• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Iota's Fake Pokémon

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Iota's Fake Pokémon

My Fakedex is 400 Pokémon strong, so I thought I should start it up again. These are all scratched unless stated otherwise.

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Pokémon; however, these designs are mine and only losers copy.

001: Kiweed - Seedling Pokémon - Grass
001KiweedV2.png

002: Ostrud - Budding Pokémon - Grass
002OstrudV2.png

004: Heant - Heat Pokémon - Fire/Bug
004HeantV2.png

007: Cygflap - Cygnet Pokémon - Water
007CygflapV2.png

Last edited:

Rapid Distortion!

Amateur Philosopher
Hmmm. I think its a good idea what you have planned, cause you definitely need work with your scratched sprites and practice will give it to you. The structure is sloppy, looks like you didnt even care when you messed up. Not trying to discourage you tho, keep it up man.

EDIT: Found biggest problem with scratch: entire outline is black. Thats a no no. Look at existing Pokemon sprites. Intricate shaded borader.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Thanks. I've edited the scratch to get rid of the entirely black outline, so I hope it's slightly better. I agree that the whole scratch sprite is a tad...messy, so I will keep on trucking and attempt to make my newer sprites a lot tidier, as well as cleaning up older ones as I improve.

Again, thanks for your criticism.

For some reason, although I've uploaded the new version onto my photobucket, the newer picture won't show up on the thread.

Iota

Last edited:

PurpleMew

no promises
Is this your first full scratch sprite ?

If it is then it's actually a really good job and can look back at it to show how much you have improved. So to help you improve here are a couple pointers. When making rounded edges always make sure you don't have square bits like you have on the eyes when looking from the front. The design is very similar to Natu but forgetting that it is very simple and doesn't represent a seed Pokemon to me but a fluffy chicken with an attached face part. The shading is very off in certain places like round the legs and on the face attachment, take in to consideration that only one light source is needed and that means the whole body should be shaded the same including add ons or attachments.

But it is a very good try. Take in the points to improve and I'll be back to see if you have made any improvements on shading and roundness.

Good job though :)

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Thanks a lot, Purple Mew. Shading has always been something I've been afraid to attempt, mainly because I can't picture a main light source. I have, however, seen some tutorials that suggest placing a shape where you want the light to come from and work off that, so I think I'll do that to improve.

I think before I attempt to fix Kiweed more, I'm going to finish off and post the fire-type starter and then the water-type starter, just so I have more substance and more material to work from.

Again, thanks so much for your advice.

Iota

pika3

Snowball attack, go!
Okay, I thought I'd give this another go. My Fakedex is 400 Pokémon strong, so I thought I should start it up again. What I'm going to be doing from the start is a scratch sprite, and a spliced sprite of the same Pokémon.

001: Kiweed - Seed Pokémon - Grass
001Kiweed.jpg
001KiweedSplice.jpg

The Splice version is actuallt pretty good. The beak needs changed some because it looks bent, and bird beaks shouldn't be bent.

The scratch is facing us too much, it should be facing to the left (not full on side veiw though). Rapid Distortion! and PurpleMew pretty much summed everything else up.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Thanks much. I was thinking Kiweed faced the eyes too much, too. The next stage in its evolution is full-on sideways as well, so I think both of those need sorting out. I also agree with you on the spliced version's beak, it is slighly askew.

All should be sorted soon. Thanks a lot.

Iota

PurpleMew

no promises
Thanks a lot, Purple Mew. Shading has always been something I've been afraid to attempt, mainly because I can't picture a main light source. I have, however, seen some tutorials that suggest placing a shape where you want the light to come from and work off that, so I think I'll do that to improve.

I think before I attempt to fix Kiweed more, I'm going to finish off and post the fire-type starter and then the water-type starter, just so I have more substance and more material to work from.

Again, thanks so much for your advice.

Iota

It's my pleasure. Don't be afraid to try new things, if you want to have a quick tester of how it will work, make a circle and just shade it and see how it comes out. It's just a quick shading test you can do to see what things you need to improve. Just try them out and use all the skill you have learned and use it to make your fire type starter and make sure when you name it have it look at least something like it's Pokemon type. Like your seed Pokemon, it looked nothing like a seed. Just make sure you use everything you learn and make the shading look right.

No problem again and good luck with the next Pokemon.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
I've edited the original sprite, but I've done a new version of Kiweed and posted it in the centre. Here, I have two/six new sprites. The first is the evolution of Kiweed, Ostrud, and the second is the fire-type starter, Heant.

Both sets of sprites go Original Scratched Version/New Scratched Version/Spliced Version.

Just to let everyone know, the original sprite I used for the spliced versions are Natu, Doduo and (believe it or not) Paras.

Hope you enjoy.

Iota

Last edited:

PurpleMew

no promises
I've edited the original sprite, but I've done a new version of Kiweed and posted it in the centre. Here, I have two/six new sprites. The first is the evolution of Kiweed, Ostrud, and the second is the fire-type starter, Heant.

002Ostrud.jpg
002OstrudV2.jpg
002OstrudSplice.jpg

004Heant.jpg
004HeantV2.jpg
004HeantSplice.jpg

Both sets of sprites go Original Scratched Version/New Scratched Version/Spliced Version.

Just to let everyone know, the original sprite I used for the spliced versions are Natu, Doduo and (believe it or not) Paras.

Hope you enjoy.

Iota

I'm glad you took into consideration the things I said and nice job on shading the ball for practice. Ostrud is a very nice desgin and looks very nice but you need more layers of shading because it looks 2D a little. The detail and everything like that is very good and is improved from your first sprite. In this instance using the other Pokemon shows me more of what the Pokemon should look like but only use other sprites if you seriously can't make your sprite look the way you want too and make sure you reshade if you do. Congrats on being better with detail but I'm afraid the shading still need a little more work. Heant just wow'd me and have one thing to say, NEVER outline the whole sprite in black, it makes it look tacky and it is so unproffesional. The detail on this sprite isn't very good as the other one and the look of the sprite in general is off and the teeth/jaw doen't look right. It also seems you saved it as JPEG because it looks fuzzy but remember always save as PNG. You also need to work on the detail you have on the flame because it doesn't look like one and for this and only this I'd suggest using another Pokemons fire but only if you absoluty fail everytime at making it. To finish off the crit, the flying sparky things or smell odour things coming off it's face is un-needed and looks tacky.

:)

Rapid Distortion!

Amateur Philosopher
Yeah, as Purple Mew says, the heat lines coming off him aren't necessary. Ya know what, just take everything he^ said and read it again as if i was re-iterating it. lol... plus, yo still need real work done on focusing on how each pixel looks when you add it to a scratch sprite. Look at Heant. Look at the fire, and the jaws... and the legs... They all look awkward. Especially the fire. The black outline is coming back in this sprite that I mentioned before and P.M. just mentioned again. When i said it at first, I didn't mean it just looked bad on Kiweed, I meant never outline a sprite in all or mostly black. Should actually come out to a little over or under half black. Anyway, I'm not sure what the second sprites in each box are, but they actually look really nice. Ostrud especially. Good work, you're improving. Keep it up.

pika3

Snowball attack, go!

002Ostrud.jpg
002OstrudV2.jpg
002OstrudSplice.jpg

004Heant.jpg
004HeantV2.jpg
004HeantSplice.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

Iota

Once again the others have everythign pretty much covered. I like your new scratch of Ostrud, and the splice of it is pretty good too.

Heant's new scratch is too small, unless Heant is supposed to be smaller than Diglett (0'08"). They splice of him is odd too. What did you use for the jaws, they look akward? The heat-lines are not nessasary.

Good work, I can see you improving already.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
I'm not sure what the second sprites in each box are, but they actually look really nice.

The second sprites in each row are my new scratches, while the first ones are the original before I edited or in most cases redid them completely.

To everyone, the smoke coming from Heant's "volcano turrets" is necessary for me, similar to Torkoal's sprite. The smoke is a part of Heant that is always present, and if not shown in sprite form it will never be seen, since it's not going to be in any other form.

Thanks for the crit though from all three of you. RD, on the outline thing, I took your advice into consideration for the centre sprites, and that's why they have NO black whatsoever in the outlines. The first one's are just to show my improvements, although I may just remove them at the point when I've become good enough to show my sprites without the manipulated existing ones.

Also, for Heant's teeth on the altered Paras, I used Paras' own teeth and emulated the style downwards, although I agree now I look at it again that the jaw on the left looks odd.

Iota

pika3

Snowball attack, go!
The second sprites in each row are my new scratches, while the first ones are the original before I edited or in most cases redid them completely.

To everyone, the smoke coming from Heant's "volcano turrets" is necessary for me, similar to Torkoal's sprite. The smoke is a part of Heant that is always present, and if not shown in sprite form it will never be seen, since it's not going to be in any other form.

Thanks for the crit though from all three of you. RD, on the outline thing, I took your advice into consideration for the centre sprites, and that's why they have NO black whatsoever in the outlines. The first one's are just to show my improvements, although I may just remove them at the point when I've become good enough to show my sprites without the manipulated existing ones.

Also, for Heant's teeth on the altered Paras, I used Paras' own teeth and emulated the style downwards, although I agree now I look at it again that the jaw on the left looks odd.

Iota

Um I don't think RD ment to use no black at all. You need black for the darkest places on the sprite's outline.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Okay everyone, here's the water-type starter, based on a cygnet. I only have the scratch at the moment, and I've still got some things I can improve on with it, but I think it looks okay at the moment.

007Cygflap.jpg

I would have to say most of you Pokemon are lacking detail. I know this because I still suffer from it too. Your Cygflap pokemon looks just like any ordinary duck. Try to make it look more like a Pokemon, give it a design or change the sizes of the body parts to make it look less like a duck. Also, as many people have probably said before, save as .PNG, it will look better and you will not lose any color. Thats all for now. ^^

PurpleMew

no promises
Okay everyone, here's the water-type starter, based on a cygnet. I only have the scratch at the moment, and I've still got some things I can improve on with it, but I think it looks okay at the moment.

007Cygflap.jpg

What can I say? It looks exactly like your grass starter evo. They are too incredabily the same. Everything seems to be in order with detail and the shading but some bits are off. The top of the beak looks bumpy and needs to be smoothed out along with back. But back to the point, it looks too much like Ostrud. Try a new pose and maybe not relate it to a bird because it just make it so unoriginal. ALSO IT SEEMS YOUR SPRITES LOOK JPEG, ALWAYS USE PNG.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
I agree with you that Cygflap looked too similar to Ostrud, so with that in mind I have revamped it too. However, there is no question upon what it's based on, since it took me an incredibly long time after I ditched my old water-starter (a bubble) to decide what to replace it with.

Here is the newly improved Cygflap. Hope you like it:
007CygflapV2.png

Also, they've all been changed to a PNG. save file.

Iota

Last edited:

pika3

Snowball attack, go!
I agree with you that Cygflap looked too similar to Ostrud, so with that in mind I have revamped it too. However, there is no question upon what it's based on, since it took me an incredibly long time after I ditched my old water-starter (a bubble) to decide what to replace it with.

Here is the newly improved Cygflap. Hope you like it:
007CygflapV2.png

Also, they've all been changed to a PNG. save file.

Iota

I like him he is cute. You need to use black in some places on the outline, not the whole outline, but in that darker places.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Would black be acceptable where there is the most shade, then? I always assumed that black was a big no-no, since I was always repremanded for using it, but it needs to be mixed.

Where is it better to use black?

Iota