• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Iris and Cilan [spoil]ing discussion. (Unconfirmed, happening in Aug/Sept)

Status
Not open for further replies.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
False advertisement to be honest. It's become the norm in this anime, which speaks volumes.

Reminds me of Spongebob lol

I also don't think Iris is leaving, the word "Sayonara" is under the picture of Iris and Cilan...and the picture of Ash and Butterfree. For all we know, Cilan could be crying for a different reason (probably a stupid one, too :p ).

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
False advertising to be honest. It's become the norm in this anime, which speaks volumes. I don't expect my good sis Iris to leave in the middle of this arc as has been implied though. There's still time for her to develop and I see no reason for the writers to get rid of her. At best I can see her learning from Clair and being motivated to try harder to reach her goal.

But isn't she leaving by August/September? That should be around the end of the series, right?

RickHoenn

Banned
I'll miss Iris. :(

But I want two new companions for X & Y anime, so good riddance, they had their time, NO need for a another generation with the same characters, that's STALE.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

But I want two new companions for X & Y anime, so good riddance, they had their time, NO need for a another generation with the same characters, that's STALE.

I agree, I'm afraid that this will happen if both stay for another generation, especially if it's going to be a 4 year series like DP.

pokemon fan 132

And that about sums up the Johto region right there :p

Depends for who. Because i had no issues with main cast in Johto still enjoying in Ash, Brock and MIsty as characters coming of as enjoyable when having chance to shine, along with creating close bond building on friendship(which came to expression most in departure episode). As well most of growth for Misty happening there not only through Whirl Cup, but various episodes where she bond with pokemon growing as trainer and person becoming more independent and responsible.

My main problem with Johto was more with lack of direction for writers to take anime forward at that time, too many fillers and drop of promising plots like GS ball damaging main cast chance to get more focus and role to play.

Either way now 11 years later in future i think its safe to say how writers improved in handling characters knowing how to write for long arcs (Johto was their first try), and if any of current Ash companions stay i won't object to it being interested in what new, fun directions writers might take them developing interactions becoming stronger as friends along with making steps forward with their stories taking advantage of already somewhat developed characters reaching new levels.

RVD_fan

Iris I think has pretty much run her course, she really hasn't had much to do since the battle with Drayden. She's also a very iconic gen V character who might seem out of place in gen VI. I am looking forward to how much better she'll be if/when she returns in gen VI. I'm guessing she'll have caught a Druddigon at least.

Cilan I could live with again if they gave him some more interesting subplots. There are some places left to go for his character. However, I don't know how much they want to promote a specifically gen V character. Brock was around so long that he just kind of stuck. Cilan I don't see having that same kind of staying power. If he does stay, he needs to drop off his Pokemon outside of Pansage.

As much as Brock sticking around annoyed me, mainly because I was tired of his character, I did enjoy the relationship with him and Ash at the start of each season because of their shared history, and I think Ash + old friend + new friend is better than two new friends. I'm not too attached to Cilan, but I think it would be some nice continuity to ease into the new generation if he joined Ash from the start.

Last edited:

RickHoenn

Banned
And that about sums up the Johto region right there :p

1. Johto wasn't a new generation..
2. I didn't mind Brock & Misty staying for another region, they're my favorite characters after Ash.
3. I enjoyed Johto in its original run, it was fun.

It's a matter of opinión after all.

I repeat Cilan & Iris staying for another 4 years is STALE imo, so altough I like them I hope the writers dump them for good when X & Y anime comes around. ;)

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
2. I didn't mind Brock & Misty staying for another region, they're my favorite characters after Ash of course.
3. I enjoyed Johto in its original run so I didn't care.

I repeat Cilan & Iris staying for another 4 years is STALE, so altough I like them I hope the writers dump them for good when X & Y anime comes around. ;)
When was Johto not a new generation? Did you see Totodile's in Gen 1?

Iris I think has pretty much run her course, she really hasn't had much to do since the battle with Drayden.

What show have you been watching? Iris has done something in pretty much every episode of this n arc

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
2. I didn't mind Brock & Misty staying for another region, they're my favorite characters after Ash.
3. I enjoyed Johto in its original run, it was fun.

It's a matter of opinión after all.

I repeat Cilan & Iris staying for another 4 years is STALE imo, so altough I like them I hope the writers dump them for good when X & Y anime comes around. ;)

That all depends on how they are handled next region, if it's likec Brock then I would have to agree but if they get treated like May then them staying wouldn't be too bad.

RVD_fan

What show have you been watching? Iris has done something in pretty much every episode of this n arc
I mean things unique to her character. She battles and helps out when there's a problem but nothing that couldn't have been done by anyone else in her position.

RickHoenn

Banned
They'll most likely become stale because of how lazy the writers are.

True. I enjoyed Best Wishes but Cilan right now is just... ugh, I don't think I can't stand 4 years more of him but that's just me. :x

Meanwhile I think they gave Iris nice development, and a great ending for her is staying with Clair in training or going back to her hometown and be a dragon gym leader. :)

ludiloco

That's enough for them, they had their time to develop, Iris did more than Dento, and finally they're leaving for good.

That's me talking serious and not mean to troll, but I won't miss them.

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
Many of you are wondering if Iris and Ciulan are leaving early and the possible consequences.

For the sake to have a bit of normality in this show, I hope that they leave in the last /second last episode of Best Wishes or that at least Cilan doesn't really leave. HOwever, BEst WIshes is so rare that this is the least possible option.

The precedents are that the information of sayonara was revealed at the end of March (very early) while the games are released in October. But the games are released worldwide and although in all the countries seems impossible to catch up I see the writers attempting to catch up with USA by airing early in Japan XY episodes. THe other two options is a 2-month break of the show in Japan or airing in Japan special episodes.

If both Iris and Cilan leave, where they leave and in what episode. First and all, the poster of the anime festa reeals all the islands where DA is placed meaning that there will be 0-2 episodes apart of the revealed ones. That gives the series to late July or early August to leave Iris and Cilan, 2 months before the games are released.

Remember that the series has 1 episode in April, 5 in May, 4 in June, 3 in July, 5 in August (needs to be cut 1 for Naruto) and 4 in September.

With this, there are 3 possible outcomes:
-They air the XY anime early to catch up internationally before the games came out (max. 2 months).
-The departure won't be until late-September when the gang is already in Kanto and it will be like normal.

And the last one: they leave Iris and Cilan early but the series will have episodes in Kanto until October. But remember that Ash isn't travelling alone for about 8 episodes. The possible problem is that Ash will have to be alone... or we can predict that the "I love Marine" and "I love Gothic" (succesors of I love Eevee) with releases in July and September are relevant to the anime like the BW Kids sets and Dawn and Brock are making a (re)cameo.

The latter (Brock) isn't really a problem because we are waiting a cameo of him and he don't have many reasons to come back he has less reasons). But the fomer (Dawn) doesn't really need another cameo and she has more reasons to come to re-joining the main cast (however and in theory Contest should be in the games) mainly because of her Piplup (that thing is loved in Japan and gives money to the writers).

When we could speculate that a older character are returning to the main cast?
Exactly, if Dawn reappears when Ash isn't travelling with at least Iris with a Gen VI pokemon in her team and there isn't any female character confirmed or she has like 15 years old.

But the writers are never bringing back older characters? In normal circunstances, clearly no. But in special circunstances, the writers can bring older characters to the show if the circunstances are right. And there's the precedent that TR are reverting back to the old personalities and in DA they appear to fully return their old personalities.

Some notes:
Misty and May leave too long ago to have reasons to rejoining the cast.
If Brock come back, Croagunk could return. If Dawn come back, Piplup will return. But they aren't bring back neither the rest of their teams or the past rivals.
Ash and Pikachu (almost) will go to XY. If Ash catches another pokemon, it probably will go. And Oshawott can return of XY and not for evolving into Dewott and more to being a hogger screentime.
Team Rocket are expect to revert to being funny and I see Wobbuffet back.
I see Eevee in the main cast of the XY anime.
If Cilan stays, Pansage could return. And if somehow Iris stays, Axew or Emolga could return.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
But isn't she leaving by August/September? That should be around the end of the series, right?

Do we know for certain when she's supposed to leave? All I know is that one of the new images was captioned "sayonara" and everyone assumes that Iris will leave with Clair.

Huh. I don't understand how someone could declare that they like a character and will miss them, while at the same time shading them by saying that the anime would be stale if they stayed. That's practically an oxymoron imo.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
All Cilan would need to not be stale is a new Pokemon, possibly one the pushes him closer to his Connoisseur goal

Or Purrloin since it would develop on his fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.