• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Investigation #1: Why does Zelda have so many more fans than Metroid?

Kabuto

little punks!
Zelda and Metroid are somewhat similar series, both with action and exploration elements. Don't believe me?

- Both have gigantic worlds to explore
- Both have lock on targeting and quick weapon selection (In 3D games)
- Both have bosses that tower over the protagonist and require strategy
- Both have puzzles to solve (moreso in Prime than 2D metroid though)
- Both have bombs that break walls
- Both have freezing weapons (Ice Rod/Arrows, Ice Beam)
- Both have equipment required to get through heated sections (Red Tunic, Varia Suit)

Obviously it can't just be gameplay that is the factor in the sales. Let's look at more, shall we?

1) Atmosphere. Zelda has fantasy settings, NPC's, and swords. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi4QVN_8y4g Metroid has more of a space isolated Sci fi setting with heavy artillery.

2) Zelda probably got more advertising

3) Metroid was not around when gaming started to become more mainstream. Zelda had 2 64 games, Metroid had 0. Also, GameCube didn't sell too well, so not everyone played Prime. Many played Cube for Melee, Samus being the robot dude

4) Metroid has more platforming, Zelda has more RPG elements

Otherwise, I can't find many more differences between the two series. They have a surprisingly similar structure to them, despite looking drastically different on the surface.

Last edited:

BCVM22

10 distinct Metroid titles, including spinoffs and remakes like Hunters, Pinball and Zero Mission. 14 distinct Zelda titles, not including ports and side titles. Metroid had no presence on the Game Boy Color or the N64. Zelda has at least one core-gameplay title on every Nintendo hardware (Virtual Boy notwithstanding) since the NES.

There you go. You did all that investigation when the logical answer was only two minutes on Wikipedia away.

Last edited:

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Fans seem to like the Fantasy elements that are in Zelda, and so would I. And, I've honestly never been a fan of Metroid. But Zelda, oh so yes.

Zelda has gotten a lot of good responses from it's current 13 games, and their 14th one will hopefully get the same.

NinjaBaker

I have never bought a Zelda game (I rented one for my N64 back in the day though, I rented majoras mask) but Im thinking of buying phantom hourglass for the DS but I have never put any interest in the Metroid series, I guess Zelda just has more qualities that attract the nintendo audience.

;munchlax;

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
While Metroid games are almost always great, another reason to why the series has less fame than Zelda is that it's not nearly character based to the same extent. Metroid has very few characters. There's Samus, Ridley, Mother Brain, Kraid, uh... Dark Samus. Other than Samus it's all just monsters with no dialouge. But that's what the series goes for. That makes it great. If any Metroid fan heard Ridley say something like "We will rule the galaxy!! Snarl!" they'd facepalm. But what about the small group of freedom fighters in Prime 3? They're not even close to being as iconic as Zelda character such as Malon, Navi, or... ugh, even Tingle. But what was there even in Prime 3? The 3 hunters, General-Commander-Whatever with a funny hat, and SHUTTHEHECKUPIKNOWHOWTOUSEHYPERMODE girl.
Zelda just simply has more characters. and that gives way for a much larger community. Fan art, fan parodies, fan fiction, comics, games, cosplay, it creates much wider options. (Even though Metroid has all this, it's not at the same extent.)
Don't get me wrong, I love both series, I'm just answering your question.

jellsprout

Answer 1: Metroid had no games for the N64 and Game Boy Color. Most of the current gamers know Samus from the Smash series. Zelda on the other hand had its prime during that era.
Answer 2: Metroid focusses on atmosphere and gameplay, Zelda focusses on story. The fans prefer story.

cascade88

< go ask alice >
I think it's that people, in the end, prefer the story and the RPG elements of LoZ as opposed to Metroid. It's probably just as simple as that.

Zora

perpetually tired
Zelda is a multi-million seller. Metroid games rarely break a million. In short: Zelda had better commercial success. Not to mention everything else the people have said.

Cobalt_Latios

Answer 2: Metroid focusses on atmosphere and gameplay, Zelda focusses on story. The fans prefer story.
And here I thought that with all the mindless shooting/action in recent games on other consoles, Metroid would be a sure fire hit[/sarcasm].

I think it's the somewhat obscurity of the games that gives it less fans. The fact that it's high was at least 14-16 years ago on the SNES, and that Metroid Prime was one of the few games to really bring the series back.

Metroid is a great series, although, the fact that it's a very linear story (minus actual "dialogue") does make for a confusing run.

*C_L*

PDL

disenchanted
Zelda has more characters that fans can wank over. Metroid only has Samus, and only when she takes her helmet off.

fhqwhgads

Just because Pit doesn't shoot bullets doesn't make him any less BA!

Penguinist Trainer

I think the only reason there are more Zelda fans is because there has always been a steady stream of Zelda games, where Metroid fans are typically left crossing their fingers.

Metroid was the 1st NES game I ever got, and I've been hooked on the series since. I love the Zelda series, but I played Metroid 1st, so Samus wins in my book.

Personally, I thought Metroid Prime was the greatest in the series, mainly because of the scan visor. I loved being absorbed into the world and finding all the lore and creatures.

Kabuto

little punks!
More like why does Metroid have more fans than Kid Icarus even though they were on the same engine and came out the same day?

Just because Pit doesn't shoot bullets doesn't make him any less BA!

Mainly because a robotic looking thing is generally cooler than a little boy angel. That, and the game was more linear.

Zelda receives much more advertising than the Metroid Series. Also, Zelda games have typically been easier and more accessible. In addition, high fantasy has always been more popular, and more child friendly, than science fiction.

I'm not that much of a Zelda fan, but I love the Metroid series.

Silverwing

Sea Ruby Trainer
People already said this, but Zelda has had more games on more systems so it is more widespread to the gaming community. But the reason I don't like Metroid is because of the backtracking. I hate backtracking and can't stand it.

Pikachu78

Spider-Dan
Well Zelda has been going on for longer and the first Metroid game wasn't very poular because of the likes of Zelda and Mario. Plus the hugely popular Metroid Prime series has finished now and there are loads of different storys for Zelda. Metroid has a lot of backtracking as well.

M_rock

Well actually before playing metroid prime 3 I was more a Zelda fan, but it's true metroid is as good as zelda. Maybe even better, cause I think twilight princess wasn't very original. There was no magic :(

Kabutopzilla

En Prócsem

While the fact that The Legend of Zelda titles focus more on story is true in every way, Metroid has somewhat of a "hidden story" that it takes effort to figure out. People who prefer story and never gave Metroid much of a chance likely are too lazy to try and learn the "hidden story" Metroid holds the hard way.

And keep in mind that the following statement was not made simply because I think Metroid is the best game series ever to grace planet Earth and shall never be matched:

Metroid's "hidden story" is s**tloads better than any of the Zelda games' stories. Especially when you figure out how each Metroid game connects to its timeline predecessor and successor.

Well Zelda has been going on for longer

You may wish to re-think this, sir.

The first Metroid game was released in 1986. The first Zelda game was released one to two years later. Brawl's All-Star Mode has it all wrong, people.

and the first Metroid game wasn't very poular because of the likes of Zelda and Mario.

Mario at first, but Zelda wasn't out yet.

Metroid has a lot of backtracking as well.

Backtracking is a good thing. It allows you to get vital items in an area you've already explored and thus force you to explore that area further in ways you've probably never thought of if you never played the game before. This also opens up possibilities for sequence-breaking, or performing abnormal tricks to get some expansions or items before you're supposed to. Major example: Mockball to get Super Missile before you ever have to fight Spore Spawn in Super Metroid, thus making Spore Spawn an unnecessary boss for you in that run.

Well actually before playing metroid prime 3 I was more a Zelda fan, but it's true metroid is as good as zelda. Maybe even better, cause I think twilight princess wasn't very original. There was no magic :(

I enjoyed Twilight Princess. :/

And of course you use Prime 3 as your deciding factor as to whether or not you love Metroid. Prime 3 is the most overrated game in the series. Everyone says its their favorite Metroid game to try and get along with the other fans, but ironically its the only Metroid game on a console that nearly everyone owns thus has access to the game.

Prime 2 was way better. Quadraxis is the most epic boss in all of video gaming history, and no one can say anything to beg to differ. Because almost no one here has played that game, just the horribly overrated Prime 3.

Anyway.

As people who know me well know, I am very defensive for the Metroid series, especially when it is being compared to a game series that is ultimately not as good as Metroid even when it is more popular and holds the acclaimed "best game of all time", so these next few statements are likely to be biased.

.emit lla fo ssob tseb eht sah diorteM tub ,emit lla fo emag tseb eht evah yam adleZ fo dnegeL ehT

Zelda is more popular, as said, because fantasy attracts all of the fangirls. Fangirls LOVE fantasy, plain as that. Many boys too. And Zelda has *gasp* developed/ing characters throughout each game! So fangirls absolutely MUST write pairing fanfics about the most ridiculous couple. The ridiculous outcome number of these fanfics covers the entire Internet with the enormous Zelda fanbase, which makes the Metroid fanbase look like...nothing, really. Thus, such a thing makes Zelda have a much bigger following than the retteb ylsuoivbo Metroid series. Thus, Zelda is more popular, and has more fans.

And that is my perspective. Who knew Zelda is more popular than Metroid because it has more characters to have fantasies about? *everyone raises their hand* .lacirotehr saw tahT

Penguinist Trainer

I don't know how people can say backtracking is a flaw in Metroid. Look at the Zelda games, especially the original...

Are you telling me that not one person who has played that game has ever gone over the same screen more than once?!?!

And Seriously, Prime 3 is being called the best Metroid game. That is definitely the most over-rated game. I'm not saying it's not fun, but the greatest in the series, I think not. The only really new thing Prime 3 has is motion controls.

What about Prime 1 for 1st bringing Samus to a 3D world? Or how about Prime 2 for the variations of the light and dark worlds? Or Super Metroid for giving us things like the Xray Visor and just being such a great game. Or maybe even the ORIGINAL game...you know that one that started it all with great gameplay, music, and the fact that it shows a GIRL can kick butt as well. There's no question Prime 3 is a good game, but just because everyone has played it doesn't make it the best.