• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Iris the Backseat Driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Okay, 4 episodes into Best Wishes, with a fifth coming soon. I have seen all 4, and noticed that Iris seems to have done basically nothing in all of those episodes. I mean, she's commented on Ash's progress, and called him a n00b six or seven times, but what do we actually know about her? I want to know what her strengths are. May and Dawn were coordinators, Misty was a battler, Brock was a mix of the two, as well as the cook. Based on what I've seen of the trailers, Dent looks like he might go for Musicals ("Stage On" for May, "Daijobu" for Dawn, and now Dent gets "It's Tasting Time!" Last I checked, no battler characters get catchphrases, although I may have to check again.)

Back to my original point, what does everyone think Iris will actually do down the road?

GeoFerocious

Super Effective
Best Wishes seems to be a 'reboot' of sorts and I think the general opinion is that Iris is just there to be a traveling buddy.

Maybe she learns to communicate/work with Pokemon better because of Ash/Dento and ultimately earns some respect from her father when they reach that point.

Teshub

Banned
I saw many people write that they "love Iris", and that "Iris is amazing" on several message boards. Maybe all Iris needs to do is not be May or Dawn, and that should be enough for her to satisfy people. She is like the magnesium that comes after digesting too many sweets. I really expect Iris to be just a tour guide (like I predicted many months ago) and have a final arc with the 8th gym. That's about it.

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Maybe she learns to communicate/work with Pokemon better because of Ash/Dento and ultimately earns some respect from her father when they reach that point.

Is Shaga supposed to be her father? I haven't played Black or White yet.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
I saw many people write that they "love Iris", and that "Iris is amazing" on several message boards. Maybe all Iris needs to do is not be May or Dawn, and that should be enough for her to satisfy people. She is like the magnesium that comes after digesting too many sweets. I really expect Iris to be just a tour guide (like I predicted many months ago) and have a final arc with the 8th gym. That's about it.

So it's not okay for people to say they love Iris but it's okay when you say you love Dawn>.>you're kind of a hypocrite

Teshub

Banned
So it's not okay for people to say they love Iris but it's okay when you say you love Dawn>.>you're kind of a hypocrite

Eh...no, I did not say that. I mean, since people already like Iris a lot there is really no need for her to do anything extra (as the OP was stating she hasn't done much). She already has a built up fanbase.

pokenutter

Warrior of Time

Can we leave personal grudges out of this one, please? And can I get your opinion?

Nacreous

Fire trainer
Can we leave personal grudges out of this one, please? And can I get your opinion?

Ok,sorry...some things just annoy me>.>

Anyway,hmmm...even though Iris hasn't done much I think she is very likeable due to her personality.She's fun to watch^^I like that the writers focused more on her character and not on her pkmn...she just has one so there's not big problem>.>
So,even though she might not participate in some kind of competition I think she'll have a very important role in the storyline,maybe with the legendary dragons

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Eh...no, I did not say that. I mean, since people already like Iris a lot there is really no need for her to do anything extra (as the OP was stating she hasn't done much). She already has a built up fanbase.

What you're saying is probably true, but i want her to atleast do something.

Does she have a goal yet?

pokenutter

Warrior of Time

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I think she will just train her Dragon-type pokemon and get to the final gym when she's ready to accept Ash's challenge. Then after a close battle which in it Ash will win, she will leave.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I wouldn't call Iris a backseat driver, but I have notice that they aren't being fair to Iris and Dento since none of them aren't were the anime main character list like Dawn and the others are. But please give her a chance. Is she really that bad to all of you?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Iris is the new Misty; be prepared for her to do nothing at all yet still get tons of fans. Seriously though, I thought it was obvious that Iris would be different than May and Dawn as soon as we found out she wasn't doing to do Contests nor Musicals. Just don't count Iris out yet; she might end up surprising us later ;)

Last edited:

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
I wouldn't call Iris a backseat driver, but I have notice that they aren't being fair to Iris and Dento since none of them aren't were the anime main character list like Dawn and the others are. But please give her a chance. Is she really that bad to all of you?

I'm actually a big fan of Iris; I'm just getting impatient waiting for her to do something.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
So if Iris doesn't end up doing anything, then I guess people wouldn't want her to have a cameo either. I think people are being very unfair to Iris. When Misty first came on, she basically stood and watched Ash from behind along with Brock. But after she left people said she should have a cameo just like May and Dawn should. But if they get one, Iris should too. People need to understand that from watching May and Dawn that Brock was the one that was backseat. But Iris and Dento are both new, so we shouldn't say that yet. Plus, why is it not okay for the girl to do nothing and no one cares if Dento doesn't do anything? No offense, but I don't want to see another good guy being ignored. It makes it seems sexist that people would like the girls more than the guys.

Last edited:
At first, I really wanted Iris to have some sort of goal but now I just don't care.
In my opinion, Iris is already a better character than the previous girls who traveled with Ash.
Don't get me wrong - I really did like Misty,May and Dawn, but I just like Iris more :)

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
So if Iris doesn't end up doing anything, then I guess people wouldn't want her to have a cameo either. I think people are being very unfair to Iris. When Misty first came on, she basically stood and watched Ash from behind along with Brock. But after she left people said she should have a cameo just like May and Dawn should. But if they get one, Iris should too. People need to understand that from watching May and Dawn that Brock was the one that was backseat. But Iris and Dento are both new, so we shouldn't say that yet. Plus, why is it not okay for the girl to do nothing and no one cares if Dento doesn't do anything? No offense, but I don't want to see another good guy being ignored. It makes it seems sexist that people would like the girls more than the guys.

Their just characters..... saying how they are being treated by fans is unfair is just stupid.

Also Misty didnt do anything but she was given a cameo too, so I am sure Iris will get a cameo too, unless she doesn't leave Ash's group yet.

Sapphire Kirby

Evaluation time!
Iris is the new Misty; be prepared for her to do nothing at all yet still get tons of fans. Seriously though, I thought it was obvious that Iris would be different than May and Dawn as soon as we found out she wasn't doing to do Contests nor Musicals :S
This.

As Isshu is a Kanto clone, Ash needs an Isshu Misty. Both Misty and Iris are female Gymleaders with non-active goal (as in we didn't get a whole lot of focus given to Misty being the best Water Pokemon trainer as opposed to May and Dawn's contest goals). The writers have supposedly become wiser, so when we learn Iris' goal, it will probably get the same attention as Misty's water training dream. The writers are going the lengths to make Ash the only hero of this saga. Now let's see my oppinion blow up in my face.

Teshub

Banned

Because we already have Ash (a guy, as far as we can tell). Hence why most fans put more attention to the girl travel companion rather than the boy, overall. Iris already did the obligatory bickering and snide remarks towards Ash, and helped him when he got in a pinch. The show is very by the numbers.
I know the fan can fall trap to their own wishful thinking, previously expecting Iris to get as much attention as Dawn. And hoping she had some kind of special power when it came to pokemon. None of that is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.