. it helped in so many ways. having 2 pokemon not being able to be hit by EQ, it is pretty easy to spam it. u-turn was to get the heck out, if my opponent counters me or anything like that. it also has good synergy with thundurus, and chandelure (next pokemon down) because it can weekend the rock weakness, because they are more sp defense heavy. Superpower was good for tyranitars (they live EQ), and chansey's, something i dont like to see ever. This was a common lead with chandelure or thundurus. The EV's outspeed jolteon with max speed.

609.gif

Chandelure @ fire gem
244 hp/ 20 defense/ 24 sp attack/ 220 sp defense
Calm Nature
(21 speed IV's)
Flash Fire
-Heat wave
-Shadow Ball
-Trick room
-Protect
Read about the EV's here: http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/guide-to-hailroom/
(scroll down to chandelure)
Chandelure was an amazing pokemon for the team. You might be thinking, way trick room? you have t wave already. that is what almost everything who i battled thought too. then trick room is up. gg. The IV's let is outspeed 76 speed EV scizor always. this is a common swords dance EV spread. Also, it, gastrodon, and scizor worked well together. Gastrodon and chandelure support scizor, because gastrodon counters fire and flash fire helps chandelure's power. Also, scizor and gastrodon counter rock type pokemon which is great. And finally, chandelure and scizor counter the grass pokemon that gastrodon has trouble with like ferrothorn and ludicolo.

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
Hello Joej m, interesting team you've got here.

So, I'm not as adjusted to doing VGC, as I'm sure the next person may be, but I did want to touch on the lack of a sufficient weather manipulative Pokemon on your team. I don't know exactly how, but you may want to try out Abomasnow on the team. You'll be encountering much weather, I can assure you and some most wins may come down to whether you can take full advantage, or fall in spite of, it.

I'd like to wish you good luck on the VGC challenge, however. :)

joej m

Club Double Trouble
Hello Joej m, interesting team you've got here.

So, I'm not as adjusted to doing VGC, as I'm sure the next person may be, but I did want to touch on the lack of a sufficient weather manipulative Pokemon on your team. I don't know exactly how, but you may want to try out Abomasnow on the team. You'll be encountering much weather, I can assure you and some most wins may come down to whether you can take full advantage, or fall in spite of, it.

I'd like to wish you good luck on the VGC challenge, however. :)
the challenge is actually over, and i got 1905 points like i said. which is high enough for top ten easily ( IN THE WORLD )
anyway, while it looks like that, weather teams are usually the easiest for me, especially rain teams (in VGC you can use drizzle and swift swim).
let me show you every type of weather and how i counter it:

Rain: common pokemon: ludicolo, politoed, kingdra, thundurus, scizor, metagross.
How i counter it: usually trick room is enough to counter it. gastrodon supports chandelure hugely here. even if the have ludicolo out, i can protect on gastrodon, and still absorb all water moves. the EV's also let chandelure live muddy water (common in VGC) from max sp attack kingdra in the rain, so that is no problem at all, because spread moves dont get brought to only one pokemon. once trick room is up, they are so dead. also, thunder waving is super useful, making there swift swim users super slow. Also, in trick room scizor will be countering most of them with powerful moves, and light screen is handy also.
Also: during this tourney i beat every single rain team i fought. which is 23 out of 93 battles

Sand: common pokemon: tyranitar, excadrill, Landorus, Landorus-T
How i counter it: really? if you can't see that this is easy to counter with this team you should probably get your eyes checked. between landorus, gastrodon, and scizor, this is just too easy. often these teams have trick room, which i can just taunt or reverse with ease

Sun: common pokemon: this is VGC. no one uses sun
How i counter: there are none to counter ._. but if i do battle one i can just thunder wave the chlorophyl pokemon, and having flash fire makes foes wary of heat wave spamming. that and landorus-T make this easy

Hail: common pokemon: abomasnow, rotom-f, mamoswine, chandelure, heatran
Counter: scizor, chandelure. i win

the problem with adding it in is i dont know where to put amomasnow, because everything on this team has its niche. thanks for the suggestion though, but i think i will pass because i did put countless hours into thinking that through, and it did work.

Last edited:

PokeMaster366

Due to the pure awesomeness of your team, I have been forced to copy it and test it out on PokemonShowdown. After a few battles, I can safely conclude that this team is awesome. The only real notes that I can make about the team are simply minor nitpicks. Because Rain Teams, like demons from Hell in shooters, are total ***** in VGCs now, you'll have to put 52 EVs into Sp. Def so you can survive a Kingdra's Draco Meteor with boosts from both LOrb and Helping Hand. It also might help to put enough Speed EVs in Landorus-T to outrun Modest WashTom (or do you need the extra HP to survive something). I could say more, but all of my other arguments are immediately forgotten when I remember that this team pukes a rainbow of various types and physical colors.

Edit:

Okay, I just checked the rankings, and I have some good news, and I've got some bad news. The good news is that if what you put in your sig is true, you tied for 1st in the U.S. Division with ZachDro (7th in the Masters Division overall). The bad news is that thanks to those cruel D/Cers you went against, your score went completely ignored and was removed from the standings. Guess who's not getting a bye so easily.

Last edited:

joej m

Club Double Trouble
Due to the pure awesomeness of your team, I have been forced to copy it and test it out on PokemonShowdown. After a few battles, I can safely conclude that this team is awesome. The only real notes that I can make about the team are simply minor nitpicks. Because Rain Teams, like demons from Hell in shooters, are total ***** in VGCs now, you'll have to put 52 EVs into Sp. Def so you can survive a Kingdra's Draco Meteor with boosts from both LOrb and Helping Hand. It also might help to put enough Speed EVs in Landorus-T to outrun Modest WashTom (or do you need the extra HP to survive something). I could say more, but all of my other arguments are immediately forgotten when I remember that this team pukes a rainbow of various types and physical colors.

Edit:

Okay, I just checked the rankings, and I have some good news, and I've got some bad news. The good news is that if what you put in your sig is true, you tied for 1st in the U.S. Division with ZachDro (7th in the Masters Division overall). The bad news is that thanks to those cruel D/Cers you went against, your score went completely ignored and was removed from the standings. Guess who's not getting a bye so easily.
that is a great idea. thanks for that.
and thanks xD my team is great at puking colors and stuff at them :p
i know i wasn't ranked... :/ but hey, happened to everyone once or twice. ill just do better next one! :D