• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Iris the Backseat Driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
I know the fan can fall trap to their own wishful thinking, previously expecting Iris to get as much attention as Dawn(or May). And hoping she had some kind of special power when it came to pokemon. None of that is happening.
Fixed a small portion there.

@Bolded. Hypocrisy much? Lol.

Agreed with the rest. Where did that stuff about her being able to telecommunicate with Pokemon (or whatever it was) come from?

alicetama

Pokabu <3
Fixed a small portion there.

@Bolded. Hypocrisy much? Lol.

Agreed with the rest. Where did that stuff about her being able to telecommunicate with Pokemon (or whatever it was) come from?
Uh... It was before BW came out, and it was right when her chara design was leaked, and people were making guesses and assumptions as to what her personality is like and what was her purpose.(<was forum stalker before she joined. xD)

Now, don't you guys think your jumping to far ahead as to making assumptions about her goals? I mean, it's only 4(soon to be 5) episodes in, and the lot of you are already saying that she won't be of any importance to the storyline at all(or, at least some of you) and think that she has no goal. Let's wait for the storyline to progress and we'll see.

Teshub

Banned
I wonder how Iris will react to Dento. I know people like to harp about the "glorious" original trio, but the interaction between Misty and Brock was still relatively muted and Brock had that interest in girls affliction that prevented him from being taken seriously.
I think Iris and Dento might become like girlfriends or something like that.

Why do people think Dento will be girly? He looks like he's dressed like a butler.
And yes, I know that they gave him like this sparkly background in a few shots, but didn't Ash get one of those before too?

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
Uh... It was before BW came out, and it was right when her chara design was leaked, and people were making guesses and assumptions as to what her personality is like and what was her purpose.(<was forum stalker before she joined. xD)

Now, don't you guys think your jumping to far ahead as to making assumptions about her goals? I mean, it's only 4(soon to be 5) episodes in, and the lot of you are already saying that she won't be of any importance to the storyline at all(or, at least some of you) and think that she has no goal. Let's wait for the storyline to progress and we'll see.

I know it was then, it just seems a bit random to suddenly say, "Hey! She's probably psychic with Pokemon!" ;)

Wait and see sounds like a good idea to me. Though you've stalked the forum- you must know that'll never happen here XD

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Why do people think Dento will be girly? He looks like he's dressed like a butler.
And yes, I know that they gave him like this sparkly background in a few shots, but didn't Ash get one of those before too?

Never in a preview for a new series. His monologue also helps this particular image.

alicetama

Pokabu <3

Brock also gets lots of them.

@pokenutter: The monologue and his voice cannot be helped. Mamoru Miyano has been known to voice(very unusual) men, but never girly.(...Well, okay, Tamaki can be questionable.) And they all(dunno about Tamaki) can kick some serious a** (<3 Kid.)

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Never in a preview for a new series. His monologue also helps this particular image.

Hurray for having 2 guys and 2 girls this time! [/Sarcasm]

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
Backseat driver my backside ;) When the final gym battle comes down to Mijumaru vs Kibago, and (no sarcasm on my part) it becomes the most epic battle in the history of the Pokemon animé, lets make up our mind then about that eh?

I know she hasnt caught anything yet, or even tried, or even had something interesting with her family, but the writers will do something. Soon.

Teshub

Banned
Backseat driver my backside ;) When the final gym battle comes down to Mijumaru vs Kibago, and (no sarcasm on my part) it becomes the most epic battle in the history of the Pokemon animé, lets make up our mind then about that eh?

I know she hasnt caught anything yet, or even tried, or even had something interesting with her family, but the writers will do something. Soon.

And you know this how?

I think people need to realize that Iris/Dento are only traveling companions, nothing else. There is simply no time to have Iris prepare a serious team for Ash to battle in the last gym. Her role is to support Ash in his goal and provide some entertainment. More likely we are getting Shanga to take that position, and Iris serving as a warm up. Battle between baby pokemon is epic, btw?

J-boogie200

I don't think she is. I think we should give everyone a chance this saga, when you start to develop pre-conceived notions about things, you set yourself up for disappointment, because you already are believing something that hasn't happened yet, or may not even happen.

Iris is her own character, I personally love her. She can be this way whole saga, and she would still be magic! <3

BlueDragonfangirl

I wonder how Iris will react to Dento. I know people like to harp about the "glorious" original trio, but the interaction between Misty and Brock was still relatively muted and Brock had that interest in girls affliction that prevented him from being taken seriously.

LOL I like your ideaXD They'd be like "Oh my gosh did you see how cute that dress was?" I can't remember Brock being excited like Dento was when battling in gym.

TsukiMirage

Rikudou Master
I think people need to realize that Iris/Dento are only traveling companions, nothing else. There is simply no time to have Iris prepare a serious team for Ash to battle in the last gym. Her role is to support Ash in his goal and provide some entertainment. More likely we are getting Shanga to take that position, and Iris serving as a warm up. Battle between baby pokemon is epic, btw?
Why would she have to prepare a team? Why couldn't there logically be a team of pokemon already at the gym for her to use. We saw that kind of set up before. Not to mention it's just as possible that she has more pokemon in storage. It's far to soon to assume that Iris won't be doing anything, Seeing as there hasn't really be an option of her to go forward.

Teshub

Banned
LOL I like your ideaXD They'd be like "Oh my gosh did you see how cute that dress was?" I can't remember Brock being excited like Dento was when battling in gym.

James is no longer cosplaying as a woman, so might as well have Dento do some of that, considering it was done quite a bit in Kanto if my memory serves me right.

Why would she have to prepare a team? Why couldn't there logically be a team of pokemon already at the gym for her to use. We saw that kind of set up before. Not to mention it's just as possible that she has more pokemon in storage. It's far to soon to assume that Iris won't be doing anything, Seeing as there hasn't really be an option of her to go forward.

I don't remember Ash ever traveling with anyone for a long time, then SURPRISE, they show up with a killer team ready to pwn him. It can happen, but somehow I think it's unlikely. But I believe she will make one or two catches.

Last edited:

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
And you know this how?

I think people need to realize that Iris/Dento are only traveling companions, nothing else. There is simply no time to have Iris prepare a serious team for Ash to battle in the last gym.

Battle between baby pokemon is epic, btw?

Lol hold your horses :D I was joking; I was just reacting to "Iris has done, and will do nothing," I wasnt being serious!

Pikachu has epic battles no? Baby Pokemon right there, Pika vs Tyson's Meowth was not such a poor battle.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
The writer's just can't win. First people complained that Dawn and her Contest took up to much of Ash's screen time (Which is really funny considering how much focus Ash gained with Paul, and how much Dawn lost) and now here we are back in the old ways where Ash get's the starter's back to back and the girl sits down, shuts up, and stays out of Ash's screen time and people are still complaining? Gotta love Pokemon's fanbase.

Anyway as for the topic give Iris a chance. It's pretty obvious she won't be as big as the last two girl's, but that doesn't mean she won't be a good character. We're so use to seeing the girl's doing something competitive that we forget that this is how Pokemon use to be.

TsukiMirage

Rikudou Master
I don't remember Ash ever traveling with anyone for a long time, then SURPRISE, they show up with a killer team ready to pwn him. It can happen, but somehow I think it's unlikely. But I believe she will make one or two catches.
What about Misty? It may not have been a "long time" but before they arrived at Cerulean gym, We had no idea what pokemon Misty had on her. Not to mention she has also shown to keep several others there too. If Iris is the "new Misty", Then it can be excepted that she has quite a team prepared for the final badge challenge.

Teshub

Banned
What about Misty? It may not have been a "long time" but before they arrived at Cerulean gym, We had no idea what pokemon Misty had on her. Not to mention she has also shown to keep several others there too. If Iris is the "new Misty", Then it can be excepted that she has quite a team prepared for the final badge challenge.

Big difference here, 8th gym is right before the League. And when we first met Misty she was fishing for pokemon, you know actually seeking to build a team. Iris, she mostly pinched cheeks of pokemon, but at least the TR fight gave her some experience for her kibago.

Darkxninga

o_o... it's...only been 4 EPISODES...and people are saying Iris won't do nothing at all!? When Misty first appeared (For example) we had NO idea what she was gonna do (or who she really was if you didnt play the games back then). You would thought if you only watched the first 4 or 5 episodes "Oh, a girl named Misty. Ah yeah she'll just follow Ash and be there like his chair pillow for support". Misty had tons of stuff that focused on her although she was a side/following main character. We have tons of episodes left, people are judging and predicting things waayyy toooo earrlllyyyy imo. Did we know Dawn would end up with the pokemon she had on her team in the first four episodes? Nuuu~ Did we know what May woulda done in the first 4 episodes? Mayybbbeeee (i can't remember all the way but i know she said she wasnt sure on her goal and didnt like pokemon, >_> so someone coulda said "well she said she hates pokemon (in the beginning)) so...she'll be doing nothing alllll season!" Although we know Iris is a gym leader (from the spoilers and such), i know she'll be more than just a tour guide with episodes maybe focusing on her mostly like how misty had (like the misty mermaid episode....) And nothing is wrong with (some) people liking Iris. Some people liked Dawn when she was in the poster for pokemon with Ash and whoever or even in the first few episodes. And same with Dento on this stuff.
O_O who in the world said Dento was girly? Where did that come from? He's not even seen in an episode xD and he's "girly". If he was, his preview of him with yanapuu (-_- that green monkey!) would have been with hearts~ some flowers~ some lovely bow in his green hair~ or maybe him crossdressing in the whole preview with a bonus of some shiny lipstick.
And yes I agree with you Platinum Fan. Now im surprised that no one said or predicted what TR would be like now throughout the series.

Last edited:

TsukiMirage

Rikudou Master
Big difference here, 8th gym is right before the League. And when we first met Misty she was fishing for pokemon, you know actually seeking to build a team. Iris, she mostly pinched cheeks of pokemon, but at least the TR fight gave her some experience for her kibago.
You asked for an example of where Ash traveled with someone who latter revealed several unseen pokemon to use against him in a gym match. There's no real difference. Just like with Misty, Iris could have the majority of her team stored at the gym and when it comes time to battle she'll have something fitting the status of the final gym leader. And considering we're a LONG way off til the eighth gym, Iris has plenty of time to not only catch more pokemon, But to show her battle prowess.

Status
Not open for further replies.