• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Iris and Excadrill Against the Dragon Buster! (695)

So Superpower is basically a big energy punch? I was kinda hoping something like the Spirit Bomb from DBZ.

If you're talking about Beartic's punch attack, that's actually Rock Smash. Which makes sense why it would affect Excadrill since it's a fighting move and Excadrill's part steel.

jscholfield

Pokemon Breeder
If you're talking about Beartic's punch attack, that's actually Rock Smash. Which makes sense why it would affect Excadrill since it's a fighting move and Excadrill's part steel.

superpowers a fighting type attack too

RickHoenn

Banned
Langley is a *****. :D

Amazing episode and development for Iris, Excadrill is uber! and Drillbur was cute, Iris 1st pokemon. Drayden's flashbacks were cool.

I hope Langley turns into Iris' recurring rival, I like this rude, inconsiderate *****! :p It's nice to have a balance, not everything has to be extremely friendly.

Iris is really proving herself! 10/10

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
This episode was good, although they could have played out Excadrill's refusal to fight for a bit longer. But if this means Excadrill will fight more often, then I'm alright with it.

TheEpicGoomba

Definatly one of my favorite episodes ever. I loved the flash back scenes, I loveed the back story and how Excadrill isn't just lazy lke Charizard and Mamoswine were he was just too ashamed. I loved seeng Drayden and Haxorus for the first time, they both seemed very strong. I love the little fail montage of Iris and how she saved Drilbur. Langley was a bit of a douche. Beartic was cool to see for the first time. I am super glad Excadrill beat it yet it also being defeated in the process. I am also glad for Excadrill to learn Focus blast and to listen to Iris.

10/10

Champion Jared 14

It seems like we were wrong about Iris' experience as far as being a trainer...She already had battling experience before she met with Ash and Cilan, beating trainers in a tournament with Drilbur/Excadrill, and even being bold enough to challenge Drayden, who I guess is considered a Dragon Master.

People only though she was a beginner because of how inexperienced and young Axew was, and Excadrill not listening to her...But we just didn't know why...at least not until now.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Funny how even though this is a great episode, there isn't much to talk about that wasn't mentioned before.

Most of the above posts are basically the same.

Great episode though.

Hmm... now with Axew mastering Dragon Rage, and Excadrill obeying again, its time for an Emolga epsiode!

Graham Aker

That Drilburr must have had some flawless IV's or something. Exactly how many battles did Iris, and Drilburr win....Did they mention a number?

jscholfield

Pokemon Breeder
Except that there are two different explanations for it.

Did Excadrill blame Iris, or did Excadrill blame himself? Which is it?

he blamed iris mostly but himself as well

Salamandre

^aker
could jsut be the species as a whole remember when charizard went to charazific valley:)

but speaking of charizard this episode really showed how entertaining that old plot device still is. And now i consider oshawott to be amazing as it is but when it evolves it should technically become more prideful and absesed with honor bieng based of the daimayo samurai(just look at samurott's face). So hopefully if that does happen the writers could use that plot again on it. I would think it would make him even enjoyable to watch

Dax

Legend
Iris' story is one of the most interesting stories I've seen. There's still mystery surrounding her, Drayden and her village.

Langely was an okay character but she seems to be a great trainer. Regardless of the many problems her team has, Iris is a strong trainer. The way she raised Excadrill was great especially considering how little she was. I guess this is what Drayden saw in her that made him do that signal to the elder.

Overall one of the best episodes I've seen. Loving Iris, just loving her. <3

Jash Thor

Bringer of Lombax
Real my butt.. Writers of kids shows don't put real characters in this show. They put over the top characters in this show because coarse characters are easy to understand for the little kids.

Take Dawn for instance: I loooooove cute little pokeymonz!
-> About halfway through the saga she gets one of the bigger pokemon: Mamoswine, and it immediatly becomes her problem. The little kids would go: 'oh well, that's understandable as she only likes little pokemon', when that's completely illogical when you think about it... But it makes sense for the little kids, hence Suny's frustration..

I'll agree the characters aren't mirror images of their real-world counterparts. That doesn't mean they don't have real aspects. People feel happy, sad, and angry all the time. Sometimes they're subtle, sometimes they're anything but. So I'll agree that these characters are exaggerated at times, but that doesn't mean they don't have any basis in reality.

Which is why it becomes unfair to accuse the writers of poor quality for making a character you dislike. Langley is an exaggerated personality...just like everyone else. If Sunyshore is frustrated with the embellished qualities of every character, then I understand his point. Otherwise, he simply doesn't like Langley's personality. If you encountered somebody in your life who did something incredibly rude, would you think he/she isn't a real person? Maybe you would (which would be odd), but most likely you wouldn't. Langley is self-absorbed and mean. She's not a poorly written character, just an unlikable one.

Also, I'm not quite sure what point you were making with Dawn. Didn't she originally capture a Swinub, which unexpectedly evolved into a large Mamoswine? What's illogical here? Life throws you curve balls. Dawn didn't mean to catch Mamoswine, she caught Swinub, which fits perfectly with her preference for "cute little pokeymonz!" She never anticipated Mamoswine. She then had to grow and adjust. Just like people do all the time when they encounter problems.

EDIT: Also, amidst the debate, I forgot to mention how phenomenal this episode was. Everything was top notch: story, animation, and even the music. Lots of great development and foreshadowing (Shaga and the elderly woman). I'm very curious to see what's in store for Iris.

Last edited:
I liked the episode. It was good, except for Langley. She was annoying.

Dax

Legend
I think it's obvious the writers want Langely to be irritating, annoying and rude. It's just their way of making the audience root for Iris since they'll dislike her rival so much. Seems like a good strategy to me.

^I know that. The writers always do it.

sunyshore.com

Electric Obsession
i understand i am playing into it, that they make these characters extremely annoying for a reason, and yes, i have known real people in my life who act this way. i said i hate these characters being in pokemon, i don't think i said SHE was "poor writing" though. if i did well, it's 5:40 AM XD i will explain what i do think is poor writing, however.

okay, here is my real problem, and i mentioned it multiple times as well. the lack of response. why do they all just stand there like idiots letting this girl act reprehensible? it almost gives the message "it's okay to act like this, nobody will stop you", and this happens all the time in pokemon. characters entire personalities will change based on if the plot calls for nasty behaviour to be okay, or not okay. when it should ALWAYS be not okay.

dento threw a fit over a single leaf falling into his stew. but he just stands there doing nothing when this girl eats the entire breakfast he made?

ash almost always loses it over food. hell, the entire shaymin/ash relationship started because she ate their pancakes. ash will have a reaction to a tiny cute pokemon that looks half dead eating pancakes, but not to this girl, who's already expressly stated her trainer's goal is to seek out dragon trainers from ryuu no sato and destroy them?

so i suppose i do think there is poor writing going on somewhat, but it's nothing that we don't see all the time... main character's entire personalities changing if necessary for an episode's one-time plot... meh!!

let me say something else that bothered me. WHY WHY did iris send out her low-level little kibago against that gigantic bear?? that baby could barely defeat a level one, newly hatched zuruggu and she sends it out against the bear. i know it finally mastered its move but that doesn't automatically mean it can defeat high-leveled opponents...who are ice-type... poor poor little baby.

for the record. i did NOT hate this episode. but i was extremely frustrated with how some characters acted so weirdly.

Last edited:

Graham Aker

i

let me say something else that bothered me. WHY WHY did iris send out her low-level little kibago against that gigantic bear?? that baby could barely defeat a level one, newly hatched zuruggu and she sends it out against the bear. i know it finally mastered its move but that doesn't automatically mean it can defeat high-leveled opponents...who are ice-type... poor poor little baby.

They obviously did that so Kibago, could win later. Iris tieing with Excadrill doesn't really prove anything to Langley as of right now.

Last edited: