• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Introduce yourselves. What made you read Pokemon Adventures in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So I think we can all agree that Pokemon Adventures is severely underrated, the writer, artist and anyone else behind the manga deserves way more fans that it should right now. Really wish it got more popular for more awesome discussions however... in some ways I kind of am glad it's not popular. Hearing the story how the GS Ball storyline got canned in the anime in favor of the movie, because of how popular the anime brand name is, makes me glad the manga got it's GS Ball storyline the way the writer wanted to write it down. Enough about that though.

Anyways, introduce yourselves. What made you read Pokemon Adventures in the first place? What are some fond memories you had of the series?

Pok%C3%A9mon_Adventures_20th_anniversary_calendar_cover.png

I suppose I'll get started. SALUUUUTATIONS! I'm shoz999! For me personally, as a little kid I honestly got tired of the anime quite easily. I thought Advance Generation was the most boring generic season at the time with the same repeated story lines in every episode, I still do actually. Heck, it probably has the worst adaptation of a villainous team to be frank. Haven't seen Black and White though so who knows, I may change my mind. Eventually came some re-airings of older episodes of Johto Journeys based on the first generation I ever played, Pokemon Gold and Silver. As much as I liked the Johto Pokemon featured there, I came to a realization that there was very little progression and wanted something more closer to the more focused storyline of the games. So what did I do? Did I discovered Pokemon Adventures? Nope. I begun making my own pen and paper Pokemon RPGs, not based on the anime but inspired by the games itself. I loved to draw my own regional maps, my own fakemon, come up with tons of OP abilities and moves as a kid. I always thought there was some kind of progression in the Pokemon games, some kind of hidden lore within the Pokedex entries and the stories the NPCs spoke of, that there were fictional worlds beyond the current regions of Hoenn, Johto and Kanto at the time.

Eventually I just started getting bored of Pokemon until one day I found out that there were actually three big Pokemon story mediums through the discovery of the internet. Pokemon the games, Pokemon the anime and Pokemon Adventures the manga. I checked it out, I was shocked how good this was! It not only had me hooked but there were times I just had to read certain story arcs twice in a row. In fact you could say that Pokemon Adventures was my first real introduction to the Pokemon world seen in the games. Some of you may have noticed that I kept mentioning how Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokemon, said Pokemon Adventures was the closest in capturing his vision of the Pokemon world right. I honestly do believe that because it was the manga, not the anime, that opened the door to me to a much bigger Pokemon world full of game lore that the anime just never explored, including believe it or not competitive Pokemon.

In fact, I recognized Red and Green (Rival) but I had no clue who Blue was! This peaked my curiosity. Eventually I later found out, months before the remakes featuring Leaf came out, that there was apparently plans for an unused female protagonist in the original RGB games featured in the promotional artwork. I was surprised on this revelation that Blue wasn't some made-up character, that she was based on the first female playable character (never said officially lol so technically it's kind of true). Then later I read the adventures of Yellow and I thought she was a naive yet sweet character that fits well with Red's personality and love for Pokemon. Yup, even back than I ship the two. Honestly though I thought Yellow was also based off of a character from the games. I mean look at her! Her clothes, the way she's shaped and styled, her hat and fishing rod. She looks like an actual legit video game character from the Pokemon video games! I was surprised to find out that she was an original character. Honestly I hope one day they include Yellow in the actual games. If they can do it with Jessie and James, they can do it with Yellow. Eventually the GSC story arc arrived with a sheer amount of research and care you will almost never see in the Pokemon anime, I mean literally any season, even XY and SM is quite small compared to any story arc in Pokemon Adventures, personally anyways. I was also surprised to see that the GS Ball actually had a far more satisfying explanation but it turns out in the end. That was quite small compared to the journey of our Pokedex holders and the friends and Pokemon they've meet. That was the real treasure, far more amazingly crafted than anything from the anime or even the games itself. Yup. This is the story of how I not only read Pokemon Adventures for the first time but also how it got me more interested in the WORLD OF POKEMON MORE THAN ANY OTHER ADAPTATION IN EXISTENCE! Well anyways, that's me. What about you guys?

Last edited:

Zipper4242

Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.
Hello there, I'm Zipper4242. Glad that you opened this thread because I love meeting and hearing the stories of fellow fans.

PokeSpe holds a special place in my heart, as it got me to love the world of Pokemon. When I was in fifth grade, I was browsing my local library, and I happened to find a "Best of Pokemon Adventures Red" book. At this point, I had read a couple of the chapter books based on the anime, but I really wasn't invested in it. I liked (still do) stories with great character development and a complex plot, and these sort of "slice-of-episode" books really didn't do that for me (I now know that the anime as a whole is pretty good with characterization and plot, but at this point I had never seen a single episode), but I loved the concept of Pokemon, so I decided to give PokeSpe a try, hoping it would be the sort of thing I liked. I took the Best of book home and loved it so much that I read every other volume out at the time (until volume 9, the second GSC volume), and that was that.
When Gold and Silver end up in the Lake of Rage and got replaced by Krys (and that somewhat new soft reboot storyline), I remember being so angry at Kusaka for abruptly switching the plot like he did and dropping Gold and Silver by the wayside (remember, this is 11 year old me lol), and then getting so fricking hyped when Red (and the others) returned.
And Blue became a gym leader! I had never played any of the games, so all the stuff in Spe that would've been obvious, like Blue's promotion to Gym Leader, to players of the game came as total plot twists to me. I will never forget how excited I was when Volumes 13 and 14 came out, concluding the GSC arc with that unbelievably awesome Gym Leader showcase, the twist identity of Mask of Ice and his complex characterization, and that epic picturs of all the Dex Holders and their starters in Ilex Forest for the final showdown. It was as good, if not better, than most books I had read.
And when that awesomeness was over? An ad for Spe DP was in the back! There was more!!! I read that arc as it was being serialized here in the US, and, halfway through, I decided I just couldn't wait. I had to read the rest of it before it came out in print, and that was when I realized. There was an entire generation of story arcs (plus the Heartgold/Soulsilver arc that was being published at the time) and an entire region that I didn't know about!
I ended up finding scanlations online (which I still use to read the current Spe so I don't have to wait years for the official English release) and read RSE/FRLG (unfortunately for me, after DP, which kind of ruined the surprise of
Sird being a double agent for Team Galactic
). I'm still unbelievably glad I found those scans, as it took about 4-6 years for the gen 3 arcs to be released by Viz, and I wouldn't have wanted to wait that long lol.

At this point, I was a pretty devoted follower of the manga. I had read every arc (and was up to date on the current BW arc), and wanted more. That was when I began playing Pokemon Tower Defense (fantastic game btw, I highly recommend it if you haven't played, it's absolutely amazing), the Firered ROM Hack Pokemon Adventures Red (still the best video game I have ever played), and from there, my first main series Pokemon game, Diamond (because the DPPt arc was my favorite Spe arc and Diamond was my favorite character. *sighs* making decisions at age 12 was so easy :D). I loved the games almost as much as the manga (still believe Spe is the best Pokemon media out there), and thought that playing as a main character from Spe was the coolest thing ever. (Ironically enough, my character, Diamond, started with Chimler the Chimchar and caught a Shinx nicknamed Rayler and a Buizel nicknamed Zeller- three Pokemon belonging to Pearl, not Diamond in Spe.) I still nickname a Pokemon like a Dex holder does when I catch one that they do (no matter which game, every single Bulbasaur I have caught is nicknamed Saur, for example). Playing the game just made me love Spe even more, since I understood all of the subtle references in it (the level of care and details to make such a connection to the games is unbelievable)

And that was the beginning of my love for Pokemon. I think I can safely say that I would never have played and completed every Pokemon game (besides X and Y), seen 90% of anime episodes, and be an active part of the Serebii community if not for the care, time, and quality put into PokeSpe. I still think the worldbuilding, plot, and characterization of it is better than any other shared universe (yes, including Marvel's Cinematic Universe), and it is unbelievably underrated. When I have kids, this manga is how I want to introduce them to the world of Pokemon, with Red catching a Nidoran outside of Pallet Town, with Poli evolving to save Red, with the battles of Cerise Island and Silph Co. and Ilex. To me, Pokespe is and always will be Pokemon at its core- and its finest.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
I don't think I need to say my name to introduce myself since my username is visible. :p Anyway, it was back in 2012 when my interest in the Pokemon Anime had been gradually diminished and had realized that the anime writers cared mostly about marketing rather than telling a consistent interesting story and I wanted to see a Pokemon version beside the games which I also like for the most part. I always heard good things about the Pokemon Adventures manga but I was kinda reluctant to read it because I didn't feel that reading a manga based on Pokemon would sit well to me compared to other manga franchises so I decided to give it a try with my expectations being quite low. I was blown away. It was the moment I realized what Satoshi Tajiri meant by stating that Pokemon Adventures resembles the Pokemon World he had in mind the most. The dark elements of the Pokemon World, the unpredictable plots, the characterization of all main characters that have appeared thus far and even the abandonment of the classic repetitive formula of focusing on a Badge Quest and a Pokemon League in every single series thus avoiding making the series feel stagnant, made me fall in love with this series. Also, the way Kusaka is tying events between series and the amount of continuity he offers makes me really adore this version of Pokemon since it really makes it an ongoing story which makes me crave for more. I would say Pokemon Adventures is the reason that I will probably never give up on the Pokemon franchise. It hurts that I have to wait for each month for every new chapter though but oh well it's almost always worth the wait. :D

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I kept hearing about how much better it was than the anime and I was interested in seeing the game MCs in action, so I started reading it

XY&Z Legend

Just chillin
Welcome to Serebii forums, Shoz. I got interested into reading Pokemon Special to see how different the characters are from their anime versions, in terms of their personality and relevance to the plot. I'm also interested in how the manga is exploring darker, mature themes not found in the anime. Some of these moments include: characters being killed off, neglect and abandonment, and endings where the bad guy wins. I liked how Pokemon Special pushed the envelope on certain content while at the same time having a family-friendly appeal.

The first chapter I read from Pokemon Special is the Emerald arc. At the time, I was interested in the Battle Frontier and it's characters, particularly Salon Maiden Anabel. In the anime, Anabel is portrayed as a cheerful, good girl with a crush on Ash. Here, Anabel is more of a dead serious, somewhat, crueler character that is closer to her video game counterpart. She’s now nicer and more expressive in the Sun & Moon chapter and has a more cute design than the last time we’ve seen her.

I know it's strange, but whenever my favorite characters reappear in a future chapter, that's when I start reading Pokemon Special. Other than that, I always appreciate how the manga is trying to do something different while also retaining the franchise’s spirit of adventure.

Last edited:

shoz999

Welcome to Serebii forums, Shoz. I got interested into reading Pokemon Special to see how different the characters are from their anime versions, in terms of their personality and relevance to the plot. I'm also interested in how the manga is exploring darker, mature themes not found in the anime. Some of these moments include: characters being killed off, neglect and abandonment, and endings where the bad guy wins. I liked how Pokemon Special pushed the envelope on certain content while at the same time having a family-friendly appeal.

The first chapter I read from Pokemon Special is the Emerald arc. At the time, I was interested in the Battle Frontier and it's characters, particularly Salon Maiden Anabel. In the anime, Anabel is portrayed as a cheerful, good girl with a crush on Ash. Here, Anabel is more of a dead serious, somewhat, crueler character that is closer to her video game counterpart. I know it's strange but whenever my favorite characters reappear in a future chapter, that's when I start reading Pokemon Special.
Honestly I think your taking it a little too far in the darker angle. I describe Anabel as someone who is more calculating than cruel. Honestly, I think the dark and mature content is not so different from something like Star Wars or Harry Potter. However I get what your saying. I remember this one time...

...how the original Adventures crew was frozen as statues. A lot of Pokemon fans at the time actually grew worried as the story arc finished. This wasn't like the anime that had a consistent short schedule, this was a manga with a monthly release schedule and even then if fans wanted to find out they have to wait for not a round/chapter but an entirely new story arc. By the time the Emerald Arc hit guess what? Pokemon fans were still worried. New protagonist, Emerald, shows up, entirely new location the Battle Frontier, seemingly entirely new storyline, everything seems fresh and unrelated to the FRLG ending at first, fans were excited for another round of Pokemon Adventures but at the same time also greatly impatient and curiously worried what was the fate of the original Pokedex holders. By the time there fate was revealed and they were freed, I looked in a few discussions and comment sections here and I saw a lot of fans stating how happy they were, one person claiming it left them with tears of joy. Lots of intense emotions, action, one huge family reunion with the first three generation of Pokedex holders working together to fight against one giant behemoth. Honestly I haven't seen so many fans express that much worry and joy over any Pokemon content. No joke.

Lots of memories over those two arcs.

Last edited:

XY&Z Legend

Just chillin
My apologies about that comment with Anabel. Sure, she was a calculating person who is always the one making the plan and following through with it. At the same time, she can also come off as an icy person, such as the time she looked down on Emerald the first time they met.

Besides the Pokedex holders being turned to statues, we now have Black stuck in the Light Stone by Ghetsis, and Lysandre (& Malva) dead at the end of the X&Y saga. Though I understand how Pokemon Special isn’t as dark compared to Star Wars, Harry Potter, or other edgier properties, the things we saw in this manga shows it's not afraid to get serious.

shoz999

My apologies about that comment with Anabel. Sure, she was a calculating person who is always the one making the plan and following through with it. At the same time, she can also come off as an icy person, such as the time she looked down on Emerald the first time they met.

Besides the Pokedex holders being turned to statues, we now have Black stuck in the Light Stone by Ghetsis, and Lysandre (& Malva) dead at the end of the X&Y saga. Though I understand how Pokemon Special isn’t as dark compared to Star Wars, Harry Potter, or other edgier properties, the things we saw in this manga shows it's not afraid to get serious.
True. One huge difference between the anime and the manga, is that the writer of Adventures really knows how to keep people in suspense.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Ehh it is more like Pokemon anime show lead me to read Pokemon special manga in first place and i was 10 years old at time and was pretty much confusing about Red & Green for Ash (Satoshi) and Gary (Shigur) and i did like battle and it is had more a plot than the Pokemon anime did at time during Johto arc in the anime .

But i am not huge fan of gym leaders beings a villains or lance and his four king during the event of Pokemon yellow
And i hate professor oak in this universe for whole big deal with dex owners stuff......
But i like the manga overalls!

Please don't be offense for what i said ok ?

Thank
Redstar45 .

Last edited:

shoz999

Ehh it is more like Pokemon anime show lead me to read Pokemon special manga in first place and i was 10 years old at time and was pretty much confusing about Red & Green for Ash (Satoshi) and Gary (Shigur) and i did like battle and it is had more a plot than the Pokemon anime did at time during Johto arc in the anime .

But i am not huge fan of gym leaders beings a villains or lance and his four king during the event of Pokemon yellow
And i hate professor oak in this universe for whole big deal with dex owners stuff......
But i like the manga overalls!

Please don't be offense for what i said ok ?

Thank
Redstar45 .
I am offended sir! I challenge you to a children's turn-based video game! lol. I kid, I kid. To be honest I thought it was a bit odd at first that the gym leaders and elite four were villains as a kid as well but now looking back at it... it's pretty compelling how the Gym Leaders work for Team Rocket and later on they get redeemed over the series. Also I think Prof. Oak is awesome here, he's a former Pokemon Champion! So exciting! As for the Pokedex owner stuff, honestly I think the importance of the Pokedex's capabilities and how some villains, like Team Rocket, are willing to steal it makes far more logical sense than stealing Pikachu.

As for the Pokemon Yellow Arc, that would MAKE ONE HELL OF A ANIMATED MOVIE! I already got the perfect title in mind! Imagine this picture below as the movie poster and the title said...
Introducing... Pokemon Adventures Yellow - WORLD'S STRONGEST! You get a movie trailer featuring all sorts of action scenes of Kanto's strongest trainers and at the end you see Blaine saying, "DO IT NOW MEWTWO!" and the camera pans to an injured Mewtwo zooming past the snowy cold terrain of the island, at least that's how I envisioned it, leaving behind an array of snow as his fist collides with Dragonite's fist, Lance's Dragonite grits his teeth hard, trading blows in the gut, face and chest! That would be so freaking awesome! And what do you see in the credits? Satoshi Tajiri is personally producing this movie, a hint that this is not going to be like the other legendary marketing cash-ins. Also the picture below would make a great movie poster!

Agatha_Arbok_Adventures_cover.png

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
....i see .......but not wanted to destroy your hope and wish ......but it would not happened any time soon .

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
As much as I wanted to see an adaptation of Pokemon Adventures this is most likely not going to happen given that from what I have heard this manga is more popular in the West while the most popular Pokemon manga in Japan is Pokemon Pocket Monsters and that one also doesn't have its own adaptation either. Making an anime series based on Pokemon Adventures as much as its pains me is most likely not going to be all that much profitable to them.

Moni_22

Well... I don't really remember, it's been so long. I was in a small forum of Pokémon, and someone posted Spanish translations of the chapters (it wasn't officially translated then). I didn't really read many manga back then (contrary to now) but it picked my interest to read a different story about Pokémon, so I started from the beginning.

I have to say that at that time I was much younger so I didn't pay much attention to the details of the story and characters, but I enjoyed it. Back then the GSC saga was my favourite, it took me a little while until I read the RS saga. I think I jumped into the FRLG saga first since I was more interested in that. It was a little mess to go back to the RS saga to then read the Emerald saga. I didn't enjoy those as much as the others, I know the RS saga is one of the most popular ones but I don't enjoy it as much, it's just personal preference. Anyhow, I thought the DP saga was very long but I really conected with the main cast. Platinum saga was ok, as well as the HGSS saga.

It was with the BW arc that I started to really like Pokémon Special. When the BW games came out, it became my favourite main Pokémon game, and so I was very excited for the manga adaptation. It was really enjoyable to me to see my favourite moments in the game and characters and Pokémon... It was then that I started to reread the previous sagas and to pay more attention. I started to respect Pokémon Special more and to see what was so great about it. This was the saga that I bought first when it came out in my country.

Since then I've been trying to follow the new chapters of the manga: BW, BW2, XY, ORAS and now SM. I'm one of the people who's been waiting from the beginning with BW2 and it really hurts... we are so close but so far away from the ending. Unfortunately I didn't pay much attention to XY, but I want to read it entirely one of these days. SM saga is ok, I dislike how it's going so fast, I would have prefered a more adventure-like saga like BW but it's fine, at least it's different from the game and I wanna see what it plans to do now.

Pokémon Special is definitely my favourite Pokémon manga and my favourite Pokémon adaptation from the games. I really wish it was more well known, but luckily it's been translated officially more and more these past few years and more people have been reading it. It deserves its popularity

e9310103838

As much as I wanted to see an adaptation of Pokemon Adventures this is most likely not going to happen given that from what I have heard this manga is more popular in the West while the most popular Pokemon manga in Japan is Pokemon Pocket Monsters and that one also doesn't have its own adaptation either. Making an anime series based on Pokemon Adventures as much as its pains me is most likely not going to be all that much profitable to them.

Pokemon Adventures is also the most popular Pokemon manga in Japan. Pokemon Pocket Monsters is just a symbol of the first Pokemon manga now. ;)

Lucky3

It was a long time ago. I was reading something (I think it was Naruto, but I don't really remember. Didn't really read much else those days) in one of those sketchy manga scanlation sites. I saw an update for Pokemon Special, and I thought 'Wait, there's a Pokemon manga? I love Pokemon, I should check it out'. So I read everything that was avaliable at the time (up to the middle of DP) and I aboslutely loved it. Eventually, I forgot about it due to not knowing about the release schedule. I randomly got back into it a couple years ago and caught up to BW. At this point I was reading everything in Spanish, and the few last chapters of the arc hadn't been translated yet, so I thought 'Wait a minute, I know English, I should see if there are English versions of the chapters'. And sure enough, I found them (it wasn't easy, though). I was able to read everything up to the beginning of BW2, and found this forum was one of the few places where I could get info on the then-current arcs (XY and ORAS).

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
For years, I have been reading comics. When my local comic shop expanded its selection to manga, I saw RS and picked it up and read it. I enjoyed it because it was very much a character driven arc. Up until that point, I've followed the anime, but I couldn't exactly bring myself to like Ash Ketchum because of how his story never seemed to get a falling action or a resolution. With PokeSpe, I got a story with a character I can cheer for.

ellifeedn

Thinker
I probably have the weirdest introduction to Pokemon Adventures. I first learned of and got into Adventures from reading the summaries of the chapters on the Serebii site. I was captivated by this Pokemon story that was different from the anime, and the fan made game screens of the chapters was a cute thing that I'm sad didn't continue. It wasn't until I think a year later during the Emerald arc that I finally learned that it was a comic series and I read the scans on some dragon website. And then I came to these forums to experience the D/P arc in real time.

LexKitteh

Hey everyone, long time visitor, new poster. Has been fun reading everyone's introduction to the series, some from long ago, some from recently. I've been a fan of this series for quite a while now! It must have been around 10 (!?) years ago that I was browsing Kinokuniya Bookstores here in Portland, and came across a Pokemon manga with Leaf on the cover! (PokeSpe, Vol 25) I was so surprised to see it, I picked it up and looked through it that night. What a volume to start on! I saw Mewtwo and Deoxys brutal battle, with Mewtwo being impaled and seemingly near-death. I was surprised and excited to see a series within the franchise where the stakes were higher, and where the story followed the actual protagonists of the game. I'd become very bored and frustrated with the anime's "same-old same-old" story many years ago, and was excited to find a Pokemon series that could keep me interested and had a plot that continued to develop. I then bought Vol 16 based on the cover, as R/S was my favorite gen. I eventually got 15, and read through the R/S series proper, using my minimal Japanese knowledge, dictionaries, and Coronis' summaries on Serebii. This was all before Viz began releasing English versions of more recent volumes. I thought this series would never make it to the US (especially RS, with a somewhat girly and flamboyant male protagonist, and the violence his father showed towards him) so I bought as many volumes as I could! The series was at the Emerald arc at that time.

I really loved reading through Ruby's story, and how he wanted to accomplish the dream that meant so much to him, even though nobody else really cared or was rooting for him to do so. He was doing it for himself! And although he was kind of a selfish jerk who only cared about surface-level things in the beginning, I really liked seeing his character progression and story arc. And of course, Sapphire was a strong character as well, the complete opposite of her anime counterpart (May) and basically every female teammate in the show, she was actually strong and determined, and wanted to use that strength to protect those important to her. Then of course, another highlight for me was how dark the ending of this chapter began to become, with some serious heart-wrenching moments for the main characters.

FireRed LeafGreen would have to be my next favorite chapter. I was greatly surprised to see time had passed, and Red & co were now actually teenagers!! (something the anime still refuses to allow) Pokemon had always been pretty important to me, I've played them *all* since Red/Blue, so I was stoked to find this series. Since then I've awaited each volume and bought the Japanese copies. Haha, I have volumes 1-52, plus many of the mini-volumes that have been released since then.

Anyway, what I love about PokeSpe are the strong-willed characters, the fact that there are strong female characters as well, such as Crystal and Sapphire, the personal growth and development of its characters, and the high-stakes feel of the storyline. I also like how they subvert typical character tropes often, and try to create protagonists that are unique and distinct, instead of them all wanting to beat the gym leaders, or following the same single person the whole series.

This series has actually meant a lot to me over the years. I'm glad that with the English release of it (even with the all the censorship...) its been able to reach a wider audience! Thanks for taking the time to read my opinion! :3

shoz999

I probably have the weirdest introduction to Pokemon Adventures. I first learned of and got into Adventures from reading the summaries of the chapters on the Serebii site. I was captivated by this Pokemon story that was different from the anime, and the fan made game screens of the chapters was a cute thing that I'm sad didn't continue. It wasn't until I think a year later during the Emerald arc that I finally learned that it was a comic series and I read the scans on some dragon website. And then I came to these forums to experience the D/P arc in real time.
Actually that's how I found out about the Pokemon Adventures manga myself, through the Serebii site. Although it looks like the manga section hasn't been updated in a while, such as the character bios, it's still a great source of information and intrigue for anyone who wants to read Pokemon Adventures. I too was intrigued by the summaries and plots, especially how many of the chapters were labeled as Vs. "insert Pokemon". I liked how Serebii.net easily categorizes much of the information of the manga that it's easy to keep things track of. I also liked how many of the game-sprites of the Pokedex Holders resemble closely to that of the protagonists of the games. I also noticed some that felt odd in a good way, more specifically how freaking tall Briney and the Mask of Ice were. They look like two character sprites combined together lol. I am of course talking about the original character bios years before the detailed bios came out.

The link - https://www.serebii.net/manga/characters/

I still kind of liked the original character bios though as it featured a lot of supporting characters and villains integral to the manga's story. I hope one day Serebii makes an entirely new up-to-date Characterdex. There's just so many interesting supporting characters and villains now to simply leave out in a potential manga encyclopedia. Talking about the original character bios section makes me feel old lol.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Greetings. I am Shadao (or if that name is somehow taken, Rex-Shadao) and my history with the Pokémon Adventures is a rather complicated one. First time I ever knew that such a manga existed was on Serebii here, back when I was lurking, with all the profiles and brief descriptions of the chapters. I was a young kid back then, impressionable and prone to be persuaded by whatever was the popular opinion. I've learned a lot since then, and I am not so keen to remember my days in 2000s. My time with Pokémon has always been ups and downs, but I mostly stick with the anime and later the games. I never really got into the manga, especially Pokémon Adventures, mainly because I did not know where to start.

What did stood out to me was the massive popularity I heard from older fans, and the touting that Pokémon "Special" (yes, I make that distinction cause back then, I don't recall anyone using Adventures) is better than the anime because it has gore and violence (namely Arbok). Since I have played my first true Pokémon game, Diamond, around that time, I always found that claim to be excessive. Can Pokémon be darker? Yes, but it doesn't have to be bloody to do so. What's even worse is that the darker and bloodier aspect of Special is conflated with Satoshi Tajiri's quote of Adventures "being the closest to his vision of the Pokémon World." It felt strange to me as the Pokémon games were more akin to the anime in terms of style and stakes. The games were more about adventure and exploration than Shonēn superhero anime. With that said, the pressure of the more edgy Special did influence my perspective on the DP anime saga, namely that it's a lot darker in tone compare to AG and even OS.

The only other major thing that stood out was the whole praising of Red, touted as being better than Ash, that Red is completely different from Ash, or that he was exactly the same Red from the games, with Espeon in the G/S Red Boss fight being proof enough. At first glance, it seems like Red was indeed the aging badass teenager that puts Ash to shame, even rocking out a new FRLG outfit (that looks better on him than the actual FRLG Red) that Ash didn't get to wear. But when I read a few chapters of Red and Blue, I notice Red acts more like Ash. Hot-blooded, arrogant, using a stubborn Pikachu to take out a Rock/Ground type Onix. Keep in mind, I did not have full volumes at hand yet, so I was really confused by the chronology of the chapters as well as the fact that the chapters themselves did not seem to be the famed fight Team Rocket in epic battle with the world at stake. Just random slice of life episodes that you would find in the anime. The suspicious reached a tipping point for me when it's revealed that HG/SS Red has a Pikachu that has the exact same moveset as Ash's Pikachu in DP, and replaced Espeon (that Ash doesn't have) with Lapras (a Pokémon that Ash does have in the Orange Islands). Suddenly the myth of Red being the same game Red is shattered for me. This will be important later on.

I fell out of the Pokémon anime after the Team Rocket vs Team Plasma arc failed to manifest due to the earthquake. I occasionally checked to see if that arc would be reexplored but it was never really fullfied. Not even with Episode N. It's also around the time I started to broaden my video game tastes with Nintendo and discover Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, etc. Which gave me new perspectives of the gaming world, perspectives that help me to think for myself. I did not truly go back to Pokémon until the first 3D Pokémon games, X and Y, were announced. Immediately following afterward was the announcement of the XY anime series, and the release of Ash Ketchum in his new Kalos outfit... which looks like Special Red's FRLG outfit only in blue. To make a long story short, I was fascinated by the design and ended up meeting a big Red/Ash fan who pointed that not only was Ash and Red the same character, but that there far more incarnations of Red that I haven't heard of. Upon seeing them, I noticed that they all share similar personality traits. Namely hot-blooded temper and full energy. Something that was never really emphasized by the Special crowd for Red.

Curious about Satosh Tajiri's quote again, I decided to take seriously look into the Pokémon Adventures series starting with RBGY arc. I managed to acquire the first three volumes and read them extensively. Unlike most people here, I read it from the perspective of a critic. Someone who no longer buys into the the hype that fans made for Adventures, and simply judges what is in the pages and the context of the time it was made. It helped me understand where the anime and manga truly differ from one another and where they share the same DNA.

As a little sample of what I mean, take the violence and adult humor. While the violence and adult humor in Adventures are certainly more explicit compared to the anime, it's really as dark and edgy as people make it out to be. Certainly intense, but then you realize there was a time where the Pokémon anime was liberal in use of violence, such as Ash imagining Metapod being cracked in half, the Spearow attack and of course, the guns. The violence began to tone down for the anime when it was known that it would be exported to America. Also note that comic books are much more tolerable with violence and gore than with TV shows (look at modern Batman comics and compare them to the TV series. Even Batman The Animated Series wasn't as bloody as the comics, and that's saying something).

Anyways, all this writing is making me tired. These are current thoughts for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.