• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Iris comeback speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pteranodonte

At least she didn't praise every inch of ground ash stepped on like some other girl....not gonna mention names, but...

All the girls were just a waste of time and resources. They add nothing to the plot and their goals are boring.

Navin

MALDREAD
So glad the haters aren't writing this show, otherwise we'd never get a competent female character that's not a typical cute female character. I also find it amusing how the haters never point out the flaws in Iris, they simply state they hate her and are done with it. What more proof does one need of mindless hate?

Iris should have been Ash's sarcastic 'pushes-buttons' rival, who appears frequently. Bianca should have been Ash's traveling companion, but who also collects badges.

Red and Blue

Iris should have been Ash's sarcastic 'pushes-buttons' rival, who appears frequently. Bianca should have been Ash's traveling companion, but who also collects badges.

I don't think the anime could have pulled off a companion who also did gym battles. That would have taken up too many episodes

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I also find it amusing how the haters never point out the flaws in Iris, they simply state they hate her and are done with it. What more proof does one need of mindless hate?

She is hated for reasons. Hate and love wouldn't exist without reasons and facts.

To sum it up quick:

- She was the second female lead with a second type master goal and that type of goal is flawed to be a goal in the active on-screen part of the series.
- The goal went nowhere. There wasn't even any competition to prove her strength as potential dragon master like Whirl Cup was to Misty. Instead Clair and Drayden appeared. Two regular gym leaders Ash could defeat.
- With that she was pretty much the girl with the least amount of focus on her goal. The three previous girls already were competent enough in battles, especially Misty. And since the focus is on Ash the whole time in terms of battles, she had no particular reason to be in the series except to play the obligatory female protagonist for the quotes.
-Nostalgiafags defends Misty because of that simple reason: Nostalgia. Iris doesn't have that. Her gag was annoying to many people and she seems to can't take any critic to the same argument.

I am not an Iris hater myself and no BW hater in generell, but I can understand the critic. She got development and there are many good and emotional scenes with her, but she had many flaws. She was one of the least popular even in Japan.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
She is hated for reasons. Hate and love wouldn't exist without reasons and facts.

To sum it up quick:

- She was the second female lead with a second type master goal and that type of goal is flawed to be a goal in the active on-screen part of the series.
- The goal went nowhere. There wasn't even any competition to prove her strength as potential dragon master like Whirl Cup was to Misty. Instead Clair and Drayden appeared. Two regular gym leaders Ash could defeat.
- With that she was pretty much the girl with the least amount of focus on her goal. The three previous girls already were competent enough in battles, especially Misty. And since the focus is on Ash the whole time in terms of battles, she had no particular reason to be in the series except to play the obligatory female protagonist for the quotes.
-Nostalgiafags defends Misty because of that simple reason: Nostalgia. Iris doesn't have that. Her gag was annoying to many people and she seems to can't take any critic to the same argument.

I am not an Iris hater myself and no BW hater in generell, but I can understand the critic. She got development and there are many good and emotional scenes with her, but she had many flaws. She was one of the least popular even in Japan.

It doesn't help that she isn't submissive to ash, and isn't "girly-girl" which japan especially seems to dislike. Basically she wasn't waifu material and had no fanservice stuff.

Janovy

Banned

To sum it up quick:

Well obviously you are not an Iris hater. An Iris hater would never dare acknowledge that Iris had good sides to her and that at least some aspect of her story was well-written.

I respect people who are capable of looking at a character and saying 'this was good' and 'this was bad'. No character is perfect, but people sometimes act as if some characters are complete trash and without any redeeming traits whatsoever. It's very irritating.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
It pains me to say that unfortunately Iris was poorly written and her goal was overall not well executed. But to the point of not giving her a proper return like the previous female protagonists ? It's just adding salt to the injury to those who actually liked her. It's like they're trying to erase her instead of facing that they could've done so much better with her character and give her a last appearance to say they're sorry.

I remember in Best Wishes how Dawn's return was something I was very much looking forward to. It was almost one of the main reasons why I kept watching the show: I wanted to see Ash interact with his previous female friend and see how she would interact with the newest characters. Her staying 9 episodes was just the cherry on top. Why can't Iris have that ?

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
It pains me to say that unfortunately Iris was poorly written and her goal was overall not well executed. But to the point of not giving her a proper return like the previous female protagonists ? It's just adding salt to the injury to those who actually liked her. It's like they're trying to erase her instead of facing that they could've done so much better with her character and give her a last appearance to say they're sorry.

I remember in Best Wishes how Dawn's return was something I was very much looking forward to. It was almost one of the main reasons why I kept watching the show: I wanted to see Ash interact with his previous female friend and see how she would interact with the newest characters. Her staying 9 episodes was just the cherry on top. Why can't Iris have that ?

Because japan didn't like her and she wasn't a waifu character, so the writers won't bring her back so they can keep high ratings.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Because japan didn't like her and she wasn't a waifu character, so the writers won't bring her back so they can keep high ratings.

Actually I believe Iris is fairly popular over there, but she most likely isn't the most popular female lead. Its mainly the western fanbase that hates her it seems, at least to me anyways.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Actually I believe Iris is fairly popular over there, but she most likely isn't the most popular female lead. Its mainly the western fanbase that hates her it seems, at least to me anyways.

She is popular in the wrong demographic, aka tanned Girls doujinshi enthusiasts...lets leave that there.

But in the bigger side of the spectrum she isn't well received by the spending demographic given the bias towards dark skin chicks nor too much popular in the children demographic given that it criticized the MC.

She has her niche but it's hardly profitable.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Aside from a brief cameo, it seems unlikely that Iris will return in a way that feels that she was not just "shoehorned" in. With the remaining episodes likely dedicated to the League, Team Flare and goodbyes/mention of Alola I don't think we have enough episodes for a PWT mini-arc in which Iris competes as the new Opelucid Gym Leader.

Last edited:

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Aside from a brief cameo, it seems unlikely that Iris will return in a way that feels that she was not just "shoehorned" in. With the returning episodes likely dedicated to the League, Team Flare and goodbyes/mention of Alola I don't think we have enough episodes for a PWT mini-arc in which Iris competes as the new Opelucid Gym Leader.

What if she has an episode where she comes to kalos and then one where she battles drasna?

Red and Blue

What if she has an episode where she comes to kalos and then one where she battles drasna?

Okay but what episodes could you have that in? As Tsukuyomi stated any episodes that wont be used for the league or flare will likely focus on departure and Alola preparation

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Okay but what episodes could you have that in? As Tsukuyomi stated any episodes that wont be used for the league or flare will likely focus on departure and Alola preparation

I agree and it was mostly theoretical to how she could have come back since that would have made sense to happen before the league. Depends on how long and the league and TF arcs take though.

Status
Not open for further replies.