1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Iris and the Rogue Dragonite! (750)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Black & White - Rival Destinies' started by Serebii, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Shneak

Shneak this is a Nessa/Oleana stan account ✨

I liked the episode. I like Dragonite. I like Dragonite with Iris.

I like how they haven't immediately made a bond yet, but they have something there. It leaves room for development. The circumstances are different because I knew next to nothing about the episode, and I thought the capture would be more forced and Dragonite would be more overpowered. It's not so, in my opinion.

I like the appearances of Hydreigon, Ferrothorn and Magmortar too.

2. JennaJayfeather

JennaJayfeather jflkdjkfgjafgaf

"Kodomo ne" is Japanese, not Iris.

3. Hihiroshi

Hihiroshi <- Waifu

"these complains are so annoying but they are my flame bait for discussions with no reasons so I enjoy them" <- I think that is kinda close to speaking Iris xD I may be a little off lol ^-^

4. XXD17

XXD17 Draco rex

I like this episode...for a predictable plot it had enough going to make it entertaining and tsundere d-nite is an great pokemon...I like it...

5. dman_dustin

dman_dustin Well-Known Member

I don't think "predictable" is the right word either.

After all you can't argue that something was predictable if events were spoiled beforehand.

It's kind of like cheating your gullible/naive friend of money when betting on a fight that already took place, and you "know" the outcome.

Predictability really can only be applied if one were to make a random prediction, that turned out correct. Or in the beginning of the episode you figure out what's going to happen (like in horror mystery movies you figure out who did it and why before that information is revealed).

"Spoiled" is probably the right word. And I kind of have to agree that in some cases being "spoiled" can ruin someone's interest in an episode from anything. It's nice to be spoiled about the Pokemon Team Changes so you have something to look forward.

Reading a heavily spoiler review about the next Pokemon movie on the other hand, can make one ask "what's the point of watching this, if I already know what happens?" But when you want to watch something for the first time, you probably want to be as free from spoilers as possible.

6. fubufubu

fubufubu Well-Known Member

i can't believe they gave iris a dragonite......at least they gave it a personality similar to excadrill......giving iris the most powerful pokemon type is bad enough.....but giving her a pseudo legendary is going way way too far!

7. gohan5

gohan5 Irisboy

I liked the episode as well, I'm not sure what's the big deal about predictability or blandness or whatever was on the last page. It was an above average episode if you don't analyze it under a microscope. Hell a majority of the series is "predictable" so I don't see what the problem was here. Easily my favorite of the BWS2 episodes so far, mainly because we finally got the Dawn trying to integrate with the group out of the way.

As for Iris being alone with Dragonite, well I don't think it would have worked out any other way given Dragonite's apparent distrust of humans. The only thing I felt was convenient was the camera thing that Dento and the others found, but I realize that was done so they could at least keep him involved in some way. I don't think that the camera itself was convenient, since they made it quite clear that they have been watching Dragonite closely, but the fact that it was Dento and the others to find it was. That was really the only nitpick I had though.

I don't think the episode was too hyped or anything, it's mainly because people found out that she actually got the Dragonite that diminished their interest. I mean it's easy to tell who did or didn't like the episode based on if they liked the news of Iris getting it. That's all and well, but it's just too bad that it affects people's enjoyment so much.

8. JennaJayfeather

Let me explain...and it doesn't take a microscope.

First part we see Hydreigon battle Dragonite.

OOh look! We've seen that in a preview!

Jenny battles it with a bunch of different Pokemon that we thought were tourney Pokemon!

OOOH look! We've seen that in a preview!

Iris's hand lights up and she finds out what was wrong with Dragonite

OOOH look! We've seen part of that in the preview!

Iris catches Dragonite.

OOOH LOOK that wasn't in the preview but we found out anyway.

Then pretty much everything else was put together in the first preview. -_-

Just imagine going into this episode with no idea of what would happen. It would have been much better, but due to it being spoilered it just took away from the episode.

Though something is off with BW2 in general. I was discussing this with Loko last night and while we have different opinions on this I feel it's too advertisement heavy...and there are just too many characters that they have to juggle to where it feels stuffy. :/

9. gohan5

gohan5 Irisboy

I don't see the problem, even if we saw all that nobody, or very few, were actually able to put them all together and knew exactly what happened. It was still a common thought that the Magnemite were the cause instead, so it wasn't that predictable. Regardless, I'd rather not go into this. Simply put, I saw all of the stuff that you saw and still was genuinely interested and wasn't sure how everything came together until the end. It was no more predictable than the other episodes.

10. JennaJayfeather

It depends on the person though. Sometimes people enjoy things more without spoilers for it. I just think the parts that were spoilered were some of the best parts.

11. gohan5

gohan5 Irisboy

I really don't think that's the issue, but I've said what I wanted. I disagree, the best parts I felt were actually seeing Dragonite's inner turmoil and his eventual trust in Iris.

12. JennaJayfeather

It didn't help with the fandom bullying this episode either. :/ True, but at the same time I still think this episode would have been mind blowing if not for the spoilers. Don't get me wrong, I think it's one of the better episodes of BW2 (honestly there's not really one that I want to watch over and over yet...mostly just cutting to the chase) but it's still not as great as some of the episodes in BW. :/

13. gohan5

gohan5 Irisboy

That's really what it comes down to I believe, looking at some of the responses. I don't know about mind blowing, and really people don't have to spoil themselves so yeah. My point is that even with the spoilers I don't think it was ruined or lost much of anything, the main issue of the episode hadn't been spoiled which I believe was most important. I just felt people were analyzing it too much and not giving it a fair chance for enjoyment. I mean really I didn't think this episode was bad or convenient or bland or what have you by BW standards.

14. JennaJayfeather

Well honestly I didn't even watch the episode and probably won't until I take a hiatus from the fandom for a while. I'm just sick of it and at the moment. -_- I still believe it was spoilered too much. Yes, you can stay away from spoilers, but it does get pretty hard when you have topics that come up. Believe me, I was originally going to stay away from Spoilers at BW14...XD

15. gohan5

gohan5 Irisboy

Oh then what are you arguing for? It's not the same if you actually watch it.

16. RVD_fan

RVD_fan Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed this episode, though the capture was spoiled for me, it was well paced and really gave Iris a chance to shine. I'd like to see a trainer capture that Hydreigon at some point so the two can renew their rivalry.

17. Joltik-Kid

Joltik-Kid Another year of wasting my life ಠ_ಠ

When you put it that way, you make a compelling argument.

Is it so wrong that I wished it would have turned out different and Dragonite was the reason for the BO?

18. JennaJayfeather

My argument is that "I believe people were spoilered too much for this episode, and thus it created a bland or predictable feeling to the viewers." That's what I'm saying.

19. gohan5

gohan5 Irisboy

And my point was that didn't seem to be the underlying problem when I read the reviews. I do believe that some people felt that way though, and that's understandable.

20. joep05

joep05 master of disaster

tell you what...that is one grumpy dragonite :D, i always think of dragonites as happy (somewhat dopey looking), innocent beasts, iris should so go on to become something like a gym leader or something like that, a pokemon like dragonite COULD well be on this mythical grandmasters pokemon arsenal.