• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Invisible - [Contestshipping AU]

Angelique

transcending love~
A/N: Yep, as the title says, this is a Contestshipping AU set at a modern day high school. The fic is PG-12/PG-13, with a high dosage of fluff and sarcasm, so if you don't like it, leave. It's set at a Pallet Town in a universe where Pokemon don't exist, and there are two different high schools there - Pallet East and Dunkirk Preparatory, so yeah.

Oh, and Misty and Drew are cousins in this, BTW.

Here we go!

Chapter One: Insulting Frauds​

The bell rang, signaling freedom for all the students in the school. Almost all of them, that is. A few unlucky souls had to stay for detention. However, Drew Rose was not one of those people. He was unlucky in his own special way.

As soon as the teacher dismissed his class he grabbed his things and fled the coup. He was in a particular hurry today for one horrifying reason.

“Drew!”

“Oh no,” Drew muttered and walked faster, making sure to keep his eyes trained on the floor.

“Drew Rose, don’t you dare run away from me!”

By now Drew was practically sprinting to the door that was standing between him and his freedom. He had almost made it when a strong arm reached out and grabbed his shirt. The sudden change in direction caused him to stumble but he somehow managed to keep from falling. As soon as he was able to compose himself he turned to glare at his cousin. Misty Waterflower simply smirked and tossed a long glossy strand of red hair out of her face.

“You forget, dear cousin, that I’m just as fast a runner as you are when I want to be.”

“I didn’t forget.” Drew turned away. “I just thought that the will to get away would somehow make my legs go faster.”

As expected, Misty punched him on the arm for his smartass remark. “You thought wrong.” She brought her hand up to tap on her temple. “Or maybe my will to get to you was stronger than your will to get away. After all, you promised.”

“I know.” Drew raised his arms in the universal sign of surrender. “But it was worth a try, right?”

“You just wasted both of our time,” Misty said melodramatically, making him chuckle. “To think that I’m not going to get to see my favorite cousin for a whole week! Besides, a little trip to a psychic isn’t going to kill you.” She looked at him pointedly. “But I might.”

That was his cue to give in. Misty grabbed his backpack off the floor and together they began the short trek to the psychic shop that she had been dying to go to for some time now. Although she had been wheedling him for months, only recently had she been able to convince Drew to go with her.

The two of them had always been close. They were the youngest in the family so they naturally gravitated towards each other. Misty was one of the few people that Drew even bothered to talk to and she was certainly the most… energetic.

Spring Break had finally arrived. Drew was looking forward to rest and relaxation while Misty was going out of town with her sisters and his mother. Drew was originally supposed to go with them since he would be left at home alone, but his mother relented. He was sixteen now, after all. It was a good thing too, in Drew’s opinion. He wasn’t sure if he could handle spending a week stuck in some hotel with his mother, three boy-crazy cousins, and Misty. Perhaps his threat of jumping off the hotel roof had something to do with his mother’s change of heart.

That was actually why he was in his current predicament. Misty guilted him into it by talking about how much she would miss him. Even though Drew knew it was a trick to get him to do something, he fell for it. And now here he stood looking up at the lamely named Love’s Future Psychic House. He groaned loudly.

Misty on the other hand, beamed up at the neon sign before bounding inside, leaving him to follow. It smelled strangely musty and was dark inside, save for a few strategically placed lamps.

It was no doubt in need of a good scrub down, Drew thought disdainfully. He had never been very fond of messes. Maybe living with five women had something to do with that. Either way, he couldn’t wait to get out of the place.

Wasting no time, Misty walked up to the clerk and smiled. “Hi, I’m Misty Waterflower. I have an appointment for four o’clock.”

The slightly older girl looked down at her schedule book before nodding and pointing at a door decorated with fabric and beads. “Madam Jessie LaBelle will see you now.”

Drew snorted and received withering glances from both Misty and the clerk. He didn’t care. Madam Jessie LaBelle? That name was just screaming fraud in his humble opinion.

Not voicing his thoughts aloud, he pretended to cough and gestured for Misty to go ahead. His cousin rolled her eyes before grabbing his wrist and dragging him with her.

The next room was even darker than the lobby and was only lit with a few candles. The scented candles almost covered it, but Drew was pretty sure that he could smell old smoke, probably from cigarettes. He cringed. In the center of the room was a small round table (thankfully with no crystal ball on it) and two chairs meant for the visitors. A third chair was occupied by a woman who looked to be in her mid-thirties. She wasn’t ugly but she was wearing too much eye makeup. She had her long, mauved red hair pulled out of her face by a piece of cloth, exposing her large hoop earrings. When she lifted her arm to motion at the chairs Drew could see that she wore many rings and bracelets that clinked together when she moved.

Misty plopped down on a chair and told Drew to do likewise.

“You’re Misty?” Madam Jessie asked, looking at Misty. Drew was sorely tempted to say ‘No. I am’ but he restrained himself.

At his cousin’s nod, Madam Jessie smiled slightly and asked, “What is it that you want to know about your future?”

“Well…” Misty sat back in her chair, deep in thought. “I heard that you specialized in love fortunes. I guess that’s as good as anything else.”

Drew suppressed his amusement. Sure that was a spur of the moment choice. He was willing to bet all of his saved allowance that a love fortune was the only thing she ever intended to get.

Madam Jessie nodded before taking Misty’s hands in her own and shutting her eyes. She murmured softly under her breath, occasionally squeezing Misty’s hands and running her fingers along the lines in her palm. She reopened her heavily painted lids at last and said, “You will meet someone very soon. You will develop very strong feelings for each other. In the end, it may work out or it may not. You must understand that that reading futures is a very uncertain thing. Still, I see great potential for you and this boy.”

Drew looked out of the corner of his eye to see if his cousin was buying any of this bull.

“Really?” Misty asked breathlessly. Apparently she was buying it. “What does he look like? How do I meet him?”

“He will have hair the color of burnished ebony and eyes the color of the scintillating amber. When you meet him, you will not be at your best. You’ll be drenched and unhappy.”

Drew snorted loudly, wanting to be heard. He just couldn’t stay quiet this time. Madam Jessie and Misty both turned to look at him sharply.

“And just what is so amusing?” Misty demanded.

“Hair of ebony? Eyes of amber? Please!” Not only was it corny, something struck him as odd about ‘scintillating ebony’. If only he could put his finger on it…

Misty looked embarrassed at his outburst but Madam Jessie didn’t even bat an eye. “And just who might you be?”

Drew jerked his thumb in Misty’s direction. “I’m her cousin.”

“And do you not believe in fortune telling?”

“Not really. Especially for twenty bucks.”

She looked at him coolly. “Let me ask you something, young man. Do you believe in true love?”

Drew crossed his arms over his chest defiantly. “As a matter of fact, I don’t.”

Madam Jessie smiled softly, as if that was just the response she had been expecting. “That’s a shame. Perhaps your cynicism stems from the fact that your parents got a divorce shortly after you were born? Leaving your mother to take care of two children by herself?”

Drew was torn between shock and anger that she knew those things. Still, there had to be a reasonable explanation, he was sure.

“I don’t have to take this,” he said, rising to his feet. Misty winced at the angry scraping of chair against tile. “Especially not from a crackpot psychic.”

That comment finally seemed to penetrate Madam Jessie’s placid surface and her eyes narrowed. “That’s a hasty assumption,” she said dangerously.

“Uh huh. Sure. I’m going now, Misty. And by the way Madam Jessie LaButch,” Drew said her name mockingly, “you might want to go easier on the eye makeup. You might accidentally paint your eyes shut.”

Drew turned to exit but in a flash Madam Jessie was in his path, blocking the door. “You need a wake up call,” she said icily.

“You’re right. This little escapade has bored me to tears.” Drew tried to brush past her, but to no avail.

He watched, annoyed, as she shut her eyes and mumbled under her breath in hurried tones. She finished quickly and grinned at him like a shark. “The next time you wake up your life is going to be turned upside down. I would give you a bit of advice but I think you can have fun trying to figure it our on your own, smartass.”

“Okay,” Drew mocked. “Now would you move?”

When she finally got out of his way Drew grabbed his stuff and walked out the door, Misty at his heels.

Before Misty left the room she turned around to face Madam Jessie. “I’m so sorry about this. I hope you can forgive us.”

“Don’t worry about it, dear. You’re welcome back any time. And good luck with your future encounter!”

Misty nodded and left before any more could be said. Alone in the room, a smirk slowly slid across Madam Jessie’s face. Despite the fact that he had never told her his name she murmured, “Good luck, Drew.”

Later that night, Drew sat in his living room reading and munching on a bag of chips. The house was the quietest it had ever been. Shortly after he and Misty left the psychic house, his family had to rush to catch their plane. Now he had the whole week to do blissfully nothing.

He was technically supposed to go to school the next day but his mother had called the main office and lied that he was going on vacation. It was pointless to go to school on the Friday before Spring Break anyways. They were just going to be watching movies in all of his classes.

He scowled when he remembered the encounter with the psychic. “What a crock of baloney,” he mumbled, setting his snacks aside. It really had been a long day. He knew he should get undressed and go to his bed, but the task just seemed too daunting. The events of the day took their toll on him and he fell into a restless sleep on the sofa.

Unknown to him, that little bout of laziness was going to be the only bit of luck he would have in the next few days.

It was unusually bright when Drew woke up, even for the living room. He groggily cracked one eye open to look at his surroundings. Startled out of his wits, the other eye flew open.

“WHAT THE HELL?!” he cursed, jumping to his feet. This was definitely not his living room.

The familiar public park surrounded him on all sides and Drew thought he was going to have a heart attack. How did he get there? Had he developed a sleepwalking disorder? He gave himself a once over to make sure everything was intact. After a quick inspection, he came to the conclusion that he was okay physically.

It was lucky that he fell asleep fully clothed that night. That thought was quickly dismissed when he noticed that he was wearing his oldest sister’s fuzzy pink house slippers. He had put them on the night before to spite her, since she reminded him numerous times not to touch her stuff while she was gone. He sighed. They were a little too small but at least he wasn’t barefoot.

Oh well, he had bigger problems than fashion at the moment. Even in his confusion as to how he got to the park in the first place, he knew he needed to get home. He rose to his feet and started the walk back to his house.

Being in a hurry, he dodged around all the people in his way until he came upon a group taking up the whole sidewalk. Bushes were lining the walkway so there was no way to go around them.

“Excuse me,” Drew said patiently. When no one answered him he tried again. No answer. Figuring they just hadn’t heard him, he tapped one guy on the back. The guy whipped around and looked right past Drew.

“Is somebody there?”

Annoyance about to burst through the dam he had constructed, Drew waved his hand in front of the guy’s face. “Me. You’re in the way. Move.”

The guy just raised his eyebrows and turned around to join his friends. Through with being polite (or as close to being polite as he got) Drew just shoved a couple of the boys in the group out of his way. All of them looked thoroughly confused, but he didn’t have any time to hang around.

Turning his walk into a jog and then into a sprint, Drew was exhausted by the time he got to his house. He tried the front door but no luck. Of course the one time he actually remembered to lock the door had to be yesterday. He tried the back door but came up with the same results. Too bad his family didn’t leave a hidden key outside. By the time he checked all the windows he was extremely annoyed.

He realized in the back of his mind that if there was no way to get into the house, that meant there was no way to get out. That brought up the question – then how did he manage to get outside? But he ignored it. There were some things he really didn’t want to think about just yet.

His whole family was out of town so there was no one he could call to help him out. He was stuck. There was no other way in. Unless…

Deciding that there was really no other choice, Drew grabbed a rock and hurled it at the nearest window. It didn’t even make a noise when the stone connected to the glass. Confused, Drew tried again and again. The window didn’t even crack. Out of growing frustration, he banged his fists against the window. Nothing happened. No matter what he did, he couldn’t break the window. A string of obscenities left his mouth that would have made a sailor gasp in outrage.

Feeling drained of energy he sank down to his knees in the grass. What was going on? It was at that moment that another disturbing thought occurred to him. Had those boys in the park… not been able to see him?!

He knew it was a ridiculous thought, but still… realization dawned on him. The psychic! He didn’t know how, but he knew that she had something to do with this. In a flash he was on his feet and running as fast as he could in the direction of Love’s Future Psychic House.

Drew entered the all too familiar lobby and glared at the clerk. She was the same girl from the day before. “I was here yesterday. Can I talk to Madam Jessie?” The girl didn’t say anything and continued to smack her gum and file her nails. A cold dread settled in the pit of his stomach. She couldn’t see him either. “Damn it, listen to me!” Dread boiling over, he slammed his fists down right in front of her.

The girl looked up, wide-eyed, and whipped her head in every direction, trying to see the culprit. Drew groaned and stomped over to the room where he knew Madam Jessie was hiding. When he tried the doorknob it was locked so he just pounded on the door. The clerk let out a shriek and ducked for cover.

Drew was just preparing to kick the door down when it swung open. At the sight of Madam Jessie’s over painted face, he wanted to pound her into the ground. “You!” he sputtered, not caring if she could see him or not. “I don’t know how you did this, but I know it was you! I can’t get into my house and no one can see me! What the hell did you do to me?!”

Instead of looking around in confusion, her gaze went directly to Drew. “Please my little twerp, settle down and come inside.” Startled into silence, Drew obeyed. “Have a seat.” He eyed her wearily. Madam Jessie just smirked. “We have all the time in the world. Be difficult if you want, but you’re the one with the problem.”

Realizing that she was right, Drew sat down and glared at her.

“Now let’s get down to business, shall we?” Madam Jessie pulled out a deck of tarot cards and shuffling them like she was about to play poker. Drew eyed them nervously.

“What are those for?”

“Nothing. I just like having my hands occupied while I talk.”

Drew rolled his eyes but didn’t comment.

They sat in silence for a long time until Drew just couldn’t take it anymore. “Well, aren’t you going to fix it?”

“Fix it?” Madam Jessie asked blandly.

“Yes!”

She gave him a look that clearly meant he needed to calm down. “There’s nothing I can do.” She paused thoughtfully. “Well, there is, but I’m not going to do it.” She laughed at Drew’s incredulous expression. “Tell me, Drew, what makes you think I can do anything anyways? What was it you called me yesterday? A crack pot psychic?”

“I’m sorry,” Drew mumbled, losing the last shred of dignity that he had been able to hold onto.

“Yes, I would be too.”

Drew bit his tongue to keep from saying the things he knew would just make the whole situation worse. Madam Jessie gave him a knowing look, as if she could hear what he was thinking. Maybe she really could do things like read minds? He still doubted it. His facial expression was probably just a dead give away. The way his lips were pinched together, he was sure he looked like he had just eaten a lemon.

Madam Jessie’s smile widened. “Sorry twerp, but you need to figure out how to fix this on your own. It’s not my problem anymore.” She swiftly stood and pulled him to his feet. She was a lot stronger than she looked, Drew discovered. She managed to drag him out of her room, through the lobby, past the confused clerk, and out the front door.

“Nice slippers, by the way. You have fun now!” And with that, the door slammed shut and Drew’s hope evaporated.

It couldn’t have been too long after seven in the morning, but Drew was drained. After the event at Madam Jessie’s place he decided to return to where he woke up that morning, hoping against hope that there might be some clue as to how to get back to normal. But as luck would have it, there was nothing. Nada. Zilch.

He was annoyed, angry, frustrated, and tired. Not a good combination for the next person who happened to cross his path.

Drew was resting on a park bench when it happened. Some guy was walking with his face in a book and was about to sit on him. Quickly losing his temper, Drew kicked the back of the guy’s knees, causing him to fall to the ground. Once he was down, Drew grabbed his book and hurtled it as far away was possible. The guy scrambled to his feet and chased after the book, looking over his shoulder in fear. Seeing nothing was there frightened him even more and he hightailed it out of there.

Drew chuckled a little. At least this invisible thing had a few perks. He was about to lie back down but something caught his eye. A girl stood not too far away and was looking at the guy who was running away. She had short brown hair cut into an interesting style and was wearing a backpack and a uniform. She didn’t go to the same school as Drew, but he recognized her uniform. It was from Pallet East High or something like that, Misty’s school. When she turned to look in his direction he noticed she had bright eyes.

Hmm… pretty. He would have stared at her a bit longer but he had heavier things weighing on his mind at the moment.

Sighing, Drew lay down and shut his eyes. Maybe a quick nap would do the trick. Who knew? He could wake up and be back in his house. For all he knew, the whole morning could be a horrible nightmare. Just as he got comfortable, a shadow fell across his face. Great. Not another person trying to sit on him, he thought grouchily.

He cracked one eye open and saw the girl with brown hair. Now that she was so close, he could see that her eyes were a startling blue. She was standing over him with her arms akimbo and an angry expression on her face. He sat up slowly and her gaze followed him.

“That was mean,” she said. “What did he do to you?”

End of Chapter One

“I didn’t forget.” Drew turned away. “I just thought that the will to get away would somehow make my legs go faster.”

As expected, Misty punched him on the arm for his smartass remark. “You thought wrong.” She brought her hand up to tap on her temple. “Or maybe my will to get to you was stronger than your will to get away. After all, you promised.”

“I know.” Drew raised his arms in the universal sign of surrender. “But it was worth a try, right?”

“You just wasted both of our time,” Misty said melodramatically, making him chuckle. “To think that I’m not going to get to see my favorite cousin for a whole week! Besides, a little trip to a psychic isn’t going to kill you.” She looked at him pointedly. “But I might.”

lmao. I laughed SOOO hard at this part. XD

I'm realling liking this story, it has an interesting plot, and I can't wait to see where it goes.

:)

~KiTTEH ;258;

Hmm… pretty. He would have stared at her a bit longer but he had heavier things weighing on his mind at the moment

i laughed at this. all i could think was "Ooooo... preeeeetty... *oggles*"
hehehe...

you're really talented at writing... needless to say, i like this a lot. the plot seems cleche, but in a way i've never seen before. :p really, this is pretty fantastic.

Quickly losing his temper, Drew kicked the back of the guy’s knees, causing him to fall to the ground. Once he was down, Drew grabbed his book and hurtled it as far away was possible. The guy scrambled to his feet and chased after the book, looking over his shoulder in fear. Seeing nothing was there frightened him even more and he hightailed it out of there.

BWAHAHAHA!! XD this was priceless. :D seems just like Drew to do something like that... now i wonder what he'll do now that he knows May can see him? ^^

;216; Tff

shadow_shipper

...indeed...
Oh, and Misty and Drew are cousins in this, BTW.

Yes !!
What a glorious idea !

Here we go!

Drew was looking forward to rest and relaxation while Misty was going out of town with her sisters and his mother. Drew was originally supposed to go with them since he would be left at home alone, but his mother relented. He was sixteen now, after all. It was a good thing too, in Drew’s opinion.

No kidding o_o
That's an opportunity not to let go...you can have one major party there :p

It was unusually bright when Drew woke up, even for the living room. He groggily cracked one eye open to look at his surroundings. Startled out of his wits, the other eye flew open.

“WHAT THE HELL?!” he cursed, jumping to his feet. This was definitely not his living room.

The familiar public park surrounded him on all sides and Drew thought he was going to have a heart attack.

Now that's good ^^

Sighing, Drew lay down and shut his eyes. Maybe a quick nap would do the trick. Who knew? He could wake up and be back in his house. For all he knew, the whole morning could be a horrible nightmare. Just as he got comfortable, a shadow fell across his face. Great. Not another person trying to sit on him, he thought grouchily.

He cracked one eye open and saw the girl with brown hair. Now that she was so close, he could see that her eyes were a startling blue. She was standing over him with her arms akimbo and an angry expression on her face. He sat up slowly and her gaze followed him.

“That was mean,” she said. “What did he do to you?”

What the ... ?
How can she see him ? o.o

Well, this is really good for now !
No mistakes I spotted, nice wording, nice ideas, and of course, an interesting plot !

I'm really wondering how he woke up outside, and why she can see him...
Oh well, see you next time ^^

Angelique

transcending love~
Guys, sorry about the lateness. This Internal Error 500 hampered me, and I didn't know what to do until someone from the FF forum gave me a heads up. Hopefully this posts! Mods, if you're there, could you help the Fanfiction mods investigate this problem and help explain to me why this is happening? T.T Thanks.

Thanks for the review, ~!Mudkip Kitteh!~, Teddiursa fan forever. I hope you stick around for these other chapters too! Here's Chapter Two, starring the ever awesome MAY!!

Chapter Two: Stalking Girls​

“A-are you talking to me?” Drew stuttered. He was hardly ever reduced to stuttering, but surprise had gotten the better of him.

The girl rolled her eyes before answering. “Who else would I be talking to? You’re the only one here.” She then mumbled something under her breath that he didn’t quite catch but was sure he wouldn’t like. Under normal circumstances he would have had a rude reply but this day certainly didn’t qualify as normal. He had more urgent matters at hand.

“So…” Drew said slowly, pointing to his face. “You can see me?”

“Yes.” The way she said it implied that she thought he was slow. Making a not-so-nice gesture with her middle finger she asked, “Can you see this?”

Drew mentally sighed. It was a shame that her personality didn’t match her face. He just couldn’t help himself. There was a limit to his self restraint after all. “Yes, but I’m not really in the mood for that right now.”

“Oh?” The girl said, not missing a beat. “Judging by your choice in footwear, I would have to guess that I’m not your type.”

While Drew was recovering from the shock that she had managed to one up him, the girl spun on her heel and walked away. Realizing that his only hope was leaving in a huff, Drew raced after her.

“Hey! Where are you going?”

She glanced over her shoulder to see that he had already caught up with her. “To school. Nar. You don’t look any older than me; shouldn’t you do the same?”

“I can’t. I’m invisible.” Never mind that he wouldn’t have gone anyways…

That caught her attention. She stopped so abruptly that Drew had to backtrack a couple of steps.

“I’m guessing that you’re either a psycho or a pathological liar. Which is it?” She asked, unflinchingly staring him in the eyes. He wasn’t sure why but it was a bit unnerving; like she wasn’t afraid of anything.

“I’m serious,” Drew insisted.

“Uh huh. And I have psychic powers.” Her voice was positively dripping with sarcasm.

Drew cringed at the ironic choice of words but he sensed an opening. “It’s funny you should bring that up. That’s actually how I got in this whole mess. You see-”

“I don’t have time for your lies,” she cut him off mid-sentence. Clearly finished with the conversation, she sped off into the direction of her school. If she thought running would deter him, she was dead wrong. Drew stayed on her heels the entire way.

“Go away!” She barked at him upon arriving at her school. She was breathing hard from her exertion and glaring at him fiercely. Drew simply scoffed at her. Her lips pursed together tightly and she swung open the entrance door to the school, trying to hit him in the process.

“Watch it!” Drew yelped when the door barely missed his toe. The pink slippers wouldn’t have protected him in the slightest. She didn’t say anything. He also noticed that she was no longer running away from him. “Give up so soon?”

There was no reply.

She was ignoring him, Drew realized with horror. He had never been ignored before in his life and there was no way he was going to take it lying down. He was getting ready to give her a good smack upside the head when the bell rang.

A sea of students appeared from all sides, everyone not paying attention to who they were walking all over. It was way worse than the halls at his school, and that was really saying something. Maybe it was his eyes deceiving him, but he was pretty sure he saw someone sitting in a corner and covering his head with his hands for protection. He was sorely tempted to join him.

The halls were so crammed with students that Drew had a hard time keeping sight of the girl. To keep up with her he had to push a lot of people out of his way. Luckily for him, everyone was used to being manhandled and they barely noticed.

A foot appeared from out of nowhere and Drew stumbled over it. He somehow managed to keep from falling (a good thing too since he doubted he would ever be able to get back up) but had to take his eyes off the girl. His eyes darted around and he was just in time to see her duck into a nearby classroom.

By the time he fought his way over to her classroom, she was unpacking and he cleared his throat to get her attention. She looked up at him with a pleasant expression, but it immediately turned sour at the sight of his face. “What the hell are you doing here?”

“That’s not a very nice thing to say to your best friend, May.”

Drew turned around at the familiar voice to see a girl with pale skin and fierce red hair standing behind him. She was smiling sweetly at the girl with brown hair – who was obviously named May. It was Misty.

“Misty! What are you doing here? I thought you were going on that cruise with your sisters and the rest of your family?”

Drew jumped out of the way just in time. A second later and Misty would have walked right into an invisible wall. May shot him a confused look but didn’t comment. She had obviously decided to go back to her ignoring tactic.

“I decided not to at the last minute. My cousin Drew wasn’t going anyway, so why should I?” Misty answered curtly. Drew bit his lip at his cousin’s comment. So this May was the May, one of Misty’s notorious friends… Maybe he could get May to talk to Misty and beat some sense into that Jessie LaBelle woman.

Misty took her seat next to May and set her bag down. “So, anyway, enough about me. What’s going on with you?”

“I met an idiot guy in the park,” May started to say but had to pause for the tardy bell. There was no teacher in the classroom yet so she continued. “He’s been following me.”

“Really?” Misty arched a wry eyebrow at her friend. “What did he look like?”

“You’re kidding, right?”

“No.”

May lifted her hand and pointed in Drew’s direction. “He’s right there!”

Misty turned her head and arched her eyebrow again. “Lucas Diamond’s been following you?”

Drew looked over his shoulder to see a boy with black hair behind him. He assumed that boy was probably Lucas.

“No, I-” May blanched. Drew enjoyed watching as the color drained from her face. “You don’t see him?” she asked, barely above a whisper.

“Um… no?”

“You don’t see the guy standing in front of Lucas with green hair who isn’t wearing a school uniform?” May sounded a little desperate and Drew chuckled.

“May, are you feeling okay?” Misty reached across their desks and put her hand on May’s forehead. She looked concerned for her friend.

“I’m fine. Are you sure you don’t see him?” May asked one more time, gently brushing her friend’s hand away.

“I’m sure.”

“Good,” May said, her tone and posture changing completely. She didn’t want her friend to worry about her so she would pretend. “It was just a joke. You know, one last prank before Spring Break. The old ‘May has gone bonkers’ never fails!” Drew was a bit taken aback at how quickly she was able to change gears and come up with a cover story.

Misty rolled her eyes and smacked May on the arm. She was about to say something but the teacher chose that moment to burst through the door, looking harried in only the way a high school teacher can. “Get out something to do,” she snapped. “I don’t care what, just don’t talk.”

Misty got out a book but May rummaged around in her bag and pulled out a pen and some paper. Drew moved so that he was standing right next to her and she eyed him wearily. He had to admit that it was a bit of a power trip that he was able to make a girl like her look unsure about something.

Shaking slightly, she wrote ‘Are you a ghost?’ on the paper.

Drew leaned forward so that he was right next to her before whispering. “No.” It was unnecessary for him to whisper since she was the only one who could hear him, but he wasn’t quite ready to relinquish his newfound power over her. It was with no small amount of satisfaction that he noted the shiver that shot down her spine caused by his hot breath on her ear.

Reaching over to Misty’s desk, Drew selected a single hair from her head and yanked hard and quick. Misty jumped, and glared at the boy sitting behind her.

“I wouldn’t have been able to do that if I were a ghost.”

Seeming satisfied with that answer, May scribbled down another message: ‘Don’t do that again. Misty might kill the poor guy behind her.’

Drew chuckled and watched as she wrote more. ‘If you’re not a ghost, what are you?’

“That’s a long story. You see…” Drew launched into his story, leaving out nothing except he and Misty’s names, while May pretended to be working. Not that it really mattered – her teacher wasn’t paying attention anyways. “And since you’re the only person who can see me, there’s no one else I can go to. Will you help me?”

May scowled.

Uh oh.

That definitely was not the reaction he was hoping for. Angrily, she scribbled down another sentence: ‘It sounds like you got exactly what you deserve.’

“You’re not going to help me?” Drew shrieked. It wasn’t very manly but there was no time to worry about that. May winced at the sound but wrote three more words.

‘No. Go away.’

After reading her message, Drew let out a bark of laughter. “Ha! Yea, right! There’s no one else who can help me. There’s no way I’m giving up!”

More writing: ‘Try all you want. I don’t care. You won’t change my mind. Don’t think that I forgot what you did to that poor guy in the park.’

Can’t change her mind, huh? Drew thought evilly. We’ll see about that.

It was after lunch and May’s class as watching a movie while May attempted to ignore Drew once again. She still refused to help him, but Drew hadn’t given up. He had bothered her all throughout the day and wasn’t about to quit.

“I have all the time in the world,” he said out loud. “You’re the only one who can see me. I’m not giving up.” He poked her in the side for emphasis. No response. He mentally sighed.

Frustration was beginning to settle in. He may have been notorious for being stubborn, but he might have finally met his match in May. She had gotten so used to his constant pokes and prods that she had stopped reacting to them completely. It was a good thing too. She was tired of people thinking she was having a seizure.

An idea crept into Drew’s mind but he wasn’t too sure he was willing to go that far. He watched May’s side profile. She was still diligently pretending like he was a figment of her imagination. Desperate times called for desperate measures. Drew crouched down low and moved so that he was under May.

“What are you doing?” May hissed out of the corner of her mouth, curiosity getting the better of her.

“Trying to see your panties,” he answered simply. That was always a sure way to get a girl’s attention, even if it was negative.

May’s eyes widened and she kicked him in the head. A few people turned around in their seats to see what she was doing.

“There was a bug on my leg,” May said lamely. They looked at her like she was crazy and then turned back to the movie. May shot a death glare at Drew, who was sitting on the floor and rubbing his head.

May got up and went to her teacher. “May I go to the restroom?”

The teacher nodded. She was probably very glad to be rid of May, even if it was only for a couple of minutes. May’s constant fidgeting was getting on everyone’s nerves.

May left the room and Drew followed. The walk to the bathroom seemed longer than it ever had before, but that probably had something to do with the invisible guy singing ‘I know a song that gets on everybody’s nerves’ at the top of his lungs. Her left eye managed to develop a twitch by the time they reached the restroom.

She was unsurprised that Drew followed her into the girls’ bathroom but she drew the line when she realized that he was in the stall with her.

“What are you doing?”

“I’ve always been curious about the anatomy of a girl.” He grinned widely at her, waggling his eyebrows.

May pushed him out, slammed the door and locked it. “Yea, well, I’m willing to bet money that you’re going to remain curious about that until the day you die.”

“Ouch. That one struck a nerve.” Drew paused, examining his fingernails. “No, really it did.” His insistence was obviously not sincere. Her lack of a response was grating on his nerves. Bending over, he peeked under the stall door. Luckily for May, she was only unzipping her pants. When she lifted her leg in warning of another kick to the head, he withdrew.

Drew leaned against the wall and crossed his arms over his chest. May took care of business and reemerged. Turning on a faucet, she began to wash her hands.

“You win,” she muttered under her breath so softly that he wasn’t sure he heard her correctly.

Drew uncrossed his arms and leaned closer to her. “What was that?”

“I said you win! I’ll help you.” May let out an exasperated sigh. “You’re driving me crazy and I can tell you’re not going to give up any time soon. The sooner I help you, the sooner you go away.”

“Glad to see you finally realized the smart thing to do.”

May gave him a withering glare. “Don’t push it. I can still change my mind.” Drew raised his hands in surrender, unwilling to start another battle so soon.

They fell into silence while May was drying her hands on a coarse paper towel. “So, what’s your name?” she asked.

“Drew Rose.”

May’s eyes widened a little. “You’re kidding – you’re Misty’s favorite cousin? The one who goes that posh high school in the west? I don’t believe you – you’re really who you say you are, you should be either still at school or on that cruise with the rest of Misty’s crazy family.”

“I shirked, okay? I was actually planning to spend the rest of my holiday at home, watching corny Saturday night movies, before this happened,” Drew answered quickly. At the mention of Saturday night movies, May snorted and muttered something obscene under her breath that sounded oddly like “lazy fat-ass”.

May slapped a recovering smirk on her face and wheeled around at Drew.

“Okay, Drew, cousin of Misty. So tell me, do you make it a habit of following girls into the bathroom and listening while they pee? Does that kind of thing get you off?” she asked, apparently raring to go for another battle. It only made sense, since she had lost the first one.

“Don’t kid yourself,” Drew quipped. “I don’t see you that way. I only like attractive girls.”

May frowned. “You certainly are a mouthy little nincompoop.”

“You’re one to talk.”

May groaned, tossing the paper towel in the trash bin. “I can see this is going to be a long day.” Realization dawned on her. “You said that you wanted me to help you, but what exactly do you want me to do? And how come I’m the only one who can see you? Why me?”

Drew looked uncomfortable at the third degree. “I’m… not really sure. The psychic said that I’m going to have to figure it out on my own.”

“Is that your answer to all three of my questions?”

“Yes.”

“So what you’re telling me is that you have no idea what we’re supposed to do.” May looked suspiciously close to strangling him. “This is going to take more than one day, isn’t it?”

“Probably.”

May groaned loudly at the ceiling.

“I do have an idea… we could tell Misty about this little… thing,” Drew suggested in an uncertain tone. At Drew’s pitch, May held back a wearied sigh.

“From what I know of you from Misty and my own observations, Misty probably thinks you’re at home, being antisocial and nestled while doing nothing but slum-up all day. She’ll probably assume that and not even bother visiting you.” May winced and massaged her temple.

“The moment I suggest to Misty that you’re not at home, but invisible and stalking me to see my panties, she’d call the head-shrinkers on me. I’m not risking my reputation for being sane just for you.”

Silence stretched out, and possibility of getting Misty’s help was flushed down the drain. It took a few awkward and abortive first attempts before Drew managed to crack the tense quietness.

“So then...” he poked her in the side. “What class do we have next?”

“Keep your eyes shut,” May snapped at Drew, turning the last number to the combination of her locker and opening it with a click.

“Did you say something?” Misty asked, tugging her shirt over her head.

“Nothing,” the brunette grumbled, wishing that she didn’t have tennis that day. It figured that she would have to go into a changing room full of half-naked girls the day that an invisible boy was following her everywhere. The irony.

“Hey!” Drew snapped May out of her thoughts. “Your friend has a nice rack. Oooo, and that girl over there…”

He was only saying those things to annoy her. Of course, he was a red-blooded heterosexual male so there was some truth in his words, but he would never normally say it so bluntly. It was fun to watch her get mad.

May ignored him and stuck her nose in the air, tugging her shirt off and exposing herself. She kept repeating to herself that she changed clothes in front of girls all the time and this was no different. Unfortunately, her mantra couldn’t block out Drew’s voice.

“Hey, you’re not too bad yourself,” Drew commented offhand.

May could feel her face heat up against her will. You stupid perve! She silently threw obscenities at him, but continued getting dressed as if he had never said anything. She was lucky enough to have put on her nicest bra that morning, so she was at least spared that embarrassment. On the other hand, her panties were a completely different story.

May quickly pulled on a large shirt before changing into her shorts. That way, no one would have to know that she was wearing her teddy bear print underwear with the worn elastic and the hole.

After attempting to pull her short hair up and tying her shoes she grabbed her racket, slammed her locker shut, and scurried out of the locker room. Misty was still pulling her hair up so she stayed behind.

Once they were alone outside, May turned to look at her shadow companion, intending to chew his ass off. The words died in her throat when she got a good look at his face. He seemed shocked into silence and – even though she would never dream of asking why – she was curious. Fortunately he supplied an answer without her having to say a word.

“Some girls have absolutely NO business wearing thongs.”

May laughed in both amusement and triumph. “I told you to stay outside and wait for me while I changed.”

“But you might have tried to ditch me,” Drew said. “And I can’t have that.”

“The thought never crossed my mind.”

It actually would have been impossible to lose him at this point, but she would have been willing to try if he had given her the opportunity. Apparently, that wasn’t going to happen.

“Let’s get something straight,” May began, laying down the ground rules. “You sit around during my practice and I’ll help you out afterwards. You are to do nothing, hear me? Nothing for the next couple of hours.”

The threat might as well have fallen on deaf ears but Drew pretended to agree anyway. Together they made their way to the tennis courts, not talking because other people were around.

Drew basically tuned out the coach’s long and boring speech until it seemed like she was winding down. “…and Dawn Pearl on court two. May Maple and Ash Ketchum on court one.”

May grabbed a couple balls from the basket and walked over to court one with Drew following. Another boy joined them. He was about Drew’s height but had darker hair and wore a sheepish smile.

Drew took note of this new boy, but what really caught his attention was May. When Ash was talking to her she seemed very hesitant to meet his eyes. In fact, her whole demeanor changed from how she was around everyone else. Very interesting.

It didn’t take long for Drew to get tremendously bored while watching them play. There was only so long watching a ball go back and forth could hold his attention, and May sensed it. Perhaps his enormous and loud yawning tipped her off.

They finally finished a set and while Ash was off to get a drink of water, Drew sauntered up to May.

“Do you know how boring tennis is to watch?”

“Yes.” May scowled. “That’s why I play it and don’t watch it. I thought I told you to sit around while I have tennis practice. You’re standing.”

“I just thought I would say hi while you’re all by your lonesome,” Drew replied. The mischief in him couldn’t resist saying, “You like that Ashy boy, don’t you?”

“No.” May answered a little too quickly to be convincing. She wanted to smack herself when she realized her mistake. It was too late now anyways. “Maybe. How did you know that? No one else has noticed.”

“Seriously?” he asked incredulously. “People are even dumber than I thought. You act different around him. Let me guess – only known him for a few days, he acts charming toward you, love at first sight?” Drew rolled his eyes at the thought. She had probably liked that Ash guy since the moment she laid eyes on him. The idea made him want to hurl.

May snapped her narrowed eyes on him. “You’re awful quick to jump to conclusions. As a matter of fact, I don’t believe in love at first sight. Infatuation maybe, but not love.” He must have been looking at her strangely because she backtracked. “That’s not to say that it couldn’t turn into love. There are a lot of relationships that…” She stopped herself from babbling. “But my point is that I knew Ash for over a year before I started liking him like that.”

Drew was actually stunned. Until that moment he had never heard a girl say that she didn’t believe in love at first sight. This May girl was a strange one.

“So what do you like about that guy?” Drew’s curiosity got the best of him. He had to ask.

“Well, actually-”

“You know May, talking to yourself is a sign of insanity.”

May froze and turned slowly. Ash smiled at her jovially.

“I-I wasn’t talking to myself!” May sputtered. Drew laughed the entire way through her lame explanation, but she still somehow managed to wiggle herself out of the embarrassing situation and went back to playing tennis.

Drew sat down on his appointed spot and was getting extremely bored when an idea popped into his head. He knew a way to make tennis practice more fun.

When he stood up, May glanced at him out of the corner of her eye. If Ash weren’t there she would have asked him what he thought he was doing.

Slowly, Drew moseyed to the center of the court. Ash hit the ball, and as it was going by Drew stuck his hand out and… grabbed it.

Time seemed to stand still. Deciding that he had held it long enough, Drew dropped the ball back on Ash’s side of the net.

“What just happened?!” Ash asked, utterly bewildered.

“I have no idea,” May said, feigning ignorance. When tennis practice was over she was going to have a word or two with that invisible pain in the ass.

And that was the way the rest of practice went. Drew continued to mess up both Ash and May’s shots (“The wind is being strange today!”) and also began to pirouette around the court. It got to the point that May wasn’t even trying to get the ball over the net anymore. She had a new target. Drew dodged most of the time, but she did get a couple of good shots.

It was at 4:45 that a thoroughly pissed May went back to the locker room with the rest of the team.

“I hate my partner!” Misty cried, slamming her locker shut with a bang. The partner under discussion was already gone. “One of my biggest pet peeves is having a ball hog for a partner and just who do I have as my partner? The biggest ball hog on the team! It wouldn’t even be that bad if she could get her shots in!”

May nodded along, shutting her locker door and retying her shoes. “You know what my biggest pet peeve is?”

Misty stopped her ranting for a second to look at her best friend. “What?”

“Things that are invisible.”

“Invisible?”

May nodded. Drew got what she was implying but it didn’t faze him in the least. At least he had enjoyed himself a little that day.

“Care to elaborate?” Misty asked, obviously confused.

“Like the wind (among other things). It’s harder to play tennis with the wind around. It just makes life more difficult.”

“Uh huh.” Misty accepted that as an answer but shook her head in mock sadness. “I swear you get stranger every day. I’ve got to go now. I’ll call you. Bye!”

“Bye!” May waved and as soon as Misty was out of sight she turned to her invisible companion.

“Alright you stupid greenhead. What do you want me to do?”

End of Chapter Two​

Last edited:

Angelique

transcending love~
Author's Notes: No reviews? Well, doesn't matter - I'm still going to stick by my self-made promise post every week! Anyway, here we go with Chapter 03~

Chapter Three: Forging An Alliance​

“What?!”

May stopped dead in her tracks so she could devote her undivided attention to glaring at Drew. “You didn’t tell me that you lost your spare key and you can’t get into your house. Where are you planning on sleeping?” She had just been clued in on that one important fact after Drew also informed her that Love’s Future Psychic House was closed by that hour.

Drew didn’t know why, but this girl May made him feel nervous. He was almost afraid to say his next sentence but it had to be said and he was no coward. In theory anyways. “At your house, of course.”

“Of course NOT!” May shouted, walking again.

“Do you have a better idea?” Drew asked, his exasperation mounting.

“Yes. I think I still have a dog house in the yard.”

“There’s no way I’m sleeping outside,” Drew said firmly.

“Then you better try your house again.” May picked up the pace, glancing at Drew with an infused scowl on her face.

“There’s no way in. Believe me, I tried everything.” Drew repeated.

“Fine.”

Drew wasn’t exactly sure what she meant. Fine, he can sleep in her house? Or fine, he’s going to be stuck outside with the mosquitoes and ants? It probably wouldn’t have done him any good to ask her, so he didn’t bother.

The rest of the walk to her house was in silence. This seemed to please May and she didn’t break the silence until they were standing outside of her front door.

“Listen,” she said sharply, “My dad and my brother are home so you need to be absolutely silent. When we get inside, be quiet and follow me.” And with that she swung open the door and walked in. Drew was a couple of steps behind her so she had to hold the door open for a second.

“What are you doing, sweetheart?” A masculine voice asked from the sofa in the living room. The owner of the voice had dark hair and looked too old to be May’s brother, so Drew just assumed he was her father. “Trying to let all the bugs and pests in?”

“Yes,” May answered bluntly. Her double meaning may have been lost on her father but it wasn’t lost on Drew. Too bad he didn’t really care what she thought. “Do you know where Max is, Dad?”

“In his room, talking to someone on the phone.”

May sighed inwardly in relief, glad that she didn’t have to sneak Drew past her brother at the moment. Her gaze flickered backwards and clashed with Drew’s. Quickly, she turned away and started walking down the hall.

Drew watched where they were going so that later he would know his way around the house. The walls in the hallway were white and the carpet felt nice and spongy through his pretty pink slippers. All in all, not a bad place to live.

The hostile girl disappeared into one of the rooms and Drew was about to follow her, but something caught his eye.

On the door there was a sign that said ‘WARNING’ and then a long description of what it was warning about. Basically, it was saying what a mess the room was going to be. It kept going on and on about safety procedures and why he shouldn’t go in. Drew rolled his eyes at the over exaggeration of it all and entered the room.

Drew visibly flinched when he saw the disaster zone. Clothes (including bras and underwear) were strewn around the room as well as blankets, backpacks, and anything else imaginable to man. “I guess the sign on your door wasn’t an exaggeration.”

“Not really,” May said and almost sounded proud.

Drew didn’t know how long he would be able to stay in that room. Every fiber of his being was screaming at him to get out of there and never return. He really hated messy rooms.

“Is there a problem?” May asked coyly while she removed her shoes and threw them into the closet. “If there is, the doghouse is still available.”

“No,” Drew said quickly. “There’s no problem.”

“Good.” She waded her way through the mess over to her dresser and dug around for some pajamas. That accomplished, she expertly skipped around the junk on the floor to get to the door.

“Where are you going?” Drew demanded, not wanting to be left in that room if it were at all possible.

“To take a bath. Don’t follow me.” She said it firmly enough so there was no room for argument.

“Why would I want to?” Drew muttered under his breath after she shut the door. She hadn’t given him enough time to say it to her face.

May almost moaned aloud when she sank into the steaming bathwater. As soon as she was surrounded by heat she could feel her muscles relax and some of the day’s stress seemed to melt away.

It had definitely been a long day - between tennis practice and finding out that she had an invisible STALKER. Okay, so maybe he wasn’t exactly a stalker but he certainly seemed as bad. In fact, she was wondering if she would prefer a stalker at this point. At least then she would be able to call the police.

Her mouth was underwater and, when she thought about calling the police to report an invisible stalker, she snorted and made bubbles.

It was only later when she was drying off and happened to glance at the clock, that she noticed she had been in the bathtub a lot longer than she’d intended.

Hurriedly, she put on her pajamas and went back to her room. The sight that greeted her made her gasp in shock.

“What did you do to my room?!”

“Cleaned it,” Drew answered simply. May’s jaw dropped but he just pointed to a large pile of clothes. “I just put all of the clothes on the floor in that pile, regardless of whether they were really dirty or not. However, I didn’t think it would be good if your father saw a floating pile of laundry, so I left that for you to take care of.”

“W-why…” May stuttered; it had been a long time since she’d seen the carpet. Had it always been that color?

“I have to have a place to sleep.” Drew glanced at her with a mischievous expression. “Unless you want me to sleep on the bed with you?”

May’s face turned a nice rosy shade of pink in outrage. “Of course not!”

“That’s what I thought.”

“I’ve been looking for these!” May said happily, flipping through the pictures in a shoebox that Drew had unearthed from the wreckage of her room. From what Drew could tell from the few glimpses he got over her shoulder, it was mainly a bunch of pictures of May and a younger boy who seemed to be her brother. The two children were of varied ages in the photos.

May stopped and laughed at one particular photo where she was about five years old and perched on top of an extremely hassled looking Max. He was on his stomach on the floor and looked roughed up, as if it had taken a lot of effort on the girl’s part to get him that way.

“Ah, this brings back memories,” May said, running her finger along the edges of the photo.

Drew was almost afraid to ask. “What kind of memories?”

May smirked slyly. “I wrestled Max to the ground because he was teasing me. My mom held him down and I farted in his face. My dad thought he would get a commemorative photo.”

The edges of Drew’s mouth turned down. “Lovely.”

“Isn’t it, though?” May giggled and moved on to the next picture.

Drew sat back and leaned against the side of her bed. “So, I guess you and Max are pretty close?”

“Yea,” May said fondly. Drew was surprised by how normal and sweet she seemed in that moment. “Despite his pesky nature, he’s been the best possible little brother to me, the kind that tells his older sister just about everything. He and my dad are the most important people in my life. He’s the world to me.”

“What about your mother?” Drew asked, not really thinking.

May set the box down and looked at him. “She died seven years ago from a car accident.” Horrified that he had asked such a personal question so lightly, Drew opened his mouth to apologize but May interrupted him. “Don’t worry about it. You didn’t know. And it’s been a long time since she passed away, so I’ve gotten used to missing her. I’d feel worse for my dad since he’s known her the longest.”

“Still,” Drew said, trying to imagine what his life would have been like without his mother. “I’m sure it was hard to grow up without a mother, especially since you’re a girl.”

“Yea. Sometimes,” May admitted and shrugged. “But it could have been a lot worse. At least I have my dad and brother.”

Drew nodded and leaned his head back against the bed. May titled her head to the side and studied his profile. “What about you, greenhead?”

“Come again?” Drew asked, sitting up. He decided to let that ‘greenhead’ comment slide.

“What’s your family like?” May clarified.

“Oh.” Drew laughed and then considered it for a moment. “I live with my mother and my sister, Solidad. And as you probably already know, I’m also pretty close to my four female cousins, Misty in particular.”

“Wow,” May said, her blue eyes wide. “That’s a lot of estrogen.”

“You’re telling me,” Drew muttered darkly. “I can’t even count the number of times they held me down, painted my nails, and dressed me like a girl. My mom never stopped them either because she said I made such a pretty girl.”

May snickered at that particular image. “Six against one. Those aren’t very good odds.”

“No,” Drew agreed. “They’re not.”

“And your father?” May asked, uncharacteristically timid. Drew had to appreciate her tact.

“He’s alive, but otherwise pretty much out of the picture,” Drew answered, figuring that she had answered his questions so it was only fair. “He knocked my mother up for the second time and then left her when she was pregnant with me. The judge wouldn’t let them divorce until after I was born so it would be easier for my mother to get child support. But once they did, he got married to another woman a few months later.”

“Do you ever see him?” May asked, curious.

Drew shrugged. “Every now and then.”

“So your mother raised two children all by herself?” May’s voice was incredulous. She couldn’t even imagine how difficult that must have been.

“She had help from her parents until they died.”

“She sounds like an amazing woman,” May said in awe.

“She sure is.” Drew smiled fondly but it was brief. “But she never remarried. She almost did once but that crashed and burned. He didn’t get along with me or my sister. After that, my mother said she was done with those types of relationships because we gave her all the love she ever needed.”

May didn’t say anything while he told her all of that. She just listened to him talk and Drew found that he felt better just saying those things out loud. So he continued. “That’s why I find it hard to believe in a romantic love between a man and a woman. It might exist, but I think it’s really rare. I seriously doubt I will ever experience it.”

“I think I know what you mean,” May finally said. “The genuine thing is hard to come by.”

They fell into an uncomfortable silence where neither one of them knew what to say. May started fidgeting nervously and Drew was finding it hard to figure out where put his eyes. Like most males, he was uncomfortable with such talks.

They were thankfully saved by May’s father calling out to May. “Dinner’s ready!”

“Okay!” May called back, relieved. She jumped to her feet and was at the door before she paused. “Um, thanks for cleaning my room I guess.”

“No need to thank me. I will make you pay for it.” Drew said, flashing her his teeth.

May curled her lip at him. “Like hell you will. I think me helping you with your invisible problem is payment enough.” And with that, she walked out of the room and shut the door.

“Make sure you bring me back something to eat!” Drew called out to her. There was no response.

“We need to make a plan for tomorrow,” Drew said from his makeshift bed down on the floor. May had stolen some of her father’s pajamas for him to sleep in and was generous enough to surrender one of her blankets to him so he wouldn’t freeze to death. Only after about an hour of his whinging had she given him her spare pillow.

“We?” May quirked an eyebrow even though she knew he couldn’t see her in the dark.

“Yes ‘we’. Stop acting like that. You know the only way you’re going to get rid of me is by helping me.” Drew shifted around, trying to get comfortable. Her carpet was awfully itchy and the hard ground was relentless. He wondered why the carpet was different in her room than it was in the rest of the house. Probably because they knew it would just end up buried, he thought grouchily.

May could hear him tossing around and felt a twinge of guilt. “Comfortable?” she asked. She hadn’t meant it as a jab, but he took it that way.

“No.” His reply was short and crisp. The day was really starting to get to him. Finding out that he was invisible was stressful enough, but the knowledge that May was the only girl who could help him was giving him an ulcer. He heard her covers move and was suddenly blinded by the light from her bedside lamp.

“Look.” She said, leaning over the edge of her bed so she could see his face. “My bed is really big. If the floor is that uncomfortable, you can sleep with your head by my feet.”

Drew was taken aback. Here she had been accusing him of being a pervert all day and now she offering him a place on her bed. “You trust me?”

May smiled as a response. “I trust you to know what would happen to you if you try anything. Besides, if I didn’t trust you, would I be letting you sleep on the floor? It’s just as easy for you to get up from down there and molest me as it would be for you to roll over and do it.”

She made a valid point and he wasn’t about to argue. Her bed looked nice and cozy, especially compared to the floor. He had been dreading an awful backache anyways. Without needing any more persuasion, Drew dragged up the blanket and pillow she let him borrow and threw it by her feet. “Thanks.”

“No problem.”

As soon as they were both settled in May turned off the lights again. Her eyes remained wide open in the darkness, staring blindly at the ceiling. Despite what she told him, it was VERY unnerving to have him sleeping in the same bed as her. He was putting out a lot of body head and she could almost feel his breath on her feet. It was strange, but not entirely bad. She forced herself to suppress a groan. She had no idea how she was supposed to get any sleep.

“Do you have any ideas?” Drew’s voice broke through her little reverie.

“Huh?” May said articulately.

“For the plan.” There was a tinge of impatience in his voice, but not enough for her to care.

May chewed on her lower lip. It was a bad habit that she had been meaning to quit for some time. “I was thinking that I’d go to that Psychic House and talk to Madam Josie.”

“Jessie.”

“Whatever.” May waved her hand flippantly even though he couldn’t see her do it.

“That won’t do you any good.”

“Do you have a better idea?” May snapped.

“Nope. By all means, go ahead.”

May wasn’t so sure that it wouldn’t be a waste of time, but didn’t want to hear that from him. It wasn’t like she had any other ideas anyway. Instead of continuing the conversation, she rolled over and said, “Goodnight.”

“Night.”

When Drew awoke the next morning, it was to the soft click of the door closing. Still groggy from sleep, he sat up in the unfamiliar bed and slowly looked at the girl who had just entered the room.

“I’m sorry,” she said. “Did I wake you up?”

“Not really.” Drew yawned and stretched to get the stiffness out of his muscles. He glanced over May’s appearance and noticed that she was already dressed for the day. “How long have you been awake?”

“Not long,” she lied. Actually, she’d been in and out of sleep the whole night and as soon as the sun rose, she had been unable to fall back to sleep. Unwilling to toss and turn some more, she crawled out of bed and got dressed.

It was odd getting out of a bed with a guy in it. Even if nothing happened, it still felt like forbidden territory. May blushed deep crimson at the thought of what Misty would say if she knew.

“Is something wrong?”

“No. Nothing.” May shook her head violently to get the bad thoughts out. “You should get dressed. If my brother saw his pajamas walking around on their own, I don’t think he would understand.” A thought suddenly occurred to her. “How long have you been wearing your clothes anyways?”

Now it was Drew’s turn to blush. “Just a couple days.” May’s nose crinkled in disgust. “Hey! It’s not my fault. I don’t have anything else to wear and I don’t even know if the clothes I’m wearing right now are invisible or not.”

“I didn’t say anything!” May had to nibble on her lower lip to keep from laughing.

“Sure. I know what you were thinking.”

May raised an eyebrow in challenge. “So now you think you know what’s going on in my head?”

Drew could have laughed out loud. Yea right. “Nope. Definitely not.” She was one of the few people that he just couldn’t figure out. He would never live it down if Solidad even found out. Speaking of which… “I just hope that we can get this whole mess straightened out before my family comes back.”

“How long do we have?”

“You don’t need to worry,” Drew assured her. “They’re going to be gone for a week.”

“Good. That’s one less thing we have to worry about.”

“Unless it takes us more than a week,” Drew pointed out. May groaned.

“I really wish I had a change of clothes,” he whined. “These are really starting to stink.”

“Yea, I know. I can smell.” Drew was about to respond, but she interrupted him. It seemed to be another habit of hers, one that he had every intention of correcting. “Be quiet.” They had finally made it to the Love’s Future Psychic House. The walk there was long, but May hadn’t wanted to involve her father or brother in their predicament by asking for a ride.

Drew felt dread looking at the small building. If it were up to him, he would burn the stupid thing to the ground so he would never have to look at it again. It would serve Madam LaButch right.

May wasn’t intimidated by the building in the slightest and entered without hesitation. Drew followed, a little less sure of himself. Without missing a beat, May walked up to the same clerk that had been there both times Drew visited.

“Yes?” the clerk asked, smacking her gum.

“I’m here to see Madam Jessie.”

“Do you have an appointment?”

“No, but it involves one of her former clients,” May answered truthfully.

The clerk frowned slightly. “I’m sorry but-”

Madam Jessie herself interrupted her. “It’s okay,” she said, coming out of her room that smelled like smoke. She then addressed May. “I assume by ‘former client’ you’re talking about the young man who is standing behind you?”

The clerk glanced behind May before throwing a confused look at Madam Jessie. Her confusion was ignored.

“Yes, ma’am!”

Drew almost fell over at the guilelessly sweet smile May directed at Madam Jessie.

“By all means, come in. You too, Drew,” Madam Jessie said, a hint of a smile on her painted lips.

Every part of Drew’s brain told him not to, but his legs disobeyed and he found himself in the dreaded room once more.

Madam Jessie sat down and gestured for them to do the same. “So, what can I help you with, dear?”

May continued to smile and her voice sounded like liquid sugar when she answered. It reminded Drew of a little girl who wanted her parents to buy her an expensive toy. “I was wondering if you would be so kind as so tell us how to get Drew back to normal?”

Madam Jessie had obviously been expecting that. “Sorry. I can’t tell you.”

May’s impeccable smile faltered. It was only a split second before it was plastered on her face again. “What do you mean?”

“I can’t tell you.”

May’s chest moved up and down slowly like she was trying to control her anger, but her face remained the same. “Why not?”

“Several reasons.” As she talked, Madam Jessie ticked the reasons off on her fingers. “It’s not in my nature, this is something you need to figure out on your own, and… he insulted me.”

Drew swallowed nervously. He really wished the old hag hadn’t said that last one. Sure enough, May glared at him with all the fire of Hades.

“You seem like such a nice girl,” Madam Jessie continued. “Smart too, I’m sure. You’ll be able to figure it out.”

May’s grin seemed more like a grimace and it seemed to Drew that her smile was showing a lot more teeth than was necessary.

“Thank you for your time,” May managed to growl and stood up sharply. She turned on her heel and exited with Drew close behind her.

He was dying to say ‘I told you so’ but figured it wouldn’t be a good idea. After all, he didn’t have a death wish.

“What a crock of baloney!” May shouted as soon as they were out of Love’s Future.

“That’s exactly what I said,” Drew offered timidly. It was kind of funny that they thought the same way. “I noticed that you can really turn on the charm when you want something.”

“Naturally.” She brushed off the compliment with a wave of her hand. She sighed with much effort when she remembered that it still hadn’t done them any good. “I guess you have to come back to my house with me.”

“Yup.”

May’s eyes turned heavenward. “If I make it through this week without going crazy, I’m going to be very surprised.”

End of Chapter Three​

Last edited:

L0v3 is Evol

Angelique,

This review is for chapter three, and then I'll give you feed back in the story in general. ;216;
“Then you better try your house again.” May picked up the pace, glancing at Drew with an infused scowl on her face.

“There’s no way in. Believe me, I tried everything.” Drew repeated.

“Fine.”

Drew wasn’t exactly sure what she meant. Fine, he can sleep in her house? Or fine, he’s going to be stuck outside with the mosquitoes and ants? It probably wouldn’t have done him any good to ask her, so he didn’t bother.

Yay, May+Drew together-ness! Fluff do a ContestShipper good.

“I have to have a place to sleep.” Drew glanced at her with a mischievous expression. “Unless you want me to sleep on the bed with you?”

May’s face turned a nice rosy shade of pink in outrage. “Of course not!”

“That’s what I thought.”

And in the end it STILL happens lol.

May’s eyes turned heavenward. “If I make it through this week without going crazy, I’m going to be very surprised.”

But May will go crazy...crazy in love XD!

;194; Overall: ;222;
I really like the fluffy goodness you've put in this story. Also, the plot is very interesting and keeps the reader wanting more. So, you're doing a good job, and if you have a PM list, please add me.

Thanks ;070;!
L0v3 is Evol

isawthephoto

Still waiting.
“What are you doing, sweetheart?” A masculine voice asked from the sofa in the living room. The owner of the voice had dark hair and looked too old to be May’s brother, so Drew just assumed he was her father. “Trying to let all the bugs and pests in?”

“Yes,” May answered bluntly. Her double meaning may have been lost on her father but it wasn’t lost on Drew. Too bad he didn’t really care what she thought.

May's quite sassy in this. And that's certainly a good thing.

“What’s your family like?” May clarified.

“Oh.” Drew laughed and then considered it for a moment. “I live with my mother and my sister, Solidad. And as you probably already know, I’m also pretty close to my four female cousins, Misty in particular.”

“Wow,” May said, her blue eyes wide. “That’s a lot of estrogen.”

“You’re telling me,” Drew muttered darkly. “I can’t even count the number of times they held me down, painted my nails, and dressed me like a girl. My mom never stopped them either because she said I made such a pretty girl.”

You know, I bet he makes a prettier girl than Ash does.

“Look.” She said, leaning over the edge of her bed so she could see his face. “My bed is really big. If the floor is that uncomfortable, you can sleep with your head by my feet.”

Drew was taken aback. Here she had been accusing him of being a pervert all day and now she offering him a place on her bed. “You trust me?”

May smiled as a response. “I trust you to know what would happen to you if you try anything. Besides, if I didn’t trust you, would I be letting you sleep on the floor? It’s just as easy for you to get up from down there and molest me as it would be for you to roll over and do it.”

Well, May knows how to make a point.

May’s impeccable smile faltered. It was only a split second before it was plastered on her face again. “What do you mean?”

“I can’t tell you.”

I honestly thought May was going to explode for a moment there.

I'll be, too.

This is a great fic, with a lot of potential! You're a very good writer.

Last edited:

Hollypaw's_cool14

Jayfeather is too
He was putting out a lot of body head and she could almost feel his breath on her feet.
I think you mean heat. but otherwise it is very good, then again I never notice spelling. That part just stuck with me. I loved how you made Drew invisible. I would have never of thought to do that.
It is a really good fic, are you still doing it?

pokemon.rocks

Barry Rocks!!
Wow this is a great story I love it. I never expected that Drew would turn invisible, nice and May looks like she doesn't care what she says. I didn't see many errors or maybe I wasn't paying attention, keep up the great work!!

Angelique

transcending love~
Author's Notes: Thanks for all the reviews guys! Gosh, I sure didn't stick by my promises, particualrly the one to post every week! I just got busy at first, then I chose forgot this fic even existed! Doesn't matter, because now I'm going to go back to posting a chapter every week! (Well, at least attemptint to do so, anyway)

So please continue to review and stay with me! Here we go~

Chapter Four: Living with May​

“This sucks,” May moaned, burying her face in her hands and trying to ignore the trickling noise.

“Quit your bellyaching. I’m the one having to…” Drew paused to think of the most appropriate way to phrase the situation. “…PEE with you in the same room.”

“Oh ho!” May let out a breath of irritation. “My bellyaching? You’re the one that just couldn’t wait 30 minutes for my dad and brother to go to work!” She was trying to keep her voice down but Drew was really testing her patience. It was bad enough that she had to stay in the bathroom with him so her family wouldn’t get suspicious of the toilet magically filling and flushing on its own, but now he was blaming it on her.

“Hey!” Drew snapped. “I tried! One minute longer and you’d have had a nice large puddle on your carpet.”

May still had her hands over her face and her eyes squeezed shut tight. “I have a solution for this problem,” she declared and removed one hand from her face to rest it on the side of the tub she was sitting on.

“And what’s that?” Drew was slightly curious; maybe she was finally going to say something intelligent.

“I’ll just have to stop giving you liquids. That way you’ll just get dehydrated and shrivel up. Aren’t you done yet?”

Okay, perhaps not so intelligent.

“No. It really was an emergency. Just be happy it’s not number two.”

May groaned loudly. “When will this nightmare end?”

“May? Is everything all right?”

May stopped mid-moan at her father’s voice. “Everything is fine, Daddy. No need to worry,” she answered.

It was obvious to her father that everything was not fine but he let the subject drop all the same. Perhaps he thought she was having girl problems or that her dislike of vegetables was finally catching up to her. She didn’t really care what he thought as long as he didn’t pry.

“Well, whatever floats your boat, honey. I’m going to work now. I’ll see you later.”

“Bye.” May listened for his footsteps to retreat before she allowed herself to relax. “One down, one to go.” She was stopped from saying more by the sound of the toilet flushing.

“All done,” Drew declared and watched as she slowly opened her eyes and tried to adjust to the light. She focused her attention on him.

“Finally.”

“Bite me.”

“Don’t tempt me.”

+++​

“I thought your brother would never leave.”

May laughed. “Knowing him, he probably thinks something is up and wants to make things harder for me.”

“Sounds like something I would do to one of my sisters.”

The scary girl glared at him. “All older brothers should be thrown off a cliff.”

“I’m actually a younger brother,” Drew couldn’t help pointing out.

“And all younger brothers should be tortured before being led off a cliff.” She reached over and pulled a peeling knife off the knife rack and started to play with it.

“What is that for?” Drew asked. He was very proud of being able to keep his voice from indicating how uncomfortable she was making him.

“Peeling.”

“Peeling what?”

May hid her evil grin. Messing with his head was so much fun. “Oh, I don’t know… things.”

Her answer was very ambiguous and he hadn’t liked that at all. Not one tiny little bit. Too many horrible images came to his overactive imagination. May enjoyed the shudder her unspoken words had evoked from him.

“Something wrong?”

“Nope, nothing at all. I was just wondering…” Drew racked his brain desperately for something to say. “…if I could take a shower! I feel really dirty.”

May was slightly disappointed he had wriggled his way out of that one, and replaced the knife to its proper spot. “Sure, go ahead. Just leave your clothes outside the bathroom door.”

“Why?”

May reached for the knife again. “Don’t ask questions. Just do it.”

Drew nodded curtly and scampered away.

May watched him go. She may or may not have taken a peek at his butt as he went.

+++​

When Drew finished his shower there were clean clothes including boxers folded in place of where he had thrown his dirty clothes earlier. Upon closer inspection he discovered that the clothes were too big for him. Obviously, May’s father was going to be missing another outfit.

Before changing into the clothes, another thought occurred to Drew. “Boxers?” They certainly weren’t his. He would never own boxers with pink hearts that read ‘Happy Valentine’s Day’. That would mean they did not belonged to her brother. Her father’s, maybe?

“Ew.”

Making sure that the towel was secure around his waist, Drew marched into the living room. May was sitting in on the couch, leaning against several pillows and reading a book. She glanced up and did a double take, apparently startled by his appearance.

“What is this?” Drew asked, lifting up the offending pair of undergarments.

Seemingly recovered from her initial shock, May opted for sarcasm. “Boxers. Ever heard of them? I know you prefer thongs but-“

“I know what they are. Whose are they?”

“You should have just asked that the first time.” May put a bookmark in her place and shut the novel. “They are my dad’s. You didn’t think they were mine, did you?”

Drew ignored her last question. “That’s gross. I’m not going to wear your father’s Valentine lingerie.”

“Why not?”

“Because it’s gross!”

“They’re clean,” she argued.

“It’s still wrong.”

“They haven’t ever been worn, you pansy.” May stood up so she was eyelevel with him.

“How would you know that?” Drew challenged.

“Because they were at the bottom of his drawer. Speaking of which, I was really surprised that I didn’t find any of his porn. I wonder where he keeps it.”

Trying really hard to block out that unnecessary information, Drew focused on the task at hand. He still wasn’t convinced. “Look, just give me back my clothes.” He was beginning to feel a draft and didn’t want to argue with her.

May jerked her thumb in the direction where a lot of noise was coming from. “I can’t. I’m washing them.” She continued with her argument about the heart boxers. “I know for a fact that he hasn’t worn them before.”

“How?”

“Because he said he would never wear them the day that Johanna Pearl gave them to him. He didn’t think that would be sending out the right message to Ms. Pearl.”

“Oh.”

“Now…” May allowed herself a roguish smile. “I suggest you put on some clothes. You’re a little exposed. Nice chest by the way.” She couldn’t resist. She’d been dying to get back at him for the locker room incident.

Drew had the decency to blush and walked away as fast as his legs would carry him.”

+++​

“How long have we been sitting here?” Drew asked.

“An hour.”

“Is that all?” He could barely believe it. “It seems like so much longer.”

May massaged her temples. “Believe me, I know. I did not picture spending my Spring Break trying to come up with ways to help some idiot.”

“This isn’t exactly the way I imagined spending my break either. The next time Misty tries to get me to do something I’m going to scream and run away.”

“Just say no,” May quoted, grinning at Drew. He smiled back before getting serious again.

“Back to brainstorming.”

“Right.”

There was silence for almost a full five minutes before the phone rang. May jumped to her feet, relieved. “I’ll get it!”

“No, I will,” Drew said sarcastically, but it lacked malice.

“Hello? Oh, hi Misty! What are you doing?” There was a pause in which May frowned.

“Um, I don’t think I can… okay… I’ll talk to you later. Bye.” She hung up and sighed sadly.

“What was that all about?”

“It was Misty. She’s at the mall and wanted to know if I could come.”

Drew was confused. “Why did you say you couldn’t?”

May looked at him like he had a screw loose. “I promised that I would help you.”

Drew was surprised that she cared that much. It actually kind of made him feel bad for dragging her into this whole mess. “Uh, well, it’s not like we’re getting very far with this. I don’t mind if you go,” he finally was able to spit out. The reward was definitely worth it.

May’s smile was huge. It didn’t last long though. “But I don’t want to leave you here alone.”

“Who said anything about me staying here? I’m going with you.” At her skeptical expression, he continued. “I promise I’ll be on my best behavior.”

That was obviously good enough for her because she snatched up the phone and started dialing some numbers. While it was ringing she said, “Why don’t you go get changed back into your clothes? We still don’t know if what you’re wearing now is invisible.”

He didn’t bother to respond, her friend had already answered the phone.”

+++​

“One good thing about being invisible,” Drew said while stepping off the bus. “I don’t have to pay the bus fare.”

May coughed from right behind him. “Stingy shrew.” She coughed again.

“How clever,” Drew retorted. Her response was to stick her tongue out.

It didn’t take them long to find Misty. She was standing by a smoothie shop and looking at her watch. A large smile appeared on her face when she saw May. “Finally! I was about to slit my wrists. Being at the mall alone is really angst-inducingly boring.”

Being at the mall is so boring,” Drew said.

The edges of May’s mouth twitched upward. “Not if you’re willing to dish out some cash.” Her answer was directed at both Drew and Misty.

“Come on, there’s a shop I was staring at before you came. They might be giving discounts to high school students.” Misty grabbed May’s arm and dragged her into the nearest store. Drew almost had to jog to keep up; Misty was fast. Luckily for Drew and May, they were both used to Misty’s almost supersonic pace, so they did not tire easily.

As soon as they reached the confines of the store, however, May seized control and dominance. All the sales made her blue eyes twitch ominously. She forced herself and Misty to a stop at aisles and picked up a few items.

“Ooh, look at this. This would look great on you, Misty. And it’s on sale!” May lifted up a yellow sundress before shoving it into Misty’s arms and grabbing something else for herself.

By the time they made it to the dressing rooms, Misty was panting slightly and Drew was gasping for air. May’s cheeks were flushed an attractive pink and a silly grin was plastered on her face.

“I’m starting to wonder if it was a good idea to bring you here, May. You’re getting a bit overexcited,” muttered Misty as May skittered across the floorboards and grabbed another discounted dress.

Drew rolled his eyes at Misty’s comment. “‘A bit’ is understatement. More like “holy flying crap, this girl is going to burn the shop down’ overexcited. She’s panting like a yak in heat.”

“May!” Misty waved a hand in front of May, who heard Drew’s comment and was throwing pointed glares at him. Misty thrust a yellow sundress into May’s hands. “Go change into this. I picked it out especially for you.”

“Fine.”

The two girls went into fitting rooms right next to each other and Drew sat down to watch. He almost fell out of his chair when May opened the door.

“This definitely doesn’t fit,” May growled at Misty, who appeared seconds later. It certainly did not. In fact, she hadn’t even been able to button it all the way. Her glare went from Misty to Drew when he burst into laughter. She would have said something, but Misty was still there. Instead she settled for slamming the changing room door. Misty looked confused but didn’t ask.

Several hundred outfits later they emerged from the shop with one dress each and a flabbergasted Drew trailing behind them.

“All of that for one stupid dress?” Now he knew why his sisters were always out for hours when they went clothes shopping. Whatever they bought had to be perfect.

“I can strangle you in your sleep with this one dress, jerkbag,” May threatened under her breath.

“Did you say something?” Misty asked.

“No. What’s next?”

“Swimsuits.”

May blanched. “Swimsuits?” She glanced over her shoulder at a smirking Drew.

“That’s what I said. Ya deaf?” Misty said and ducked into a different store.

“Great.”

“Great!” Drew mimicked with more enthusiasm.

May started sweating when she saw what Misty wanted her to try on. “That’s not a bathing suit!”

“Sure it is!”

“Barely!” May really didn’t want Drew to see her in something like that. He was incorrigible enough as it was.

“Don’t be bashful,” Drew teased. “I’ve already seen you in your bra, remember?”

“Shut up.”

“Why?” Misty asked, clearly confused.

“Never mind.”

+++​

Misty won in the end. Of course she did. She could be a tenacious pain in the butt when she wanted to be.

May sipped her chocolate shake and tried not to let Drew see that her face was still bright red. She had to endure all of Drew’s catcalls as Misty handed her more and more bikinis. Of course, Misty had tried on her fair share, but she didn’t have to listen to Drew’s comments. May was now very aware of how much more endowed her best friend was than herself.

“That won’t work,” Drew said slyly, referring to her attempt to hide her face. He would have kept teasing her, but nature was calling. “Is there a bathroom around here somewhere?

The thought of not answering him and letting him suffer was very tempting. Then again, if she didn’t tell him he would stay around and bother her more. Best behavior, he said. Puh! She hated to think of his worst.

She pointed to the mall bathrooms discreetly. “Thank you,” Drew said before standing up and walking away.

“Finally,” May said when he was out of earshot.

“Finally what?” Misty questioned, her eyes narrowed. When May waved her question off, Misty said, “I’m really starting to worry about you. You never used to talk to yourself before… at least not this much. Is something wrong?”

“No.” The word had barely left her mouth when she felt a finger jab her in the side, right on her most ticklish spot. May jumped sky high, her stomach muscles contracting almost painfully in an effort to protect themselves. At the moment she didn’t care if Misty thought she was crazy, she was going to give Drew a piece of her mind. That had hurt! “You stupid-”

“Hi, May.”

The words died in her throat.

“A-Ash?”

“Yep.” Ash smiled, making the sides of his eyes crinkle. “Now, what were you about to call me? A stupid…?”

May laughed nervously. “Oh, never mind that! I thought you were someone else.”

Misty looked at her strangely, probably wondering who May mistook Ash for. Obviously deciding that it was a question to ask later, she turned her attention to Ash. Her cerulean eyes glossed over with some inscrutable emotion. “Do you want to sit down with us?”

“Sure.” He gave her a smile again and plopped down on the chair that Drew had previously been occupying. May chuckled inwardly. Drew would love that.

“What brings you here, dunderhead?” Misty asked the newest member to their table.

“Looking for a new shirt.”

May couldn’t help herself; she was watching Ash’s every move like some sort of predator. Ash and Misty, of course, didn’t even notice.

“You’re very obvious about your feelings.” Drew’s deep voice in her ear shot shivers down her spine.

“Am not,” she mumbled.

“May, what did I tell you about talking to yourself?” Ash said jokingly, but May was barely paying attention to his words. She was too busy watching Drew out of her peripheral vision as he sauntered up behind Ash and stood with his hands on his hips. “May?”

“Um, yea, don’t do it?”

Both Ash and Misty chuckled at that. May forced one out but was still watching Drew.

“Hey, Buddy, you’re in my seat.” Although May knew he was teasing, she couldn’t help but watch in morbid fascination. “Hmm… doesn’t look like he’s going to move. What do you think I should do, May? Just tilt his chair over perhaps?”

“No!” May cried without even thinking.

“You don’t want Ash to stay and eat with us?” Misty asked, confused once again. May vowed to herself that she really needed to pay more attention to the conversation.

“No, no, no! That’s not what I meant! I-“

“That’s right, May,” Drew taunted. “Think of an excuse fast.”

‘Shut up’ was on the tip of her tongue but she instead managed to say, “I must have misunderstood you.”

Ash and Misty accepted that explanation and went back to what they were talking about before May interrupted them.

“I was just kidding you know,” Drew said and sat down next to May. “I wouldn’t do that. After all, I did promise to be on my best behavior.”

Despite herself, May smiled. She actually would have been very entertained to see Ash and Misty’s faces.

“So, what were guys saying again? Sorry, I wasn’t paying attention,” May said to Misty after Drew settled to sitting on the floor next to Ash. Misty gave Ash a strange look and passed May a tight smile.

“Nothing much. Just about how Ash and I met for the first time. At the Northrydel Hotel.”

“Ha, you should have been there, May. It was so funny,” Ash said with a fond smile. “Some guy had accidentally pushed Misty into the swimming pool when I met her for the first time. She looked so drenched and unhappy!”

Misty choked on her milkshake and spewed some back into her glass. Drew himself felt his eyes widen at Ash’s last words. Drenched and unhappy… why did that sound so familiar? Wasn’t that something that baloney psychic said earlier?

Drew knew he hadn’t told May what exactly Madam Jessie had told Misty, only that the fraud said something really phoney and bull. What Madam Jessie meant, it couldn’t possibly be true, right?

Nah, it can’t be. I’m probably remembering it wrong, thought Drew as he watched May cluelessly ask Misty what was wrong. A little pale, Misty shook her head and reassured Ash and May that she was alright.

There’s no way in hell that psychic is on her money. No way.

Drew quickly became bored while the other three re-engaged in pleasant conversation. After he had (jokingly) threatened to tip over Ash’s chair, May was pretty much ignoring him and it wasn’t like he could talk to anyone else. Without much enthusiasm he watched May, then Misty, and finally Ash.

What was it exactly that May liked about Ash? Sure, the guy seemed nice enough and was probably good-looking from a girl’s perspective, but there had to be more to it than that, right? An idea slowly crept into his head and he had a hard time concealing his goofy smile.

Standing up, he leaned over the table to put his head between May and the others. As he suspected, she jerked back and almost fell off her chair. “What are you doing?” she demanded.

“Um, talking?” Ash offered. May’s face heated up and she stammered an explanation. When Ash’s attention was diverted, she glanced at Drew with a scowl on her face. He only smiled as an answer and sat back down.

Drew repeated his little game several times, making grotesque faces only inches away from May’s. It was taking all her effort not to laugh and became evident that both Misty and Ash thought she was going insane. That was okay with her. Maybe she really was going insane; Drew now seemed more amusing than annoying. It was a strange revelation for her that he wasn’t as bad as his first impression had led her to believe.

Drew felt a strong rumbling in his stomach and groaned inwardly. It couldn’t be helped; his body wouldn’t wait any longer. He tugged on May’s shirt to get her attention. “I hate to rain on you parade, but I’m starving.”

May nodded her head a fraction and stood up, getting her friends’ awareness. “Well, I should probably try to catch the bus home. I would eat here, but I’m in charge of making dinner for my family tonight.”

“Oh.” Misty sighed and handed May her bags. “Here you go. I’ll call you later.”

“Bye, May. Maybe I’ll see you later this week,” Ash added.

“Later!” May called over her shoulder and walked towards the mall exit.

“Sorry I made you leave,” Drew apologized. “But I might have disintegrated before your very eyes.”

“That hungry, huh?” May teased. “It’s okay. I was thinking about leaving soon anyways.” She sighed and shifted her shopping bags to her other arm.

“I can help you carry those, you know.”

May smiled at him and laughed good naturedly. “Thanks, but I don’t think these people,” she gestured at everyone around them, “are accustomed to floating bags.”

“Oh, that’s right,” Drew said sheepishly. “I guess I forgot.”

“Let’s just get to the bus,” May said, effectively ending the conversation for the time being.

Drew, frowning slightly, stopped and turned around to stare at the table Ash and Misty were sitting at. Misty had this strange, glazed look over her eyes as Ash prattled on, even placing her hand on his every now and then. The two of them really seemed to be in sync with each other, in sync to such an extent that –

“Hey, stop staring like a panfried mullet and get your act together! Don’t you want to go home and eat dinner?” May hissed as she tugged at Drew’s ear. He grumbled as he allowed May to drag him to the bus station, led painfully by the ear like a prize donkey.

However, a nauseous feeling in his gut pooled in his gut, causing a pain strongly than the stinging pinpricks emanating from May’s fingers around his ear lobe. A queasy feeling that arose whenever Drew thought about Madam Jessie’s words and Ash and Misty, seated together with only eyes for each other. Didn’t May like Ash? But wasn’t Misty her best friend?

Drew chewed on his lower lip and gave May a piercing stare. May, how am I supposed to tell you that the guy you like… may be promised to someone else?

End of Chapter Four​

Yay, new chapter!8D

I really enjoy this story because it has an interesting plot and I like the fact you manage to keep everyone in-character. I'm not a very good critic -if one at all- but I just love this story, and I'm so glad you updated it. :)

Awesome job, and can't wait for chapter 5! ; )

Hollypaw's_cool14

Jayfeather is too
This is great, things are really starting to heat up!
Will Drew actually tell May about Misty and Ash or will May figure it out somehow?
“Hey, stop staring like a panfried mullet and get your act together! Don’t you want to go home and eat dinner?” May hissed as she tugged at Drew’s ear.
What's a panfried mullet? It sounds really funny.
Take your time, just don't forget about it.

Angelique

transcending love~
Thanks for the reviews, Midnight Sun and Hollypaw's_cool14. Your support and comments really means a lot to me and I appreciate it tonnes.

Also, I know this is late, but I'd like to use this opportunity to thank anyone who nominated'voted for me and this fic in the Shipping Oscars! Being awarded the "Cutest Fanfic" Award is fantastic and I can't thank everyone enough for it! Once again, thanks!

Chapter Five will be coming before the end of this week, hopefully.

MapleRoses

Jaejoong is HERO
Wow. You're incredible. No, I mean it. Are you a newbie or a veteran?

Ok, i'm going to review this. I like your plot. It's flowing nicely and easy to catch. What I liked most is the humor side.

“Oh ho!” May let out a breath of irritation. “My bellyaching? You’re the one that just couldn’t wait 30 minutes for my dad and brother to go to work!” She was trying to keep her voice down but Drew was really testing her patience. It was bad enough that she had to stay in the bathroom with him so her family wouldn’t get suspicious of the toilet magically filling and flushing on its own, but now he was blaming it on her.

*laughs*
Drew can see May in bra and May can't see him pee? XDDD

“Now…” May allowed herself a roguish smile. “I suggest you put on some clothes. You’re a little exposed. Nice chest by the way.” She couldn’t resist. She’d been dying to get back at him for the locker room incident.

Drew had the decency to blush and walked away as fast as his legs would carry him.”
*laughs loudly even cockroaches fly away*
PAYBACK TIME! Muahahaha
XP